closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Question for Dornblüth owners

Question for Dornblüth owners

What would you say is the going rate, privately, for a vgc 99.0, which has the original owner's initial engraved on the rotor, is from 2013, has not been serviced and the "gear values are about + - 30 seconds per day"?

Thanks

I have a 99.0 about 1 or 2 years old which has a personal engraving on it. I suppose you would have to factor in if someone wants to have it sent back to have the engraving removed which can be done during service so my guess would be look at the current pricing then factor in a service.

To me a Dornbluth is not like other brands it’s very much a “keep” watch there was a 99.1 on sale recently though.

Craftsman
    Paradoxically (because they are rare, and don't come up for sale very often) residuals are not great. That is, they are a good used buy for those (such as I) who like them.
    I recently bought my gorgeous 99.1, slightly under two years old, for not much more than £2,500.

They are truly beautiful watches.

€2600 is probably a bit steep then?

Not sure what the servicing costs and lead times are.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    €2600 is probably a bit steep then?

Not sure what the servicing costs and lead times are.

I think that’s not a bad price!

If the rotor is engraved I will stay away because it should be a manual movement in that watch.

If the 3/4 plate is engraved Dornbluth can change it fo a regular one to a fair price, a service is not expensive at them either.
    I don't have the numbers but it's surprisingly low prices when compared to competitors.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
    If the rotor is engraved I will stay away because it should be a manual movement in that watch.
    Very good point! I missed the blindingly obvious.

AFAIK there are no auto Dornblüth movements. Ergo, no rotors to engrave.

I meant the plate, ie where Dornblüth is also engraved. Had been reading the Schaffen thread just before posting.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    Paradoxically (because they are rare, and don't come up for sale very often) residuals are not great. That is, they are a good used buy for those (such as I) who like them.
    I recently bought my gorgeous 99.1, slightly under two years old, for not much more than £2,500.

They are truly beautiful watches.
    Not actually true, a few years ago they were sold at decent prices that is until the whole you must have a steel sports Rolex plugged by stealth dealers on watch forums craze took hold.

I bought a very tidy 99.0 on SC around 4 years ago from Kirk Hsu.

It is a low serial number from 2004, and as I plan to keep it long term I sent it back to Dirk for a service.

This was around 3 years ago when the £1 = €1.40, and cost around £290 including return shipping.

The personal service was exemplary - Dirk treats every client as an old friend, including a Christmas card each year.

Each watch is hand built, and they will customise any piece as required.
    Combining a vanilla plate with a service makes good sense if the watch is 5+ years old, particularly at +30 secs a day.

Just ping Dirk an email via their website message page, you will get a detailed response within a few days
    Last edited by W124; 10th November 2018 at 19:56.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Scans please of these beautiful watches, to inform the new WIS and for my own guilty pleasures lads.

Thanks. That’s helpful.

Thoughts on the (correct) price?

Craftsman
    A Dornblüth is definitely on my hitlist but like most, it will have to be new. I see a lot of value in it being made for me I guess (although let's be honest, if I didn't order the slot would be taken by someone else so is the watch really made for you?!).

I just feel it requires something special in life to order it for seeing as it will be for me forever.

Back on topic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Back on topic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry deleted my post. Have you not considered just looking at previous sales of Dornbluth watches on the internet instead of asking current owners who probably have no intention of selling?

Yes.

As this is a Forum asking for advice seems appropriate as there are almost none currently listed.

If we can’t seek advice might as well shut TZ down
    Last edited by OldHooky; 10th November 2018 at 22:06.

As I recall, most 99.0 and 99.1 have been listed on SC around £2,200 - £2,400.

If you assume that £2,000 is an absolute bottom line, you should be close.

Personally, I prefer the smaller sub-seconds on the 99.0 - on the 99.1 the larger sub-dial is invasive, but your taste may differ.

Dirk offers a full selection of smooth and grain straps in a variety of colours to suit your taste.

I have the grey and denim blue straps, both work well with the painted dial.
    Last edited by W124; 12th November 2018 at 15:25.

What I like about the 99.0 is that the 15 and 45 second markers on the subdial line up with the tops of the 5 and 7 hour markers. A handy place to search for them used is WatchDealSeeker , there's a 38mm 4.0 on there now.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Thread revival I know but I was revisiting my occasional Dornbluth itch and came across the watch on chronocentric as mentioned in the previous post.

The price seemed very, very competitive (alarm bell 1) and the seller confirmed it was still available; he'd had a number of enquiries but had been unable to access emails fully to reply (alarm bell 2).
    Some email exchanges later and the seller confirmed he couldn't facilitate my suggestion of due diligence via Skype/video chat to discuss the watch, view it and provide proof of ID (alarm bells 3 and 4) because his work wouldn't allow it (alarm bell 5) plus the watch was with his 'shipper' awaiting just the despatch details (alarm bell now just ringing constantly). We agreed to conclude matters there.

He may well be a genuine seller however as he's abroad (seller never did say where despite being asked) I wouldn't contemplate sending any cash and suspect any sensible person wouldn't. There's no trace of the images other than on the FS ad and the email/username threw up nothing either but the approach to a sale is 'unusual'.

I just wondered if anyone else had made contact with the seller?
    Last edited by deepreddave; 12th December 2018 at 16:57.