closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Too Bold, or just Niaive?

Master
    Blog Entries

Too Bold, or just Niaive?

So I'm at that unfortunate age when I realise I need to plan my affairs ready for the inevitable, whenever that may be. I had started to put money aside each month to cover the costs of two simple funerals. However, whilst shopping on Friday I tried on a Rolex DJ which fitted me perfectly- 36mm, jubilee bracelet, blue dial, white gold flan case bezel £6150! Very nearly pulled the trigger but my head won. 48 hours later and I'm thinking I can buy the watch on the basis that if I survive another 10-20 years my daughter's will be able to sell the watch for the price I paid (so one funeral sorted?).
    Now, have I completely lost the plot? But more importantly will I get this past the Sergeant Major?

The 116234 is a beautiful watch but it's not really an investment imo. Some of the professional steel sports models have done well historically (GMT, Submariner, Daytona) but there is no guarantee that will continue or indeed that any watch will be worth anything in the future. It's a nice idea but I think your reasoning is fabulously flawed.

Enjoy living I say.

Craftsman
    As long as you don’t think of your own mortality every time you check your wrist, sure, sounds a good plan.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Enjoy living I say.
    This.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies - even with a 30-40% drop in residuals I'm still thinking it can work. It's probably the nearest I'll get to an adrenaline rush at my age?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Enjoy living I say.
    This. They can bury you in the garden for nothing

I went to the cemetery yesterday to lay some flowers on a grave.
    As I was standing there, I noticed four grave diggers walking about with a coffin.
    Three hours later and they’re still walking about with it.
    I thought to myself, “They’ve lost the plot.”
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I say live the moment, as long as your other living priorities are set straight I don’t see why not. Some people will say otherwise, but everyone spends differently I guess. My mates eat out on a daily basis yet are surprised at the amount we spend on watches ( I rarely take a meal out ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    This. They can bury you in the garden for nothing
    Haha, brutal but true.
    Or have your body donated for medical research. No costs and your family get a fee. No brainer. Well it will be in a jar but you know what I mean

You're a long time dead.

Craftsman
    Do what makes you happy now, life is short.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    True. And maybe ensuring that you do right by those after will bring more happiness than a time piece?

But maybe you can do both...... buy the trinket and take out insurance on a monthly basis to cover the cost of the inevitable?!

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Thanks for the replies - even with a 30-40% drop in residuals I'm still thinking it can work. It's probably the nearest I'll get to an adrenaline rush at my age?
    Take a holiday out of the EU, and buy it at the airport. At the very least the holiday would possibly be free from the saving, and you would have the watch to enjoy too.

Just go for it. It's a fabulous watch, and will most likely be worth more in 15-20 years time anyway.

Craftsman
    When were you expecting to die?

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    You're a long time dead.

You want it.
    You can afford it.
    Buy it.

Blog Entries
    Some on here know it but i am a retired Funeral Director and my will states that my Funeral will be a no service,no mourners Cremation ashes dispersed and as cheap as possible as another part of my life says
    “live respected and die regretted” fancy Funerals are a total waste IMO.Can still put together my “ package” for under 2K with change for a sherbert
    Why are you saving money for a Funeral? just by some life insurance it’s as cheap as chips
    Last edited by mart broad; 12th November 2018 at 16:50.

Master
    Blog Entries
    When were you expecting to die?
    20+years if I'm lucky - light bulb moment! do they do mortgages for watches?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Some on here know it but i am a retired Funeral Director and my will states that my Funeral will be a no service,no mourners Cremation ashes dispersed and as cheap as possible as another part of my life says
    “live respected and die regretted” fancy Funerals are a total waste IMO.Can still put together my “ package” for under 2K with change for a sherbert
    Why are you saving money for a Funeral? just by some life insurance it’s as cheap as chips
    Life insurance will cost me double if I live long enough- absolutely cheap and cheerful funeral for me but without the cremation (feed the worms, or even the fish if I'm on a cruise when it happens)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Take a holiday out of the EU, and buy it at the airport. At the very least the holiday would possibly be free from the saving, and you would have the watch to enjoy too.

Just go for it. It's a fabulous watch, and will most likely be worth more in 15-20 years time anyway.
    Excellent idea
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    You want it.
    You can afford it.
    Buy it.
    I do I do, I can, I'm tempted
    Hmm, started my first part time job at 15 and Almost 47 years later I really am thinking I deserve to treat myself 😎

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Suds;4937808]

Hmm, started my first part time job at 15 and Almost 47 years later I really am thinking I deserve to treat myself

Treat yourself, you’re along time dead.
    EnJoY it in the here and now.
    Cos you can’t take it with you.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Suds, treat yourself.

Buy some-thing that makes you smile. The family can sell it and see you off with the proceeds. If it is special to them when you go because they knew you enjoyed it and they choose to keep it then even better.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Damn! You guys are too supportive - I was half expecting to be told to be more responsible 🤔 And it's my birthday next month, then Xmas of course...😁

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was sat on a bench atop Kelston Round Hill recently (https://visitbath.co.uk/listings/sin...oundhill-walk/) when I noticed a wooden box sat on the ground behind the seat. There was an engraved plate on the top with a name & dates. The lid was loose so I lifted it off & it was clearly full of degraded ashes. There were some insects living amongst it. I don't think the deceased minded.

Master
    My mum passed away 3 weeks ago and I can tell you I'd much rather have something tangible to remember her by than some money.
    Yes it may smooth things over in those first few hard weeks but long term the loved object with memories attached would be worth far more to me.
    Money for a funeral is always easy to come by, either through a loan, credit card, family, or public funds.

My advice: buy the watch (or whatever else) not with an eye to it being an investment for funeral expenses but as an heirloom that will bring a smile to your kids faces in years to come. Buy it and go make some memories with them and it.

A close friend and my brother never lived to be 30. My best friend didn't make 45. Just buy and enjoy the watch. Life too short.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    My mum passed away 3 weeks ago and I can tell you I'd much rather have something tangible to remember her by than some money.
    Yes it may smooth things over in those first few hard weeks but long term the loved object with memories attached would be worth far more to me.
    Money for a funeral is always easy to come by, either through a loan, credit card, family, or public funds.

My advice: buy the watch (or whatever else) not with an eye to it being an investment for funeral expenses but as an heirloom that will bring a smile to your kids faces in years to come. Buy it and go make some memories with them and it.
    Most sincerely Sorry for your loss Julian2002.
    I lost my mom when I was 15. I do have some of her possessions. (No watch)

Great Advice

Why is this even in question?

Buy the watch.

Craftsman
    Buy the watch and enjoy, life really is too short!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm also under pressure to buy because the clasp on the jubilee bracelet (the Rolex crown) is being changed next April to the Oyster clasp ( which doesn't suit the jubilee imo)

Journeyman
    Buy it and enjoy it if you can afford it, I had a close shave last year, you never know when your time is up

Grand Master
    I think you have to strike a balance between being responsible (not too frivolous) and enjoying your money/possessions whilst you’re around to do so. I turned 60 earlier this year, it’s a milestone and I’m conscious that I’m not young any more.

My advice is to go for it if you really like the watch, personally I prefer the 116200 smooth bezel/ Oyster bracelet variant but I do own an old-style 16234. In 2008 I seriously considered buying a 16234 when they were around £3K, I even considered a brief trip to Jersey to get one sgnificantly cheaper!

Regardless of the rock-solid residuals argument, I’ve got zero interest in Rolex sports models and I would never be swayed to buy one, my advice is to buy what you really like and accept that it’ll ‘lose’ a few £££ in the short term.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Buy it and enjoy it if you can afford it, I had a close shave last year, you never know when your time is up
    I had a brief glimse of the grim reaper in 2014......it certainly focuses the mind! Lost a close friend earlier this year too, it goes with the territory with advancing years.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I had a brief glimse of the grim reaper in 2014......it certainly focuses the mind! Lost a close friend earlier this year too, it goes with the territory with advancing years.
    yes it does, I went in for routine surgery and had a reaction to anaesthetic and stopped breathing, needed a life saving tracheostomy.

Suds, are you 62?

If so, you're relatively young.

Get out there and live.

My dad passed on 14 years ago exactly from today. I was 17. He did have a TT Rolex datejust that he sold after awhile when the business was going tough. Rolexes will always have value and with the constant price rises, even less "desirable" Rolexes has good residuals.

And definitely buy from airport when you fly out if EU! 17% savings.

Enjoy your watches while you live!

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    Off to sign our new wills today both me and the wife have arranged

Direct funerals

Cash is for the living.

Wills or as i like to call them a convenient list for IT and the HMRC.

Strangely I have absolutely sod all to leave anyone.

Insider knowledge doesn't get any better, good post.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    My son, who has little interest in watches, said “How much!!!” When he found out what my Speedmaster ‘57 that I got for my 60th birthday cost. I told him it would come to him when I died. “Well, that’s your funeral fees paid for then" he said. I think/hope that he was joking!

Ive always thought funerals arn't really for the deceased, its the surviving family and friends that think they need a service.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Have you bought it yet?!

Youre a long time dead....life is .sooooooooooo short. you cant wear anything when youre dead...so get it bought, wear it , enjoy it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Many thanks for all the replies - my awareness of the grim reaper hit home when I was 28. Collapsed with a perforated ulcer- discharged from hospital 2 weeks and 13 pints of blood later, so I do appreciate the live life aspect. The Sergeant Major will be much more amenable when I have paid for all the upgrades she wants to our downsized shoebox ( bungalow) so by early next year (5 months and counting) I can look at pulling the trigger...Bromance is alive and well, thank you all bros. Meantime the day I almost bought the Rolex I also picked up a Seiko New Dawn Turtle, so I'm wearing that on the grey silicon strap- the SAs in JLC in Harrods are big Seiko fans so they had a little drool
    Last edited by Suds; 15th November 2018 at 11:48.

interesting thought!
    my 2 cents worth would be buy the watch and when you finally make your exit, request a cardboard/hemp/raffia box and ashes to the wind.