closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BMW maps update issue - SanDisk

Craftsman

BMW maps update issue - SanDisk

This morning I downloaded the latest version onto my iMac. So far quite easy. Next I try to load it onto a 64gb SanDisk flash drive but come up with problems. Basically, a msg. on the screen tells me the media is not suitable and to try something else. (This after I have wiped the disk and reformatted it) A quick phone call to BMW and a nice lady tells me that SanDisks are no good for this application! I suggested they might like to put a note on the site to this effect and save owners time and money. Not possible she said, but BMW UK are well aware of the situation. In the end she told me to try a Kingston flash drive which will work. I thought all flash sticks have the same performance if spec. is same capacity and USB type, obviously not. Anyway, hopefully other BMW owner members might learn from my experience and not buy a SanDisk.

NB: I had same issue earlier this year reported on the forum but it seems to be unrelated. Nobody mentioned SanDisk problems then
    Last edited by ALindsay; 17th November 2018 at 12:05. Reason: Additional info.

Sounds like alias of bull, I’ve used 2 different types of Sandisk flash drives to update the maps in my car without issues.

Sandisk do come pre formatted strange as they include some sort of partition with their utilities on it so I always format the stick to fat32 before use. Only real difference is that you are using a Mac?

Is there a size limit to what the BMW system can support? Do you have a smaller USB drive you could try?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Is there a size limit to what the BMW system can support? Do you have a smaller USB drive you could try?
    It said on the screen you need a min. 34Gb of space

In the past I’ve formatted a 64GB USB drive on a Mac and only had a 32GB partition created. Do you have a PC you could partition and format it on?
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 17th November 2018 at 16:35.

Craftsman
    Thanks for replies - Before I buy another stick I'm going to ask family/neighbours if they have one I can try

Master

I bet it is the format issue. Check it is FAT32.

I use Sandisk 128gb in my Mini.
    Last edited by Chalet; 17th November 2018 at 17:00.

Master
    Windows has stopped formatting to FAT32. But google FAT32 BMW and it will get you to the software that can sort it.

Craftsman
    Don'y ask, but, I did it by unzipping on a Macbook and uploaded to SanDisk no problem! BMW not much help at all really.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Windows has stopped formatting to FAT32. But google FAT32 BMW and it will get you to the software that can sort it.
    Is this correct. I’ve recently formatted a stick to fat32 on windows 10 and had no issues.

I had the same issue and it is about the FAT32 format. BMW supports both FAT32 and NTFS formats, but not exFAT. Windows 10 only supports NTFS and exFAT for sticks >32Gig.

I cannot recommend using NTFS, it's awfully slow on your Beamer (10 times slower than FAT32). Download a FAT32 formatter for Win 10; a simple google will get you a few tools.

I have formatted a 64Gig USB stick with one of those tools and the BMW loves it.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Partition to 32gb format to FAT32

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Partition to 32gb format to FAT32
    For a 34Gb map?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    For a 34Gb map?
    2018-4 was under for my G30?
    Actually let me double check that, I used the BMW downloader, remember it was a faff initially though
    Last edited by Anygreg; 19th November 2018 at 19:14.

Last edited by Anygreg; 19th November 2018 at 19:53.

Just downloaded and installed 2018-04 for my x3 via a 64GB USB3 Sandisk memory stick formatted as NTFS on a Windows 10 PC.
    The previous versions just fitted on a 32GB drive. Windows 10 lets you format 32GB drive as FAT32... but not bigger drives.

That said, the BMW satnav is really poor compared to my previous £200 TomTom. Speed limits in france are still showing as 90km/h even though they were reduced to 80km/h since July 2018.
    Traffic feeds are limited to a few main roads only .... turn indicators not as clear as TomTom.. etc

To be fair since CarPlay got google maps and waze, I never use the BMW nav