closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bargain Leica binocular?

Bargain Leica binocular?

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Leic...BN_226102.html

TZ-ers often ask about binoculars and the above are well worth an enquiry - especially at the bargain £299 price. They are likely about 15 years 'young' and the optics are 'lead glass' … lead is no longer used in current models. The 'two spots' in the right objective would only be of concern if they are fungus … if 'white' might be fungus … if non-white unlikely to be fungus. A competent binocular technician could likely remove the front element and clean it at minimal cost . Leica Mayfair might clean it free of charge - but you'd have to ask. The spots are not visible in use and would not affect the image. I can recommend Tony Kay at OpRep for binocular cleaning https://www.opticalrepairs.com … very £reasonable charges. LCE Chichester is usually closed on Sundays.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 11th November 2018 at 12:04.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Thanks for your frequent 'heads-ups'!

General question really - when you say spots could easily be removed, is this only for non-fungus. If so, why can't fungus be cleaned, will it reappear?

I agree I have a pair similar to these of the same age, they are fantastic and that is a very good price.

Really love mine and really portable.

Leica binoculars are amazing, I also bought some Ultravid HD+ at a good price as the original owner found them heavy and swapped to Zeiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Thanks for your frequent 'heads-ups'!

General question really - when you say spots could easily be removed, is this only for non-fungus. If so, why can't fungus be cleaned, will it reappear?
    Fungus can 'etch' itself i.e. "EAT" into the glass if left uncleaned … If caught in time it can be removed and likely no harm done to the glass … but if these spots are as small as described they're unikely to compromise image quality. The 'spotty' element would probably remove for cleaning quite easily with careful use of a spanner wrench … so could be a DIY job.

dunk

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Fungus can 'etch' itself i.e. "EAT" into the glass if left uncleaned … If caught in time it can be removed and likely no harm done to the glass … but if these spots are as small as described they're unikely to compromise image quality. The 'spotty' element would probably remove for cleaning quite easily with careful use of a spanner wrench … so could be a DIY job.

dunk
    Thank's, didn't realise it was such a problem. Could (or maybe they do) makers impregnate/coat internal surfaces (obviously not glass) with fungicide?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Thank's, didn't realise it was such a problem. Could (or maybe they do) makers impregnate/coat internal surfaces (obviously not glass) with fungicide?
    Unlikely to prevent fungal spores, which are everywhere, migrating to the glass.

https://www.zeiss.co.uk/camera-lense...on-lenses.html

For some reason some fungi like glass and can thrive on it. In theory, if a waterproof binocular is assembled properly and internally purged with nitrogen, any fungus spores would not have a chance to settle internally … but who knows what happened during assembly in Leica's Portugal factory 15 years ago. No QA procedures are 100% efficient.

I'm likely painting the worst possible outcome ref the 'spots' … they could be just a couple of dust specks. And the dealer might be unaware that the UK's best binocular technician, Tony Kay at OptRep, is just a few miles away in Selsey

dunk

How about these...LCE link?

Craftsman
    Probably a silly question here but are these really much better than 'ordinary' binoculars? I bought a set a few years ago for €50 off a Spanish market and to my eyes they seem quite good. 20 x 50. Will 8 X 32 be as good or better than those?

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    Probably a silly question here but are these really much better than 'ordinary' binoculars? I bought a set a few years ago for €50 off a Spanish market and to my eyes they seem quite good. 20 x 50. Will 8 X 32 be as good or better than those?
    I think so...I also think we've been here before:

There are lots of Chinese manufactured budget priced binoculars selling for £25 to £75 … of all apertures and magnifications. Consider that the manufacturer, the importer and the retailer all have to sell at a profit … thus the original manufacturing cost is likely less than £15 … and often less than £10. And they are mostly made in two enormous Chinese factories … and most are 'badge engineered' … i.e. the same binoculars are available with several different manufacturers' model and brand names.

A binocular is in effect two telescopes hinged together side by side … comprising: a pair of achromat objective lenses, a pair of roof prisms or porro prisms (to compress the length of the telescope), and a pair of multi element eyepieces … all of which require coating &/or multi-coating … and maybe (if you're lucky) roof prism phase coating, … and they require assembly into a binocular chassis/body with perfect collimation for a decent image … Add the packaging cost and the shipping … and also factor in the cost of very variable quality control …. And that is a budget price Chinese binocular.

Sometimes they're OK … sometimes not so OK … But from the outside in the dealer's cabinet they all look OK and have fancy names. It's not possible to design and manufacture a good quality binocular (i.e. two telescopes side by side) which costs £10 to £15 to manufacture and which has: perfect collimation, no astigmatism, no coma, no chromatic aberration and a decent wide field of view.. For £10 to £15 something(s) has to give … and what gives first is Q.A. … quality in the broad sense of the word varies considerably. You might be lucky to get a reasonable binocular … but compare it to a high end model and you'll see the difference. Unfortunately few buyers appreciate this and as long as they see a magnified image they are happy . A serious observer will consider all the factors which contribute to a relaxed and pleasing observing experience over relatively long periods of time e.g. sitting in a hide for several hours.

Its a bit like comparing a cheap Chinese throwaway watch with a proper timepiece you can be proud to wear and cherish

You pay your money … and you get what you pay for.

dunk

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    How about these...LCE link?
    Likely 1974 vintage i.e. 44 years 'young' … and first released in 1965 . Excellent binocular but 'average condition' needs clarifying to establish exact optical & cosmetic condition; they're not nitrogen purged. A lot of binocular optical development occurred between 1974 and 2004 e.g. phase coating and new improved glass formulae.

dunk

Likely 1974 vintage i.e. 44 years 'young' … and first released in 1965 . Excellent binocular but 'average condition' needs clarifying to establish exact optical & cosmetic condition; they're not nitrogen purged. A lot of binocular optical development occurred between 1974 and 2004 e.g. phase coating and new improved glass formulae.

dunk
    I quite agree. They look very good cosmetically from the two photos, but I'd need to know more about the optics given LCE's 3* rating. The later 'staple' attachment for a strap is a bonus, IMO. A bit of a classic, but relatively light and not too bulky.
    Last edited by PickleB; 11th November 2018 at 23:02. Reason: edit 'sgree' to 'agree'

If only they were available a month ago, I'd be all over them as a rash. Sadly my new neighbours just fitted blinds to their bedroom window so I'll pass.
    Last edited by VDG; 12th November 2018 at 04:14.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri