closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Many Aquanaut owners in the Group

Many Aquanaut owners in the Group

I had the unexpected experience of trying out an Aquanaut last weekend. Paid my usual visit to the AD to discuss my long running wait for a BLNR. Conversation flowed & this was produced

I was instantly impressed. Clean understated elegance. Yet casual and comfortable. This would be out of my usual budget comfort zone. Although it has started a thought process.

Are owners generally impressed with them. Usual thoughts of holding value and would I be afraid to wear it occur to me
    Are service intervals more important with Patek than Rolex for example ? What are typical service costs?
    I realise that if one needs to ask the service cost, then one probably could never afford it in the first place.
    Maybe I’m n a slippery slope
    All opinions appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by P.Sheridan; 14th November 2018 at 21:38.

Craftsman
    That's very, very nice indeed.

If you have the cash and are not doing anything with it then get the watch if you like it. I wouldn't worry about any relatively marginal increase in servicing cost.

You'll love it I'm sure but even if not, sell it and you'll be no worse off financially. May even make a bob or two. It'll probably work out to be the cheapest watch you'll ever own!

Am I saying all the right things?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Queen View Post
    That's very, very nice indeed.

If you have the cash and are not doing anything with it then get the watch if you like it. I wouldn't worry about any relatively marginal increase in servicing cost.

You'll love it I'm sure but even if not, sell it and you'll be no worse off financially. May even make a bob or two. It'll probably work out to be the cheapest watch you'll ever own!

Am I saying all the right things?
    Those are all the perfect answers lol. Hahaha. I don’t have the cash unfortunately but it’s something I may target for later next year. If the itch remains. They reckon I could have one in under a year, had I produced a credit card there and then and asked for that one, I’m fairly sure I could have walked out with it.

Mate, I have just about every ‘hard to get’ Rolex in one version or another and I can’t even get on a list for an Aquanaut!!

I want one so bad!!

Buy it, and as previously said you’ll make a few quid even if you don’t like it, it really is a no-brainer!!

Blog Entries
    As an Aquanaut owner - the company I bought from had mine serviced by Patek before I took ownership so I won't be in a position to say exactly the service costs. The base price I think is on the Patek website.

Current prices are here (in CHF): https://www.patek.com/en/retail-serv.../service-costs for more information.

You can choose to have the crystal replaced / strap replaced etc etc and these are additional to the service and totally up to you. You may be surprised but case polishing is an additional cost and not mandatory - which may suit some not others - you may not want it done at each service with solid gold watches.

As an example - a more complex Patek I own (5146J Annual Calendar) - last time I had it serviced with a new strap and crystal and polish after about 9 years of ownership - came to approx £1K - if you average that over the 9 years that's a bit over £100/y which I think is not bad (a lot less than my car service costs and that is worth a lot less!). They returned the old strap as well.

Servicing a mechanical watch is as important to it's long term performance regardless of brand and there are long and often bitter arguments anything between wear-them-till-they-break and get-them-serviced-every-three-years - be it Patek or Rolex. I tend to get them serviced when the timing goes off or there is an obvious fault (like pushers sticking or whatever).

Some call the Aqaunaut Patek's answer to the Seadweller (before it grew a cyclops). At 120m wrt it can certainly be worn in water and the case being slimmer than it's own clasp it is super comfortable. Comes highly recommended.

Also - How on earth did you get to handle one in the flesh?????? They have closed any waiting lists for this model last year and approximated 5years before getting one at MRP. I had to pay dealers prices - luckily before they went totally insane this year.

Holding value - come on - it's a Patek!!!

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 14th November 2018 at 21:51.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If you go to the Science Museum, you can see the one George Daniels wore. That it was the watch of choice of our finest watchmaker for centuries says something.

Buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    As an Aquanaut owner - the company I bought from had mine serviced by Patek before I took ownership so I won't be in a position to say exactly the service costs. The base price I think is on the Patek website.

Current prices are here (in CHF): https://www.patek.com/en/retail-serv.../service-costs for more information.

You can choose to have the crystal replaced / strap replaced etc etc and these are additional to the service and totally up to you. You may be surprised but case polishing is an additional cost and not mandatory - which may suit some not others - you may not want it done at each service with solid gold watches.

As an example - a more complex Patek I own (5146J Annual Calendar) - last time I had it serviced with a new strap and crystal and polish after about 9 years of ownership - came to approx £1K - if you average that over the 9 years that's a bit over £100/y which I think is not bad (a lot less than my car service costs and that is worth a lot less!). They returned the old strap as well.

Servicing a mechanical watch is as important to it's long term performance regardless of brand and there are long and often bitter arguments anything between wear-them-till-they-break and get-them-serviced-every-three-years - be it Patek or Rolex. I tend to get them serviced when the timing goes off or there is an obvious fault (like pushers sticking or whatever).

Some call the Aqaunaut Patek's answer to the Seadweller (before it grew a cyclops). At 120m wrt it can certainly be worn in water and the case being slimmer than it's own clasp it is super comfortable. Comes highly recommended.

Also - How on earth did you get to handle one in the flesh?????? They have closed any waiting lists for this model last year and approximated 5years before getting one at MRP. I had to pay dealers prices - luckily before they went totally insane this year.

Holding value - come on - it's a Patek!!!

Martyn
    Great info here Martyn . Thank you.
    It was quite Bizarre. I was chatting with the brand manager who was showing me a photo of an awful bling bling diamond encrusted Patek which he had recently sold for 350k and was awaiting delivery off. We weee having a bit of a laugh & I asked casually what the wait for an Aquanaut would be. He said he could get me one within a year & then dropped the , have you ever seen one, would you like to try one ? My jaw dropped.

Craftsman
    This is high on my “want” list, just waiting to get back to the U.K. over Christmas and visit my independent AD.
    Was this a watch which was waiting collection? If it’s available then buy it, if you don’t then please share the details with me so that so I can buy it ha

I'm on the list. I wish I had just gone for one on the bracelet and bought the rubber and clasp - then I would have had it by now!
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

Cool

You might find reviews by Tim Mosso on 'Watchbox studios 'worth a look. On Monday he,briefly, compared an Aquanaut with a Rolex Yachtmaster 40m, and said the Rolex was a clearly superior watch. Which might just be true.
    Certainty, I found the Patek 5711 somewhat unimpressive. I wouldn't own one again. Which won't keep Patek awake at night. Or shorten the waiting lists......
    Now, the 5170G Chrono, that's a different matter. Which, of course, I can't afford.
    Last edited by paskinner; 14th November 2018 at 23:13.

Blog Entries
    You know you want one:

Master
    Lovely watch, but I found it underwhelming when I was given the chance to buy one, as others have said you won't lose any money on it if you decide to buy.

PP = complications, for me. I think both the Aquanaut and 5711 are a bit boring.

Stretch, and get the 5712, steel, blue dial. That is a stunner, one of my favourite watches.

Can I put the other side? I've had three of these (before the prices went silly). Sold the last one for around £10k not that ago and it wasn't a breeze to sell at that. I'm not sure what happened, but I think a lot of people want them because - a lot of other people want them. The watch itself is nice enough but it's a very simple steel watch. That's what it is. It looks nice in pristine condition but doesn't bear scars well in my view. It falls between stools. Not really a dressy watch and not really rugged (or cheap) enough for a sports watch either, unless you have the sort of money that you don't mind bashing up a £15,000+ watch. It's comfortable if you get it right, but here's the thing - there's zero adjustment on the strap. You cut it - with scissors - and that's what you've got - unless you want to pay £200 for another. Just crazy.

So if you get the chance to buy one at or below list, there's nothing to lose. Someone will pay you more for it - for now. But don't fall into the trap of paying over the odds for something you think is going to be extra special. If you do, you'll spend a lot of time trying to convince yourself that it is.

(If you're wondering why I had three, see previous sentence.)

Master
    I hated mine. Sold it after a month. As others have said, you won’t lose any money if you buy it.

Master
    By sheer co-incidence, ' watchbox studios' has a 40 minute you-tube programme this evening, entirely dedicated to Patek; featuring Tim Mosso and Brian Govberg, a big fan of the brand. These guys know their subject. And Brian is a long-term collector.
    'The watch insider.'
    Last edited by paskinner; 15th November 2018 at 02:05.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Can I put the other side? I've had three of these (before the prices went silly). Sold the last one for around £10k not that ago and it wasn't a breeze to sell at that. I'm not sure what happened, but I think a lot of people want them because - a lot of other people want them. The watch itself is nice enough but it's a very simple steel watch. That's what it is. It looks nice in pristine condition but doesn't bear scars well in my view. It falls between stools. Not really a dressy watch and not really rugged (or cheap) enough for a sports watch either, unless you have the sort of money that you don't mind bashing up a £15,000+ watch. It's comfortable if you get it right, but here's the thing - there's zero adjustment on the strap. You cut it - with scissors - and that's what you've got - unless you want to pay £200 for another. Just crazy.

So if you get the chance to buy one at or below list, there's nothing to lose. Someone will pay you more for it - for now. But don't fall into the trap of paying over the odds for something you think is going to be extra special. If you do, you'll spend a lot of time trying to convince yourself that it is.

(If you're wondering why I had three, see previous sentence.)
    Really interesting post and perspective. I'm inclined to agree, to me it's appeal is artificial and it's desirablilty is driven by external factors. If you actually boil down what it is it's impossible to justify the price and the demand - to my mind anyway.

At present they're annual calendar expensive, 5296 anyone?

Craftsman

I was on the list for a year

Got offered one a month before I moved house and had to turn it down!!

Regret not being able to get it but the house came first

They are beautiful watches. i dont think a lot of people actually appreciate them until they handle one. It certainly get the most non watch people comments. Most haven't got a clue when you say Patek. Which i quite like. It is fast becoming my favourite watch and I am asking why I have ANY other watches?

Craftsman
    I was fortunate enough to puck my 5167 up from the AD a couple of weeks ago after a long wait.

I must say that the watch is even better than I imagined. The quality, finish and design just work for me. It's very comfortable even with my strap needing another line removed. It just wears so well, looks smart regardless of my clothing and the wife loves it which is a bonus.

As simple as the watch is, for me it is just stunning and very special. Im not sure i could be happier with the watch and overall experience thus far.

I hope you find yourself in a position to buy one in the future.

I just searched SC - it was only last year that a bunch of these were sold on here, at MRSP or lower, people flipping them quite quickly.

The perception of their desirability must have quietly reached critical mass about a year ago, and subsequently snowballed?

Master
    I sold mine, pretty much a year ago to the day for £14,000, to facilitate my son buying his first home.

For that reason alone, I have absolutely no regrets in missing the bonanza that has happened since then.

Looking at WF today, they have a 5968A-001 at over double the RRP!!! £70k for a steel chrono!!!!!!

Master
    Well, since 'all opinions are welcomed' ...

I'd steer well clear. It's an awful lot of money for a watch that, quite frankly, without the brand on its dial would garner absolutely zero interest imo. I'm not a fan of most PP dials (Calatravas excluded) but I find the Aquanaut to be one of the ugliest.

Blog Entries
    I find it refreshing that there is NOT a herd mentality as regards this watch. I hope this spreads to other brands. I think this is what makes this hobby so interesting. To coin a phrase, “each to their own”.

Martyn

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post

I'd steer well clear. It's an awful lot of money for a watch that, quite frankly, without the brand on its dial would garner absolutely zero interest imo. I'm not a fan of most PP dials (Calatravas excluded) but I find the Aquanaut to be one of the ugliest.
    Have to agree. To me, the dial looks like something you'd find on a casio or such. Overall just a very boring looking watch. On looks alone, I'd rather a PRS29.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Have to agree. To me, the dial looks like something you'd find on a casio or such. Overall just a very boring looking watch. On looks alone, I'd rather a PRS29.
    Bang on the money - a Casio world time with the lines of latitude and longitude.

I'm not seeing the value proposition, £23,000 for a simple SS 3 hander, other than "it's a Patek". Perhaps someone could enlighten me. I quite like the look of them though!

I've had 2. Very well balanced, imho the version on rubber looks best as the pattern matches the dial and gives it an organic look. Wears smaller than 40mm. Nicely finished but not Grand Seiko level however overall design and legibility is exemplary. Dresses up pretty well for a sports watch too and slips under a sleeve as it's pretty slim

I didn’t have much interest in the Aquanaut nor Nautilus until I bought my AP Royal Oak. I think the enjoyment and appreciation of the Aquanaut depends on what else you have in your collection. After a certain amount of Rolex I find they blend into each other so from that perspective the dial, mix of brushed and finished surfaces are probably appreciated more. I have a Nautilus, Aquanaut and AP RO and if I were choosing between the AP RO and Aquanaut I’d go for the AP. I find it has more heft and is an overal more interesting watch to look at. The Aquanaut is a really nice watch but due to the lack of weight can feel unsubstantial on the wrist but on the other hand is still extremely comfortable and is still a great watch in its own right and I still find myself wearing it more than any of my Rolex.

Master
    Best watch ever. Period. It has "almost" killed my passion for horology in many ways as I wear this so often. If you search my posts, you'll see I went hiking with it even.

- Thin
    - Light
    - Superbly finished movement
    - Robust and accurate movement that takes a beating
    - Supremely comfortable with the rubber strap
    - Water resistant (more so than the Explorer or GMT)
    - Holds value
    - Discreet

What more can you wish for!??

Craftsman
    I flip flop frequently on this!

I haven’t seen one in the flesh, but in photos the numbers always appear slightly erratically sized/positioned to me. I hope it’s just the effect of reflections off the numerals?

I love how thin, robust and discrete it is, esp with that amazing caseback.

I find the price hard to justify (and obv afford!). When I’m more on board I wonder if I’m swayed by the marketing spiel than the reality.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

This was a watch if seen plenty of pictures of and never really liked. It just never grabbed me. Then is met Wayne from here for a coffee and he had his on. After handling on and trying it on I was completely sold they are truly amazing. So comfortable and just look amazing in the flesh. They are well out of my price range atm. But now are a grail I’ll aspire to.

Master
    The rose gold version, is gorgeous with the chocolate rubber, makes it reasonable looking at watch finders prices for the SS version.

One of our supplier wears one and it looks great. He flogs us office furniture and wears it dressed down and does everything in it, it's well worn.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by futon river crossing View Post
    I'm not seeing the value proposition, £23,000 for a simple SS 3 hander, other than "it's a Patek". Perhaps someone could enlighten me. I quite like the look of them though!
    £14,6K is the MRP I think at the moment.

Craftsman
    It’s probably the favourite watch in my collection, very comfy and light.

Of the expensive "sports" watches from Patek and AP, it's one of the more attractive, and easy to wear, if anything of that cost can be. To be honest I find it rather anodyne in appearance, not an unattractive watch by any means, but not very interesting either. Without Patek on the dial, I'm not sure people would care that much. Personally I'm a lot more interested in a simple gold manual wind Lange or Vacheron, but each to their own though.

Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    ... Patek on the dial..
    Dave
    Patek inside makes a difference as well...

Touché

Great comments and opinions all around. The only thing that would probably irritate me slightly would be the lack of any adjustment of the strap. Most owners seem to be very pleased by it, while the dislikes for the most part have not(nor would they) own the watch.

Beauty on the inside for sure ;)

D

Hard to disagree!!

Blog Entries

I got the chance to try one on at a recent gtg. Previous to that I had not real interest based on photos and reviews. Totally changed my mind. It IS lovely

I chose this about eight years ago, when you could just walk in and buy one. It's still a firm favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    I chose this about eight years ago, when you could just walk in and buy one. It's still a firm favourite.

If that's yours, I hope you're aware it's not an Aquanaut...

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    If that's yours, I hope you're aware it's not an Aquanaut...
    Ha, yes it was a follow-up to my previous post about the Aquanaut.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wonderful watch.

Worth the money, no but is any.
    If it didn’t have PP on dial would ppl be interested, no chance.

Still love it though!

Craftsman

Unhappy

The waiting list is always closed at mallorys bath when i ask....shame

Craftsman

Totally agree, I just don't get it, there are some PP to die for but the Aquanaut with the brand name removed would appear to me fairly ordinary.

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agree, I just don't get it, there are some PP to die for but the Aquanaut with the brand name removed would appear to me fairly ordinary.