closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mobile suggestions.

Master

Mobile suggestions.

So it’s been twenty odd years since I started owning mobile phones with a pay as you go Motorola from Argos, then I turned 18 took out my first contract and went from there.
    I sold them for a number of years making use of staff tariffs and always having the latest phone at the time, with the latest must have, WAP, MP3, Bluetooth, Colour screen, the race to get as small as possible then in to the smart phones, so far this year I’ve had the IPhone 7 then the P20 pro and now an IPhone XS Max.

But it’s dawning on me, my life is being controlled by my mobile.
    It’s time for a change, some things I would rather do without but the rest I’d like to try and cut back on.

What I would like to stay with, decent battery life, calls, texts and emails (gmail)

Beneficial if I could run Spotify but not a deal breaker
    Dual sim would also be a bonus.

Can anyone suggest something that fits the bill, I was thinking about tracking down an old Blackberry but open to over suggestions to get me away from the powerful smart phone that is taking over my life.

Huawei P20pro dual sim, stonking battery life and everything else on your wish list.
    Oh and great camera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Huawei P20pro dual sim, stonking battery life and everything else on your wish list.
    Oh and great camera

Try reading the thread. He's already had one of those and wants to downgrade.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Op, I have the same problem. I think most people in our society do. I've seen a few 'dumb' phones appear in response to this issue, don't know anything about them though.
    Personally I think like any addiction you need to come up with a strategy that works for you. If you think getting different hardware will help then that's a good idea. But my experience of dealing with these sort of things lies primarily in the recognition that it is the way that we relate to the objects that is the cause of the problem. Once we have established that these things are the cause of suffering in our life, it is easier to let go of them. There are a number of existing strategies you can use with your existing phone. Good luck and let us know how you can get on. Maybe we could have a 'digital detox' thread as I know alot of people - almost everyone I know in the UK - has this problem. All the best dave

Moto e5 plus.
    Does lost for £100

Master
    My advice is ditch the phone.

People bang on all the time that they MUST have a mobile phone and can't possibly do without etc... etc.... but, honestly, you can cope without one. Life does go on and you can still do things like go on the internet, talk to people, go shopping, buy a cup of coffee, etc... The problem is people are just so addicted that they can't get their head around the concept of no phone but as someone that doesn't have a mobile phone I can honestly tell you there are alternative ways of doing things which is what mankind was doing thousands of years before they were invented. The problem I think is smart phone users (and that's the people I mean... having an old Nokia that's just for calls is a different kettle of fish!) are totally addicted to all the social media rubbish and instant messaging etc - that's what you need to break, that idea that you must be instantly advised if someone drops a bottle of milk on the kitchen floor really isn't that important (a girl in our office insisted on sending a picture and message to another girl in the office - so what? Who cares?!). I hear and occasionally see the messages and postings that people are sending to each other and, good grief, 99.9% of it is really total cobblers that you could do without and still carry on living just fine!

Thomas Reid
    I like having a reasonably powerful mobile phone. I don't watch video on it or play games, so it doesn't have to be super powerful, or have the snazziest possible display. I seldom send or receive text messages. But I liked being "connected" and use web, email and calendar quite a bit. Also, I like to listen to music and audio books on it. Given that it is Android, I think that an important thing for me in making it usable was to de-Googlefy it (no Play store; no Google Now; no Google Maps ...). The other thing was to minimize intrusive notifications. Apps (including system apps) that overdo notifications lose permission to use the notification system. To make things more polite, I have it set up to be absolutely quiet (including no vibrations) during calendar events marked as busy (the default) and I put lots of stuff in the calendar (papers I attend, dinner engagements, films, ...). Using this forum (via a web browser) is about the closest I come to using social media.

I've read about apps that are supposed to reduce app usage. Oh, the irony. Perhaps the way to get a balance that you are happy with is only in only indirectly technological. Take any phone, decide what you want to do with it, and remove the ability to do the other stuff. You don't want to use Facebook? Remove (preferable) or disable the Facebook app. Don't want to play games? Remove the games. Too many notifications? Turn them off. This is my strategy, since I am weak of will. It is easier for me to resist temptation by exercising will once in removing the ability to do something or in setting some phone policy than having to resist temptation continuously. But, still, I have to decide and do.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Last edited by rfrazier; 13th November 2018 at 12:41.

Gmail is your problem. It needs constant browser or client updates. If you used a different provider like fast mail you could get a phone that doesn't need updates and use k9 email client.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    Gmail is your problem. It needs constant browser or client updates. If you used a different provider like fast mail you could get a phone that doesn't need updates and use k9 email client.
    I've never used anything but k9-mail on a phone (or tablet). Its user interface is said to be a bit clunky and old, but I don't care.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Try reading the thread. He's already had one of those and wants to downgrade.
    I read the thread Thank You
    But with the list of to do’s the Huawei makes perfect sense.
    Just delete the crap you don’t want.

As for down grading I’m not sure what is available with dual sims, good battery life, ease of use et al.

Master
    I’d love to ditch the phone all together but I need to be on call 24/7 so that’s a non starter.

I’ve just analysed my screen time over the last week and I’m averaging 4hrs 57 mins of time on the screen a day!
    Now beating in mind that during the day I’m sat behind a monitor for at least 6 hours if I’m in the office and it can’t be healthy.

The more I think about it the more I’m thinking that a basic phone maybe even digging out one of my old Nokia’s such as the 8910 for my day to day phone and have a basic smart phone for work use, so I can turn it off at night rather than combing the two in to one device.

What is the advantage in having dual sim cards?

Currently have a Samsung S8 and the apps I use most are Radarbot, These3words and whatsapp....

Gadget

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post

Currently have a Samsung S8 and the apps I use most are Radarbot, These3words and whatsapp....

Gadget
    Travel. When away for a while I've had to complete switch sims (New Zealand) or buy a couple of cheap phones (Argentina).

Work. Personal profile. Work profile. Using different sims.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    Travel. When away for a while I've had to complete switch sims (New Zealand) or buy a couple of cheap phones (Argentina).

Work. Personal profile. Work profile. Using different sims.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Does that mean if one has two sim cards, that mobile phone can be either one or the other number? on different networks?

Thomas Reid
    Does that mean if one has two sim cards, that mobile phone can be either one or the other number? on different networks?
    I'm not sure how it works, but I think so. What I'm not sure about is whether it can be on both at the same time.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    I'm not sure how it works, but I think so. What I'm not sure about is whether it can be on both at the same time.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    With my (old) Dual sim, both sims can be active, but you can select which one is the default for outgoing calls/texts, and or internet.

Master
    Dual sim means you can run two networks.
    My personal sim is on Three and my work one is on Vodafone.
    Having both in one phone means I only need to carry one phone.
    But the downside is I don’t switch off from work as I leave both on 24/7 great for my customers abroad, but not so good for my work life balance.

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    But the downside is I don’t switch off from work as I leave both on 24/7 great for my customers abroad, but not so good for my work life balance.
    Sounds like that is part of your problem

I have started leaving my mobile phone upstairs after work in attempt to spend more time with my family and not be distracted by emails, texts etc. I try avoid checking my phone until my children are in bed. It has worked to some extent.

Can you switch your phone to “do not disturb” but allow calls etc from your family/friends etc but work distractions are stopped or restricted to certain hours.

Craftsman
    Unless you are on call, leave the work phone in the office or in the car.

And like others have said, if you are using an app too much either kill ALL notifications from it and restrict its access to background data, or uninstall it.

Turning off notifications and stopping apps from connecting in the background does it for me AND extends my battery life by a huge amount.

It will only work and get new stuff when I open it and use it.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I have started leaving my mobile phone upstairs after work in attempt to spend more time with my family and not be distracted by emails, texts etc. I try avoid checking my phone until my children are in bed. It has worked to some extent.

Can you switch your phone to “do not disturb” but allow calls etc from your family/friends etc but work distractions are stopped or restricted to certain hours.
    I don't know about all ROMs, but mine has something called "Priority only allows" for do not disturb. Although I don't use it much, it can be set to allow calls only from starred contacts. Then you can set do not disturb for the relevant hours of the relevant days.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Old Nokia?

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    Thanks for that

and thanks Bob....

Master
    Bit of a left field suggestion but what about a cellular Apple Watch?
    Calls
    Emails
    Texts
    Decent battery life

Gadget
    I have three as my main account - where my parents live is a deadspot so I have a PAYG EE SIM that works fine.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Op, I have the same problem. I think most people in our society do. I've seen a few 'dumb' phones appear in response to this issue, don't know anything about them though.
    Personally I think like any addiction you need to come up with a strategy that works for you. If you think getting different hardware will help then that's a good idea. But my experience of dealing with these sort of things lies primarily in the recognition that it is the way that we relate to the objects that is the cause of the problem. Once we have established that these things are the cause of suffering in our life, it is easier to let go of them. There are a number of existing strategies you can use with your existing phone. Good luck and let us know how you can get on. Maybe we could have a 'digital detox' thread as I know alot of people - almost everyone I know in the UK - has this problem. All the best dave
    Dave is spot on...

I switch my phone off at weekends, and switch it to silent as soon as I got home in the evenings, if someone needs to get hold of me (like a Family member) they have my landline number, all other calls, emails etc. can wait.

Master
    If a Blackberry is a real option I've got 1 like brand new in its box with all the bits (headphones unused,cd disc 2 cases apartfrom the power supply which I may be able to find for you.
    Its a 8707v on Vodafone.
    Free of charge as I'm not sure if it will work including postage and if it works say a smalltoken donation to the fundraiser,