closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Day in London, having some me time! (Just watch browsing)

Day in London, having some me time! (Just watch browsing)

As now a new parent to a 6m old, time up in the city browsing Big Smokes finest watch departments, is generally a no no.

However GF & baby were having a girl day at friends, I was the chauffeur and had to pop to the Panerai Boutique regarding a strap change. Was told stay out and enjoy the shops for a bit. I duly obliged.

Saturday's weather was a wash out, but I'll come to this later. Also apologise for the poor pics only used the iPhone and AD lights give out lots of glare.

As mentioned had to pop to the Panerai boutique regarding a strap issue I had, I was finding the OEM assolumente was leaving debris on me, so they wanted to view the strap. Only the 2nd time I've been to the London Boutique, (1st time was to purchase the strap back in February). Staff were great, and it busy, although weirdly the staff do follow you in the store, unlike other Boutiques I've visited. But the did exchange the strap, which I wasn't expecting so now (fingers crossed) I don't get any issues with this one, as it is my favourite OEM strap.

Also this looked lovely

Next up I wanted to pop into the Omega store, and look at the new 300m, older 300m and Moonwatch as 2 of these are on my wish list. Decided too view both 300m in black and the hesalite Moonwatch. The sales assistant was great, new her stuff and even went into finer detail (with the help of a prop) regarding the Co Axial escapement. The new 300m has a great weight and size to it, plus the etched waves aren't that prominent in the flesh (hideous in pictures) but the new HE valve is still very prominent. I do also like the bigger lume plots, but not keen on the white markings on the bezel. The improved clasp was needed but my god its large!
    The older 300m is a model I've always admired, always felt a good VFM Rolex Sub competitor. The gloss dial always looks deep and love the applied Omega and indices. Just felt slightly small and thin compared to the new version (although wearing the Pam all watches tend to be like this!) I do prefer the Seamaster case back.
    Moonwatch is an icon, and not much needed to be said about this, fits great, looks great, love love love the way the hesalite distorts near the bezel. The only concern is the nature of the watch - being a chrono - never something I'd use, I prefer a central seconds hand and the dial is slightly cluttered, but I do prefer the 9-6-3 configuration.

Forgot to ask about the new Seamster magazine, and still having no luck in picking one up.

Next up was The Wonder Room @ Selfridges, been a year or so since I've been here, seems to have changed, now all Bucherer, plus U Boat removed (shame always had a soft spot for them).

Enquired online about viewing the Bucherer, special edition blue Tag F1, they managed to get one in for me to view (as usually online only). Must say the nicest F1 I've seen, and the blue was lovely. Not badly priced at £1,600 but it did feel lessor quality than the 300m Seamster (£1,000 more) or the Tudor BB58 (again £1,000 more) which blows it way. If available for £1,000 I'd probably purchase one as a special edition. Nice blue rubber strap as an extra also.

A quick look around the Wonder Room, lots of security eying someone purchasing an AP, Hublot was busy (a PR dream?!), Rolex has lots of ladies models, no OP 39 in black or white which I wanted look at.

Did pop in to the Bvlgari room to look at the Octo as never seen one in the flesh. Sales assistant great, spotted my Pam on and was mentioning all things Italy. Octo was lovely on the bracelet, very AP RO, PP and Genta esq, in house movement, slightly different sports watch, that I could own, although would need a deal on the expensive £6,100 RRP.

Another Selfridges staff member was in their taking pictures of the thin titanium tourbillon in blue, crazy watch it felt lighter than my hair band (no comments please).

Also managed to look at the Mont Blanc pens, and the rollerball meisterstuck was lovely (yet my brain cannot fathom that much £ for a pen!)

Next visited was WoS on Oxford Street, wanted to check out the Nomos Club & those ghastly long lugs, plus online it showed a white face Glashutte Original Panomaticlunar, sadly only the blue dialled one in the shop. The Glashutte was fantastic & easily an Lange which is obtainable. The Noms they had felt cheap/ swatch feeling, maybe because it was a nato strap, but the lugs weren't as bad as the pictures make it out to be. Only pictures of the Glashutte I'm afraid.

Lastly a quick visit to the Tag flagship store on Oxford street to view the Monaco, I know I'm not that keen on chromo's, but I do prefer the bi dial layout, and sacrilegious to say preferred it to the Speedy! Great fit especially for a square cased watch, retro vibes, even with a poor celebrity connection.

Must add as I visited every shop like a drowned rat, as the heavens opened & I forgot my umbrella, they lovely lady at Tag asked if I'd like one, and gave my a Tag Heuer umbrella, lovely thing which helped!

Thanks for reading Brad

Enjoyed reading your post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    That Glashütte has caught my eye lately. Sucker for blue.

Seems like they wear a little big?

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    That Glashütte has caught my eye lately. Sucker for blue.

Seems like they wear a little big?
    Might just be the close up of the picture, I felt it wore smaller than the 40mm advertised, it did have some height on it though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Might just be the close up of the picture, I felt it wore smaller than the 40mm advertised, it did have some height on it though.
    Thanks. Advertised thickness would suggest it to have some heft! Will be in london in January so hope to get one on my wrist to see if it’s something I (need) want to pursue.

Great report thanks for posting it.
    The R/G Pam looks stunning.
    I took the opportunity to also try on an Octo in Terminal 3 last week. In some ways, I was pleased that it left me underwhelmed.

I enjoyed your post of your visit and experience of different watch shops. I can’t believe the new seamaster is now £3,600 (tripled in price over the past 10 years )

I keep promising myself a day up in town to do this.

Thanks for posting an enjoyable read. It s helped scratch the itch until I actually find time to get up there myself

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Thanks. Advertised thickness would suggest it to have some heft! Will be in london in January so hope to get one on my wrist to see if it’s something I (need) want to pursue.
    It didn't feel too light not too heavy, as Goldilocks says just right. Currently trying to persuade my boss to buy one instead of lusting after a Lange.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Great report thanks for posting it.
    The R/G Pam looks stunning.
    I took the opportunity to also try on an Octo in Terminal 3 last week. In some ways, I was pleased that it left me underwhelmed.
    R/G watches seem more appealing lately, totally bonkers for a Pam, but does look fantastic IMHO. The Octo I like and would pick one up for the right price and if I had the extra cash. I like most things Italian.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    I enjoyed your post of your visit and experience of different watch shops. I can’t believe the new seamaster is now £3,600 (tripled in price over the past 10 years )
    Thank you, I'm always nervous and conscious I'm not buying and don't want to waste sales assistants time, if the shop is busy or them rude I don't bother.

Crazy increase, but still great VFM for something not far of Rolex quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Onespeed View Post
    I keep promising myself a day up in town to do this.

Thanks for posting an enjoyable read. It s helped scratch the itch until I actually find time to get up there myself
    Thanks again, as mentioned above, I always take into account how busy the ADs are and if they are looking to be helpful. Plenty more I'd still like to view, but with a 6m old it's justifying the time.

The pam511 is a stunning watch in the flesh with its tobacco dial, and handy 8 day movement
    Yet it's also an utterly ridiculous oversized chunk of gold.

I regret selling mine, but it funded a less obscene piece, even though there's days i still miss it.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for taking the time to report. I always enjoy posts like this. What is that about a hair band??

Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to report. I always enjoy posts like this. What is that about a hair band??

Martyn.
    Haha midlife top knot haircut crises I think. But that octo was crazily light.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Haha midlife top knot haircut crises I think. But that octo was crazily light.

Goes to show why I own a Panerai!!!!

Apologies to reply to my own thread. But I'm disappointed the Speedy Pro just didn't sing to me as much as the Monaco, loved the size, the weight, the hesalite, also iconic status, but felt the dial too busy. Maybe one of those watches that look better in pictures and on other people. Who knows my taste my change.

Bizarrely I'm contemplating the Bucherer F1 Tag more and more, seems a great price for a more everyday entry level swiss watch. But the BB58 is calling me more.