closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Beaty McBeaterface - The Beaters Beater

Beaty McBeaterface - The Beaters Beater

Hi all. Picked up this a few days back, and wanted to do a little write up. Anyone that has no interest in quartz or affordable’s should probably stop reading at this point by the way! The watch in question is the Casio MDV106, or Casio Duro.

I was vaguely aware of this watch. Then it popped up on my Amazon for £59, so I watched a few YouTube reviews and thought ‘yeah, give it a go’. And I have to say I’ve been mightily impressed.

The watch is 44mm in stainless steel case size, although it doesn’t look or feel quite that big on my 6.75” wrist. 48mm lug-lug, 22mm lug width and about 13mm thick. It has a flat mineral crystal, slightly sunburst black dial with raised, lumed white indices and a framed date window. Nice red second hand. Screw down crown, screw in case back. It claims to be water resistant to 200m, and carries the Casio Marlin logo to identify this. The bezel is uni directional, 120 click. The action is nice & solid, although there’s a little play in it.

Movement wise things aren’t 100% clear. Research suggests some sort of Miyota Quartz.

So that’s the watch summed up. Firstly the things I don’t like. The strap isn’t great, although in fairness no worse than the stock Seiko rubber; it’s probably the kind Casio use on bottom of the range G-Shocks. I’ve ordered a new rubber for it. The lume is fairly weak. Not bad at first, but really doesn’t have much staying power. And the date window is probably a touch too small among the other dimensions of the watch.

Things I like? Well the finish looks much higher quality than the price suggests - a combo of brushed/polished SS and an attractive sunburst dial. The 48mm lug-lug and nicely curved case make it a good fitting watch. I like that Casio have fitted so many little details on it at this price; a decent quality bezel and screw down crown, the red seconds and the design of the arrow hour hand, the laser etched Marlin on the case back. I’d also add that the QC is very good - the second hand lines up perfectly with the second markers as it ticks it’s way round. The design is simple, uncomplicated, and the watch is phenomenal value for money. At under 60 quid you can beat it like a dog without having to worry, have a bit of fun with it on different straps, and it it looks nice on the wrist in the process.

I’d actually liken this as a quartz version of the Orient Ray. You can’t go wrong in my opinion. Here’s some pics to finish off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by davidj54; 11th November 2018 at 21:03.

Master
    “.... you can beat it like a dog...” That’s an unpleasant turn of phrase.

Master
    Nice to hear about a so called low end watch, which actually is very good value, and doesn't look bad either.

Another pic I took earlier I forgot to include.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've bought these for a couple of mates who've told me they want a really nice watch and they're prepared to spend as much as £50.
    They're both really pleased with them.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I'm sure no dogs were harmed in the use of this old and well-worn phrase.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Yeah. But he's killing two birds with one stone by getting a good looking watch and getting it cheap.

Master
    £51.99 here, including UK postage...

https://www.greatwatches.co.uk/produ...atch-brand-new

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    He should be ashamed of himself !

Master
    The only drawback for me is the mineral crystal. I seem to trash them really quickly. Does anyone know if there is a sapphire version or what the cheapest sapphire diver is that Casio make? Otherwise, what would it cost to stick a sapphire in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    The only drawback for me is the mineral crystal. I seem to trash them really quickly. Does anyone know if there is a sapphire version or what the cheapest sapphire diver is that Casio make? Otherwise, what would it cost to stick a sapphire in it?
    There isn’t a sapphire version; there’s an article here about modding the Duro including what size crystal is needed.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/ne...628307?page=27

Quote Originally Posted by paul staines View Post
    He should be ashamed of himself !
    Guess he doesn't like to flash the cash in public and rub peoples face in his extreme wealth, bet when he gets home the purple smoking jacket comes out and the diamond encrusted AP replaces the Casio!

Do not denigrate the Gates! He is the all-father, if it wasn't for him most of us wouldn't be here...

Love the watch, OP!
    I was given a Casio 'Submariner' - the MTD-1010 - by a friend, great beater.