closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dog food

Dog food

I recently adopted a lovely lurcher rescue dog and was advised to try and keep her on the same stuff that they were giving her, at least for the time being. This consisted of Canagans Dry food, and Lily's Kitchen tinned wet food.
    Any other brand recommendations?

I lost my last dog to cancer so this time have been a bit more conscious of "doing things right", but had to strike a balance between cost and doing the best I could.

We give her Truline Meat and Fish which is one of the "better" commercial/mass produced dry foods, she's a bedlington terrier. Loves it and not died yet.

Craftsman
    I have two Alsatians, one at 14 years and one at 18 months.

I feed both raw meat only and both are as fit as butchers dogs!

Teeth are sparkly on both and i never have issues with them or their health.

It is well worth looking into and not as expensive as i thought it would be averaging out at €3.00 per dog per day.

Seriously worth a look at. Have a look here for starters if you are interested, your dogs will thank you for not eating that other shit. http://rawmeatybones.com/petowners.php

I should add, that I'm happy to regard my new dog pretty much as one of my offspring and hence spare no expense, however my wife, ever the penny pincher is quite happy to buy Aldi dog food. A balance is therefore required!

I'm sure there'll be as many recommendations as there are posts!

Dry food is convenient and easy to feed, so for kibble, I'd avoid anything bulked out with stuff like grains, beet pulp, potato etc. Origen is very good, but can be a bit rich for some dogs. I have my Cocker on Acana. You could also look at Eden and Millie's Wolfheart, also both excellent and grain free and both UK companies (Origen and Acana is made in Canada).
    Last edited by Geralt; 14th November 2018 at 09:39.

Craftsman
    When we changed over ten years ago we did not really notice any great difference in the price. Also the dogs along with not getting crap food do not get 'treats' or dinner scraps etc albeit very rarely.

If your wife is happy for the dogs to comprimise perhaps she could also?

Craftsman
    For treats we use these... https://www.staglers.co.uk/ The dogs love them and they genuinly help with the teeth and once more are not rubbish food going in to their system.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    not died yet.
    Result!

My three are all fed a raw diet and I am a huge advocate.

I appreciate that this is not for everyone though due to the requirement for my three dogs to have their own huge chest freezer and fridge - which is not particularly convenient when space may be tight! I would rather that than store my food with their green tripe and raw chicken carcasses though.....

Chappie and Lidl dog food for our beardy, Chappie is fish based and similar to the Royal Cain thats available in our vets. Raw meat is very good so i have been told by many owners and is a more natural diet.

We never feed dry biscuit as too many chemicals GM crops ect

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    You could also look at Eden and Millie's Wolfheart, also both excellent and grain free and both UK companies (Origen and Acana is made in Canada).
    Can't recommend Millies Wolfheart highly enough, we've been feeding our two on it for years now.

We're lucky enough to live close to the business so can collect directly from them for a small discount.

Master
    we use this for the 2 Frenchies, supplemented with a tin of sardines, their coasts and skin are much with this

https://burnspet.co.uk/pork-potato-food-for-dogs.html

Another Millies Wolfheart recommendation here. Not cheap but excellent quality food.

Craftsman
    I think nearly everyone here would do well to read up on feeding your dogs raw meat.

Journeyman
    We feed ours skinners, seem great on it

Master

Dog food

I have a lurcher and I was advised that Redmills racer is good for them because it’s high in protein. I’ve been feeding my dog on it for about a year now and I think she’s doing great on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I should add, that I'm happy to regard my new dog pretty much as one of my offspring and hence spare no expense, however my wife, ever the penny pincher is quite happy to buy Aldi dog food. A balance is therefore required!
    Serve the wife aldi dog food for a week, she'll soon change her tune
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I have a lurcher and I was advised that Redmills racer is good for them because it’s high in protein. I’ve been feeding my dog on it for about a year now and I think she’s doing great on it.
    There is no way you are up in Mid Glamorgan, a clear photoshop there of blue sky!

Master
    Raw mince here too with a small scoop of Royal canin

We have 2 Springers, Weetabix in the morning and Chappie for tea. They seem to thrive on this👍.

Cheers

We are fans of a brand called Futalis, created as a result of a partnership with the Institute of Animal Nutrition of the University of Leipzig. You fill out a questionnaire and they put together a formula for your dog based on "breed, age, weight, activity level, breeding behavior, illnesses, allergies, predispositions and nutrition status". Unfortunately their website is only in German and I don't think they have any plans to expand outside of Germany but the concept's a good one.

https://futalis.de/
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post

Too much protein was in fact one of the main reasons Dr John Burns (Vet) decided devise his own brand, as made his dogs too active/stressed
    We have used his products for many years and our Goldens have lived to ripe old ages (16.5 / 14.1 / 14.0 and 12.5 (illness)) WOuld not even consider other brands, too high in salt and proteins!
    We have recently, on recommendation, started using their 'freefrom'' range, suggest google and study ....

https://burnspet.co.uk/
    Last edited by ingenioren; 14th November 2018 at 17:27.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    Chappie and Lidl dog food for our beardy, Chappie is fish based and similar to the Royal Cain thats available in our vets. Raw meat is very good so i have been told by many owners and is a more natural diet.

We never feed dry biscuit as too many chemicals GM crops ect
    Over the years we’ve had 2 dogs that had dicky tummys...... on both occasions we switched to Chappie.... both dogs did great on it, we lost one of em recently due to heart failure, but the other one is 11 and as fit as a fiddle..

We fed our three raw for a couple of years, got fed up of the hassle in the end, defrosting meat in the garage, separate freezer, bacteria concerns, etc etc. We moved over to Millie’s Wolfheart a couple of years ago and have never regretted it, they’re all healthy and seem to enjoy eating it.

Craftsman
    If any-one does want to consider raw for their dog then feel free to PM me, it is not a hassle. ( To feed raw that is, or PM me!).

My German Shepherd is on Royal Canin hypoallergenic kibble (has allergies) and Cavapoo on royal canin obesity. I can recommend both

Andy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    My German Shepherd is on Royal Canin hypoallergenic kibble (has allergies) and Cavapoo on royal canin obesity. I can recommend both

Andy
    Have used Royal Canin foods before and still use one for our current spaniel. They seem pretty good and have different types depending on the dogs needs. Not cheap but what is nowadays.

ook

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    There is no way you are up in Mid Glamorgan, a clear photoshop there of blue sky!
    Ordinarily I would agree with you, but we were blessed with a freak summer this year.

We’re using Beco dog food.
    https://www.becopets.com/food/cod-and-haddock

Available on Amazon
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

We feed our whippets on Honeys raw food. The logistics are a bit complex (most of a small chest freezer in the basement is given over to storage) but it’s easy to handle and both dogs absolutely love it.

Evidence below - Gracie the brindle is 4, Eric the blue is 10 months.

Generated from my Apple iPhone using tools.sportscard.trade

Most of mine are on Essential food https://www.essentialfoodsgb.co.uk/

They are all doing well on it.

Grand Master
    I’m a part-time dog keeper, I look after stepdaughters labrador 2-3 days/week. I never realised what a complex subject dog food is, I’m very conscious that the stuff we eat is often bad for dogs but that’s about the limit of my thinking. However, a few months ago they stopped feeding the labrador on tinned food and it’s had a marked positive effect on his stool consistency, he now puts in a ‘good solid performance’ and picking it up is far easier. Not sure whether this is the ideal criteria to judge his diet, but it’s a tangible advantage.

On a more serious note, I think over-feeding is as much of an issue than the quality of the food, allowing the dog to become overweight is a mistake and it’s not the dog’s fault!

Craftsman
    7 year old German Shepherd here and have always fed her on large breed Arden Grange.

Lily's Kitchen is excellent (especially the grain free). Our Parson Russell has a sensitive stomach and suffered with itchy skin. But on this food no issues at all, although it is expensive but she eats every bit of it and makes her full of beans (even for a 12 year old).
    So if you dog starts suffering from diarrhoea (but no other symptoms and eating fine) - suspect the food :)

We use Nature’s Menu Country Hunter; our little one loves it.

It comes frozen in ice cube sized sized chunks in a variety of flavours, so we give her a mix. She only has 12 chunks a day, so we take them out at night to defrost, give her half in the morning, put in the fridge and give her the rest in the evening.

Really convenient.

Her favourite treat read is rabbit ears!

We feed Dot on Langhams hypo allergenic from Aldi.

Suits her fine.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Our dog has Lilys Kitchen on top of dry food and has done for years. Always eats the lot and has a lovely shiny coat.

Interesting read this. We took in a 7 month old lab as a failed gun dog in about a year and a half ago and he was so stressed his stomach and rear end produce was a mess.

After much advice from the vet and other owners we have settled on a mix of nutriment raw dog food and royal canin sensitive and he has been transformed both physically and in temperament. Took a while to find what worked - about 9months - but definitely worth the effort and expense, which is minimal in perspective to having a happy and healthy pooch. He is still bonkers but I have been told that is normal for a 2 year old lab!

Master

Dog food

I feed my dog on Orijen (various flavours to give a bit of variety).

She's not a real dog, more of a breathing teddy bear, so maybe it's not a comparable use case, but she loves the stuff. Interestingly the discolouration of her white beard and eyes has been much reduced since moving to Orijen (She was on James Wellbeloved before, which was recommended but has apparently changed for the worse since being bought by some huge company).
    Last edited by MadeOfCheese; 15th November 2018 at 17:18. Reason: Good excuse to add a picture of the dog :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    If any-one does want to consider raw for their dog then feel free to PM me, it is not a hassle. ( To feed raw that is, or PM me!).
    Why don't you post publicly for all to see? If you've got something to say etc...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Why don't you post publicly for all to see? If you've got something to say etc...
    Go to the link i posted and read there. I was offering the pm if any-one felt they wanted a discussion. Sometimes this forum is not the best place as there are a number of people that just like to be argumentative if a point does not agree with theirs, that gets booring some times.
    I think that feeding raw is better than the commercial food is all.

Journeyman
    We feed one of our Samoyeds Burns and the other is on Arden Grange. The reason they're on different food is that when we took on #2 a few months ago, he was on Arden Grange and it suits him. Both are doing really well. They also get deer antlers as treats and they love them.

What I find interesting is that there's lots of different recommendations. That's a good this as far as I can see because it seems that unless you get the real cheap rubbish there'll be someone who swears by whatever it is.
    I've ordered some deer antler as that looks interesting, and the dog doesn't seem bothered about chewing anything at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    What I find interesting is that there's lots of different recommendations. That's a good this as far as I can see because it seems that unless you get the real cheap rubbish there'll be someone who swears by whatever it is.
    I've ordered some deer antler as that looks interesting, and the dog doesn't seem bothered about chewing anything at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    I'm sure there'll be as many recommendations as there are posts!
    Told you!

It's a bit like 'Can anyone recommend a decent watch?'!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Mine has burns small breed chicken and rice biscuits with some James well beloved turkey and vegetables on top.
    She eats healthier than I do.

Craftsman
    We have a one year old Bulldog and one year old Pug and we feed them Canagan dry in the morning and Canagan plus Natural Instincts raw at tea time.
    They also have green lipped mussel tablets for their joints.

My two are getting there on - 11 & 12! The 12 year old is a border with arthritis as he has been a swimmer all his life unusually for a terrier. He also has a big growth/lump on his front knee which is inhibits him slightly which believed to be benign.

He was on anti inflammatory tablets but decided to stop and start giving him Tumeric twice a day with Apple Cider Vingear. Definitely helped they also have chappie with a few biscuits but although fed twice a day the portions are small.

My girly gets a bit of this and some of that (fortglade trays, butchers tripe (in a tin), fresh stinky tripe, chappie, scraps etc: I just can't be asked with a fussy eating dog if she's hungry she eats it.. if she's not it'll still be there for when she is.
    I give her at least half a dozen eggs a week fried, raw or boiled (not poached :0) and a tin of sardines in oil every other day which seems to keep her coat lovely sleek and shiny.
    Also she gets pigs ears (whole fatty ones like huge porky scratchings) not the little dry strip jobbies and pizzles which are oh so smelly but my god she loves them.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Master
    Have 2 rescue dogs and 2 rescue cats, both the dogs and one of the cats had constant health issues until someone recommended a raw food only diet. I cannot believe the difference, they are both more energetic, healthier skin and coat, teeth are good, breath is much better and cleaning up after them is much more pleasant. As stated above many times everyone will recommend all sorts of different options and swear by them but i think raw food is definitely worth a trial, its also cheaper which is a bonus

Journeyman
    Yep, my dog is on raw too and very happy on it. For a 40kg dog, shes getting 0.25kg chicken wings for brekkie and a 0.5kg bag of mince and offal for dinner.

Theres no getting away from the mess preparing it, but it seems to suit her digestion well and is thus well worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk