closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dornbluth Watches

Dornbluth Watches

A brand that were in the past fairly common on the forums but seem to have drifted away. Made to order and rather beautiful watches. The company are a pleasure to deal with and answer any questions you have along the way of ordering. Unlike other brands you pay your deposit and the watch is made for you. You can ask for engraving, applied numerals or any other minor modification along the way. In some ways they are similar to another German brand Tourby but the difference here is the movement is hand built a stripped down Unitas movement that also has a hack second mechanism. One other thing of note is the box it comes in. A lovely wooden box that can also act as a desk clock as where the dial is has been cut out.

Quick picture of mine.

I think it's only right that you post a shot of the rear of your Dornbluth. There could be some poor souls here who don't know what goes on back there! ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    99.1 front and back . . . .

Lovely watches, from lovely people.
    About five month' wait at present.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I think it's only right that you post a shot of the rear of your Dornbluth. There could be some poor souls here who don't know what goes on back there! ;-)
    I really would but mine has my children's names engraved on the back its very much personal to us as a family. I think thats what makes Dornbluth a little special. Mine is the 99.0 I didnt get applied numerals but its always an option for this one I just wanted a basic marine look but my second one I would like to get a centre seconds and that one will have applied numerals. I thought to get the blue dial version (Dornbluth now have a few colour dial available but the cream dial with applied blue numerals just looks fantastic to me.

I am sure someone else can come along with a photo of theirs.

This is when I first bought it.

***edit***

I think I ordered mine around October and it was finished in July/August. Didnt bother me at all the wait to be honest, they were happy to send photos of its progress.

Master
    A special anniversary looms next year coupled with a big birthday the year after, has lead me to request a Dornbluth catalogue earlier this week.
    Now it’s decision time :)

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    A special anniversary looms next year coupled with a big birthday the year after, has lead me to request a Dornbluth catalogue earlier this week.
    Now it’s decision time :)

I've had similar thoughts before. I bought an Archimede from SC to try the style and size, which I like. I got the catalogue too. My thought was to buy a Dornbluth when I was 60. Problem was/is I'll have to sell most of my watches to buy one. The nearer it got to my 59th (it was a @ 12 month lead time then) the more I realised that it had taken me so long to build my small collection, each one long considered and saved for, that I found it hard to part with them. My 60th came and went, I'm 61 now and the Dornbluth has become my "exit" watch, but my group still needs to go to fund it. So out of this lot only the Datejust and CWC will stay, CWC for the rough stuff and Datejust because I've had it from new in 1984, a true keeper. To compound the issue, the Archimede cost me a little over @10% of a Dornbluth and is a lovely watch in it's own right. Decisions indeed!

F.T.F.A.

Mag, I think you'd regret chopping those in for a Dorney.
    Not that the Dorney isn't a nice watch, but I think the 'exit watch' strategy might be a bit flawed.
    I bought my exit watch more than a year ago. I think I may have bought about half a dozen watches since then.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Mag, I think you'd regret chopping those in for a Dorney.
    Not that the Dorney isn't a nice watch, but I think the 'exit watch' strategy might be a bit flawed.
    I bought my exit watch more than a year ago. I think I may have bought about half a dozen watches since then.

You're quite correct, I'm just not 100% sure on getting rid of these for a Dornbluth, I enjoy wearing them in rotation every few weeks, and because of the spread in the group it's almost like new watch day when I change! I've noticed you have an Arktis, and pre 2015 (when I got the Dornbluth lust and bought the Archimede) my thoughts were to end up with just my Datejust and an Arktis. Did I mention the 36mm Everest? ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

I would just wait until one comes up second hand and keep putting some money away towards it..... The everest looks good but the new tf that gets my whistle is the 45... .Ithink that's going to be quite special.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    A very nice watch .you see very few about .It makes a change from all the divers around

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Do they currently make any <=40mm ?

The base Unitas/ETA movement is 36.6mm across (or 16.5''') which will affect case size.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Do they currently make any <=40mm ?
    Yep, this one 38.5mm

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Yep, this one 38.5mm
    It's twice the price of the similar-looking 42mm diameter 99.1. Because the smaller watch has an in house movement I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Yep, this one 38.5mm
    Thank you, too pricey for me unfortunately.

Craftsman
    Yes, the 99.1 is clearly strongly derived from a 9864, but it's hardly a direct plug-in . . . . .

However, it is true that the 2010 family of calibers is entirely "in-house".