closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro Racing Gaming Simulator Cockpit

Pro Racing Gaming Simulator Cockpit

Anyone had or own one of these, i am seriuosly looking into this but wouldnt know where to start.

Pro Racing Gaming Simulator Cockpit

I know the guys who own https://www.vesaro.com/store/pc/home.asp.

Amazing kit
    Last edited by Anygreg; 19th November 2018 at 18:55.

This is my rig. It consists of:

Sim Lab GT1 Evo cockpit
    OMP TRS-E seat
    AccuForce Pro v2 wheel
    Fanatec Formula rim converted to USB by Simracingmachines.com
    Fanatec CSP v3 pedals
    Thrustmaster TH8 shifter
    DSD P1 and P2 button boxes
    Oculus Rift CV1 HMD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    This is my rig. It consists of:

Sim Lab GT1 Evo cockpit
    OMP TRS-E seat
    AccuForce Pro v2 wheel
    Fanatec Formula rim converted to USB by Simracingmachines.com
    Fanatec CSP v3 pedals
    Thrustmaster TH8 shifter
    DSD P1 and P2 button boxes
    Oculus Rift CV1 HMD

Crikey!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Crikey!!!
    There are some much more expensive setups out there. You can get full motion cockpits if you are prepared to spend the money.

A great YouTube channel for reviewing high end sim racing gear is the Sim Racing Garage - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT_...WSm7oziV1OZloQ

wow Phil ! haha

what platform do you use for that?

I race online in iRacing. I also have Assetto Corsa and the new early access Assetto Corsa Competizione. 90% of my racing is in iRacing.

I race online in iRacing. I also have Assetto Corsa and the new early access Assetto Corsa Competizione. 90% of my racing is in iRacing.
    where do I start with this?

for your rig, whats the cost?

Here is my GT Sport sim.

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    where do I start with this?

for your rig, whats the cost?
    What do you race at the moment?

My cockpit and seat cost around £750. My wheel cost £1000 with the extra rim costing £500. The shifter cost £120 and pedals cost £400. The Oculus Rift was £400. The button boxes cost £150 and an extra set of magnetic shifter paddles for the AccuForce rim cost £130.

iRacing is a subscription service. They are currently running a 50% discount for new members. Extra tracks cost $15 and cars $12 over and above the base tracks and cars.

Blog Entries
    Good God! I did not realise kit like this even existed! My hat off to those who indulge and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Good God! I did not realise kit like this even existed! My hat off to those who indulge and enjoy!
    Whilst expensive, my rig is towards the lower end of what people race with. Wheels cost up to £4000 with custom rims costing up to £3000. Here's an example of a custom rim:

GPX Wheel by Precision Sim Engineering, on Flickr

I can get great discounts on Thrustmaster wheels if anyone is interested.

Master
    A different world. Wow!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I noticed Guy Martin used one of these for practising the ‘Ring:

http://www.aeonsim.com/product/aeon-...-play-package/

Master

Simulator cockpits. You're doing it wrong https://sexyrealsexdolls.com
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    D-box solutions are the best you can get for a multi axis home sim rig. The problem is each actuator costs around £4K, making it a very expensive option. There are cheaper home motion rigs which move the seat and can also move the platform to simulate rear traction loss.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Anyone had or own one of these, i am seriuosly looking into this but wouldnt know where to start.
    I have one. Might be getting rid of it soon. Not using it much.

Master
    Just a question Phil, why not buy a banger and get to Oulton Park for real experiences for a year? Cheaper and it's real with real memories. Serious question.

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    Just a question Phil, why not buy a banger and get to Oulton Park for real experiences for a year? Cheaper and it's real with real memories. Serious question.
    I do a dozen or so track days per year and I have an entry level sim rig. You don't have to fill up a sim rig with petrol, or fit new tyres, or spend 6 months and thousands of pounds rebuilding the thing when you put it into the wall. Nor do you have to get up at stupid o'clock in the morning to drive to the middle of nowhere in the pouring rain with a van full of crap. If you bin it, you just press reset rather than take a tin pigeon ride to A&E. You can change your set up instantly at the click of a mouse and not after 2 hours rattling spanners. Sim rigs take up a lot less room and the driving experience I find is 90% as rewarding with zero risk. Bang for the buck, a sim rig wins by a country mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Sim rigs take up a lot less room and the driving experience I find is 90% as rewarding with zero risk. Bang for the buck, a sim rig wins by a country mile.
    Each to their own but I can’t possibly see how this can be the case. Much like there can be no comparison regardless of how much you spend between a flight sim and flying a real fast jet.

Part of the thrill of racing is precisely that there is risk. To remove the risk and sit at home in your man cave is to remove the thrill. All IMO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Each to their own but I can’t possibly see how this can be the case. Much like there can be no comparison regardless of how much you spend between a flight sim and flying a real fast jet.

Part of the thrill of racing is precisely that there is risk. To remove the risk and sit at home in your man cave is to remove the thrill. All IMO of course.
    I know what you mean. When I was skydiving a lot of people liked wind tunnels as much as jumping. I didn't. I just saw tunnels as a training aid. Flying head first towards a planet at 260mph is thrilling. Floating about is a windy room holding hands is not. But I do find sim racing rewarding and it has nothing to do with the threat of death. Flights sims however are dull, as is flying. YMMV.
    Last edited by Groundrush; 14th May 2019 at 12:43.

I know what you mean. When I was skydiving a lot of people liked wind tunnels as much as jumping. I didn't. I just saw tunnels as a training aid. Flying head first towards a planet at 260mph is thrilling. Floating about is a windy room holding hands is not. But I do find sim racing rewarding and it has nothing to do with the threat of death. Flights sims however are dull, as is flying. YMMV.
    You’ve not done the right kind of flying 😉

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    You’ve not done the right kind of flying 
    Oh, I definitely have.

Sim racing has been my hobby since I bought my first PC in 1994. I got serious with it in 1999 when I took over one of the major sim racing forums at the time. I continued to run the forum until 2005 at which point it had over 50000 users.

I have always loved sim racing and racing real people online. I’ve made a lot of long term friends through it. That’s the main reason why I’ve continued, its a niche community which I’ve been a part of for a long time.

I have no interest in real racing. I can race online at any time to fit in with my family, something I couldn’t do in real life. Most of my racing at the moment happens in the mornings against Australians.

Oh, I definitely have.

That’s not flying...it’s falling with style 😂

Looks awesome 👊🏻

Master
    Oh, I definitely have.

Did you put your camera on a timer for that one.

Master
    Sim racing has been my hobby since I bought my first PC in 1994. I got serious with it in 1999 when I took over one of the major sim racing forums at the time. I continued to run the forum until 2005 at which point it had over 50000 users.

I have always loved sim racing and racing real people online. I’ve made a lot of long term friends through it. That’s the main reason why I’ve continued, its a niche community which I’ve been a part of for a long time.

I have no interest in real racing. I can race online at any time to fit in with my family, something I couldn’t do in real life. Most of my racing at the moment happens in the mornings against Australians.
    Understood, but do have a go on a real track sometime though, you'll find that it is far more rewarding and you'll find that on the real tracks there are tiny characteristics that you won't get on a sim no matter how good it is. coming out of Druidds at Oulton for instance there is an almost imperceptible dip that is higher at one side leading to nothing at the other side, at(relatively) slower speeds it doesn't matter, at higher speeds and in the wrong place the steering goes light giving that seat of the pants moment. As somebody said it's the thrill of trying to get it right at higher speeds that makes it's own reward. You'll also find that having driven the real track your skill on the sim will more than likely improve.

Master
    Understood, but do have a go on a real track sometime though, you'll find that it is far more rewarding and you'll find that on the real tracks there are tiny characteristics that you won't get on a sim no matter how good it is. coming out of Druidds at Oulton for instance there is an almost imperceptible dip that is higher at one side leading to nothing at the other side, at(relatively) slower speeds it doesn't matter, at higher speeds and in the wrong place the steering goes light giving that seat of the pants moment. As somebody said it's the thrill of trying to get it right at higher speeds that makes it's own reward. You'll also find that having driven the real track your skill on the sim will more than likely improve.
    I think it goes the other way. Sim driving helps on track as you know which way the track goes, where the brake points are etc etc. But no matter how good your kit at home it doesn’t replicate the real thing, sim driving is a thing of its own to be enjoyed for what it is.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I find the pedals the hardest thing. The belt driven or direct drive wheels are remarkable in feel and feedback but the problem with the braking is around knowing when the car is just about to lock up etc, which is dead through the rig.

I was using a fixed Omega GT rig but it became a bit of a nuisance so I actually downgraded to a playseat challenge and it's awesome. You can fold it up like a deck chair and while it's got movement when empty, once you sit in it the seat settles down fine.

I've found it really useful for learning tracks and lines before doing a real day there, because when you are driving it for real it's actually a bit easier with the gyros in your body giving you much more information.

Journeyman
    Damn this looks good. I have the PC capable of doing this but nothing else, time to start looking.

Goodness, this puts my former enjoyment of an F1 game on the original PlayStation to shame.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Journeyman
    I know this is an old thread but am just curious if anyone has a rig for sale?

Been toying with the idea for a while now and am going to take the plunge if the right setup comes along

Craftsman
    I thought this was a fairly imaginative cockpit setup.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    I thought this was a fairly imaginative cockpit setup.
    Haha... It would be tempting just to see the reaction from the Mrs 😂😂

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cfish2020 View Post
    Haha... It would be tempting just to see the reaction from the Mrs
    I'm a bit biased I used to own a gen5 Celica gt4 so for me that would be a superb setup

I do miss iRacing a bit and I'm really tempted to get back into it with a VR setup. Anyone else doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I do miss iRacing a bit and I'm really tempted to get back into it with a VR setup. Anyone else doing this?
    I race regularly in iRacing. The new season has just started. There were a lot of changes in the new build including the first test version of AI drivers and the NTMV7 (new tyre model version 7) getting rolled out to a lot more cars.

I bought a VR rig specifically for sim racing. It was a complete waste of money due to the vomit inducing weirdness of being completely sat still when your eyes are telling you you're going round corners, up hills, braking etc. After much perseverance I can now hold my lunch down but it's still too much of a mind bender to be either useful or fun. YMMV.

I bought a VR rig specifically for sim racing. It was a complete waste of money due to the vomit inducing weirdness of being completely sat still when your eyes are telling you you're going round corners, up hills, braking etc. After much perseverance I can now hold my lunch down but it's still too much of a mind bender to be either useful or fun. YMMV.
    Professional F1 simulators do not have VR. Says a lot about it I think.

It took a couple of weeks for me to get my VR legs. I had to make some changes to the sim settings and take it 5 minutes at a time to get used to it. Now I can go several hours at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Not really. In F1 sims they have motion and they simulate car systems. It isn’t possible at the moment to see the steering wheel. There is so much the driver has to do on their wheel that they need to see it. The F1 sims have huge projector screens which completely fill your field of view.

In iRacing I generally race the Skippy which doesn’t have any in car adjustments. I can do everything by touch. I also have a voice control app which I can ask to do things like refill the car in a pit stop.

As a home user, VR is amazing. It gives a proper 3D view with depth meaning I can race closer to other people. The newer headsets have less screen door effect and wider field of view to make the experience more realistic.
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 10th December 2019 at 10:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    I'd mostly say its because there have been queuing issues generated with VR that are more hassle to overcome than any benefits, so we have stuck with screens.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I thought I would give this a bump, I posted back in May on this thread and have ended up buying a very cheap set up to see if I liked this sim racing stuff. I bought a second hand logitech driving force GT wheel and pedals from someone at work for £30 and on gumtree found a Next Level Racing wheel stand also for £30, I use an office chair as my 'racing seat'. I am using my current PC (runs a GTX 1080) and a 50" TV I had laying around. I started playing with one of the forza games and I though it was a bit meh and lost interest quite quickly BUT, I then tried Assetto Corsa and yup, hooked. I bought all DLC as well and paid a donation to get the content manager for it as well, all very cheaply obtained. I also discovered the insane modding community for it as well (https://www.racedepartment.com/). I have even started to race (well stay out of everyone's way!) online and have found a couple of friendly servers that dont mind newer drivers.

Not sure if its worth my time upgrading anything (I keep my eye on gumtree, I may go for a G920), once I got the wheel set up correctly (it was really frustrating to play before I found online details on what to set everything too) it's been an absolute blast and have genuine butterflies going into the 1st corner of a race and hoping to come out the otherside unscathed.

Here is mine.
    GT-G wheel for GT Sport and Sparco Evo III seat.

There’s been a massive increase in the popularity of sim racing in the last couple of weeks. The number of pro drivers taking it up is amazing. Many of them are streaming on Twitch and YouTube too. It’s amazing to see my hobby of more than 20 years become so popular.

What better time to get back into iRacing? Here's a very old Logitech G25 wheel that was in the attic, an old 32" TV that was doing nothing in the spare room, my laptop and a Next Level Racing F-GT cockpit I just bought off t'internet. Brmmmm brmmmm.

What better time to get back into iRacing? Here's a very old Logitech G25 wheel that was in the attic, an old 32" TV that was doing nothing in the spare room, my laptop and a Next Level Racing F-GT cockpit I just bought off t'internet. Brmmmm brmmmm.
    Great to see you in the Skippy. It’s not much fun at Spa though.

Great to see you in the Skippy. It’s not much fun at Spa though.
    I do prefer open wheelers and Spa is an awesome track - even for the Skippy. I'm struggling to decide which other cars to buy; the Formula Renault 2.0 or the Dallara F3. I can't seem to find anywhere how popular each car is before I splash any cash.

I do prefer open wheelers and Spa is an awesome track - even for the Skippy. I'm struggling to decide which other cars to buy; the Formula Renault 2.0 or the Dallara F3. I can't seem to find anywhere how popular each car is before I splash any cash.
    I’ll take a look for you. Somewhere on the forum is participation for each category. I have most of the cars but have still raced the Skippy for 95% of my races.