closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Dead 2

Red Dead 2

I know there are a few gamers here, though not too many gaming threads, but I wondered if anyone else is currently wandering the prairies, forests and mountains of Red Dead Redemption 2?

I started RDR2 on release day and I'm currently eschewing the main story missions in favour of exploring the map. I have unfortunately settled into a rather bad pattern of killing and looting and, especially worryingly, the stealing of hats as mine keeps falling off and disappearing!

I've already died in many interesting ways at the hands, or should that be paws, of Grizzlies, Cougars, Alligators and indeed my own horse! I've been run over by wagons and trains (and wagon trains) and fallen off various things, but I have to say I'm having a great time!

I'm wanted in virtually every territory with bounties of around $300 each, so I'll have to start robbing a few more valuable targets if I'm ever going to pay those off, or perhaps find some gold once I progress a little through the story and have a fence to sell it to.

So if there are any other Arthur Morgans out there, how are you liking life in the old west?

Master
    I am loving it but I am only upto chapter 2 but wow what a great game but it is absolutely massive sometimes I don't know where to go next as I find myself going to a certain location but on the way riding past an old derelict building and I just can't resist going to have a look and of course it's full of people wanting to kill me! I love the treasure maps but they are quite hard to follow when all you get is a drawn picture of a few rocks!!!!

I really want to get that white Arabian horse but it is almost impossible to catch and very easy to lose sight of!

It is easy to get distracted en-route as there's so much going on!

I rescued a woman tied-up on the back of this guys horse (got a very snazzy bowler hat from him once I'd gunned him down), she'd obviously been kidnapped, she fell off his horse, still tied, when I shot him so I picked her up and was promptly reported for kidnapping myself by two passers by! I've rarely done any good in this game so far and perhaps this is why!

By the way, always check the chimney in both derelict and other houses that you may have ahem! accidentally wandered into, there can be some good stuff hidden there!

Master
    Been thinking about getting this as I found the first one quite entertaining but this sounds as if it’s much better. Presently fighting my way through The Last of Us Remastered so when this is finished I might take the plunge.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Been thinking about getting this as I found the first one quite entertaining but this sounds as if it’s much better. Presently fighting my way through The Last of Us Remastered so when this is finished I might take the plunge.
    The last of us is superb check out the trailer for the last of us 2 it looks stunning, as for Red dead you will love it just get it I think it is a truly stunning game and the open world is the best I have ever seen!

I'd definitely recommend it. I was a big fan of the first one and this has the same feel but it's much, much bigger and visually way more impressive.

The gameplay is broadly the same but they have added some roleplay type elements in that you have to look after yourself by eating and sleeping etc. and also look after your horse, feeding cleaning and grooming are essential apparently!

This is the first Red Dead game I’ve played and I’m loving it. I’m in chapter 3 at the moment but am taking my time with the story. I’ve been around the entire map apart from the area around Strawberry. I’ve managed to kill a couple of legendary animals and catch a legendary fish. I’ve successfully robbed a store in St Denis without getting a bounty and have paid off more than a few bounties at various post offices. I’ve stolen and fenced a few carts and coaches and failed miserably to rob a train on my own. I was able to catch the white Arabian horse and am up to level 4 bonding with it. I’m going to hunt down a few more legendary animals before I carry on with the story.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    This is the first Red Dead game I’ve played and I’m loving it. I’m in chapter 3 at the moment but am taking my time with the story. I’ve been around the entire map apart from the area around Strawberry. I’ve managed to kill a couple of legendary animals and catch a legendary fish. I’ve successfully robbed a store in St Denis without getting a bounty and have paid off more than a few bounties at various post offices. I’ve stolen and fenced a few carts and coaches and failed miserably to rob a train on my own. I was able to catch the white Arabian horse and am up to level 4 bonding with it. I’m going to hunt down a few more legendary animals before I carry on with the story.
    Damn I haven't hunted a single legendary animal yet and I really want that big fish did you get it at the icy lake where the white horse was, and do you have any tips on how to catch it does it need to be caught in a specific place?

Craftsman
    Im' slightly obsessed with this - imo the best game possibly ever made. I'm upto chapter 6 but think I've missed alot of side missions out.

Top tip - you can find your lost hat in your horses satchel (hidden in one of the inventories - I think lower right side of the horse tab)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    Damn I haven't hunted a single legendary animal yet and I really want that big fish did you get it at the icy lake where the white horse was, and do you have any tips on how to catch it does it need to be caught in a specific place?
    That's where I found the horse but it threw me off and I couldn't find it again. I killed the legendary bison at the same lake

Why is this game literally everywhere in shops? Even in the tiniest of tesco expresses or sainsburys local and there's a huge stand there with it where there have never been computer games before.

It is like Alexa? Some government subsidised monitoring system they want to make sure is in every household? MK Ultra brainwashing visuals? Subliminal audio?

Master
    RDR2 looks amazing. I'm hoping that this one makes it to PC, as I simply can't stand shooting on a console controller

I caught the legendary fish at the start of chapter 3. I have both the legendary fish and animals maps so it’s fairly straightforward to find them. The system seems to be consistent, you reach the area, use tracking to find the first sign, follow the trail to 3 more signs then see the animal. Once you kill it, you skin it then take the skin to the trapper. The extra parts can be crafted into talismans by a fence.

The white horse took a lot of patience. I crouched down and approached very slowly. I made sure to calm it as soon as it got aggitated. Once I got close to it I calmed it then patted it a few times. I then got on and rode it until it stopped bucking. It helped to catch it in a fairly open space. I watched a friend on Twitch catch it in a rocky area. He got bucked off when it got to come rocks. He did it slightly differently from me in that he caught the horse with the lasso.

Going to get this at Christmas with spider-man. Currently playing God of war and loving it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Looking forward to this when it drops to sub £20. Graphics look excellent and I love an open world.

Especially when the missus say, "after this games finished can you just do xxxxxx".

Just sent Witcher 3 back to cex.com Wrung that one OUT!

Only 20 hrs into Skyrim so far (next on the slate)

I'll catch RedDead2 on the bounce, in a few hundred hours or so....

Both my sons are playing this and are super happy with it. I have not been allowed to have a go, even though I paid for it, I did watch one son playing it for 5 minutes, looks amazing.

I work most of the time, but if I get time I play forza horizan 4, not played it much but it is fun.

This game is the best I have ever played.

I used to have Last of Us in that spot which is incredible too.

I'm loving this game. It's not quite as good as the latest Zelda IMHO but I'm only 20 hours into it so let's see later. I like the relatively slow pace and the open world is huge

Gutted, wife offered to pay for my preorder as a bday gift. Great I thought! She’s only kept hold of it and wont give it to me until Tuesday!

Master
    Sounds like a Far Cry type of game? Always blows my mind how large these maps are. Do they have some sort of scenery generator code, or do people actually sit there drawing it all?

I can only imagine what they’re working on for release in years to come.

I showed my son one of the games from my childhood on YT the other day, blue max on the C64. The puzzled look with “what, you played that?”

I am about 40% through this at the moment, it is a serious time vacuum (be warned!)

I absolutely loved the treasure hunts, I have completed 3/4 so far (I think) I have spent countless hours scouring the maps and riding around trying to find rocks in a certain formation or attempting to climb/jump to a ledge to find the next clue, when you finally get your hands on the treasure I feel a sense of achievement (which is very sad I know)

The stories/missions are ok, quite good fun but as always with these games I get more enjoyment exploring, the level of detail blows me away every time I play it

I find the endless riding from town to camp a little tedious and although the quick travel map at camp helps it really could be better (perhaps something in your inventory to access at all times

Sometimes I just spend a few hours playing poker or fishing, like I said a ridiculous waste of time, I love it

Grand Master
    When anyones finished with the PS4 version, first dibs please
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I am about 40% through this at the moment, it is a serious time vacuum (be warned!)

I absolutely loved the treasure hunts, I have completed 3/4 so far (I think) I have spent countless hours scouring the maps and riding around trying to find rocks in a certain formation or attempting to climb/jump to a ledge to find the next clue, when you finally get your hands on the treasure I feel a sense of achievement (which is very sad I know)

The stories/missions are ok, quite good fun but as always with these games I get more enjoyment exploring, the level of detail blows me away every time I play it

I find the endless riding from town to camp a little tedious and although the quick travel map at camp helps it really could be better (perhaps something in your inventory to access at all times

Sometimes I just spend a few hours playing poker or fishing, like I said a ridiculous waste of time, I love it
    I am loving the whole experience but I have a treasure map but they are almost impossible to find from those drawings as the map is massive!

I am loving the whole experience but I have a treasure map but they are almost impossible to find from those drawings as the map is massive!
    I have managed so far but it has taken some serious time!

If you scour the map you can usually find clues to what you are looking for, for one map I had a drawing of a particular rock and I happened across it whilst on another mission

When you get to approx 1000 hrs of playing it you will know the place like the back of your hand ;)

Master
    I have managed so far but it has taken some serious time!

If you scour the map you can usually find clues to what you are looking for, for one map I had a drawing of a particular rock and I happened across it whilst on another mission

When you get to approx 1000 hrs of playing it you will know the place like the back of your hand ;)
    Haha you're right i just won't rush this game as I love the whole experience and the times when you are alone in the wild exploring an old building :)

One thing though I just can't get that deadeye working at all!

Dead Eye doesn't work properly until the end of chapter 2. Once it is working, you activate it with R3, using the stick to move the crosshair then press R1 to paint the target. You can repeat this for the number of bullets your weapon can fire then press R2 to fire. The weapon then automatically fires at each of the painted points.
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 10th November 2018 at 12:17.

Haha you're right i just won't rush this game as I love the whole experience and the times when you are alone in the wild exploring an old building :)

One thing though I just can't get that deadeye working at all!
    I find there is quite a few glitches, deadeye is pointless as the fight scenes are quite easy anyway, my weapons/horses change or disappear frequently and in cinematic mode I am forever running off the path and straight into a tree all of a sudden!

The game gets better with a few $ in your pocket so try and get a bit of gold, I won't give any spoilers but there are a few places you would never think of looking

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    When anyones finished with the PS4 version, first dibs please
    This is a long and time consuming game,you may have to part with that £50!. Well spent tho.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    This is a long and time consuming game,you may have to part with that £50!. Well spent tho.
    I think I’ll be doing just that once COD is finished again!

RIAC

Craftsman
    I think I’ll be doing just that once COD is finished again!

It's gonna clash with Battlefield 5 tho isn't it,same dilemma here but went for it.

Just re visiting Xbox after a couple year break, COD online was my thing but gave up because everyone is cheating with modded controllers and the like. I’ve just started COD ww2 any it’s ok but I’ve been wondering about red dead2 looks like I’m going to have to buy it.

I’m only just getting started really. On chapter two but mainly just having a scout around and doing some bow hunting.

I am a very good few hours in now and think it's great!

It did take me a few hours to get my head around the pacing. In my ignorance, I was expecting a different kind of experience and I was originally disappointed.

I do find the resolution a bit iffy though. I have a PS4 Pro and HDR LG TV and when compared to other games this one doesn't really cut the mustard!

Journeyman
    Great game.
    I've given up wearing a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin67 View Post
    Great game.
    I've given up wearing a hat.
    Ha me too!

Master
    After finishing The Last of Us just ordered Red Dead 2 so here’s hoping it’s as good as you all say!

Journeyman
    After finishing The Last of Us just ordered Red Dead 2 so here’s hoping it’s as good as you all say!
    Took a little time to settle into it. The training & introductory story were just starting to drag for me. Now the game has opened up and it is vast.

....I get more enjoyment exploring, the level of detail blows me away every time I play it

I find the endless riding from town to camp a little tedious......
    I really enjoy the riding around and exploring, I can recommend a trip to the top of Mount Shann, the views are incredible!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Last of us is IMO the best game ever made. I don’t get a huge amount of time for game playing nowadays but have managed to play that through about 3 times now. All 3 of my kids are hugely into RD2 and are obsessed with it, it does look amazing.

My only issue is I really don’t like open word games, I like a nice linear game that like Last of us that takes me on a journey but pushes me there. If there are too many choices I end up getting bored/lost and kind of end up wandering aimlessly not doing much. I know they are considered the gold star of gaming just not sure they are for me (didnt like the GTA games at all!)

I killed a legendary ram and caught a legendary smallmouth bass today.

Grand Master
    Picked it up
    Today.

So play the story’s first? Then it
    Opens up?

RIAC

Picked it up
    Today.

Opens up?

Yes it won't be long before you are scrapping in the saloon

Quote Originally Posted by thefatboy View Post
    I really enjoy the riding around and exploring, I can recommend a trip to the top of Mount Shann, the views are incredible!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Cheers I will have a look, the tedious bit I referred to is the riding to and fro the camps and towns to follow the story, I much prefer the exploring

Picked it up
    Today.

Opens up?

The first couple of hours of play, bascially chapter 1, are linear. Once you’ve completed these it becomes completely open world.

Master
    Is a subscription service needed on both PS4 and Xbox one to play this game?

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    I play completely offline and find it fine

The single player game can be played without subscription. I don’t know how the multiplayer expansion will be handled when it is released. In the game you can sign up to the Rockstar Social Club to join crews and connect with friends.

Master
    I play completely offline and find it fine
    Is that with PS4 or Xbox?

Is that with PS4 or Xbox?
    Xbox one