closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jaguar iPace - my experience

Jaguar iPace - my experience

On Saturday I spent an excellent morning at Millbrook putting the new Jaguar iPace through it's paces - Alpine Course, High-speed ring, Turns, Skids, Road Driving and a lap with a Touring Car Champion.

I have to say I was blown away - the car is deeply impressive on every level. Beautifully built, very fast, stable, amazing tech and gadgets, great handling, and considerably cheaper than a Tesla S (which I have also driven). It also felt more like a quality car than the Tesla does.

This really is the future, and it was great.

Jaguar have really stolen a march on other manufacturers with this. I genuinely would have one, and indeed may well do when my car comes up for a change.

Anyone else tried one? Or have any thoughts?
    So clever my foot fell off.

I am currently looking to purchase one to replace my 6 month old Tesla Model S 100D which has been a nightmare.

I have a few issues with the iPace but overall I love the look and build quality, it is heavier on the battery than my Tesla but overall it is a great first EV from Jag it would have been nice if it could have been built in the UK.

Once the proper high speed DC chargers (ccs 100kw+) become common it will be a much better option than Tesla, until then the Tesla's USP of its Supercharging network which are truly fantastic will still make Tesla a better prospect for long distances.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    On Saturday I spent an excellent morning at Millbrook putting the new Jaguar iPace through it's paces - Alpine Course, High-speed ring, Turns, Skids, Road Driving and a lap with a Touring Car Champion.

I have to say I was blown away - the car is deeply impressive on every level. Beautifully built, very fast, stable, amazing tech and gadgets, great handling, and considerably cheaper than a Tesla S (which I have also driven). It also felt more like a quality car than the Tesla does.

This really is the future, and it was great.

Jaguar have really stolen a march on other manufacturers with this. I genuinely would have one, and indeed may well do when my car comes up for a change.

Anyone else tried one? Or have any thoughts?
    I'd rather poke out my eyes than buy an SUV. Cars need to become lighter and use less of whatever fuel they take (not to mention batteries and even tyres produce a lot of dangerous particulates), not bigger and uglier.

Gordon Murray's version of the future is the one we need. Sadly it's not yet what everyone wants.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Jaguar pace thing 2* box on wheels at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I'd rather poke out my eyes than buy an SUV. Cars need to become lighter and use less of whatever fuel they take (not to mention batteries and even tyres produce a lot of dangerous particulates), not bigger and uglier.

Gordon Murray's version of the future is the one we need. Sadly it's not yet what everyone wants.
    I'm with Simon on this, but sadly we seem to be in the minority.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Different cars for different people I guess. As someone who is 6'2/3" (and broad shoulders) I find getting in and out of SUVs much easier. Plus, I enjoy the elevated driving position. So I am following this development with interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk View Post
    Jaguar pace thing 2* box on wheels at best.

Driven one have you?

And pretty much all the motoring press would seem to disagree with you.

Driven one have you?

How dare you question Volvoman and his divine motoring knowledge?

Driven one have you?

And yet remarkably they don't seem to spend their own money on the things. Not that I'm in anyway agreeing with or defending Fords/Merc/Volvoman.

Blog Entries
    That Jaguar is a good looking car, but I still fear that electric cars are a dead end street.
    How can it a good thing that nearly 50% of all bicycles in the Netherlands now have a battery for the electric help motor? Batteries are everywhere, and unless they can produce 100% eco friendly ones they will only be a stepping stone for another technology I'm afraid.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Incidentally isn't the future going to be powered by hydrogen rather than battery or fossil fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    No you're not.
    SUV's are for those given up on driving proper.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    they will only be a stepping stone for another technology I'm afraid.
    Arguably any technology is a stepping stone for another technology - that's how progress works ;-) .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    No you're not.
    Well i have a full blown John Cooper Works Mini full time turbo, racing clutch and six speed box which i drive proper but i cannot get four dogs, two grandkids, one wife plus assorted crap into it at one time so i also drive a MB Glc, it’s called horses for courses.

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on the Tesla Model S so would welcome the feedback from the dissatisfied owner as to his issues with the car

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on the Tesla Model S so would welcome the feedback from the dissatisfied owner as to his issues with the car
    I am considering starting a thread about it, but not just yet. I am happy to have a voice conversation with you about it if you wish? Drop me your number via PM.

I am currently in negotiations with Tesla for them to buy it back so I don't want to make a public statement about it yet.

No you're not.

At the moment I have a Touareg R-Line Plus for my daily use. It's very competent, not very economical though.

I can get the kids in it, the dog, our luggage, sports kits, and pretty much everything else.

I can't get anything like as much gear in my Maserati though...

I'm with Mart on this (not often I say that) - not convinced SUV's are for those "who have given up on driving". Some people see driving as simply a chore - which frankly it is most of the time. But some SUV's are great fun - tried a Porsche Maccan? Or a QRS3?

I just finished my 3 years with an M3. Amazing machine but barely got to explore it...terrible roads, speed restrictions (quite rightly) and then difficulty with so much power in the wet...and it's wet a lot.

Bought a Macan. Such a change, such comfort. Great for our two dogs as well. Never thought I'd buy an SUV.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    How dare you question Volvoman and his divine knowledge?
    FTFY

Incidentally isn't the future going to be powered by hydrogen rather than battery or fossil fuel?
    I think there are so many options in this space the make the choices interesting but I think electric will win. Betamax vs VHS again, but it seams to be the one most of the big manufacturers are backing. That suggested that by 2022 if you bought a new car it would be electric and by 2025 if you lived in an urban area you would not own a car. As there is a tipping point in economics for most of us. If owning a car costs £1 a mile if using a taxi costs 50p a mile you would probably just use a taxi. But potentially self driving cars could could less than 5p a mile to use. Then in big urban spaces like London Electric bikes and scooters become an option especially if there are no cars. Charging on the road through induction means never having to be unavailable. Solar and Nuclear are the suggested methods Generating the electric needed. Really interesting to see if this is what lies ahead.

Get yourself an SQ5.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Different cars for different people I guess. As someone who is 6'2/3" (and broad shoulders) I find getting in and out of SUVs much easier. Plus, I enjoy the elevated driving position. So I am following this development with interest.
    I agree I always bang my when getting into my wife a3.
    My company van is going with a change of job and SUVs are far more comfortable and easier to get in. Looking at a xc 60, would go for a v60 or Passat but I'd keep banging my head and can't see as the roof line is too low
    Last edited by Chabsy; 12th November 2018 at 20:23.

Master
    No you're not.
    When you come across a sports car that can tow, 3000kgs of horses and horse box across a muddy field.....give me a shout...

Blog Entries
    I'm with Mart on this (not often I say that) -

Ah bless i knew there was an underlying love

As far as I can tell, SUVs are taller versions of estate cars that are in no way better apart from allowing you to look down on plebs in their normal height cars. You might feel safer or have a better view but until data comes out to prove that they're safer I'm afraid it's all justification for giving up. When I lived in the middle of nowhere people mostly went Japanese - usually Subaru but Toyota and Mitsubishi too - if they had to tow horses, transport animals and so on.

I'll stick with my impractical Forester with its (currently not fitted) dog guard and roof bars. It hits 60 in about 5.5 seconds, is hilarious in the snow and can happily transport dogs, people and horseboxes without compromising the fun of driving.

Oh and I saw an SQ5 (or whatever it's called) farting its way past a bunch of people the other day. The driver thought we'd appreciate a couple of stamps on the throttle for us all to hear his ECU-controlled crackly exhaust but everyone thought he was a d1ck in a people carrier.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    +1...... I don’t understand the craze for SUV boxes on wheels. The 4 wheel drive ones might have an advantage in bad weather but the 2 wheel- drive watered down versions seem pointless to me. An estate car makes more sense.

I guess it’s all about fashion/image, and the psychology of being taller than the rest. Animals try to make themselves look taller/ bigger than their rivals........enough said!

If you live in a hilly rural location, or need to tow trailers across muddy fields, I see the point of a 4x4 , but that’s about all.

Low-slung coupes and sports cars with limited interior space don’t make sense either, but somehow they’re cooler and far more appealing.

I live in rural Norfolk and I’m a bit split on the SUV ‘thing’ - I’m by no means a ‘petrolhead’ (neither got the inclination or the budget) but narrow country lanes are somewhat problematic when I’m in our 225 bhp XC60, especially with other SUV’s coming in the opposite direction. Limited passing spaces make it a real pain. When I use my wife’s 99bhp fiesta Ecoboost it feels like a Caterham in comparison! Seems to corner on rails, the lack of power largely made up by sheer ‘chuckability’ and the fact you can use almost all the power on tap without any issues, and blast past SUV’s coming in the opposite direction down all but the narrowest lanes makes it my preferred drive. If a humble £15k fiesta makes a £40k SUV feel a bit silly, and isn’t anywhere near as much fun to drive I’m going to rethink my next car! - I got the Volvo for winter snow etc but I think I’ll be buying a hot hatch with winter tyres to replace it. For the record I’m 6’2’’ and 17 stone and don’t find driving or getting in and out of the fiesta any kind of problem. And the turning circle of 4x4’s is a bit rubbish for parking. Whisper it, but most (not all) are bought by poseurs imho, all that butch advertising, buy an SUV and you’ll start white water rafting and driving over beaches is a bit embarrassing isn’t it?!

I find it amusing when 4x4's and SUV stylee slow down to 5mph going over speed humps.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1...... I don’t understand the craze for SUV boxes on wheels. The 4 wheel drive ones might have an advantage in bad weather but the 2 wheel- drive watered down versions seem pointless to me. An estate car makes more sense.

I guess it’s all about fashion/image, and the psychology of being taller than the rest. Animals try to make themselves look taller/ bigger than their rivals........enough said!

If you live in a hilly rural location, or need to tow trailers across muddy fields, I see the point of a 4x4 , but that’s about all.

Low-slung coupes and sports cars with limited interior space don’t make sense either, but somehow they’re cooler and far more appealing.
    Life would be boring if everyone liked the same things.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I find it amusing when 4x4's and SUV stylee slow down to 5mph going over speed humps.
    That's so as not to spill the coffee....

As far as I can tell, SUVs are taller versions of estate cars that are in no way better apart from allowing you to look down on plebs in their normal height cars. You might feel safer or have a better view but until data comes out to prove that they're safer I'm afraid it's all justification for giving up. When I lived in the middle of nowhere people mostly went Japanese - usually Subaru but Toyota and Mitsubishi too - if they had to tow horses, transport animals and so on.

I'll stick with my impractical Forester with its (currently not fitted) dog guard and roof bars. It hits 60 in about 5.5 seconds, is hilarious in the snow and can happily transport dogs, people and horseboxes without compromising the fun of driving.

Oh and I saw an SQ5 (or whatever it's called) farting its way past a bunch of people the other day. The driver thought we'd appreciate a couple of stamps on the throttle for us all to hear his ECU-controlled crackly exhaust but everyone thought he was a d1ck in a people carrier.

The Forester is an SUV though? (and I say that as a former owner)

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    The Forester is an SUV though? (and I say that as a former owner)
    It's an Impreza with a big boot, kind of like an estate car.

Master
    Also it can only tow 1800kgs or 2000kgs on a couple of models...

Nowhere near enough for someone travelling 2 proper horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Chabsy View Post
    I agree I always bang my when getting into my wife a3.
    My company van is going with a change of job and SUVs are far more comfortable and easier to get in. Looking at a xc 60, would go for a v60 or Passat but I'd keep banging my head and can't see as the roof line is too low
    I'm only 5ft 7in and always bang my head when I get into my wife's XC60! Nice car though.

Regards,
    Martyn.

Mission creep, but a Subaru in the snow = I approve. They are simply brilliant.

(Well, the older ones are. The new ones are too slow for my liking.)

No you're not.
    O RLY....
    https://youtu.be/3nC0gGRKxLc

Blog Entries
    No you're not.
    But those difficult to reach parking spaces................

Higher and much more wobbly than an Imprezza though. Still good fun even in standard spec but definatley an SUV / cross over. That's why farmers love them.

Appreciate yours is lowered but then other SUVs could be lowered too.

Very nice example btw
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 13th November 2018 at 03:22.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    When you come across a sports car that can tow, 3000kgs of horses and horse box across a muddy field.....give me a shout...
    There is none, but sports car/fast car drivers feel a bit uncomfortable when next to mine.
    0-60 4.6
    168 mph
    3.500kg braked towing.

I get quite a few challenges at traffic lights, but why bother when you can obliterate them.

I bit like the the 3 Amigos who have personal vendettas.

Why bother.

Back on topic

I think Hydrogen is the way to go longer term but for now...

I'm very much thinking of getting an iPACE.

I hear a lot of very good and very bad re Tesla and I can live without the bad more than i think (think!) i need the superchargers.

Though the Topgear range test thing scared me a little in terms of real world range.

I've also been looking at the Kona electric...seems very cheap compared to others and with a good range on the bigger battery ones.

I'm not in the UK very much at all so having something with less to go wrong on it seems like a good plan to me at least.

Kona is my first choice as great bang for your buck and the range is better in real world that iPace.

The 42 week wait is the killer and I think Hyundai have shot themselves in the foot by not anticipating the demand.

In 12 to 18 months I expect the choices for EVs will be much better as will the ultra charging network.

Good decision on giving Tesla a miss.

There is none, but sports car/fast car drivers feel a bit uncomfortable when next to mine.
    0-60 4.6
    168 mph
    3.500kg braked towing.

I get quite a few challenges at traffic lights, but why bother when you can obliterate them.

Why bother.

No-one is trying to race you mate, they are trying to get away from looking at that ugly car!

Master
    You still make me laugh Kirk.

I only drive it at night, up and down the front at Lytham, it’s the Mexican vomit wave I leave in my wake when driving in daylight that can cause problems.

At the Next GTG I’ll take you for a spin.

Master
    0-60 4.6
    168 mph
    3.500kg braked towing.

Why bother.

5.7 V8 Hemi...gets up and goes when it needs to...... runs LPG

You still make me laugh Kirk.

I only drive it at night, up and down the front at Lytham, it’s the Mexican vomit wave I leave in my wake when driving in daylight that can cause problems.

At the Next GTG I’ll take you for a spin.

Good man, although I suggest you get the train to the next GTG 🍺🍺 (to be arranged very soon btw).

You can take me for a spin the next time I’m visiting the in-laws.

Back on topic...I walked past the Jaguar garage this morning and the iPace looks cracking in the flesh. Much smaller than I imagined.

So I had a test drive in an Ipace this am. Here's what I think vs the Model S

Very fast - similar to Tesla but corners like a sports car

Super high quality interior- way more upmarket than Tesla

I prefer the Tesla interface. The Jag was a bit cumbersome to use

Feck all visibility out the back. Tesla countered this by having a huge rear camera display

Tesla autopilot much better. MUCH better

Jag more engaging to drive

Tesla is more useful tech wise and how seamless it is

Superchargers.

I'm going to get the Tesla

Let's hope you get a good one then.

The Superchargers are really the best part.

0-60 4.6
    168 mph
    3.500kg braked towing.

Why bother.

What car would that be?

There a great video on the Alfa Romeo Stelvio quadrifoglio from car wow. Looks and sounds great and goes like stink.
    https://youtu.be/l5GrHhRl6Rg
    Last edited by awright101; 13th November 2018 at 18:25.

What car would that be?
    Any one of these if I recall (or maybe all 3) but it may have changed...