closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help!! Silver Fish, anyone got a solution?

Blog Entries

Help!! Silver Fish, anyone got a solution?

Tried poison, sticky stuff but no luck.

Anyone here who has a novelty solution for getting rid of the little bastards?
    They are, in my case, the darker paper eating version I believe.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post

My experience is that damp/high humidity is a large part of the problem and so curing that will help.

Dehumidifier set up and empty bucket daily , a couple of smaller ones should do the job as you need to do the whole room at once.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    My experience is that damp/high humidity is a large part of the problem and so curing that will help.
    Thanks, but there really is no damp, and reading up on it I seem to have the paper eating version, not really "silver" in colour.

The little twads are tough customers to deal with.

Concrete floor or timber floor boards ?

No damp behind skirting ?

Have you had recent damp proofing work carried out?

They have to have water to survive so its got to be somewhere.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    Concrete floor or timber floor boards ?

No damp behind skirting ?

Have you had recent damp proofing work carried out?

They have to have water to survive so its got to be somewhere.
    Cheers,

Appartment 7th floor, so concrete it is. Can it be damp without noticing it? There are no spots or "mushrooms" on walls or ceilings.

Cheers,

Appartment 7th floor, so concrete it is. Can it be damp without noticing it? There are no spots or "mushrooms" on walls or ceilings.
    Maybe no 'damp' but possibly high humidity and or condensation?
    Apparently this stuff can do the trick - Diatomaceous Earth.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Maybe no 'damp' but possibly high humidity and or condensation?
    Apparently this stuff can do the trick - Diatomaceous Earth.
    Thanks!

Had to look that up, but willing to try everything that might get rid of them :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    We seem to be prone to them, I think they get in through the tumble dryer outlet which then gives them access to the kitchen which as a lovely dark alcove under the stairs. Mrs H goes mad when she sees them and wants all sorts of action taking, my stance is that you can’t stop them coming in. I decided I wouldn’t tell her when one dropped on my head in the kitchen.
    i have used the diamatacious earth stuff and also regularly spray some big killer in the dark corners where I believe they may be lurking. Sticky traps have only caught 1.

Occasionally one will scuttle across my bathroom, and disappear under the floor.

A quick squirt of "Raid" fly killer usually sorts them out for a while, but I don't know of any permanent solution.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    Used to have them along with scorpions in our other place

Lavender - they don't like it up 'em

or if you wamt to go toxic

pesticide which contains liquid pyrethrin and spray areas (not near food or kids or animals)

If there is a big infestation roll up some newspaper (if anyone ever has this these days) put three or four elastic bands around it to make it fairly solid. Dunk it in water - long enough for it to get damp but not slushy - put it where they assemble for feeding and leave overnight. In the morning do not open the paper up just bin it or incinerate.
    Spray the area and repeat daily until happy. Spray the area intermittently with toxin or lay some lavender sticks in a basket (cedar wood)

B
    Last edited by Brian; 14th November 2018 at 15:10.

Blog Entries
    Cheers guys!

A few new "tricks" to try out.

if you are using an old hoover especially with a bag then get a new bag or use a bagless one and empty it after each hoover.

Do they cause much (or any) damage? See them in bathroom occasionally but don't bother me.

Blog Entries
    Well, to be honest, it's not my own appartment, but that of a new found (early stages) girlfriend ;)
    Anything to make an impression eh?

And you know, women and creepy crawlies....

No, they probably don't do much harm, but to much is a crowd I reckon.

Master
    Well, to be honest, it's not my own appartment, but that of a new found (early stages) girlfriend ;)
    Anything to make an impression eh?

And you know, women and creepy crawlies....

No, they probably don't do much harm, but to much is a crowd I reckon.
    You need some earwigs, centipedes and spiders. They like silverfish.

Don't they feed on rotten stuff? Usually see them in some damp parts of the forest under fallen tree bark or piece of cardboard if you lift it up..

Not sure if I'd want to use insecticide inside my house unless there is serious infestation.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

get them in winter when Humidity is higher - though our building has been externally cladded recently due to water ingress here and there
    sort out damp, get some panel heaters installed here and there the ones you can paint same colour as the wall and run them during the cheap electricity rate on a timer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post

get them in winter when Humidity is higher - though our building has been externally cladded recently due to water ingress here and there
    sort out damp, get some panel heaters installed here and there the ones you can paint same colour as the wall and run them during the cheap electricity rate on a timer.

Thanks,

But this is the Netherlands , "stadsverwarming" (central heating and warm water for a large part of the city via one big station), so dry as a mummy's skin ;)

37% says the hygrometer, so no problem there I guess.

Yes, you have to burn your house to ground.

HTH.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Yes, you have to burn your house to ground.

HTH.
    Her house in this case, not much of a first impression to get this new relationship on the road...

Craftsman
    Strangely I had one of these on the bed in my hotel room this week in the Netherlands.
    I hadn't seen one for years.
    I didn't know they do harm.
    I transferred mine carefully to the carpet at the other end of the room.

Can you find yourself a gf without the creepy crawlies or you're too desperate?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Silverfish have been around for 400 Million years apparently. More fun facts:

https://www.terminix.com/pest-control/silverfish/facts/

Likely the whole apartment block is affected so even if dealt with in GF's apartment, they'll be back again.

A bit like the millions of cockroaches in the posh Mayfair and Belgravia apartments.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Likely the whole apartment block is affected so even if dealt with in GF's apartment, they'll be back again.

A bit like the millions of cockroaches in the posh Mayfair and Belgravia apartments.

dunk
    You don't say.

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Bought a house of an old dear few years ago, it had silver fish among other things.
    I used Something similar to theses it got rid of everything.

https://www.pestcontrolsupermarket.c...BoCwSwQAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    You don't say.

Does he live there?

No need to thank me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Does he live there?
    I doubt it. I hear he has an idiosyncratic reaction to the parasites.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Thanks,

But this is the Netherlands , "stadsverwarming" (central heating and warm water for a large part of the city via one big station), so dry as a mummy's skin ;)

37% says the hygrometer, so no problem there I guess.
    Ruling out any localized leak in one of the water pipes - may I ask do you have Cats?

reason I ask is I seemed to notice a rise in silvefish when I moved from one cat to two cats increasing the frequency of changing the cat litter - then since switching to crystals from the dusty type I notice there are less if any at all (though as I have mentioned we had the external cladding done so its warmer/dryer than previous years)

My theory is they travel in the bags that kept in damp warehouses writhing with silverfish and the eggs travel with them

Blog Entries
    No, no cats, dogs or other pets.

And if the whole building is indeed being visited by these creatures, she's dooooomed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Can you find yourself a gf without the creepy crawlies or you're too desperate?
    Yawn, bit bored son?

Apprentice

Silverfish help!

Sorry for bumping old thread, but. We have got them in the kitchen. We noticed a couple last week but didnt know what they were and just killed them. Then last night i put the light on in the kitchen and see a few scuttle away. I sprayed fly spray in the corners and under the skirting board that they crawled away under and now this morning theres about 11 of them on the floor, not dead but unable to crawl away (i'm assuming thats because of the fly spray).

Would this be classed as an infestation? I dont want to ring the councils pest control to come out if we can deal with it ourselves because we really cant afford it.

The skirting boards they went under is near our fridge. Obviously we will moving that out when OH gets back from work tonight.

In the room next to wear we found them is an old dark toilet in an outbuilding i'm assuming we have got them because of that. IMO it all needs knocking down but this is a council house and they wont do it.

Any suggestions what we can do? I'm a bit freaked out and feel like my house is dirty.

Oh and ps we have only lived here 4 months, would this have been a problem with the old tenants?

And one more:

I'm trying to trap some squirrels. What's the best bait. Who can give good advice? I used peanut butter the first day and immediately got one . . .but, it was like the rest were watching and they don't come near the trap now.

I'm trying to thin out the pests around the house . . .they have become a problem. Can't shoot them.
    Last edited by Jytcijir; 2nd December 2019 at 08:10.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jytcijir View Post
    Sorry for bumping old thread, but. We have got them in the kitchen. We noticed a couple last week but didnt know what they were and just killed them. Then last night i put the light on in the kitchen and see a few scuttle away. I sprayed fly spray in the corners and under the skirting board that they crawled away under and now this morning theres about 11 of them on the floor, not dead but unable to crawl away (i'm assuming thats because of the fly spray).

Would this be classed as an infestation? I dont want to ring the councils pest control to come out if we can deal with it ourselves because we really cant afford it.

The skirting boards they went under is near our fridge. Obviously we will moving that out when OH gets back from work tonight.

In the room next to wear we found them is an old dark toilet in an outbuilding i'm assuming we have got them because of that. IMO it all needs knocking down but this is a council house and they wont do it.

Any suggestions what we can do? I'm a bit freaked out and feel like my house is dirty.

Oh and ps we have only lived here 4 months, would this have been a problem with the old tenants?
    What are the council houses like in Santa Clara?

They’re pretty harmless TBH and not there because house is/isn’t dirty.

Blog Entries
    Silverfish... Often to be found in apartments due to the fact that you can be surrounded by neighbours who aren't keen on keeping their home clean & damp-free. They start to travel and can crawl through anything. (Hence their 400m year survival...) Has also to do with the way modern houses are sealed air-tight. In the old days, we were able to open a door or window to let fresh air in.

In my case, living next to a park, an open door attracts mice. Oh well, there's always something...

What are they called in Dutch?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    What are they called in Dutch?
    zilvervisjes = small silverfishes. The 'je' (singular) or 'jes' (plural) at the end of a noun tells you that in the English translation you need a word like 'small' or 'tiny' for the correct translation.
    Last edited by thieuster; 25th November 2019 at 12:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Jytcijir View Post

Copied and pasted, just like his other post...

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Copied and pasted, just like his other post...
    I just came here from the Daytona thread hoping to catch that he’d copied and pasted this too... and lo and behold...

How odd. Copied a years old post just to up the post count?