closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My new Longines flagship

My new Longines flagship

[IMG] [/IMG]

Hello

I thought I would share my new purchase with you all, I bought it at auction last week

It needs a service and a crystal replacement but seems to be keeping good time. Im thinking of a genuine Longines strap and buckle? , it wont be the original but its as close as I can get.

Going to e mail Longines now and see what info I can get

All the best
    Rob

Thomas Reid
    Very nice! My favourite watch has a Longines movement. The movement is a 12.68N (a kind gift from Foggy).

Best wishes,
    Bob

Lovely watch.

I bought a little vintage Longines from SC last weekend.

I used the online form and contacted Longines to request an Extract from the Archives. Within 5 working days they had posted me a lovely ‘certificate’ with details of the watch and the date it was originally invoiced. This service was free of charge and I have to say, I was very impressed with their customer service. Here’s a link for some more info:

https://www.longines.co.uk/certificate-of-authenticity

That looks fantastic congratulations on your new purchase. A service and it will be a lovely formal watch to wear.

Thanks Guys

@ mr Tetley I ve just contacted Longines this afternoon hopefully will have something from the archives soon

I have been studying pics and it has B & co Im assuming this means Beaume and co the uk importers for Longines in the sixties

It was a badly described on the auction web page but had 2 good photos, It was sold as Gold plate but I knew from my past research over the last couple of months this could be gold because of the case back, I bid for it as a risk/ franken watch but had a good feeling it was original.

I dont know if this is solid 9 k or gold filled ? but I'm over the moon with the price I bought at ,considering I was looking on Chrono at a stainless model for more money

By the way this is my first vintage purchase for my self and Ive looked at literally hundreds of these Flagships dials and posts on other forums to make sure this was a nice original example ( I just noticed batton marker at twelve looks wrong in the pics I can assure you its just the camera angle)

Its keeping very good time after a winding

All the best
    Rob

Journeyman
    Looks like its solid gold, if it was filled/plated etc, it wouldn't just show the purity.

Beautiful watch btw, particularly like the design on the case-back.

Thanks jim bob

This is why I wanted one of these , I love that caseback

I cant find any assy/ hallmarks . I have spotted a solid 9 k online for sale different movement but similar watch this has hallmarks to the left of the 9 k 0.375 markings!

There are some light marks on the inside of the casing, where the rotor has probably rubbed after bearing failure as these Cal 345 are known for this. Its in this area that the assy marks are missing .

I guess it comes down to Longines and see what they come back with, it could be a damaged back that has been replaced at some point

All the best

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    Thanks jim bob

This is why I wanted one of these , I love that caseback

I cant find any assy/ hallmarks . I have spotted a solid 9 k online for sale different movement but similar watch this has hallmarks to the left of the 9 k 0.375 markings!

All the best
    It’s solid 9ct gold. Lack of assay marks could just mean it’s not a UK watch. Lovely find.

Foggy

hi Foggy

thanks for compliment ,I assume you collect Longines? as you were mentioned earlier in the thread.

Its got B and co written on case back I thought this was the Uk importer?

What a beautiful piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    What a beautiful piece.

Thanks im very happy

hi Foggy

thanks for compliment ,I assume you collect Longines? as you were mentioned earlier in the thread.

Its got B and co written on case back I thought this was the Uk importer?
    I collect vintage, not just Longines.

B is indeed for Baume - maybe it was imported and for some reason never made it to the assay office? I can’t tell from your pics but if there were ever assay marks, it would be some job for the rotor to have completely wiped them.

Regardless, a cracking watch, and in lovely condition. Will be interesting to see what info Longines come back with.

Cheers

Foggy

thanks Foggy

Hopefully next week i will have all the answers.

Will update here once I know

All the best
    Rob

thanks Foggy

Hopefully next week i will have all the answers.

Will update here once I know

All the best
    Rob
    You should have the answers by Wednesday. They emailed me within 2 days to give the info and to say that the extract from the archives was on its way. I was very impressed with their service.

Update from Longines

Dear Mr Boyes,

We thank you for contacting us and for your interest in Longines watches.

Further to your request, we are pleased to provide the information contained in Longines' handwritten registers.

Originally, the serial number 13'816'333 identifies a wristwatch in steel bearing the reference 3118, part of the Flagship collection. It is fitted with a Longines mechanical self-winding movement, caliber 345 and was invoiced on 19 August 1968 to the company Baume and Co., which was at that time our agent for the UK.

Based on the pictures provided, we can deduct that some transformation have probably been done after the watch has left the company. In consequence we cannot certify the authenticity of your watch without having it in our hands.

We hope this information will be of help to you and remain at your entire disposal for any further information you may need.

Truly yours,

Fatima Boulanouar
    Brand Heritage

Compagnie des Montres Longines Francillon SA
    CH-2610 Saint-Imier, Switzerland
    Phone +41 32 942 53 55 - Fax +41 32 942 52 39
    Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube

Oh dear ! good job I never payed too much for it

Apologies for going a bit off topic but...

Ive had a few Conquests - one a vintage, the other a modern heritage reproduction (the former was way better) but moved them on as I prefer manual wind with vintage pieces. This thread has led me to look at manual wind Flagships - there are a number around. I quite like this one, needs a good clean and probably a service but its in my favourite format of SS case, light coloured dial and gold hands & indices. I like the sub seconds hand too.

Grand Master
    The OP’s watch looks nice to me. As for buying a genuine Longines strap, I wouldn’t bother, what they supply won’t be identical to the strap fitted originally so to me it’s pointless. A Longines buckle would be nice (if you can find one at sensible money) but again it may not look like the original.

I love vintage watches, but I think people get drawn into what I call ‘warm-feeling-itis’, they get drawn into trying to make the watch better by adding branded stuff such as straps, acrylic glasses and buckles. Even a branded replacement crystal is unlikely to be an exact copy of the original, it’l fit correctly but the profile may differ significantly. Unless there’s something specific about the way it fits I’d use a generic, same goes for straps.

Strongly advise people who buy stuff like this to spend their money wisely by getting the watches properly serviced and sorted out rather than buying ‘genuine’ straps etc at silly prices. I like an old watch to have the correct marked crown, but even these aren’t exactly like the ones suplied originally.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 14th November 2018 at 11:54.

@ paul I totally agree with what you posted,[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

I have just got the strap today see pics £24.50 delivered ,not too expensive I thought and a nice thin strap which i thought would suit vintage better.

Regards
    Rob

Apologies for going a bit off topic but...

Ive had a few Conquests - one a vintage, the other a modern heritage reproduction (the former was way better) but moved them on as I prefer manual wind with vintage pieces. This thread has led me to look at manual wind Flagships - there are a number around. I quite like this one, needs a good clean and probably a service but its in my favourite format of SS case, light coloured dial and gold hands & indices. I like the sub seconds hand too.

Lovely ! I really like that

A conquest is on my radar for the future ,probably new year now unless i find a good watch for a very low price. I think they did a manual Conquest as I have seen 1 for sale I'm not a 100% on this as most are autos

I am looking at a couple of Longines manual winds at the moment , nobody seems to want them a bit like ladys watches . Im also interested in a girard Perregaux 39 jewels which maybe purchased today if Im lucky!

Master
    Lovely piece !!

Grand Master
    A Longines strap at £24 sounds good to me.......I`m surprised they'll sell something branded at that price. Looks nice too.

I am looking at a couple of Longines manual winds at the moment , nobody seems to want them a bit like ladys watches . Im also interested in a girard Perregaux 39 jewels which maybe purchased today if Im lucky!
    I really like the manual winds. This one is 34mm and wears very well imho.

I doubt its a proper Longines it could be old new stock from a job lot at a jewlers, it was purchased on Etsy for anyone interested good seller very quick delivery ordered Monday came today

I like it its thin, came with spring bars which is a shame as i have just ordered 2 from the bay ,oh well wont hurt to have some spares. I also ordered a Burgeon spring bar remover which I managed to fit the strap with out doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Lovely linen dial there Mr Tetley

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post

Nice Linen Dial? Looks good

Im looking for a Sport Chief, Silvergeines, Silver Arrow dont want to pay a fortune as It probably wont be all original.

I want to build a collection with Longines manuals from early 50's ,60's through to automatics from 50's ,60's and 70's, thats my goal

I find it amazing that i could have several vintage Longines with bloody good movements all for the price of 1 Rolex, Patek ect ect

Lovely linen dial there Mr Tetley
    I was always fond of your old linen dialled Omega. That is a lovely watch!

Nice Linen Dial? Looks good

Im looking for a Sport Chief, Silvergeines, Silver Arrow dont want to pay a fortune as It probably wont be all original.

I want to build a collection with Longines manuals from early 50's ,60's through to automatics from 50's ,60's and 70's, thats my goal

I find it amazing that i could have several vintage Longines with bloody good movements all for the price of 1 Rolex, Patek ect ect
    You’re on a slippery slope

@ mr tetley

Your right purchased another 2 today! both auctions will start another thread once ive got them here.

Its bloody addictive! im still new to this but i want to start a good collection . It doesnt help that im off work at the moment with man flu so on the laptop most of the day

Just wanted to update and close off this thread. The longines has now been serviced , polished and the crystal replaced by Brendan, who has done a fantastic job! [IMG] [/IMG

Unfortunately I had to purchase another movement as my original was missing some parts, the watch is now running as Longines intended.

Master
    Here's mine - 1960's? - Model Number 304-5 460 - manual wind

Gold, (filled??) - SS back - still has original crown - 17 jewels - very light cream dial - sweep second hand

34mm - 36.4mm with crown - 16mm lugs - but were these watches fitted with wider straps, (16mm) which had small recesses at the lugs?

still looking for a suitable leather strap

watch photography is difficult!!! - take ages even to get an average shot
    Last edited by BillN; 5th February 2019 at 22:59.

Thanks Lads, I ve been wearing it this morning its keeping excellent time.

@ Bill N Wow ,thats a lovely 30L Chrono .I purchased my Genuine strap from a seller on Etsy details further down in this thread ,came complete with spring bars and was delivered quickly. Im not affiliated with the seller but I would recommend them.

Master
    Thanks Lads, I ve been wearing it this morning its keeping excellent time.

@ Bill N Wow ,thats a lovely 30L Chrono .I purchased my Genuine strap from a seller on Etsy details further down in this thread ,came complete with spring bars and was delivered quickly. Im not affiliated with the seller but I would recommend them.
    Thanks Robbo - just wondering about the strap

The lugs on my watch taper to 15mm, but I notice on most Longines Flagships that I see they have an 18mm strap - the strap that mine came with, not an original Longines is 16.4mm wide with very small "cut outs" at the spring bars, reducing the width to 15.2mm - an 18mm strap would just be too big!!
    I also need to find an original gold Longines buckle

The seller on Etsy sells buckles , I think they are going to be 18mm ! My strap was 18 mm width and fits perfect.

There is a seller on Ebay that had some NOS longines buckles, I noticed these a while ago they were not cheap but looked original.

I think you are going to have to go down the specially made route for your watch. As a matter of interest has your watch had a replacement casing ? or are the lugs bent as I assumed all Flagships were a 18mm lug width

Master
    The seller on Etsy sells buckles , I think they are going to be 18mm ! My strap was 18 mm width and fits perfect.

There is a seller on Ebay that had some NOS longines buckles, I noticed these a while ago they were not cheap but looked original.

I think you are going to have to go down the specially made route for your watch. As a matter of interest has your watch had a replacement casing ? or are the lugs bent as I assumed all Flagships were a 18mm lug width
    Thanks again Robbo

as far as I know the watch is all original, and it looks so - I think 16mm is a fairly common size for a Longines watch of this age - some use 16mm straps and some 17mm straps - (as I indicated with a little applied cut out - i.e. it is the design of the strap??)

16mm you can sometimes just see the spring bars - 17mm not - I just need to find a strap with the proper small cut outs - I'll post an image
    Last edited by BillN; 5th February 2019 at 16:04.

Master

this strap came from eBay - I think - I need to find what the original would look like, or try to find an original - they have 16mm, 17mm straps on eBay for about £20 with an "original" Longines Buckle

The lugs are 16.4mm - the strap is (probably) 17mm - but cut back slightly - by hand, but is this the original design .... I think that I need a 17mm strap

Last edited by BillN; 5th February 2019 at 16:41.

I recently purchased a stainless strap for one of my other watches from Watch Band center ,just Google it. They are based in Germany and have a fairly large range of straps from different makers .

You can do a search by lug width on the sales page and it will bring up all the straps available . You can also confirm that your strap will fit if you email them.

I found there service to be excellent , they confirmed my strap would fit and the strap was with me in 3 days. Also they were 20% cheaper than UK sellers on the same straps

You wont get one with a Longines buckle ,this will have to be purchased somewhere else.