closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: REPLIES: Any Dentist on the forum?

REPLIES: Any Dentist on the forum?

I saw that the above thread had 24 replies and was fascinated that TZ-UK has 24 dentists among its members!

I jumped right in, not wanting to waste a minute before accessing their invaluable advice and insights. You guessed it: zero (0) dentists replied!

I didn’t reply on that one - toothpaste selection isn’t rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    😁 :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    One (1) did

Master
    Blog Entries
    Let's be fair, it's probably about AS complicated as rocket science. Rocket science is easy, you shoot gas out of one end & it moves in the opposite direction. Rocket technology on the other hand..

Stomatology is not rocket science.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Stomatology is not rocket science.
    Thanks.

Following on from my post, I’ve now decided
    Stick with Euthymol and sod the dentist and then as per recommendation alternate with Vim.
    Euthymol in the morning
    Vim at night time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    They're on a good crack.

Poke around in your gob for 10 minutes, if that, £26.10 please, that's £156.60 an hour.

Hygienist, brush and floss your teeth with an industrial jet wash and rotary sander, 10 minutes £32.00, that's £192.00 an hour.

So a combined visit that's £58.10, or £348.60 an hour, lets say only 5 patient working hours a day, 3 in the morning 2 after a long lunch that's £1743 a day, or £8715 a week!!!

No wonder my dentist drive a Bentley GT, I think I've paid for it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Waaaaay out. Plus you're forgetting the overheads. Staff salary, rent, materials, equipment leases, business rates, indemnity insurance, GDC subscriptions, laboratory bills, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    They're on a good crack.

Poke around in your gob for 10 minutes, if that, £26.10 please, that's £156.60 an hour.

Hygienist, brush and floss your teeth with an industrial jet wash and rotary sander, 10 minutes £32.00, that's £192.00 an hour.

So a combined visit that's £58.10, or £348.60 an hour, lets say only 5 patient working hours a day, 3 in the morning 2 after a long lunch that's £1743 a day, or £8715 a week!!!

Mine in Coventry was the same, do the get dentist discounts on Bentley, but at least he also wore a Gold Rolex Datejust on a jubilee bracelet.
    He did offer to get me discount from his AD!

REPLIES: Any Dentist on the forum?

They're on a good crack.

I think you are way out and this is insulting to the hard working members of the profession...

Most are on cocaine 🤪

A fine distinction to be sure , why do you think we wear those masks !
    No one wants to look up their dentist’s nose and stare at a missing septum .
    Last edited by MarkO; 13th November 2018 at 13:01.

My mate is a dentist and I'm a doctor.

He earns twice what I do for working 1/2 of my hours.

I work nights and weekends on a 1/5 rota in the NHS.

He works 4 days a week 09:00-17:00. All private work.

I'd still rather do my job, though he did get a nice trip to Switzerland from one of the companies that makes the material for fillings. Somehow snowboarding and some time larking on a snowmobile were relevant to him understanding filling tech advances.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Thanks.

Following on from my post, I’ve now decided
    Stick with Euthymol and sod the dentist and then as per recommendation alternate with Vim.
    Euthymol in the morning
    Vim at night time.

I’m just going to stick with Cillit Bang.

Not tried Cilla Black
    Let me know how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Not tried Cilla Black
    Let me know how it goes

Brushing your teeth with charcoal works fine

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've got a patient, a retired bishop, who used to use his wife's nail file to descale his own teeth. Made quite a good job of filing down his teeth at the same time :-/

Craftsman
    I haven’t been to the dentist in about 18-24 months, used to go every 6 months but fell out the routine.

Back from holiday next week so will get my self booked in, apart from the last time I was there (had a filling) it’s normally just a check up and hand scale/polish.

My dentist has since gone private and I don’t mind following him as he’s a nice bloke and we have always have a laugh which makes things easier. I noticed on his price list he offers ultrasonic cleaning, seems to be a less ‘harsh’ way of cleaning them but is it as effective and can it be used on everyone or would I benefit from hand scale/polish if I haven’t been for 18/24 months.

I don’t smoke btw, rarely drink coffee and brush twice a day plus rinse with mouthwash at least once a day.

Craftsman
    They're on a good crack.

Mine charges £88 for that little lot !!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Brushing your teeth with charcoal works fine
    My Dad came from a large family.
    They brushed their teeth twice a day and used
    Soot & Salt.
    He died at 83.5 years young, still had his own teeth!

@GC2012 my dentist advised me to STOP using mouthwash because it stains teeth!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I tried a few and had mixed results. I use Dentyl now, it’s anti bacterial and contains no alcohol. Hopefully that’s ok. My teeth haven’t gone purple yet anyway!!

Going to get booked in for teeth whitening (Phillips Zoom method) after Xmas, I don’t have stained teeth but would like them a more natural white colour. It’s one thing I am quite conscious about.

You're not drinking enough tea, coffee or red wine then if mouthwash staining is the key concern

They're on a good crack.

Your figures are wrong. You’d be in there for twenty minutes for your £58.10 so only £174.30 an hour which is not much when all the necessary overheads are taken into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    You're not drinking enough tea, coffee or red wine then if mouthwash staining is the key concern
    I drink so much tea I can't tell you. I always get stains so have to have full scale and polish every 6 months. The tea is main reason but mouthwash makes it worse according to my dentist....

I drink so much tea I can't tell you. I always get stains so have to have full scale and polish every 6 months. The tea is main reason but mouthwash makes it worse according to my dentist....
    Very interesting - any indication given by them as to how it might make the staining worse?

Very interesting - any indication given by them as to how it might make the staining worse?
    Nope I just do what he tells me to do :-)

Nope I just do what he tells me to do :-)
    Understood! Personally, I take the potential protective qualities of mouthwash over the potential staining. My dentist is always very keen to point out the various cosmetic work they can do if you so desire, but has only ever strongly recommended mouthwash (I hope they're not linked!).

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's only mouthwashes that contain chlorhexidine which can cause tooth staining. The best known one of these being Corsodyl. The chlorhexidine molecule binds to hard & soft tissues in the mouth. That makes it a very good antiseptic because it hangs around in the mouth for a long time. Unfortunately it can also "glue" to your teeth stains from tea, coffee, red wine. Staining can be reduced by avoiding tea, coffee, red wine within an hour of use & by diluting the mouthwash. I usually say at least 50/50 or 1/3 Corsodyl to 2/3 water.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    It's only mouthwashes that contain chlorhexidine which can cause tooth staining. The best known one of these being Corsodyl. The chlorhexidine molecule binds to hard & soft tissues in the mouth. That makes it a very good antiseptic because it hangs around in the mouth for a long time. Unfortunately it can also "glue" to your teeth stains from tea, coffee, red wine. Staining can be reduced by avoiding tea, coffee, red wine within an hour of use & by diluting the mouthwash. I usually say at least 50/50 or 1/3 Corsodyl to 2/3 water.
    Great stuff, thank you for this.

Looking at most Listerine mouthwashes (Zero being my preferred choice), it doesn't contain chlorhexidine. So might this mean that whilst it doesn't necessarily 'promote' staining, as such it doesn't hang around in your mouth for as long a time as e.g. Corsodyl and thus has a reduced protective effect?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great stuff, thank you for this.

Looking at most Listerine mouthwashes (Zero being my preferred choice), it doesn't contain chlorhexidine. So might this mean that whilst it doesn't necessarily 'promote' staining, as such it doesn't hang around in your mouth for as long a time as e.g. Corsodyl and thus has a reduced protective effect?
    To be honest, whilst there's no harm in using it, there's not likely to be much of a beneficial effect other than to make your mouth taste & smell nice & to make your teeth "feel" cleaner. The latter effect by virtue of it containing a lubricant which makes your tongue slide over your teeth more easily thereby making them feel more but not actually being more clean.

The only mouthwashes I ever recommend are Corsodyl, used in the way I prescribed earlier, in cases of severe gingivitis & periodontitis. In these cases, stained teeth are the least of their worries. And Fluoride mouthwashes, such as Fluorigard, in cases of high caries (aka tooth decay) risk.