closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sleeping out in Scotland in December - what kit?

Sleeping out in Scotland in December - what kit?

Hi folks, my daughter is supporting a homeless charity this December by being sponsored to sleep rough in Aberdeen for a night.
    Whilst I applaud her for her idealism and great intentions, I remember how uncomfortable this can be.

Are there any recommendations for a sleeping and/or bivvi bag to help her through the night? Nothing too expensive as I’m pretty sure it’ll never be used again.....

Cheers,
    Adam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Adam

Get her an Artic army sleeping bag ( like 233003860539 on eBay)
    £40, she’ll be warm. Needs something for the face as well ( face gets real cold)
    She’ll need somewhere dry to sleep, and a cardboard box or three to flatten and use as mattress and isolate from the cold. If nowhere dry she’ll need a goretex bivi like 123494993849

Added benefit is that if you think she’ll never use it again I am sure someone will treasure it.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    Hi folks, my daughter is supporting a homeless charity this December by being sponsored to sleep rough in Aberdeen for a night.......

.................. Nothing too expensive as I’m pretty sure it’ll never be used again.....
    Fair play to your daughter!

But..... it should, by definition, be a challenging experience.

Newspaper, card board and plastic bags; and if she is cold she can move around. A lot. And then some more. She'll live. They will have medics. If she gets hypothermia then they'll get her treated and she will have an anecdote!

I commend your protectiveness; but to go well-equipped surely misses the point.

To buy something that won't be used again is criminal, nor will it make it a worthwhile or memorable experience for her.

She needs to rough it.

Sleeping rough, is what it is.

Bless her - she'll do it, and enjoy it, and Dad buying a 500 tog double down waterproof North Face sleeping bag will only ruin it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was trying to help an ex 7RHA last week [another young soldier abandoned after service].
    he was in a group sleeping rough,one had a 58 bag and one had an Arctic bag they all had loads of cardboard on the floor and duvets etc.strewn around.
    I tried to help him but he didn’t want anything other than a sandwhich he still had his military bearing,I gave his friend a long coat then shook hands with them all.

I would try Decathlon, they're bound to do a cheap 4 season synthetic sleeping bag. Outwell do cheap sleeping bags that would be fine too. As it doesn't need to be carried, weight will not matter.

She would probably need a mat too. Can she not try and borrow something from someone? I suppose she could donate anything she buys once she's finished with it. I'm sure a homeless charity or even scouts would be happy to take any unwanted camping gear.

Fair play to her. I've camped out in the wilds in minus temperatures but I have the right gear for it. If you don't, it can be pretty miserable but she will have company so she should be fine. Good luck to her!!

These events have become more about Instagram likes and virtue signalling than genuine support for the homeless.

Tell her not to bother and send what you would have spent on fancy kit to a homeless charity.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    These events have become more about Instagram likes and virtue signalling than genuine support for the homeless.

Tell her not to bother and send what you would have spent on fancy kit to a homeless charity.
    Two points:

I dont think they allow phones. (That is, if it is properly organised in one area, with security)
    The participants generally seek sponsorship.
    Last edited by blackal; 18th November 2018 at 09:20.

charity shop jumper and coat which can then be given away to someone who needs it after the event , wearing hundreds of pounds of thermal gear is just an insult to the ppl that have to do it for real.

a hip flask containing something warming.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    Hi folks, my daughter is supporting a homeless charity this December by being sponsored to sleep rough in Aberdeen for a night.
    Blimey, I heard the North Sea oil business was tough these days, but I didn't think it had got that bad.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you bought a sleeping bag you could donate it immediately after the event.
    The old army 58 bags where very warm and had a rubber base.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Normal-58...UAAOSwybpboMjO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTheBob View Post
    Fair play to your daughter!

But..... it should, by definition, be a challenging experience.

Newspaper, card board and plastic bags; and if she is cold she can move around. A lot. And then some more. She'll live. They will have medics. If she gets hypothermia then they'll get her treated and she will have an anecdote!

I commend your protectiveness; but to go well-equipped surely misses the point.

To buy something that won't be used again is criminal, nor will it make it a worthwhile or memorable experience for her.

She needs to rough it.

Sleeping rough, is what it is.

Bless her - she'll do it, and enjoy it, and Dad buying a 500 tog double down waterproof North Face sleeping bag will only ruin it!

More or less this ^^^

Let her choose herself: A+ gear to fight the cold weather; on the other side: using materials that the homeless use and giving the money for the gear to charity.

Menno

Craftsman
    At the end of the day, it gives folk a taste and hopefully a little understanding of what many face every night. Good on her.

Let her buy second hand and give them away to those who really need it afterwards
    No need to go technical and spent big bucks
    Anything in wool even wet will keep her warm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by raptor; 18th November 2018 at 11:31.

Agree with this, friend I know did this, not many showed up in fairness, but the IG it got her afterwards.....
    my advice help out at the local soup kitchens, donate cloths etc.. respect to your daughter though

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    The old army 58 bags where very warm and had a rubber base.
    I remember a week-long exercise in Catterick where the temperature didn't go above zero; all of the guys who had a '58 pattern without either a liner or a bivi bag didn't get any sleep for the duration (mercifully I'd bought myself a 4 season Snugpak and a Gore Tex bivi bag the year before).

My advice would be to wrap up warm and donate the money to the cause; she might not get any sleep or enjoy the experience at the time but will probably remember it fondly nevertheless.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Good on her. The main thing is to keep dry, the rest is a bonus :)

PS just to add, she may want to have a dry run at home and try to get more or less comfortable on wooden floor - sleeping/sitting on hard surface is really tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Blimey, I heard the North Sea oil business was tough these days, but I didn't think it had got that bad.
    LOL
    Last edited by VDG; 18th November 2018 at 13:46.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Cheers chaps.

I’ll let her choose if she wants anything and see how it goes.

A used army sleeping bag is a good shout and will be appreciated by someone afterwards.

Another tip is to wear lots of layers and not rely solely on the sleeping bag for warmth.

Agree. A brisk walk and a warm drink just before going to bed also helps.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

They are more about raising awareness and understanding of the issues - particularly in respect of younger people.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    They are more about raising awareness and understanding of the issues - particularly in respect of younger people.
    Exactly this...but raising awareness often also has a huge knock on effect on fundraising. I applaud her efforts to act while others (governments included) do nothing.

A (fantastic) charity local to me arrange a sleep out every second year. They put together an info pack for this year’s event that you may find helpful:

http://www.doorwayproject.org.uk/wp-...ation-pack.pdf

If you do end up buying something, remember that the charity itself might be able to find a good home for it afterwards.

Didn’t Billy Connolly say that Scotland has 2 seasons: June and Winter :-) Good luck!

Blog Entries
    I have a nice self inflating roll mat if you want it, just give me your address.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks Jimp, very generous.

She’s decided a roll and sleeping bag with layers will do fine.
    For some reason , I don’t think boxes are allowed?
    It’s out in the open so no way to get away from the elements so not exactly realistic but it’s bringing a lot of focus to the issue here and raising funds for a great charity.

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fun...ray1&pageUrl=1

Cheers,
    Adam.

Master
    Done.

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    I have a nice self inflating roll mat if you want it, just give me your address.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

That's a very kind offer - in the true spirit of TZ.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    here in Glasgow the essentials for rough sleepers keeping the cold out seem to be a huge bottle of super strength cider and a handful of dog ends collected from those ashtrays on top of bins or if you're feeling flush, a tenner bag of scag.

Master
    Where i live the council actively remove & dispose of sleeping bags & the like from anyone on the street. There's a local charity which is permanently asking for donations of replacement sleeping bags for them to distribute.

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    here in Glasgow the essentials for rough sleepers keeping the cold out seem to be a huge bottle of super strength cider and a handful of dog ends collected from those ashtrays on top of bins or if you're feeling flush, a tenner bag of scag.
    Cider? Ahem

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Done.
    Thank you very much, it is greatly appreciated.

Craftsman
    You should see it here in Seattle. Lines of tents along the streets. Most green spaces around road interchanges within the city are full of tents also. Then there's all the old vans and rv's.

Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Cider? Ahem

Too expensive for the average street person these days.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    You should see it here in Seattle. Lines of tents along the streets. Most green spaces around road interchanges within the city are full of tents also. Then there's all the old vans and rv's.
    I’m guessing it’s not a Caravan Club weekend?