closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Just for fun - poke fun at terrible ebay watches.

Just for fun - poke fun at terrible ebay watches.

I've just been browsing ebay, in the hunt for something vintage and interesting. And it's not what it used to be. There was a time when mainly private sellers were moving mainly honest watches. Now it seems to be mainly dealers pedalling mainly overpriced garbage.

I looked that this one:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oris-Vint...d/154224175836
    And I thought "Now there is a watch for a blind man." And that gave me the idea for this thread.

Here are the rules:
    1/ Find an obvious frankenwatch or fake watch on ebay (or similar.)
    2/ Ask a daft or funny question, or deliver a backhanded insult via a question.
    3/ Post a link to the sale & post the question and seller's answer (if any) here.
    4/ Funnier the better.

For that watch, I've asked:
    "Hi, this watch looks suitable for someone with very poor eyesight, would you agree that this is the case? Does it come with a spare set of dial crayons."

Yeah, I know, not a great effort from me. I'm sure you lot can do better...

Christ-has he printed that dial of the internet?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    I've just been browsing ebay, in the hunt for something vintage and interesting. And it's not what it used to be. There was a time when mainly private sellers were moving mainly honest watches. Now it seems to be mainly dealers pedalling mainly overpriced garbage.

I looked that this one:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oris-Vint...d/154224175836
    And I thought "Now there is a watch for a blind man." And that gave me the idea for this thread.

Here are the rules:
    1/ Find an obvious frankenwatch or fake watch on ebay (or similar.)
    2/ Ask a daft or funny question, or deliver a backhanded insult via a question.
    3/ Post a link to the sale & post the question and seller's answer (if any) here.
    4/ Funnier the better.

For that watch, I've asked:
    "Hi, this watch looks suitable for someone with very poor eyesight, would you agree that this is the case? Does it come with a spare set of dial crayons."

Yeah, I know, not a great effort from me. I'm sure you lot can do better...
    The guy in your link has a cracking collection, very tempted to make an offer on his Rolex

Holy cows that guy is selling a whole world of junk watches. My favourite description has to be this Omax which apparently is "the epitome of style and good taste":
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omax-Vint...EAAOSwMQNfs6Ps

Stunning!

It's a very eclectic collection indeed - but he is massively overpricing them.

The only watch out of the seventy odd he has listed that has any bids on it is a solid gold one currently for a tenner - and you know the buyer just wants to melt it down.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    make an offer on his Rolex
    I love the description:
    "one of the most beautiful timepieces I have ever been"

There's loving watches and then there's being so at one with them you can't tell the watch and yourself apart.

Given this one's beauty, I'm hardly surprised.

The "Rolex" is a corker isn't it? I saw it, but decided to leave it for someone else to poke fun at.

He's responded to my question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob on ebay
    Dear Mike,
    Thanks for the message. Yes it's easily read and I always make a point of informing people of that as I'm a pensioner and eyesight and watches don't always come together!
    I have a number of easily read watches for auction currently have a look and get back to me with what you want to do.
    Regards
    Bob

PS Never heard of dial crayons
    I've answered, pigeon English, because I want him to think my second sentence is a typo.
    It isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike on ebay
    Hi Bob,
    That's fine thanks. It would be a present, I'm worry though that they might be able to see it. I will think about, maybe bid.
    Regards,
    Mike.
    PS Dial crayons are used to restore beautiful finish on watches such as this. I think is Indian technique originally. Because you don't know crayons and own for a long time, probably means not restored.
    I'd love to see this seller proudly proclaiming that he hasn't used crayons on his dials.

'Cmon then chaps. What daftness can you conjure?