closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Network cabling query

Network cabling query

I want to try and hardwire the second floor of my house when my home office is - the office has a telephone socket directly above where the master socket is on the ground - does that mean there will be already a big enough space for me to thread a cable and put a port on the wall in the office and on the ground?

Any simple way to check without smashing holes in the wall?

Network cabling query

Not guaranteed that there will be a usable void, open up both sockets and have a poke around. Also try giving the cables in both sockets a gentle pull to see if they move?

In my house I had to run the cables externally, just make sure if you do this that you use proper external network cable.

I've recently started using powerlines and found them to be excellent. Is that not an option?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyguitar View Post
    I've recently started using powerlines and found them to be excellent. Is that not an option?
    I want it for an Access Point on the first floor.

The proper way would be to use an endoscope, however it could be a costly option for a one of task. How about prodding it with a curtain wire alongside existing phone cabling? You can attach networking cable to it and retreave from downstairs, if the test run is successful.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    The proper way would be to use an endoscope, however it could be a costly option for a one of task. How about prodding it with a curtain wire alongside existing phone cabling? You can attach networking cable to it and retreave from downstairs, if the test run is successful.

Good idea

I just google it and endoscope/borescope/snake cameras are cheap as chips on amazon. (Professional rugged search kit costs arm and leg though or so I've been told)
    Last edited by VDG; 18th November 2018 at 21:13.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Journeyman
    if the existing cable moves you could use it as a draw wire to pull your new cable in. Just use a nylon draw tape which you can get from Toolstation for about £3. Use the existing cable to pull the new network cable and the draw tape down(or up). Then when the new cable is in pull the telephone cable back up using the draw tape. Make sure you tape the cables on securely when pulling and make a note of the terminations to re instate the telephone connection.

If it is tight it can be notoriously difficult to pull in a second cable even using a draw tape, and can risk damaging the first.

I would be inclined to use the original cable to pull in two new cables, or if it is really tight just pull in a single Cat 5 which can carry two conventional telephone lines as well as 100BASE-TX in a single cable.

Master
    You can buy cheap endoscopes on eBay, I have one you can use if you like but not sure it will tell you much. Without a rod, the cable is very flexible so no way to guide it over distance.

My first stop would be checking movement on the existing cables if it’s moving freely you should be right.

If not a cable rod might be better than tape, with a scope to try and tease the route.

Have you considered either the power line adapters to connect the ap? I use them successfully in our flat or a mesh network solution?
    Recently set up one for a friend and they get whole home coverage where it was spotty before
    Have a look at amplifi from unifi, have a good reputation.

If you pull a new cable in over an existing cable, you will burn through the insulation of the existing cable where the two cables touch (like a rope burn on your hand).

The correct tool is a cable rod or fish tape: https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/cable-access/cat831004

You can get Powerline wireless access points: https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/store...access-points/

Master
    We drive a second access point via a powerline link.

Craftsman
    If your brave you could try and use the existing phone line as a draw wire, attach two new CAT5 cables to it and pull it down to the master point one cable becomes the phone again the other being your network cable. This is assuming you’ve got stud walls or it’s in a cavity or exceptionally lucky a conduit!. I’d drop the plate off the master and have a look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk