timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Watch accuracy puzzle.

  1. #1
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    5,278

    Watch accuracy puzzle.

    This has bugged me for a while. Typically your high end dress watches traditionally are 2 handers with no date and no second hand. So how do you check if the watch is running accurately if you canít tell until itís either a full minute fast or a minute slow?

    I assume you could still run it on a timegrapher but if you donít have one what do you do?

  2. #2
    Just don't worry about it.

  3. #3
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Just don't worry about it.
    Itís WIS - watch accuracy is kind of a fetish. But on a serious note. If a watch goes from 5 sec a day to 20 sec a day then a service is likely due but how could you tell ?

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,924
    You just have to measure it over a longer period eg +1 minute over 2 weeks would be about +4spd.

    Or use a timegrapher.

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    3,458
    Or you just buy a Grand Seiko 9F quartz watch for those few times where ultimate precision actually matters.

  6. #6
    If you are working on it, and it isn't cased up, you could compare the balance movement to one working well, which has the same bph. Or, use a strobe light. Best to have a timer, however.

    If you aren't working on it, but it a real dress watch and you are just wearing it, then it is most certainly not quite, quite to be worried whether it is +/- a couple of minutes a day.

    Best wishes,
    Bob

  7. #7
    Master Der Amf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,273
    This is precisely why this Chopard L.U.C. exists in two versions




  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Leics
    Posts
    5,154
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    This has bugged me for a while. Typically your high end dress watches traditionally are 2 handers with no date and no second hand. So how do you check if the watch is running accurately if you canít tell until itís either a full minute fast or a minute slow?

    I assume you could still run it on a timegrapher but if you donít have one what do you do?
    I have a few two-handers, and I find that I can tell the time to within a few seconds at the point the minute hand hits one of the batons. Just do the same 24 hrs later and compare, allowing a margin for error. Don't know why it would have to be a full minute out to be noticeable.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    This has bugged me for a while. Typically your high end dress watches traditionally are 2 handers with no date and no second hand. So how do you check if the watch is running accurately if you canít tell until itís either a full minute fast or a minute slow?

    I assume you could still run it on a timegrapher but if you donít have one what do you do?
    If it's a dress watch, then surely you set it and wind it just before you put on your dinner jacket or lounge suit, and as long as you're not late for your carriage at midnight then it's accurate enough.

    Indeed a watch that gains 10 minutes an hour would be advantageous to give you a flying start at separating the good lady wife from the wine waiter.

  10. #10
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    If it's a dress watch, then surely you set it and wind it just before you put on your dinner jacket or lounge suit, and as long as you're not late for your carriage at midnight then it's accurate enough.

    Indeed a watch that gains 10 minutes an hour would be advantageous to give you a flying start at separating the good lady wife from the wine waiter.
    Not worried so much about the accuracy for timekeeping, but rather more as an indication of requiring a service possibly

  11. #11
    Grand Master seikopath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    29,192
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Not worried so much about the accuracy for timekeeping, but rather more as an indication of requiring a service possibly ly
    If you notice it needs servicing, it needs servicing, if you don't, it doesnt.

    You don't need to go looking for problems to see if there are any.

    That'll be 50p.
    Good advice doesn't come cheap.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish :)

  12. #12
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    If you notice it needs servicing, it needs servicing, if you don't, it doesnt.

    You don't need to go looking for problems to see if there are any.

    That'll be 50p.
    Good advice doesn't come cheap.
    Chequeís in the post

  13. #13
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    53
    Suppose you would have to take a long average .


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    2,477
    Assuming the OP is using the term "dress watch" in the correct term, then it really does not matter. A dress watch is traditionally around 34mm, gold, place face, hour and minute hands only with a black leather strap. Strangely enough the convention is that you don't dare to look at it during the formal event as it makes you look you want to leave.

    So if it is good for a minute over 24 hours, don't worry.

  15. #15
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    2
    Time machine

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •