closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jaguar iPace - my experience

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    Most BEV owners exclusively charge at night on economy 7 when there is massive grid surplus so hardly an issue for the foreseeable.
    It's not just about the footprint attached to producing the electricity though, it's the batteries themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Road tax should be exponenential based on curb weight regardless of fuel.
    How would that policy help electric cars?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I’m pretty sure that the Model 3 has a shorter range than the Model S Wayne. Quite a few miles shorter in fact.
    I’ll be looking at the Model 3 in a few years time when it comes to replacing my current taxi. The fact that there are eight superchargers in a services just four miles from the town I work in has swayed my decision that electric is the way to go.
    The M3 will still be a 200 mile car in any configuration.

You might want to check Tesla’s ‘fair use’ policy on Supercharging even if you’re paying (I don’t believe the M3 will come with free Sc for life), especially if you’re planning on using it as a taxi.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I'm totally with Jacob, as I'm also an owner of a Tesla. If you'd have told me that 7 weeks ago, I'd have laughed at you, but I thought "why not" to taking an S out on a 24hr test drive, and I was so impressed, I had one on the drive 3 days later. I'm very much a "petrol head", not a hippy etc, and I'm most likely going to buy a third car with an engine as I do miss the pops and bangs of the Porsche I had, but the Tesla is actually more than enough if we don't get another car.

The original Teslas were poor quality, but the second generation car is completely different in terms of both technology and its mechanical underpinnings. Reliability is much better overall and I've covered 3k miles in around 6 weeks without issue; instead, I've found long journeys a breeze, as I'm sat in a very quiet car that pretty much drives me where I'm going, plus I have the car's own Spotify and Tunein radio playing me all the music I could ever want. There will always be stories of nightmare cars, but I've never seen anything different with any car I've owned. I had four MINIs, all were terrible but I enjoyed the cars so much, I put up with the faults, until eventually, enough was enough.

The Supercharger network is why I went for a Tesla, and didn't even bother test drying an i-pace. I did go and sit in one but thought it was a typical Jaguar; perfect for the older gent but surprisingly full of buttons, and I think what people perceive as quality, is sometimes just over-styled design. Ian Callum is not who should be in charge at Jaguar; he's only got the F-Type right in his time there, and now even that's looking worse with the constant addition of extra sills etc. My Model S has air suspension that can be raised, so I see the Jaguar as no better in an off-road scenario... which I did actually have to use the Tesla in recently as we stayed at a house in the middle of a farm.

Back to the Supercharger, I get it free for the life of the car, and I simply add 20 mins to any estimated journey time, as that's all I've needed on long runs to gain around 100 miles or so extra... good luck doing that in an I-Pace currently, where that'll more likely take hours on your average charger.

I'm not naive. There's a chance that when the Model 3 is released, there'll be queues at charger stations. However, the Model 3 has a longer range and therefore people are more likely to destination charge. Also, of course it's known that Lithium mining etc is harmful to the environment, however if anyone will make batteries less harmful, it'll be Tesla; they're already developing new battery technology. A lot of the comparisons you see vs. fossil fuels don't include the well at the beginning of the fossil fuel process; A 70KW battery car will take only around a year or so to catch up with a fossil car in terms of emissions, although I admit to knowing little about how these batteries are recycled or disposed of, but Tesla batteries are found to only degrade by around 10% after 8 years and hundreds of thousands of miles on the oldest cars.

The fact is, most of the people I know that hate SUVs have never driven one, and most of the people I know who hate EVs haven't driven one either; if they have, it's some crappy Leaf which are known to have severe battery degradation and be a really short term car that'll cost you a fortune once you have issues like that.

Don't knock it until you try it as they say; whoever "they" are.
    I know you’re fairly new to this EV game, and you’ve started with a very good EV in the MS.

But, I think it’s a bit unfair to say the Leaf is ‘crappy’, the original was a ground breaking car in its own right and created the market for EVs in many respects.

The MkII is an improvement, and despite lacking active thermal management on the battery is still a good car that ordinary folk can afford. I’m not being funny, but any currently available Tesla is not a cheap vehicle and out of reach for the majority of the motoring public.

There’s nothing special about a Tesla battery either, it’s the same chemistry as everybody else’s, and don’t believe the hype around degradation. It’s physics, Jim, and it happens to all batteries in the end.

Enjoy your car, which S did you get?

A work colleague has a P100D, it’s still laugh out loud quick when we pop out at lunch to get a sandwich.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    How would that policy help electric cars?
    I would not nor does it need to. It would improve road safety and reduce energy use.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I know you’re fairly new to this EV game, and you’ve started with a very good EV in the MS.

But, I think it’s a bit unfair to say the Leaf is ‘crappy’, the original was a ground breaking car in its own right and created the market for EVs in many respects.

The MkII is an improvement, and despite lacking active thermal management on the battery is still a good car that ordinary folk can afford. I’m not being funny, but any currently available Tesla is not a cheap vehicle and out of reach for the majority of the motoring public.

There’s nothing special about a Tesla battery either, it’s the same chemistry as everybody else’s, and don’t believe the hype around degradation. It’s physics, Jim, and it happens to all batteries in the end.

Enjoy your car, which S did you get?

A work colleague has a P100D, it’s still laugh out loud quick when we pop out at lunch to get a sandwich.
    The battery tech in Tesla batteries is a different make-up to most others, and Leaf owners are currently experiencing issues on cars just a few years old. The batteries are degrading very quickly compared to other brands, and they’ve increased the price on replacement batteries recently. It’s documented quite a lot in the EV news of late.

I bought a 75D. I really do love the car as a car... handles surprisingly well due to the weight being so low etc, and it’s very quiet and comfy... not the best turning circle for car parks though :-D

Master
    The M3 will still be a 200 mile car in any configuration.

You might want to check Tesla’s ‘fair use’ policy on Supercharging even if you’re paying (I don’t believe the M3 will come with free Sc for life), especially if you’re planning on using it as a taxi.
    Yes I think the quoted mileage is about 225. The Model 3 wont get free use of the Supercharging system, it’s currently 20p per KWH.
    My thought process is, charge up at home overnight, leave for work on a full charge, but pop to a supercharger for a quick top up if necessary, then charge up again overnight when I get home.
    Most days wouldn’t require a visit to a supercharger because I wouldn’t be doing enough mileage.
    Probably 80% of my work is stop/start town driving, that’s where an electric vehicle is at its most efficient.

Master
    Been reading this and watching the whole electric car thing evolve over the last few years. I love cars, always have always will and spend far too much time looking at, driving, swapping and buying cars. For me (and this is just me I am talking about here) cars have always been more than the sum of a cars parts, I love the way some cars look, love how some sound, how they drive/handle, how they make me feel etc etc etc. There are so many things that I take away from cars that despite Tesla’s etc being the ‘right’ decision I just can’t get on board. I will be driving silly cars, with silly engines that cost WAY too much in every way until they pry them out of my cold dead hands (so to speak!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    The battery tech in Tesla batteries is a different make-up to most others, and Leaf owners are currently experiencing issues on cars just a few years old. The batteries are degrading very quickly compared to other brands, and they’ve increased the price on replacement batteries recently. It’s documented quite a lot in the EV news of late.

I bought a 75D. I really do love the car as a car... handles surprisingly well due to the weight being so low etc, and it’s very quiet and comfy... not the best turning circle for car parks though :-D
    Nissan are pretty much alone in not actively cooling their traction battery backs in the Leaf, that’s why they seem to suffer more degradation compared to car manufacturers that do.

Tesla use Li-Ion batteries, basically the same as everybody else, Panasonic are the battery partner and hand batteries ‘through the wall’ at the Gigafactory. They do have very good thermal management though, and are no doubt high quality cells.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Main four sources of lithium are Australia, Chile, Argentina and China. DRC is well down the list (if on it).
    Lithium supply is unlikely to be an issue for the foreseeable future but nickel could be a much larger problem.
    Sorry, my post could have been clearer.....It’s the cobalt component which comes from the DRC.

I handed my Tesla 100D back today for a refund and I dropped lucky and managed to buy the iPace First Edition today as well, I will take delivery next week.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Probably 80% of my work is stop/start town driving, that’s where an electric vehicle is at its most efficient.
    Whilst stop/start driving in an EV is far more efficient than an ICE, my experience over the past three years is that it’s less efficient than longer journeys. I always have a better range on longer routes than I do on shorter journeys.

I’ve also not suffered significant battery degradation even though it’s the same battery as in the Leaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Whilst stop/start driving in an EV is far more efficient than an ICE, my experience over the past three years is that it’s less efficient than longer journeys. I always have a better range on longer routes than I do on shorter journeys...
    +1 agreed, my finding with the Tesla match the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    I handed my Tesla 100D back today for a refund and I dropped lucky and managed to buy the iPace First Edition today as well, I will take delivery next week.

Can’t you tell us about the problems you had ?

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Can’t you tell us about the problems you had ?
    Yes I could, that will be for another thread once the payments from them have been made.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Whilst stop/start driving in an EV is far more efficient than an ICE, my experience over the past three years is that it’s less efficient than longer journeys. I always have a better range on longer routes than I do on shorter journeys.

I’ve also not suffered significant battery degradation even though it’s the same battery as in the Leaf.
    Yes, I didn’t explain myself clearly. What I should have wrote is more efficient for my line of work due to being parked up for periods between jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    No you're not.
    SUV's are for those given up on driving proper.
    Throwing in to the thread we have 5 classics in the garage from Mini to Bentley.... so not given up driving...
    I have just got a very cheap cosmetically a dog Civic diesel 06 spaceship model as a runaround.

But our EV choice as we have a guide dog puppy and a guide dog at home is a Toyota RAV4 2.5 petrol hybrid.
    We could have done estate car except for fact we are in Devon & twice a day has to go down a farm track that grounds out ordinary hatches etc.

Not many charging points down here but not needed , beauty for the RAV is the KERS style charging for the batteries. With plenty of hills here plenty of chances to do so. I can go to the stables 10 mins away almost on all electric power.

Switch over is seamless & it's a lovely drive with all the toys we need and more practical & priced a lot less than ipace or Tesla so affordable .... mpg is very good.

It's a great stopgap between full electrical vehicles.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    Throwing in to the thread we have 5 classics in the garage from Mini to Bentley.... so not given up driving...
    I have just got a very cheap cosmetically a dog Civic diesel 06 spaceship model as a runaround.

But our EV choice as we have a guide dog puppy and a guide dog at home is a Toyota RAV4 2.5 petrol hybrid.
    We could have done estate car except for fact we are in Devon & twice a day has to go down a farm track that grounds out ordinary hatches etc.

Not many charging points down here but not needed , beauty for the RAV is the KERS style charging for the batteries. With plenty of hills here plenty of chances to do so. I can go to the stables 10 mins away almost on all electric power.

Switch over is seamless & it's a lovely drive with all the toys we need and more practical & priced a lot less than ipace or Tesla so affordable .... mpg is very good.

It's a great stopgap between full electrical vehicles.
    What mpg are you achieving?

I’m not a fan of Toyota’s ‘no need to plug in’ marketing drive, they seem to be trying to push the idea that a ‘mild hybrid’ design is equal to a plug in, seemingly ignoring the reality that you’re using petrol to generate electricity. I know that there’s the regen factor, but plug ins and EVs use that as well.

I don’t know whether you looked at the Mistsubishi Outlander PHEV? It would probably do your 10 minute drive to the stables, and back again, without ever running the engine. If you’ve got even a spare 3 pin plug back home, you’d be sorted.

I’m not a fan of Toyota’s ‘no need to plug in’ marketing drive, they seem to be trying to push the idea that a ‘mild hybrid’ design is equal to a plug in, seemingly ignoring the reality that you’re using petrol to generate electricity. I know that there’s the regen factor, but plug ins and EVs use that as well.

I don’t know whether you looked at the Mistsubishi Outlander PHEV? It would probably do your 10 minute drive to the stables, and back again, without ever running the engine. If you’ve got even a spare 3 pin plug back home, you’d be sorted.
    About 50 or thereabouts haven't monitored too closely.

Stable run is ok not so sure about bigger runs being very rural but seen plenty around.
    We did actually look and went to Mitsubishi for outlander & really liked it.

However, this is run on Motability & for a car only keeping for 3 years then giving up the down payment was a lot more than the RAV which suited us and was much smaller deposit. Also looked at Tiguan diesel but bigger deposit & less toys and lower load height mean it was the RAV that won out.

Will look again in 3 years & see what's out there & tech will have moved on again....

i'm getting way over 50mpg in the auris hybrid - motorway driving and up to 65mpg on short journeys -sometimes more depending on regen and downhil sections

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    i'm getting way over 50mpg in the auris hybrid - motorway driving and up to 65mpg on short journeys -sometimes more depending on regen and downhil sections
    Which is pretty good, don’t get me wrong, but you’d be getting a lot more if you could stick a quids worth of electricity in it every night.

Electricity in a hybrid is a ‘fuel multiplier’, so the more of it the better.