closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Are warranty cards required for repair?

Master

Are warranty cards required for repair?

Yesterday I took my Black Bay GMT to the AD to send it off to get the date issue fixed. After waiting in the shop a few minutes, one of the sales assistants came over and I told him why I was there.

His immediate comment was “have you got the warranty card”.

I said yes, but not with me.

“We can’t do anything without the warranty card” in an “I’ve got you there” kind of tone was the rather triumphant response.

It had taken me an hour to drive into the miserable traffic filled rainy town and fight my way through the Saturday mall dwellers so I was somewhat exasperated. I asked what it was needed for since they have all the records anyway and the warranty as activated by them on purchase.

Both the assistant and then the manager insisted that all manufacturers require the card presented for warranty work, so then I said, well, what if I take my recently purchased Sub for warranty work to another AD when the warranty card is in your safe?

AD : “We gave you a photocopy - you can use that”

Me: “Aha! So I can email you a copy of the warranty card so I don’t have to come back in”

AD: “no, that’s only for Rolex”

Me: “but Tudor are Rolex”

Despite all logical argument, and the fact they found the purchase immediately on their records, they’re insisting on presentation of the card, which I’ll have to post to them.

Lots of questions here.

1) what if the card is lost? Regardless of the warranty they still have to contend with the consumer rights act.
    2) what if I was the second owner? The warranty is international and transferable
    3) why do they need it anyway, since all the watches have a serial number?

I didn’t ask though, what happens to the card. Do they send it off with the watch, or just verify it? In which case, what extra info is on the card they don’t have already?

Very irritating.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

New watch, known problem, they should be bending over backwards to help you.
    "A man of little significance"

I just find it weirder that in 2018, the industry relies on people remembering to carry around bits of plastic.

What a stupidly unnecessary insistence.
    This is especially true if it were bought in that very store by yourself.
    What a mad condition to out on a customer service that should be done with an apology and a smile
    D

I think what your experiencing is ,we will gladly take your money but has soon as there’s a problem we’ll make it has difficult as possible for you to get something for free .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Pedantic rule following dickheads.

Master
    Never had this problem with Rolex. But I go direct to RSC St James's and they just check their records and know when the warranty was activated. When I sent one of my Omegas direct to them, they just asked for a scanned copy of the warranty card to be emailed. I have never had to produce the actual card.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    Pedantic rule following dickheads.
    What I’m not sure about is who’s rules are they following. Tudor’s or Goldsmiths. Goldsmiths come out with such rubbish I’m don’t really believe anything they say.

For example: they claimed they did not keep a record of my email address or phone number due to GDPR.

So, I asked, how come you were able to call me on Thursday to ask if I wanted a (second) Sub no date?

Much obfuscation followed then, they say, this data is kept separately. But the last time I was there I was told by the smug sales assistant they use a CRM to keep track of all customer activity.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I can't understand why they would treat a known customer like that, is it just that branch? That said it's times like that where the customer service from the smaller family independents proves invaluable

Journeyman
    1) Consumer rights is completely separate to the warranty so you don't need your warranty card to get a claim under these, although you might need a proof of purchase.

However, your rights are that you have a two year guarantee against defects and you do not get a warranty. You have to prove that the fault existed before delivery (i.e. when the good goes into your legal possession).

In the first six months of a purchase, this is not a problem, there is an assumption that any defect arising in the first six months existed before delivery - the seller is obliged to fix or refund your watch.

In the remaining year and a half, the burden of proof shifts, you have to show that fault existed before delivery and that you were not at fault. As such, generally, warranty terms are much more generous than the terms under your statutory rights.

Another important thing to point out is that the warranty is issued by the manufacturer, whereas your consumer rights claim is primarily against the seller.

2) If it is transferable, as long as the warranty is valid, you shouldn't have an issue with being the second owner - although you might have to go directly to the manufacturer if the AD isn't playing ball. This can be a hassle as it seems like most watchmakers would prefer you to go through the AD the watch was bought from rather than go directly to the watchmaker.

3) There is no legal obligation to provide a warranty (which again is different from the two year statutory guarantee). As such, manufacturers can place any terms they want on them, no matter how pedantic or frustrating. I suspect this is to make it difficult for "grey market" bought watches to get repairs through warranty and make it more attractive for retailers to sign up as ADs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    I can't understand why they would treat a known customer like that, is it just that branch? That said it's times like that where the customer service from the smaller family independents proves invaluable

They are my closest AD. However, it might be worth travelling a little to find a decent one.

What is bad in all this is companies will complain if they are named and shamed but in a situation like this it doesnt really leave the customer with much choice. I cant really understand why the shop would behave like this presumably its a recent purchase and your credit card/receipt would prove that not to mention you may even still remember the person who served you for your purchase. Why would the company refuse to service the watch if you dont have the warranty card? The should could just show their proof of sale if needed, what happens if you lost your warranty card?

Might it be an idea to contact Tudor directly and tell them of your experience with the AD and ask them for an explanation as to why you have been treated so poorly?

Getting my Explorer regulated: via the AD I bought the watch from, warranty card was required and sent to Rolex along with the watch. Second time via the RSC, warranty card not required as they looked the watch up on the computer.

If it's Rolex requiring the card be sent with the watch, there's probably nothing the AD can do about that, bar being far more polite and apologetic to the inconvenienced customer.

Master
    Tudor happily accept a copy of the card, so emailing them a photo of both sides, they could print it and send, no problems. Seems they just dont want to, or perhaps dont own a printer.

Apprentice
    In a world where ADs are under such pressure from greys and direct online sales, one of the main justifications for using them is the ease of getting things resolved if there's a problem during the warranty period.

For an AD to go so out of their way to negate that advantage seems perverse.

Master
    I’d like to talk direct to Tudor, but can’t find any contact details - does any one have an email address or phone number either here or Switzerland?

thanks,