closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch accuracy puzzle.

Watch accuracy puzzle.

This has bugged me for a while. Typically your high end dress watches traditionally are 2 handers with no date and no second hand. So how do you check if the watch is running accurately if you can’t tell until it’s either a full minute fast or a minute slow?

I assume you could still run it on a timegrapher but if you don’t have one what do you do?

Just don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Just don't worry about it.
    It’s WIS - watch accuracy is kind of a fetish. But on a serious note. If a watch goes from 5 sec a day to 20 sec a day then a service is likely due but how could you tell ?

You just have to measure it over a longer period eg +1 minute over 2 weeks would be about +4spd.

Or use a timegrapher.

Master
    Or you just buy a Grand Seiko 9F quartz watch for those few times where ultimate precision actually matters.

Thomas Reid
    If you are working on it, and it isn't cased up, you could compare the balance movement to one working well, which has the same bph. Or, use a strobe light. Best to have a timer, however.

If you aren't working on it, but it a real dress watch and you are just wearing it, then it is most certainly not quite, quite to be worried whether it is +/- a couple of minutes a day.

Best wishes,
    Bob

This is precisely why this Chopard L.U.C. exists in two versions

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    This has bugged me for a while. Typically your high end dress watches traditionally are 2 handers with no date and no second hand. So how do you check if the watch is running accurately if you can’t tell until it’s either a full minute fast or a minute slow?

I assume you could still run it on a timegrapher but if you don’t have one what do you do?
    I have a few two-handers, and I find that I can tell the time to within a few seconds at the point the minute hand hits one of the batons. Just do the same 24 hrs later and compare, allowing a margin for error. Don't know why it would have to be a full minute out to be noticeable.

If it's a dress watch, then surely you set it and wind it just before you put on your dinner jacket or lounge suit, and as long as you're not late for your carriage at midnight then it's accurate enough.

Indeed a watch that gains 10 minutes an hour would be advantageous to give you a flying start at separating the good lady wife from the wine waiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    If it's a dress watch, then surely you set it and wind it just before you put on your dinner jacket or lounge suit, and as long as you're not late for your carriage at midnight then it's accurate enough.

Indeed a watch that gains 10 minutes an hour would be advantageous to give you a flying start at separating the good lady wife from the wine waiter.
    Not worried so much about the accuracy for timekeeping, but rather more as an indication of requiring a service possibly

Not worried so much about the accuracy for timekeeping, but rather more as an indication of requiring a service possibly ly
    If you notice it needs servicing, it needs servicing, if you don't, it doesnt.

You don't need to go looking for problems to see if there are any.

That'll be 50p.
    Good advice doesn't come cheap.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    If you notice it needs servicing, it needs servicing, if you don't, it doesnt.

You don't need to go looking for problems to see if there are any.

That'll be 50p.
    Good advice doesn't come cheap.
    Cheque’s in the post

Suppose you would have to take a long average .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Assuming the OP is using the term "dress watch" in the correct term, then it really does not matter. A dress watch is traditionally around 34mm, gold, place face, hour and minute hands only with a black leather strap. Strangely enough the convention is that you don't dare to look at it during the formal event as it makes you look you want to leave.

So if it is good for a minute over 24 hours, don't worry.

Apprentice
    Time machine

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk