closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Superyachts???

Master

Superyachts???

A few weeks ago we went to Rhodes for a couple of weeks holiday. I always feel a bit guilty "polluting" the earth by taking a plane, along with a couple of hundred other people, just to get some time away from it all.

We were sat on the balcony, sipping a drink, when a huge military looking boat (ship?) entered the bay and moored up. I had a look, through the binoculars and read the name "Sputnik"! It's not military but it is a supply vessel to a superyacht "Queen K"! They are owned by a russian billionaire. So, you don't just buy a superyacht, you also buy a supply ship, complete with luxury launches ( one for each boat/ship) and a helicopter. (Google them for full details).

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ssel:QUEEN%20K

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...vessel:SPUTNIK

I don't feel as guilty about my package holiday now!

They only use supply ships to replenish super yachts where it's too dangerous to dock in the local ports due to the local and foreign hoi polloi.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Journeyman
    These were in Barcelona a couple of weeks ago
    Steve Jobs Yacht now owned by his wife. He died before it was finished
    The owner of Walmart’s yacht

Lord Irvine Laidlaws yacht
    How the other half live...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is "A":

I've seen her several times in the Med, built last year with a price tag of £360+ million and also owned by a Russian.

Rather ugly boat, IMO.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    That's what you get for robbing a country...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    A few weeks ago we went to Rhodes for a couple of weeks holiday. I always feel a bit guilty "polluting" the earth by taking a plane, along with a couple of hundred other people, just to get some time away from it all.

We were sat on the balcony, sipping a drink, when a huge military looking boat (ship?) entered the bay and moored up. I had a look, through the binoculars and read the name "Sputnik"! It's not military but it is a supply vessel to a superyacht "Queen K"! They are owned by a russian billionaire. So, you don't just buy a superyacht, you also buy a supply ship, complete with luxury launches ( one for each boat/ship) and a helicopter. (Google them for full details).

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ssel:QUEEN%20K

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...vessel:SPUTNIK

I don't feel as guilty about my package holiday now!
    Looks like something from a Bond movie!

Your links are giving me a 404 OP ?

Blog Entries
    Go to 'Home page' search for name of yacht.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Go to 'Home page' search for name of yacht.
    Thanks but way too much ar$ing...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Thanks but way too much ar$ing...

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    That's what you get for robbing a country...
    Quite.

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Quite.

Check out them Royal Moobs, fat bar steward he is.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    This is "A":

I've seen her several times in the Med, built last year with a price tag of £360+ million and also owned by a Russian.

Rather ugly boat, IMO.

R
    I think I've seen that in the docks in Cartagena, heard it was owned by a Russian.

Craftsman
    We saw Roman Abromavitch's yacht, Eclipse, a few years ago in Turkey. It had helicopters going back and forth all day. Bloody huge!

Blog Entries
    Quite a few of these are Dutch built. Royal Huisman in Vollenhove en Faedship in Makkum. Their only limit when it comes to building ships is the size of the locks and bridges they have to pass!

https://www.royalhuisman.com https://www.feadship.nl

You can also ask Kommer Damen to build you a yacht. More One Design vessels, but with an impressive accessory list! Be careful when you tick that list: before you know it, you'll end up with a Bofors cannon on the forecastle deck!

https://www.damen.com/en/about/how-w...damen-standard

We manage companies that own big yachts (a few of them would qualify as superyachts) for clients. Having been on a few in our local Grand Harbour Marina as well as Monaco I have to say they leave me cold.

Just to add, I know of cases where the service yacht goes everywhere with the main yacht so that the owners and their families and guests have all the “toys” at their disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    This is "A":

Rather ugly boat, IMO.

R
    Good value, it would only buy 4 Hockneys these days!

Master
    The 4 Hockneys are on board in the viewing gallery. On a holiday a couple of years ago in San Remo I was talking to a young lady who had gone for an interview for crew on a boat there. The boat had a crew of 21 so it had to have enough space for those people before you got to the passengers. The boat was owned by an American who I have never heard of (he/she hasn't heard of me either) but staggering how many of these vessels there are. Eric Clapton has a rather tasteful one which is up for sale. Supposedly he has another called 'Blue Guitar'

https://www.boatinternational.com/lu...28323/frame-11

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    The 4 Hockneys are on board in the viewing gallery. On a holiday a couple of years ago in San Remo I was talking to a young lady who had gone for an interview for crew on a boat there. The boat had a crew of 21 so it had to have enough space for those people before you got to the passengers. The boat was owned by an American who I have never heard of (he/she hasn't heard of me either) but staggering how many of these vessels there are. Eric Clapton has a rather tasteful one which is up for sale. Supposedly he has another called 'Blue Guitar'

https://www.boatinternational.com/lu...28323/frame-11
    Nice list! Indeed late Steve Job's ship was built by Feadship in the upper north of the Netherlands. Parents (like me) of young sailors are quite fond of Faedship: the company endorses Dutch sailing and individual sailors...
    I forgot to name Dutch builder Oceanco. They have no 'build-limit'; there are no locks or low/narrow bridges between the shipyard and the open sea!

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Nice list! Indeed late Steve Job's ship was built by Feadship in the upper north of the Netherlands. Parents (like me) of young sailors are quite fond of Faedship: the company endorses Dutch sailing and individual sailors...
    I forgot to name Dutch builder Oceanco. They have no 'build-limit'; there are no locks or low/narrow bridges between the shipyard and the open sea!

Menno
    My brother works for these guys: www.edmiston.com

They'll rent you a yacht in in the Med, for a week, for 1 million Euros

1 week, 1millionEU

https://www.edmiston.com/yacht-charter/yachts/savannah

That one has 24 crew and under "Toys" listed:
    9.5m Limousine Tender
    9.5m Sport Tender
    6m Jet Tender
    50hp RIB
    2 x Yamaha Stand-up Jet Ski
    2 x Seadoo Spark Jet Ski
    Seadoo Wake Waverunner
    2 x Jet Surf
    4 x Seabobs
    2 x Laser Sail Boat
    1 x Double kayak
    2 x Single kayak
    4 x Mountain Bikes
    7 x Scuba Dive sets
    4 x Stand-up Paddle Boards
    Jumbo Inflatable Slide and trampoline
    Onboard Basketball Court
    Large assortment of Inflatable Towing Toys
    Multiple Water Skis and Wake Boards
    Extensive Snorkeling equipment
    Wide variety of sporting goods, e.g Footballs, Frisbees, Volley ball nets, etc

Most Yachts have clay shooting facilities off the back, but apparently some Russian last year asked for an aviary to be built in, for live shooting off the back.

there are yachts with panic rooms, there are yachts with Oxygen tents built in

He says sometimes they sell a yacht and the money arrives in divided amounts from unusual places.....

Yachts with Lamborghinis internally stored on cranes ready to lift onto the docks in Monaco/Rio/Mexico city

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post

Yachts with Lamborghinis internally stored on cranes ready to lift onto the docks in Monaco/Rio/Mexico city
    Mexico City?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Mexico City?
    https://www.edmiston.com/contact/mexico-city

OK, not so much Mexico city,,,

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Me...7!4d-99.133208

:) :) :)

We generally go to the Bay of Naples at some point every year and usually see a few superyachts; nice to watch them from our hotel balcony.

The previous yacht ‘A’ was anchored about half a mile outside the harbour one year. A couple of locals decided to potter off towards it for a closer look in their little motor boat.

They got about halfway before a huge hatch opened in the side of ‘A’ at the waterline, and a RIB with 3 guys appeared out of the hull. It zoomed off towards the local boat. They had a little chat and the locals decided that they probably wanted to turn round and go home.

I found this pic on the internet, the same yacht ‘A’.

Look at the prow:

Some of them are incredibly impressive, but it has become a size race. The ones I prefer tend to be smaller and more elegant. Incidentally, Shipfinder is a great app for following shipping if you are on holiday.

Master
    This was in Southampton earlier in the year didn’t seem out of place with some of the smaller liners. IMG_3149.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I'm afraid I don't really like the aesthetics of most modern superyachts. Eos and Athena are probably the only two that come to mind as having any grace to them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    I'm afraid I don't really like the aesthetics of most modern superyachts. Eos and Athena are probably the only two that come to mind as having any grace to them.
    Well that’s probably saved you a few bob then 🙂

Craftsman
    I worked as crew on a yacht one year when I was younger.

It was an amazing experience. We spent a month moored at the tower of London. Then Holland and Morocco, and into the med. The owners were only on board for a few weeks and it spent the rest of the time being chartered. The really fun times were between the charters. Absolutely nothing like these new yachts though, it was a beautiful classic ship built in the 1930's, all wood paneling, brass and marble. And a deck you can walk around not like these weird looking lozenges. It had two speedboats but that was about as modern as it got, no Lamborghinis. Unfortunately.

We were in Gibraltar a few weeks ago and marvelling at the size of a yacht in the harbour as we walked down from the Rock.

It was only as we got about half way down that we spotted a helicopter on the stern and realised it was actually about 4 times bigger than we'd thought!

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    We were in Corfu in October and sailed around the whole of Yacht 'A' twice. On getting close we were watched from the "garage" by a big lad, but we just gave him a round of applause.

I found it very amusing to see the wooden kids swing set on the top deck, which looked straight out of B&Q!!

A colleage of mine did Superyachts as Master.

Very interesting, but he advised that some charterers come up with crazy/dangerous demands which he dealt with as “You can’t say no - just try and bring the risk back into something that is more comfortable”

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Well that’s probably saved you a few bob then 
    If I were in the position to be able to afford a superyacht, I'd pick one of the surviving vintage classics. Something like Northwind II would do nicely: https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...jansen-article. (Do click through to the slideshow). The bathroom wallpaper's admittedly a little frantic, but other than that, I'd hardly change a thing.

My idea of a 'super yacht' is along these lines, it's all part of the plan
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master

Superyachts???

This cost 440$. The QM2 cost 460£. Considering the size difference I’d have thought the price would be world apart.