closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wire/Ghost Soldiers - Remembrance Day Tribute

Wire/Ghost Soldiers - Remembrance Day Tribute

This morning I headed a few miles down the M5 to Slimbridge, Gloucestershire to see and photograph a tribute to WWI & WWII veterans from the Slimbridge parish. This artwork is in the St. John's churchyard. Each soldier is looking down on a gravestone of a WWI or WWII veteran. The soldiers are made from wire and called 'Wire Soldiers' though I've taken to referring to them as 'Ghost Soldiers' as they have a ghost-like, almost holographic quality. A brilliant idea beautifully executed by local artist Jackie Lantelli.

That - and they - are really quite something.

As an aside, the Remembrance Day tributes I've seen in various towns and villages down here have been remarkable, the one in a local church (no pics, sorry) have been quite plain but nevertheless very moving, many of them have focussed on the local populace who went off to WW1 but never returned. :-(

Such a tragic waste of life.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

These are stunning. Ethereal.

As above. Simply stunning. I don’t know if I like them or not, they make me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Which is probably the point...and a good thing.

They interviewed the artist yesterday on ITV Points West. I most say they are really quite beautiful and very moving.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Beautiful and sad.

We're all going to the Olympic Park to see 'Shrouds of the Somme' on Sunday.

Master
    Those assist the definition of art !

B

Excellent post, thanks for sharing. The ‘art’ is very touching and tought provoking.

Least we forget.

They are stunning.
    There are some remarkable tributes most years but this year seems to have brought out so many beautiful and poignant ones that really bring it home.
    Last week I was in Oswestry and saw the new bronze statue for Wilfred Owen which was absolutely beautiful.

Above stunning
    Truly evocative
    Very Emotional

Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    That - and they - are really quite something.

As an aside, the Remembrance Day tributes I've seen in various towns and villages down here have been remarkable, the one in a local church (no pics, sorry) have been quite plain but nevertheless very moving, many of them have focussed on the local populace who went off to WW1 but never returned. :-(

Such a tragic waste of life.

R
    But by that waste of life, we are here today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Incredible how simple material like wire can make such an impression through the hands of an artist!

May I remind you of the broadcasting of They Shall Not Grow Old next Sunday on BBC2?

Finally: this. The Imperial War Museum has released an audio recording (!) of the last minute of the war. You can hear it here:

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/07/eerie...6-QHznf1R8JBQY

I'll open a new thread about this as well.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 9th November 2018 at 23:19.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Incredible how simple material like wire can make such an impression through the hands of an artist!

May I remind you of the broadcasting of They Shall Not Grow Old next Sunday on BBC2?

Finally: this. The Imperial War Museum has released an audio recording (!) of the last minute of the war. You can hear it here:

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/07/eerie...6-QHznf1R8JBQY

I'll open a new thread about this as well.

Menno
    I listened to that recording a few days ago. Amazingly poignant.

Tomorrow I shall be remembering my great great uncles killed in Ancre Heights and Gallipoli in WW1 and of course my Grand Father who managed to survive his WW2 journey from Rangoon to Delhi being chased by the Japanese, before he chasing them back. When he was demobbed he refused his medals on principle (and because he was sick of the army) and it was my Grand Mother who secretly wrote to the war office to get them. My father only found out once his father died (at 60) when she gave them to him.. His medals are now proudly displayed at my Dads house.

Lest we forget.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Stunning piece of art, very moving and thought provoking. Those figures must look very surreal at dusk and first light.
    Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    Stunning piece of art, very moving and thought provoking. Those figures must look very surreal at dusk and first light.
    Thanks for posting.
    I would love for them to have been subtly illuminated at night, at least for a few hours. If they had been there would have been additional photographs.

Master
    Arundel Cathedral

Each form represents a son of Arundel who lost their life in the Great War. They each have a name plaque and poppy.

[IMG][/IMG]

.Ivinghoe beacon

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.