closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Jag F-Type, 5l V8

Banned
    Blog Entries

Jag F-Type, 5l V8

Anyone had one and care to share experiences? I am looking at a 2014 car, via a JLR dealer complete with a 2 year warranty. Anything to look out for? Soft top.

Master
    My boss ran one “ nothing to look out for” ......................just listen, wow they sound nice.
    He had no issues with his, liked it so much he bought a hard top at the same time!

Steve

Read the warranty exclusions carefully before parting with your hard earned.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Read the warranty exclusions carefully before parting with your hard earned.
    Care to expand on that? My D4 has a JLR warranty which has proved to work perfectly when needed.

Master
    I am thinking about the F-type R. Test drive one a while back and was spinning the wheels accelerating into a motorway at speed. That made me think the AWD is the one to go for. I would only buy one from a jaguar dealer and with that you will get two years comprehensive warranty. I did have a Jag XJ a couple of years back and again bought from a dealer and needed to use the warranty a couple of time.
    Oh, and the sat nav is less than useless.

Great engine, not sure about the rest of it*. Give me an XKR any day of the week.

*I've only driven the SVR.
    "A man of little significance"

It’s a seriously heavy car, a great cross country tourer but lacks excitement. They do sound good though

Google pedestrian air bag system
    Known to deploy randomly!
    One dealer ( independent) told me he was quoted 10600 to fix one- all he’d done was dive over a dropped kerb on his driveway at about 5mph
    Lovely but not sure I could live with the worry!
    Jaguar are known to wriggle over claims for this.
    Someone on here had diff or gearbox failure too, I believe

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all for the comments so far. I have to say that I do have a few niggling doubts about JLR reliability, but the two year manufacturer’s warranty was there to deal with those.
    I am not looking for an out and out sportscar (I had an Exige 350 Sport last year, which I sold within a few months), rather a junior GT with pace and, perhaps more importantly, a bit of aural drama - most probably in the form of a V8. It needs to be a convertible since it will be used 2/3rds of the year with top down. Other than the Jag? - well, V8 Vantage Roadster (not had an AM before), SL63 (enjoyed my SL55 3/4 years back), Mustang (not sure I want a Ford), 997 C2S or C4S (a 6 rather than V8, had one after the SL). Budget is up to £50,000 (for absolutely the right car) but would prefer early 40s if possible.

JLR?

Lol.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

If its an ex JLR Management car do check if it's come via Paragon who are dreadful in any pre-sale prep of any JLR product into the network....

Also the Coupe is a superior all rounder to the Roadster.

It might be better not to include LR in your research,,

https://www.whatcar.com/news/2017-wh...-survey/n16170
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Thanks all for the comments so far. I have to say that I do have a few niggling doubts about JLR reliability, but the two year manufacturer’s warranty was there to deal with those.
    I am not looking for an out and out sportscar (I had an Exige 350 Sport last year, which I sold within a few months), rather a junior GT with pace and, perhaps more importantly, a bit of aural drama - most probably in the form of a V8. It needs to be a convertible since it will be used 2/3rds of the year with top down. Other than the Jag? - well, V8 Vantage Roadster (not had an AM before), SL63 (enjoyed my SL55 3/4 years back), Mustang (not sure I want a Ford), 997 C2S or C4S (a 6 rather than V8, had one after the SL). Budget is up to £50,000 (for absolutely the right car) but would prefer early 40s if possible.
    Have you considered a C63S, I have driven most things and was very surprised how good it was, only downside was its apatite for fuel

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Adrian, you might just have something there. Did not realise they do a cab.

Master
    Although the car may be approved and come with a 2 yr warranty, assuming it's the same as Land Rover/Range Rover, it is not a manufacturers warranty. It's an after market warranty via a third party company administered by JLR. As has been suggested, read the small print for exclusions (known manufacturing defects for example; snapped cranks on 3.0ltr diesels are not covered). That being said, I understand the 5.0ltr SC V8 is a pretty strong engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Adrian, you might just have something there. Did not realise they do a cab.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...cm179fl&page=1

I've got a V6S Coupe, purchased from a Jag Dealer 6 months ago

I've come from having German sports cars previously (Porsche, Audi, BMW etc) and although the F-Type isn't as well put together as an Audi, they are still pretty good cars.

Things that annoy me - Hardly any interior storage, the sunvisors are tiny and the standard Pirelli tyres are useless. But I love the looks, the noise and the fact that it's relatively uncommon.

Agree on the comments about the warranty. It's not the same as the Manufacturer Warranty

There's a good Facebook group for F-Type owners, as well as a forum with loads of useful info

Master
    A jag enthusiast at work knows some one who had one of these and the pedestrian air bag went off twice after going over potholes the last time he took jaguar to court to get the problem sorted

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    Although the car may be approved and come with a 2 yr warranty, assuming it's the same as Land Rover/Range Rover, it is not a manufacturers warranty. It's an after market warranty via a third party company administered by JLR. As has been suggested, read the small print for exclusions (known manufacturing defects for example; snapped cranks on 3.0ltr diesels are not covered). That being said, I understand the 5.0ltr SC V8 is a pretty strong engine.
    True it's not a manufactures warranty but it's as close as you're going to get, the company in question is Car Care Plan. Exclusion do exists but they're generally for items that are considered to be existing from the point of manufacture. Known items that would have been ordinarily covered but aren't due to this are then passed on to customer relations who authorise the repair. Id be interested to find out about D4 engine issue with regards it not being covered.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    True it's not a manufactures warranty but it's as close as you're going to get, the company in question is Car Care Plan. Exclusion do exists but they're generally for items that are considered to be existing from the point of manufacture. Known items that would have been ordinarily covered but aren't due to this are then passed on to customer relations who authorise the repair. Id be interested to find out about D4 engine issue with regards it not being covered.
    There has been a lot of discussion on the Disco3 and RRSport forums about potential crank failures on relatively new 3.0 diesels and quite a number of owners have left the fold due to concern that they will be left high and dry if it fails. Some people have received assurances, from sales staff, that it will be covered, but to my understanding not in writing. I understand that JLR will deal with crank failure post manufacturers 3 yr warranty on a case by case basis, but the approved warranty will not. I guess service history will have a real bearing on their decision. Hardly reassuring.
    I did read somewhere that JLR have issued a TSB or similar in one of the Asian markets (S. Korea I think) recognising that there may be an issue, but are still in denial in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    There has been a lot of discussion on the Disco3 and RRSport forums about potential crank failures on relatively new 3.0 diesels and quite a number of owners have left the fold due to concern that they will be left high and dry if it fails. Some people have received assurances, from sales staff, that it will be covered, but to my understanding not in writing. I understand that JLR will deal with crank failure post manufacturers 3 yr warranty on a case by case basis, but the approved warranty will not. I guess service history will have a real bearing on their decision. Hardly reassuring.
    I did read somewhere that JLR have issued a TSB or similar in one of the Asian markets (S. Korea I think) recognising that there may be an issue, but are still in denial in Europe.
    Once the engine has been confirm to be seized due to the crank issue the dealer will contact CCP
    Seeing as it a known issue CCP will quite rightly reject the claim but pass on the failure to Customer relations. The dealer then has to jump through hoops having to submit various forms and technical info to gain authority and for JLR to agree the failure
    Once the dealer has this Customer relations authorise the repair 100%
    So whilst you’re correct, CCP do reject the claim as long as service history is ok JLR will pay for it
    If not you’re quite rightly on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    A jag enthusiast at work knows some one who had one of these and the pedestrian air bag went off twice after going over potholes the last time he took jaguar to court to get the problem sorted
    This can indeed happen, but it's a simple pull a fuse job and you need never worry again. Won't compromise the rest of the cars safety features.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    This can indeed happen, but it's a simple pull a fuse job and you need never worry again. Won't compromise the rest of the cars safety features.
    As in, pull the fuse to disable the passenger airbag?

^^^PEDESTRIAN airbag, or so I believe....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    ^^^PEDESTRIAN airbag, or so I believe....
    Ah yes, I read passenger where it was written pedestrian...

Craftsman
    a little over budget but 4.0v8 continental gt is a stunning car i use mine everyday and its 26+ mpg had the 6ltr before and a great car but 12ish mpg is pants

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    And s#d the plebs.

Craftsman
    Agree about the warranty exclusion small print. Make sure you are happy about what’s not covered, i.e. wiring looms, anything remotely connected to the exhaust system etc.

The rear reverse camera on my Discovery 4 went on the blink. I knew the camera unit was at fault, my local dealer knew, but the warranty company made the dealer go through every mm of wiring to make sure the fault wasn’t in the loom before finally agreeing to replace the camera unit, just so they could avoid paying out.

So, I’m without the car for nearly two weeks for an eventual fix that took 10 minutes to fit. Not exactly the best experience but hey ho, first world problem I guess.

Also agree about JLR sat nav, so bad it’s hilarious. Occasionally I set it just to see what kind of peculiar route it takes me 🙄.

How about a nice TVR Chim 450 with a ground up restoration? The best noise ever for around £30k and effectively a new car. One for the brave souls 😂. There was one for sale at Central TVR a little while back for under £29k and my man brain had it fully justified before I came over all sensible.

I owned a 5L V8 F Type convertible and loved it. Epic noise and good fun. Not an out and out sports car more of a GT.
    No issues with it in my 12 months ownership. I've now got an SL500 as I wanted something more refined and like a folding hard top.

Grand Master
    If I was in the market for a fast modern sports car the Jag would be on my list. I had a look around one when they came out, what struck me was the width of the car and the lack of storage space. I much prefer the XK, far more practical car IMO, but that's a bit like comparing apples and pears.

Do I like them?.,...YES. Would I buy one....NO. First time I parked in a car park then realised I couldn't get the door open wide enough to get out would be enough to piss me off big-style, the car needs to be a good few inches narrower IMO but that criticism could be levelled at lots of modern cars. Roads and parking spaces don't get any wider, but cars do...........it's got to stop somewhere!

Personally, I wouldn't be put off by the potential reliability issues. If you buy anything in this league that's a few years old, it's got the potential to cost money even with a warranty, but so long as you go into it with your eyes open it's fine, if it happens it happens and it pays to have a few £££ up your sleeve for that rainy day.

I test drove a 5L V8 F-Type convertible a couple of years back. I liked it a lot but as soon as I got in I realised it was too small for me even with the seat all the way back. I’m a fraction under 6ft and fairly light build so was a bit surprised. The dealer wasn’t, he said a few people had commented on it.

Anyone else tall who gets on better with it?

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I test drove a 5L V8 F-Type convertible a couple of years back. I liked it a lot but as soon as I got in I realised it was too small for me even with the seat all the way back. I’m a fraction under 6ft and fairly light build so was a bit surprised. The dealer wasn’t, he said a few people had commented on it.

Anyone else tall who gets on better with it?
    I drove the 3.0 supercharged convertible and I’m 184cm (6”1/2’). I had no issues with the seat, but I have relatively short legs (32” leg) for my height.

I loved the car, it wasn’t Lotus nimble but it was a lot of fun. It was a manual and I thought the power was about right...it was fast enough and you could use all the rev range on the road.

I’d rather have a Lotus Evora though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I drove the 3.0 supercharged convertible and I’m 184cm (6”1/2’). I had no issues with the seat, but I have relatively short legs (32” leg) for my height.
    Thanks, maybe it was just me. I do like my legs and arms reasonably straight.

Nice car though.

Blog Entries
    3-4 year old BMW M6 - 4.4 V8 and circa, 560hp (with Competition Pack) available as coupe (F12) or convertible (F13) and all for well under £50k.

OK, more a very fast GT than an out and out sports car but, hey choices, choices....
    Last edited by vagabond; 27th January 2019 at 22:37.