closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pro Racing Gaming Simulator Cockpit

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I’ll take a look for you. Somewhere on the forum is participation for each category. I have most of the cars but have still raced the Skippy for 95% of my races.
    Thanks Phil. I used to enjoy the Pro Mazda but nobody seems to be using it anymore - my iracing account has been dormant for 5 years until this week :D

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Thanks Phil. I used to enjoy the Pro Mazda but nobody seems to be using it anymore - my iracing account has been dormant for 5 years until this week :D
    You can find out weekly participation here:

https://members.iracing.com/jforum/p...t/2322320.page

There’s a hotfix being deployed tomorrow at 14:00. I suggest going to https://members.iracing.com/download/member/home.jsp and download all the cars, even the ones you don’t own. That way when the service goes down for deployment of the hotfix you can use Test Drive to test both cars. You can access Test Drive from https://testdrive.iracing.com/login.html. It does require registering when it is active but that is straightforward.

I prefer the Dallara F3 to the PM. It is a newer car with NTM7 and full damage.

You can find out weekly participation here:

https://members.iracing.com/jforum/p...t/2322320.page

There’s a hotfix being deployed tomorrow at 14:00. I suggest going to https://members.iracing.com/download/member/home.jsp and download all the cars, even the ones you don’t own. That way when the service goes down for deployment of the hotfix you can use Test Drive to test both cars. You can access Test Drive from https://testdrive.iracing.com/login.html. It does require registering when it is active but that is straightforward.

I prefer the Dallara F3 to the PM. It is a newer car with NTM7 and full damage.
    Thanks for the heads up Phil - I took full advantage of the test drive period and the Dallara F3 has won it. I quite enjoyed a few of the IMSA GTE/GT3 cars too... Back to the Skippys for now where I am not fast but proving to be a master of carnage avoidance.

Glad you enjoyed it. Maybe I’ll see you in the Skippys some time.

Master
    How has this thread passed me by!

I have a fairly basic rig at home (original PlaySeat Evo + G920 + shifter) that I used to use for iRacing several years ago. These days I work with full motion simulators for automotive and motorsport and I have to admit it sort of spoiled me and I don't race so much any more. It's mainly hooked up to an Xbox One for quick blasts in Forza Motorsport / Horizon etc.

Before my office shut down for Covid I borrowed a very high end VR gaming rig from work (dual 1080Ti with a Valve Index). Mainly been playing Dirt Rally and PCars2 for the VR novelty but perhaps I should fire up my old iRacing account.

Phil, I think iRacing has fairly good VR support these days doesn't it? Do you tend to race in VR or just "normal"?

Is iRacing any better than say Project Cars 2? I’m not that interested in racing other people, I tend to do time attack mostly, but I do like a sim with realistic handling. Maybe I’ve just got used to pc2 but it seems to be quite good in that department.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Is iRacing any better than say Project Cars 2? I’m not that interested in racing other people, I tend to do time attack mostly, but I do like a sim with realistic handling. Maybe I’ve just got used to pc2 but it seems to be quite good in that department.
    I would stick with what you've got, or perhaps give Assetto Corsa a go too. iRacing exists almost exclusively to allow racing against other real world players in a generally quite strict and authentic environment - having a subscription model weeds out the enthusiasts from the "punters" meaning the standard of sportsmanship and etiquette is normally very high.

They all have their foibles - normally tyre model related - but PCars2 and AC are both very good.

I used to think that Project Cars 2 was excellent. However, since getting a force feedback wheel, I have been using Assetto Corsa which is leaps and bounds better IMHO. The problem with PC2 is the inconsistency across the cars. Some are good, others not so much. Assetto Corsa is just stable and consistent. I’ve driven a number of the AC cars in reality on track. The simulated cars in AC are similar enough to be believable.
    I understand that iRacing s better still.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post

Phil, I think iRacing has fairly good VR support these days doesn't it? Do you tend to race in VR or just "normal"?
    I’ve been using VR exclusively since July 2017. I wouldn’t go back to the single monitor setup I used before. I don’t really have the room or money for a good triple setup. The Rift S allows me to put my rig anywhere in my office (it’s on wheels) and play. Previously I had a Rift CV1 which needed sensors. This was OK but less flexible.

iRacing is my favourite sim, it’s what I’ve raced most by a long way. It is the most expensive sim though. To get a decent amount of content you will have to spend over £300 plus have a subscription. If you don’t pay the sub you can’t use the content. That being said, I have subbed for 8 years and been very happy. It’s by far the best place for online racing. Recently iRacing introduced AI which is also very, very good. iRacing is definitely better than PC2.

I would suggest AC or rFactor 2 over PC2. Both are much better sims with lots of free mods. A newcomer in early access is Automobilista 2. It uses the same Madness engine as PC2 which means it has good graphics and VR support but models the cars better. PC2 has a lot of cars, many of which have very basic handling. AMS2 models a few cars in more detail. Initial impressions are good although it is a little rough round the edges. ACC is another option. It only covers GT3 racing however and has no mods so that may rule it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Probably not with my irating! Knocked out a quick Skippy skin to race with too - still a work in progress.
    My iRating is wobbling around 2000. I’ve been as high as 2200 and as low as 1100.

Master
    I’ve been using VR exclusively since July 2017. I wouldn’t go back to the single monitor setup I used before. I don’t really have the room or money for a good triple setup. The Rift S allows me to put my rig anywhere in my office (it’s on wheels) and play. Previously I had a Rift CV1 which needed sensors. This was OK but less flexible.
    Thanks Phil. I got everything setup yesterday and ran a couple of MX-5 global cup races (surprised myself with two podiums despite mediocre qualifying at Tsukuba). It transpires I’d raced iRacing far less than I thought: only a dozen races and results all over the shop but there was one win. I’ve got a D-class so I’ve acquired a Skip Barber and will race at Spa today and see how I get on.

Worked great with the Valve Index though I think there’s some further performance to be eeked out. I normally find it’s a bizarre and unpredictable combination of shader and aliasing settings that unlocks the last bit of performance with VR. I would be interested to hear your graphical configuration despite it being a different headset, if you don’t mind a screenshot? Or perhaps you know the key settings to tweak for this sim.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    I’ve got a D-class so I’ve acquired a Skip Barber and will race at Spa today and see how I get on.

Worked great with the Valve Index though I think there’s some further performance to be eeked out. I normally find it’s a bizarre and unpredictable combination of shader and aliasing settings that unlocks the last bit of performance with VR. I would be interested to hear your graphical configuration despite it being a different headset, if you don’t mind a screenshot? Or perhaps you know the key settings to tweak for this sim.

Cheers
    If you see a Skippy in a Leyton House F1 skin today, that'll be me.

I've been trying iRacing with a PSVR headset using SteamVR and iVry and it's not actually that bad. There are some drift issues and it's not yet possible to center the view with a key binding but hopefully this'll get fixed in a patch soon.

Master
    Well having completed 4 of the Skip Barber series back to back (it's so moreish and perfectly timed with 15 minutes left between sessions) my iRating has taken a knock but at least my SR is up. Very different kettle of fish to the MX-5 series and a very unforgiving circuit this week. I think I'm hooked

The Vostok/Next Level skin never looked like working so I just did a couple of classic F1 cars instead.

@Phil Lee

Do you like the OMP TRS-E seat?
    I'm in the market for a seat for my GT1-EVO rig. I race cars in the real world, so looking for a comfortable sim seat and not a solid bucket that's a pain in the butt.

I’m starting to get withdrawal symptoms. I’ve been working away on AC, getting more consistent and getting up there with the quick guys. My TS-XW suddenly started making a weird clicking noise when simulating vibrations (it’s about 6 months old). Quick chat with Guillemot online, they requested a video of the issue and upon review, they sent me an RMA ticket and Fedex return shipment.
    Has now been about 10 days of no driving, and the wheelbase received by them yesterday.
    Pretty impressed so far with their reaction and service. Fingers crossed they find the issue and fix it.

This home sim is on a different planet....

Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    This home sim is on a different planet....

Quite brilliant !

Master
    So glad is was able to experience the NA/Turbo era before the tree huggers got involved.
    For hours after the GP my ears would ring

The wife would have a fit at the cables everywhere !!

This is a pretty decent rig.

All in you’re looking at at least £15K for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs View Post
    @Phil Lee

Do you like the OMP TRS-E seat?
    I'm in the market for a seat for my GT1-EVO rig. I race cars in the real world, so looking for a comfortable sim seat and not a solid bucket that's a pain in the butt.
    Sorry I missed this. I really like it. It is comfortable but I wouldn’t want it any tighter on the hips. I weigh 11 stone 10lbs and am 6’1”.

I would suggest AC or rFactor 2 over PC2. Both are much better sims with lots of free mods. A newcomer in early access is Automobilista 2. It uses the same Madness engine as PC2 which means it has good graphics and VR support but models the cars better. PC2 has a lot of cars, many of which have very basic handling. AMS2 models a few cars in more detail. Initial impressions are good although it is a little rough round the edges. ACC is another option. It only covers GT3 racing however and has no mods so that may rule it out.
    Well, I’ve been using AC and AMS2 for a while now. Of the two I prefer AMS2, bugs n all. I must have taken to it well enough as I managed to set the time trial lap record at the nerdschleife in a Formula V12 car tonight, plus a few other LRs here and there. AC is ok, nothing to write home about, I like some of the track mods, Pikes Peak is a fun drive. But it still don’t think any of them are necessarily better than PC2, just different. I doubt I’ll ever spring for iRacing though, it’s too expensive.

I doubt I’ll ever spring for iRacing though, it’s too expensive.
    Just try it for a couple of months - the quality of online multiplayer racing is far superior to the competition.
    My little rig keeps improving - I've now upgraded to a direct drive wheel. What an incredible difference to my old G25 :D
    Last edited by Lampoc; 8th December 2020 at 07:38.