closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: NOT a swirlie!!!

NOT a swirlie!!!

I work in Construction & Waste Management and 99% of my work is desk-bound, my daily-wearer is a WG Sub'.

I do attend occasional site meetings though, and sometimes I do actually get my hands dirty.

So today I'm setting out a job for one of my teams, and I'm sledge-hammering site-pins in while yelling instructions to someone across the site and evidently not paying enough attention when.....

To be fair I do believe in wearing my watches, it is 'only a watch' and it could've been so much worse if I'd actually hit my wrist but sods law I've literally only got the watch back from a full Rolex service last week!!!!

Ah man, that’s sucks. It’s not a removable link is it so I suspect your options are limited to.perhaps a refinish on that link only or maybe a fill and finish if you can find someone other than rolex to take it on. Are least you were wearing your beater!

Or just leave it, a battle scar to remember this day with?

You could turn the fixed bracelet sections around so it on the other side and far less visible every time you check the time?

I'll just leave it alone mate, as you said it's certainly something to remember the day by!!

'Tis but a scratch! On a serious note, I'd check the bezel-to-knurled teeth alignment in case the impact has knocked it out of kilter. Oh the horror! ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Well, as you say, you should be grateful as the watch took the impact rather than your wrist - and that sort of impact on your wrist could be seriously unpleasant! Given that, who can now say that wearing a watch whilst doing real work is silly or dangerous??? Its protected you from injury!!! By that logic of course, you should now wear at least one on each wrist at all times.....

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Well, as you say, you should be grateful as the watch took the impact rather than your wrist - and that sort of impact on your wrist could be seriously unpleasant! Given that, who can now say that wearing a watch whilst doing real work is silly or dangerous??? Its protected you from injury!!! By that logic of course, you should now wear at least one on each wrist at all times.....
    Agreed!!

......and as my wife said "Thank God it was a Rolex!!"

(She WAS joking, it makes sense to us anyway.....!!)

Find the gouged metal on whatever you whacked it with and just smear it back in place. Job done

In all seriousness, I'm surprised you can wear something like that on a site - quite a risk of degloving surely?

Master
    Spuds, you are my hero; watches are for wearing. It's still the same great watch, but with an honorable war wound.
    And get a job in the Civil Service.
    Last edited by paskinner; 15th November 2018 at 16:52.

Great battle scar

When I was young and in my prime
    I used to worry about Rolex scratches all the time
    Now I'm old and going grey
    I just think bollox to it.

Craftsman
    I was very precious with my GMT IIc when I first got it due to the polished centre links, I managed to keep it pristine for about a year but found I was only wearing it at weekends or when going out. Once I decided to wear it daily and thought what's the point in having a nice watch that sits in a box in the wardrobe it picked up quite a few battle scars. From a few feet away it still looks great, it's only when you closely inspect the knocks become clearly visible. If it doesn't bother you I'd leave it as it is.

Master
    These things happen, rather the watch than your wrist.

Hang on, WG Rolex, waste management, “office work” but sometimes get your hands dirty.

Are you the Essex Tony Soprano?

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Find the gouged metal on whatever you whacked it with and just smear it back in place. Job done

In all seriousness, I'm surprised you can wear something like that on a site - quite a risk of degloving surely?
    I wish!! (Re: smearing it back on!!)

And it wasn’t on a proper construction site as such mate, I was only banging pins in to mark out where I want a demarcation barrier put up!!
    Woulda just sprayed it on the ground but it was hammering down (pun intended!) and the road-marking spray kept washing away!!

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Spuds, you are my hero; watches are for wearing. It's still the same great watch, but with an honorable war wound.
    LOL thanks Peter!!

Quote Originally Posted by bagman View Post
    Great battle scar
    I’ve almost stopped crying now so I think you’re right mate....

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    When I was young and in my prime
    I used to worry about Rolex scratches all the time
    Now I'm old and going grey
    I just think bollox to it.
    Absolutely agreed!!

Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    I was very precious with my GMT IIc when I first got it due to the polished centre links, I managed to keep it pristine for about a year but found I was only wearing it at weekends or when going out. Once I decided to wear it daily and thought what's the point in having a nice watch that sits in a box in the wardrobe it picked up quite a few battle scars. From a few feet away it still looks great, it's only when you closely inspect the knocks become clearly visible. If it doesn't bother you I'd leave it as it is.

And again absolutely agreed mate....

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    These things happen, rather the watch than your wrist.

Hang on, WG Rolex, waste management, “office work” but sometimes get your hands dirty.

Are you the Essex Tony Soprano?

I’ve met a few forum members now and many know exactly where I work and what I do, so (as much as I might wish I was) I can assure you mate, I’m definitely not!!

And agreed re: glad I had it on in one way, I’m sure the watch still looks better even now than my wrist woulda done!!

Thanks for all the consolations Gents, nice to know I’m not the only one was a bit “ooohhhhh!!!!!”

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Agreed fully!

Watches are either safe queens or they’re for wearing.
    You wore it.
    Fair play.
    It’s got it’s battle scars, you on the other hand ain’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with them, it’s nice to hear of a watch picking up an honourable scar or two by being worn rather than staying pristine and unused in a safe.

And I’m glad to hear that the wrist underneath wasn’t damaged! Much harder and more painful to fix bone than steel (even Rolex steel)!

Craftsman
    Nice to see watches getting used and not babied!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk