closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Polished titanium

Polished titanium

Ever seen this on a watch case? Highly polished surfaces, looks almost like st. Steel?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think Omega have polished sections on the titanium seamasters - blue Planet Ocean and Seamaster 300.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes it looks like SS

Just asking because there are polished sections on the case of my new mearsalike. Never seen anything like that before.

Generally I really really like the watch, but have doubts as to how well it would hold up against one of the originals. Few tweaks in the design that I like, but somehow feels a little less 'solid'

It's hard to discern from steel, but in my experience the surface is ever so slightly visually warmer than steel. Equally, this could be down to the mirrored steel surfaces I have compared polished ti too, as not all steels polish the same.

Unless I've got very confused, this is all titanium

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Just asking because there are polished sections on the case of my new mearsalike. Never seen anything like that before.

Generally I really really like the watch, but have doubts as to how well it would hold up against one of the originals. Few tweaks in the design that I like, but somehow feels a little less 'solid'
    Hi Dave,

I've got the black faced one on bracelet and worn it everyday for months, not a mark on it. 👍👍

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Hi Dave,

I've got the black faced one on bracelet and worn it everyday for months, not a mark on it. 
    Not worried about the marking, but was surprised to see the contrasting finishes. Polished on the bits that aren't visible, plus I quite like the 'tool' finish on the original... Very happy with the watch though, it's a ' keeper' as they say...

Certainly not the best photo, but on my Ploprof, the sharp edges are all polished and so is the entire mesh bracelet. Looks really good.

Found this:

"...An evolution of “Bright Titanium”, the alloy previously used for all titanium Grand Seiko watches, Brilliant Hard Titanium is a new alloy that’s as light as the usual titanium found in watchmaking (typically grade 5), but much harder. It’s surface hardness is twice as hard as stainless steel, in fact, making it quite scratch resistant.

"The hardness of the metal means it can be polished to the same definition as steel, resulting in brilliantly finished lugs with brushed top surfaces, polishes bevels running along their length, and a sharp border between the two...."

From here: http://watchesbysjx.com/2017/03/hand...s-of-1960.html

Master
    My Doxa has a mirror polished bezel and polished bracelet links.

I remember oohing and aahing over one of these at the one and only Watchfinder GTG.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Anything with grade 5 titanium can be polished - it's a complete pain to do but does give a wonderful finish. Someone above mentioned slightly 'warmer' than steel and I think that is accurate. My Ming 17.01 has a fair bit of polished titanium and I do like the look. I've seen the Snowflake as above in the metal and it looks fantastic.

I had few used Citizen watches with duratect titanium. They all held really well.
    Unlike Seiko titanium which gets scratched as soon as you look at it.

I also had several G-Shock MRG watches in titanium. Relatively soft but easy to refinish and remove small damages with certain grade brushing papers.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Anything with grade 5 titanium can be polished - it's a complete pain to do but does give a wonderful finish. Someone above mentioned slightly 'warmer' than steel and I think that is accurate. My Ming 17.01 has a fair bit of polished titanium and I do like the look. I've seen the Snowflake as above in the metal and it looks fantastic.
    Id be really surprised if this was grade 5.it's quite a (comparatively) cheap watch

I worked with a lot of aircraft grade titanium a few years ago and its a strange material, very hard and springy but also brittle at the extremes, even so I found it would mark and scratch very easily..

Id be really surprised if this was grade 5.it's quite a (comparatively) cheap watch
    Sorry mate - I've missed what watch you own that you talk about - I can't find it in a previous post.

I've spoken to Ming quite extensively about Titanium and will stick by my comment of polishing can only be done on Grade 5. However he also said there isn't really much difference in price between Grade 2 and 5 - though of course there is a cost in actually polishing Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Sorry mate - I've missed what watch you own that you talk about - I can't find it in a previous post.

I've spoken to Ming quite extensively about Titanium and will stick by my comment of polishing can only be done on Grade 5. However he also said there isn't really much difference in price between Grade 2 and 5 - though of course there is a cost in actually polishing Ti.
    Surprised there isn't a big price diff between 2 and 5.
    Its one of the things people on here make a fuss about.
    The watch is the BN0118-12L

Would like t see a polished or partially polished Pelagos, could be a lovely thing indeed, but I don’t have one to try it on, has anybody else?

Isn't this a case of Citizen's "Super Titanium"? (Pun intended.)

https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/super-titanium.html

If you click on the 'learn more' link there's a bit more detail on the technology.

Craftsman
    Tag Heuer did the Kirium in grade 5 polished titanium if I remember correctly back in the late 90’s

Had Ti5 on the dial

Neil
    Last edited by Neil; 15th November 2018 at 23:56.

My understanding the issue with the coated titanium is you can't refinish it, whereas the Snowflake can be refinished including polishing. Not sure about the newer brilliant hard titanium, could be an alloy rather than a coating as it's a GS and they prefer to be able to refinish them.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    My understanding the issue with the coated titanium is you can't refinish it, whereas the Snowflake can be refinished including polishing. Not sure about the newer brilliant hard titanium, could be an alloy rather than a coating as it's a GS and they prefer to be able to refinish them.
    It's the material itself, not a coating. GS only polish them back in Japan, but can do the movement servicing in Maidenhead, UK.

Master
    Polished ti bezel no the 346. Not able to comment on what grade it may be.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My Ploprof above is grade 5 on the case, and grade 2 on the mesh. I believe this is due to the challenges in machining and manipulation of the grade 5, hence why they use grade 2 to create that intricate mesh.

The Omega Aqua Terra 150m Master Co-Axial GMT 43mm, GoodPlanet has a polished grade 5 titanium case. To my eyes it has a slightly darker feel (a little in the gunmetal direction), but is just as shiny as polished steel. To see the difference one really needs to see the two side by side - just as the appearance of white gold is clearly different to that of stainless steel, but this can easily be missed when viewed on its own.

This Citizen has polished Duratect and looks lovely

Cracking watch. I think we have to remember raw pricing as opposed to what we do with that material be it machining and polishing.

Can't comment enough about the coatings and reenforcing alloys etc but again that is an addition on top of the price of Titanium....