closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: True Wireless Earphones

Journeyman

True Wireless Earphones

I'm after a new pair of earphones, and am after some recommendations.

I picked up some Anker wireless earphones a while back, after recommendations from here, which are fantastic for the price.

I've flirted with a couple of different budget true wireless earphones from Amazon in the £40 range, however, i've had issues with them. From not pairing both earphones, to not charging / holding the charge as they should.

So i'm looking for a nice pair, with decent noise cancellation. Budget, probably circa £200 if they're decent.

Do you want in-ear, on-ear or over-ear?

Master
    If it's in ear then I'd go for the Jabra Elite Active 65t's. Bought a pair after selling my BOSE Soundsports and love them.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    In ear

I'm very happy with the Sony WF-1000X (review - Amazon)...especially as I bought mine from TobyDeals. Be aware that you need the app (Headphones Connect) for easy control.

What are you using them with? I’d assume either an Android phone or an iPhone.

What are you using them with? I’d assume either an Android phone or an iPhone.
    I use them when out and about and so generally use them with an Android phone or tablet. Previously I used Zik headphones, so the saving in bulk is considerable. The Ziks I also paired with my laptop and they worked well, but without the ability to make most (if not all) of the adjustments available through their app. I haven't tried the same with my Sony earphones as I can still use the Ziks (not having to carry them around).

Journeyman
    Although they're a bit over-budget, these are coming out in a few days from Sennheiser which seem interesting:

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/momentu...SABEgLp3vD_BwE

Apart from that I've heard good things about the RHA trueconnect as well but never tried them myself. If anyone gets or tries the Senns, please leave a comment because I'm thinking about getting them as well

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    If it's in ear then I'd go for the Jabra Elite Active 65t's. Bought a pair after selling my BOSE Soundsports and love them.
    Same as me, and I’d recommend them too...

Quote Originally Posted by fleshpress View Post
    Although they're a bit over-budget, these are coming out in a few days from Sennheiser which seem interesting:

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/momentu...SABEgLp3vD_BwE

Apart from that I've heard good things about the RHA trueconnect as well but never tried them myself. If anyone gets or tries the Senns, please leave a comment because I'm thinking about getting them as well
    Before going wikreless, I used to have some Sennheiser PXC 250 on-ear headphones and found their noise cancellation very good. I'd expect similar from these earbuds and the on-line reviews seem to confirm this.

One of those reviews...SoundGuys...contained a link to their Best true wireless earbuds recommendations. The Sennheiser buds don't get a mention as they're too new, but some of the others in this thread are there.

Edit I looked on SoundGuys for a review of my Sony WF-1000X earbuds but could only find this mention...link. I'm sure that there are reviews on-line if you want to search for them.
    Last edited by PickleB; 10th November 2018 at 10:19.

I have the Sony ones they are good for NC and I think sound quality I mostly use them for listening (falling asleep) to podcasts on planes. The battery life does seem a bit short and I also get complaints about call quality although is always hard to know if this is something else. If you want them for travel and calls then I would check carefully as those features possibly are not perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman

I swapped the Sony in ear wireless for these.

Whilst the Sony’s had great NC and very good sound quality I found there was too much of a delay when watch Netflix or video on the iPad when travelling which was annoying.

The B&O do not have this issue, sound fab and with the app you can play with the sound profile to a limited but useful extent.

If I just wanted for music then the Sony May be best due to the N/C but for all round use the B&O are hard to beat in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I swapped the Sony in ear wireless for these.

Whilst the Sony’s had great NC and very good sound quality I found there was too much of a delay when watch Netflix or video on the iPad when travelling which was annoying.

The B&O do not have this issue, sound fab and with the app you can play with the sound profile to a limited but useful extent.

If I just wanted for music then the Sony May be best due to the N/C but for all round use the B&O are hard to beat in my opinion.

This does seem to be an issue. See link for:

Re: WF-1000X audio not in sync with video

This is a known issue with Bluetooth headphones as a rule. I have a number of brands (Bose, Savfy, Apple, Sony) and all have this issue to some degree...

I must check that mine are updated to the latest firmware...link.

So you're not wrong but my hunt for reviews brought up this YouTube B&O Beoplay E8 review. Goto 3m15 for the relevant bit.

PS Which Sony earbuds did you have, please? I like to check as new models seem to appear at least yearly. Thanks.

I'm using a set of bose soundsport free wireless buds. Sound quality is superb as is the fit and finish. Lag when watching video was initially quite noticeable, but a firmware refresh seems to have sorted it out. There is a touch of lag when watching YouTube and Netflix but it's barely noticeable. Very pleased with them.

Master
    Aren’t in-ear called earphones and over-ear headphones?

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Try the net...link:

...There is little (if any) consensus as to precise meanings for these terms.
    Earphones are often a catch-all term for speakers that rest over or inside the ear, or fit directly into the ear canal...

So...it would appear not.

I concur.

Quote Originally Posted by Manchester View Post
    I bought these last year. They do take a bit of getting used to in getting the correct fit. I use Comply tips with mine. The sound quality is brilliant - better than the Bose Soundsport Free and they don’t stick out as much. I use mine virtually every day. If they had tips/wings for a more secure fit I would also use them for running. Very pricey though. B&O have just released a version in British Racing Green!

I've been on the hunt for one over the last month. My conclusions are as follows -

Jabra Elite 65t - probably the best all round. However I haven't bought one as there is a slight imbalance between L & R which would definitely annoy me.

Bose Soundsport - a lot of the issues seem to have been fixed through firmware. Slightly old tech as they've been out for a whole and sticks out a lot though, so if aesthetics play a part probably a no go.

Sony WF-1000X - not sure if the lag issues have been solved and maybe some connectivity issues persist as well as poor battery life but probably one of the best for sound quality. Also the above deal is a decent price!

The main reason for holding off is Sennheiser releasing their TW Momentum I think next week even. From all the initial tests they seem amazing, however a lot more expensive at around £300. But if they work flawlessly I'd probably buy one!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    I bought these last year. They do take a bit of getting used to in getting the correct fit. I use Comply tips with mine. The sound quality is brilliant - better than the Bose Soundsport Free and they don’t stick out as much. I use mine virtually every day. If they had tips/wings for a more secure fit I would also use them for running. Very pricey though. B&O have just released a version in British Racing Green!
    What's the noise cancelation like on them?

Pros and cons?
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I've been on the hunt for one over the last month. My conclusions are as follows -

Jabra Elite 65t - probably the best all round. However I haven't bought one as there is a slight imbalance between L & R which would definitely annoy me.

Bose Soundsport - a lot of the issues seem to have been fixed through firmware. Slightly old tech as they've been out for a whole and sticks out a lot though, so if aesthetics play a part probably a no go.

Sony WF-1000X - not sure if the lag issues have been solved and maybe some connectivity issues persist as well as poor battery life but probably one of the best for sound quality. Also the above deal is a decent price!

The main reason for holding off is Sennheiser releasing their TW Momentum I think next week even. From all the initial tests they seem amazing, however a lot more expensive at around £300. But if they work flawlessly I'd probably buy one!
    Thanks for that, appreciate that

Sound cancellation on the E8s are very good for a pair of earphones. They’ve also got this neat trick where when listening to music and you tap the left earphone the music shuts down and you hear the ambient noise. Very useful for when the station announcer lets you know your train has been cancelled again.

This was correct once upon a time.
    But like lots of other words and descriptions these have changed by laziness or due to political correctness.
    Now instead of having a gay time. We have to say “happy” or fun time.
    Or how about “Lucazade aids recovery”.

I have the elite 65t. No left right imbalance.

Craftsman
    E8s are erm......... Disappointing I got a pair for the gym, sound Avg at best, size was larger then expected, NC Avg & useless when try to run at a fast pace as they don't fit great.

The Pro's are they sound better then bose & the case is amazing

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    I have the elite 65t. No left right imbalance.
    Good to hear! I think what is frustrating is the lack of consistency in most of the TW brands so far. Personally at the moment I'd go with the elite 65t, but I am patient-ish to wait a bit longer to see what happens in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    E8s are erm......... Disappointing I got a pair for the gym, sound Avg at best, size was larger then expected, NC Avg & useless when try to run at a fast pace as they don't fit great.

The Pro's are they sound better then bose & the case is amazing

genuine question- what would you recommend for in-ear wireless that has better sound, smaller size and stays secure when running?

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    This does seem to be an issue. See link for:

Re: WF-1000X audio not in sync with video

This is a known issue with Bluetooth headphones as a rule. I have a number of brands (Bose, Savfy, Apple, Sony) and all have this issue to some degree...

I must check that mine are updated to the latest firmware...link.

So you're not wrong but my hunt for reviews brought up this YouTube B&O Beoplay E8 review. Goto 3m15 for the relevant bit.

PS Which Sony earbuds did you have, please? I like to check as new models seem to appear at least yearly. Thanks.
    My Sony buds were the ones you highlighted above WF-1000X

I watched the video and it is funny because I have not experienced any of the issues he raised such as not connecting automatically or audio delay when watching video.

Considering I returned the Sony for this issue, I was certainly sensitive to it when I got the B&Os and actively looking for it. Maybe he was unlucky or I was lucky as I really don’t notice any delay!

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    My Sony buds were the ones you highlighted above WF-1000X

I watched the video and it is funny because I have not experienced any of the issues he raised such as not connecting automatically or audio delay when watching video.

Considering I returned the Sony for this issue, I was certainly sensitive to it when I got the B&Os and actively looking for it. Maybe he was unlucky or I was lucky as I really don’t notice any delay!

Thanks for the reply...and I'm glad that you've sorted your delay issue.

Your comments and the video make me wonder if there is indeed an element of chance / luck involved. After all, the manufacturers will be doing what they can to ensure there is no undue delay. However, there must be a very large number of combinations to be accounted for. Think of the player's hardware, software and implementation of bluetooth, their own app's software and its interaction with the host player, then the earbuds themselves, their engineering and firmware status. Hopefully things will keep being improved and updated.

Anyone tried the RHA Trueconnect?

Not too many reviews yet but most seem good

Thanks for the reply...and I'm glad that you've sorted your delay issue.

Your comments and the video make me wonder if there is indeed an element of chance / luck involved. After all, the manufacturers will be doing what they can to ensure there is no undue delay. However, there must be a very large number of combinations to be accounted for. Think of the player's hardware, software and implementation of bluetooth, their own app's software and its interaction with the host player, then the earbuds themselves, their engineering and firmware status. Hopefully things will keep being improved and updated.
    This seems to be my conclusion. Frustrating when choosing a pair as experiences vary so wildly.

PB, how did you find Toby Deals? Any good? I've used eGlobal Central UK and they were OK. Just wondered what the delivery time was as I think they are not UK based.

I'm very happy with the Sony WF-1000X (review - Amazon)...especially as I bought mine from TobyDeals. Be aware that you need the app (Headphones Connect) for easy control.

Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    PB, how did you find Toby Deals? Any good? I've used eGlobal Central UK and they were OK. Just wondered what the delivery time was as I think they are not UK based.
    Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    They're definitely not UK based and delivery was slow...very typical of things coming from Hong Kong / China. Before buying I looked on their site and found

Shipping

Our Stock Everything we sell at Toby Deals is genuine, brand new, original and unlocked. In order to get the lowest priced products from all over the world, we have set up our business in the geographical advantageous country of Hong Kong. All of the products is warehoused and shipped from Hong Kong.

Delivery Location and Time Toby Deals only ships to United Kingdom and Ireland (excluding any Islands) currently.

Please note that we also do not offer shipping to any PO Box, BFPO Box, Guest House and Hotel address

All orders will ship within 24 to 72 working hours. (Saturday and Sunday excluded). After your item is shipped, please allow us another 3 – 7 working days for delivery to metro areas.

Standard Delivery Time: 3-7 Working Days*
    * The above delivery time is estimated by our courier partners. Therefore, we are not liable or responsible for any delays after dispatch. Delays may happen occasionally due to uncontrollable factors during the delivery process. Toby Deals will try our best to limit any difficulties that arise.

...and more.

I found that pretty reasonable as their T&Cs says:

1.9. Import Tax
    By purchasing a product through our site, customers outside Hong Kong authorise Toby Deals to make arrangements of clearance of customs on their behalf for the products they have ordered.

Our prices on our site are final and there won’t be any additional fees to pay when the product arrives.

...and so I assume that they ship to a UK agent who forwards the goods to individual customers, thus adding to the time and complexity of getting things to you.

I agree the new Sennheiser True Wireless earbuds seem to be hitting the spot in the early pre release reviews. Look and function very much like the B&Os but will better sound!

I would certainly hold fire to check them out.

Good to hear! I think what is frustrating is the lack of consistency in most of the TW brands so far. Personally at the moment I'd go with the elite 65t, but I am patient-ish to wait a bit longer to see what happens in the market.
    The buds aren't the problem, it's the companion app. For some reason it seems to cause issues.

Master
    I use these
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    at the gym.
    They aren't active noise cancelling but block out the ambient noise of a gym effectively. They aren't strictly 'true' wireless but the connection between fits around the back of the head high up so has no dangling wire to transmit noise, catch on hands or stick to sweaty skin and so be pulled out of your ears. They are very comfortable to wear but YMMV depending on ear and head shape. Batteries last over a week on a full charge at 1.5 hours use per day and i use them with netflix while on the static bike with no synch issues on my iPhone.
    Not the most glamorous and they do occasionally drop the connection requiring me to re-pair them (although I think this is just some joker at the gym with a 'hack app' or something as it always happens when certain people are nearby). If they ever do break or storp working I'll just bin them and buy another pair.

Maybe not quite what the OP was after but they are the best gym earphones i've found so far so may help someone out.

Journeyman
    The only ones I tried were the 65t and the lag when watching videos was completely unacceptable.

Will try to get my hands on a pair of the new sennheiesers when they're on special

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    genuine question- what would you recommend for in-ear wireless that has better sound, smaller size and stays secure when running?
    I use the Jabra Elite Active 65t's for running and never had them fall out. You can also knock the sound cancelling off when running outdoors. Never had a problem with sound lag when using to watch films from my Note 8 (maybe just lucky?).

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I use the Jabra Elite Active 65t's for running and never had them fall out. You can also knock the sound cancelling off when running outdoors. Never had a problem with sound lag when using to watch films from my Note 8 (maybe just lucky?).
    Live got the same and I’ve not experienced any lag on either my Sony phone, or my iPad. Nor have I got a L-R inbalence. I also find them secure when running and in the gym, and most earphones are pretty terrible on me!

They have a sound-though feature which enable sounds to pass through and I use this at work so that I can hear people behind me, and sometimes when running to listen for traffic. It works well unless very windy when you get a lot of wind noise. Battery life seems good, I use them on and off most days and store them in their case and don’t seem to charge them often. Although expensive, I would recommend them...

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Anyone tried the RHA Trueconnect?

Not too many reviews yet but most seem good
    Bumping this up - after a bit of research I think I'm going for the RHA TrueConnect. Seems to be pretty good and crucially half the cost of the Sennheiser - which look great, but I do not want to fork out nearly 300 quid.

What did others purchase out of curiosity....

Craftsman
    I am looking for some truly wireless earbuds and will be going for the RHA option. I've had wired RHA (MA150s I think) and they were great. The quality was really good, but more than anything the major selling point is a 3 year no quibble warranty. Really easy to take advantage of and I think I swapped mine for a fresh pair 4 or 5 times. I can't blame that on the product really - I travel a lot and constantly scrunch earphones up so however much I spend the same issue of one dead earphone seems to crop up. You can have peace of mind with RHA when shelling out £150 from my experience.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using TZ-UK mobile app

Tried the rha but turned them.

Sounded good but couldn't get a comfy fit for more than a few minutes and the button presses are super mushy.

Might fit someone else's ears better though obviously.

I've gone back to a £25 pair of Anker or aukey (not even sure which) with a joining cable while I wait for other options

Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    I am looking for some truly wireless earbuds and will be going for the RHA option. I've had wired RHA (MA150s I think) and they were great. The quality was really good, but more than anything the major selling point is a 3 year no quibble warranty. Really easy to take advantage of and I think I swapped mine for a fresh pair 4 or 5 times. I can't blame that on the product really - I travel a lot and constantly scrunch earphones up so however much I spend the same issue of one dead earphone seems to crop up. You can have peace of mind with RHA when shelling out £150 from my experience.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using TZ-UK mobile app
    The biggest 'issue' with RHA is there is no way to update the TWs via software as they do not have an app. Any updates need to go via the manufacturer, so what you get is what you get - which isn't per say a bad thing btw.

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Tried the rha but turned them.

Sounded good but couldn't get a comfy fit for more than a few minutes and the button presses are super mushy.

Might fit someone else's ears better though obviously.

I've gone back to a £25 pair of Anker or aukey (not even sure which) with a joining cable while I wait for other options
    Thanks for the feedback - always the thing with non custom moulded earphones. I'll mull over today and maybe put an order in. I guess no harm in trying them.

RHAs usually come with a huge amount of interchangable ear tips of varying types (Trueconnect comes with 10 I think) so you can get a decent fit pretty easily - probably just a case of trying a few to check best fit?

I’ve had a couple of pairs of wired RHAs for years - MA350 budget plus T10 premiums and they have been absolutely brilliant. My son is hard on phones so we’ve have to use the 3 year exchange on his MA350s and RHA were brilliant with these, latterly swapping out for the newer MA390s, which he still has and loves.

Master
    I’ve tried umpteen wireless headphones including Sony, B&O, Sennheiser, Nakamichi, Anker, JBL. All have failed within a few weeks/months. I am often flying 3 weeks a month, so I spend a lot of time with these things stuck in my ears.

I am now on the Jabra Elite 65T. Brilliant. Also the best fitting (and therefore sound isolating) and their software is nice.

Best sound quality was a tie between the Nakamichis and Sennheisers (both were corded wireless). The Jabra is very close, but scores higher because of the equaliser and sound pass through functionality that can be on/off.

Don’t waste your time and money trying the others... just get the Elite 65T and be done with it.

One thing: it is worth getting a set of memory foam Compeed ear buds for the best comfort/sound isolation.

Craftsman
    After years of Bose wired in ears I’ve just bought my first pair of Soundsport Free, when they were reduced in the Bose store to £129. Am pleased with them, they work great running and walking. Connection is stable, sound quality is..... good.... but i will be honest I expected a little more.... they don’t have a lot of weight on the low end. Top end detail is excellent though.

I got these as I don’t like sound isolation when running, I need to hear my surroundings, which these do well but leave all the detail I need for music. Also sound isolating phones mean every time your foot hits the ground it ‘thumps’ in your ear too!

So as exercise in ears I would recommend highly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tobetobes View Post
    After years of Bose wired in ears I’ve just bought my first pair of Soundsport Free, when they were reduced in the Bose store to £129. Am pleased with them, they work great running and walking. Connection is stable, sound quality is..... good.... but i will be honest I expected a little more.... they don’t have a lot of weight on the low end. Top end detail is excellent though.

I got these as I don’t like sound isolation when running, I need to hear my surroundings, which these do well but leave all the detail I need for music. Also sound isolating phones mean every time your foot hits the ground it ‘thumps’ in your ear too!

So as exercise in ears I would recommend highly.
    The Elite 65Ts solve this problem as they have switchable passthrough. So sound isolation only when you want it. And perfect for running.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    The Elite 65Ts solve this problem as they have switchable passthrough. So sound isolation only when you want it. And perfect for running.
    Only problem with passthrough is wind noise.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Ahh. Now that would’ve been useful to know!