closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My Citizen Ray Mears needs a new capacitor - who can do it?

Craftsman

My Citizen Ray Mears needs a new capacitor - who can do it?

Hello TZers,

I have run a search on here but didn't get any hits so I thought I would ask the question. I am in need of someone to replace the capacitor on my Ray Mears. I have just emailed Duncan and have made an enquiry with the person who does them on ebay.

I just wondered whether anyone else does them or has any feedback they could provide on the ebay person?

This is the watch:

Apprentice
    Citizen have a repair/service center.
    No personal experience but it's worth equiring.

https://www.citizenwatch.co.uk/service

I've changed a few on Seikos, it's well within my low skill set as long as you have the correct tools and don't just try and use whatever you can find in the garage. There are a some relevant videos online such as this:

https://youtu.be/tDacFS5Zi9g

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks for the suggestions above. I have to say I don't fancy tackling this job myself due to the front loading case and I have read that Citizen don't repair these since they are long discontinued.

It's a monocoque case. A bit more complicated than taking the back off.
    Whoever does it will need a gasket that goes between the bezel and the case. It's made of plastic, not rubber and difficult to obtain.
    I've done a couple of monocoque cases before but I'm not skilled enough to offer my services to the op.
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    I've changed a few on Seikos, it's well within my low skill set as long as you have the correct tools and don't just try and use whatever you can find in the garage. There are a some relevant videos online such as this:

https://youtu.be/tDacFS5Zi9g

I am happy to stand corrected on this, the Seikos I have done have all been regular entry from the rear. Who was that sniggering from the back of class?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    It's a monocoque case. A bit more complicated than taking the back off.
    Whoever does it will need a gasket that goes between the bezel and the case. It's made of plastic, not rubber and difficult to obtain.
    I've done a couple of monocoque cases before but I'm not skilled enough to offer my services to the op.
    Just out of curiosity, how did you remove the bezel, it obviously screws on there somehow and needs a special tool?

Also out of curiosity... How old was the watch when this total and catastrophic failure of the "never needs batteries" eco-drive technology happened?

Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how did you remove the bezel, it obviously screws on there somehow and needs a special tool?
    It's a friction fit. Plastic gasket, just like a crystal gasket. I used a filed down credit card to prise open the bezel from the case. That bit is easy. Pushing it back is a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Also out of curiosity... How old was the watch when this total and catastrophic failure of the "never needs batteries" eco-drive technology happened?
    No, the watch was at least 15 years old and working perfectly. I had it opened up to mod it with a sapphire crystal, and once you have it open, you might as well change the battery. Should be good for about 20 years.

Makes me think about trying to mod this pvd version with a clean dial...

Master
    Thanks for the useful thread. Looks like I will be investing in some some basic watch tools.

Sent from my SGP311 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    It's a friction fit. Plastic gasket, just like a crystal gasket. I used a filed down credit card to prise open the bezel from the case. That bit is easy. Pushing it back is a nightmare.
    Ah, ok, thanks for that info. That explains the little pry mark on the bezel on this one then. I will wait and see if Duncan (the watch bloke) can do it. If not it looks like it will be off to the ebay outfit and pray it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Makes me think about trying to mod this pvd version with a clean dial...
    Hmm, very difficult I think. You'd have to source a clean dial, and I'm not sure these are even available? Then there's the fact that the dial is part of the charging system so it's got to be more complicated that swapping a normal dial.
    A quick google images search for the case number for the clean dial BN0118-04E provides S115060. There's nothing in Cousin's listed for this reference, so at the moment I couldn't think of a way to source a dial other than cannibalising another watch.

Craftsman
    My Dad has his original version sorted by the eBay chap (the one in Coventry, ebozico1) and it's been fine ever since.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaEchoAlpha View Post
    My Dad has his original version sorted by the eBay chap (the one in Coventry, ebozico1) and it's been fine ever since.
    Thanks for the feedback AFA, that makes me feel much better about sending it off.

Keep us updated on the progress of this please. Although I'm tempted to tackle the job myself on my own Ray Mears at some point (I have a spare gasket or two, just in case), part of me thinks that I wouldn't want to risk damaging it if this guy has better tools than my amateur kit.
    Thanks for the feedback AFA, that makes me feel much better about sending it off.

Craftsman
    Will do. I only sent it off yesterday so don't expect it back until late next week.

I have my fingers crossed that it ends well!

Craftsman
    No problem - About the one thread I was qualified to weigh in on! Just spoken to Dad about it, "one week turnaround, excellent service would highly recommend".

Craftsman
    Happy to report that my Ray Mears is back already and working fine so far. I am going to leave it on the window sill for a few days and then pop it somewhere dark for a week and see if it come out ticking.

Can't fault it so far.