closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Which colour GMT hand?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • You've been Tango'd

22 28.95%
  • Ice cold

12 15.79%
  • Leave it alone you tit..

42 55.26%

Thread: Poll: Modifying a Polar Explorer II

Master

Poll: Modifying a Polar Explorer II

It's a funny thing that a small detail can put you off a watch you'd otherwise be perfectly happy with.

For a while now I've liked the idea of an Explorer II polar dial 16570 and I've tried one on many different occasions, but the thing that's always stopped me is the red GMT hand. I just don't like it.

Even worse, I think it may just be the fact it's a gloss red finish rather than matt; as the combo of stark white and red has worked for me in the past, for example Alaska Project Speedmaster.

There's always seemed to be more of an acceptance of modification of, say, Speedmasters than Rolex models - even threads about cyclops removal seem to have become a thing of the past. Nevertheless, I can't shake the idea that the ExpII would be perfect if only the GMT hand were orange rather than red, as per the original 1655 and of course the newer 216570. (someone will, at this point no doubt, chip in to say that the very early 1655 hands were supposedly red not orange; however I think it's fair to say it's the orange hand which has become synonymous with that model).

For a while then, I've had the notion to pick one up with the view to having the GMT hand re-painted; or rather, sourcing a spare hand and keeping the original as is so it can always be reversed if needed. I haven't yet bought the watch, but when a dial and handset popped up on SC recently I nabbed them on a whim.

I had a little play on photoshop and while doing so it struck me that instead of orange it might actually look quite cool if it was white. I'd probably even go as far as putting it on a white rubber strap if I went with that option..

Note: I've added option 3 just to satisfy those masochists who're appalled by the very idea, but still couldn't stop themselves from clicking on the thread..

Option 1:

Option 2:

Option 3:

And if I went white...

Master
    White looks awful, but I'd be happy with either the orange or red. And do whatever you please, it's just a watch. People treat them as if they're irreplaceable pieces of art.

Master
    I think it looks pretty cool with the white option and what's the harm if you put the original one back one before selling. Go for it!

Master
    Mine has the black face and red hand. I don't mind it. Tbh I wouldn't know where to start if I wanted to replace the hands or face. Sounds expensive and a bit of a 'goat dance' to me and what about the hassle of pressure testing?

Craftsman
    I'm very much of the opinion that you can do whatever you like with your own watch.

I do have a personal preference to leaving watches (and other stuff) as the designers intended. From your mock-up though I actually prefer the red to the orange, but I wouldn't do it personally.

And a big NO from me on the white!

Craftsman
    If you could match the white of the GMT hand to the dial it would work for me.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Interesting to see this post as I've sometimes felt the same about the black face - it looks good with the red hand but every time it's covered by the minute hand it looks even better. I'd quite like a black hand on black dial combo but I wouldn't have the courage to actually do it unless I knew I could change it back easily. This would mean having a good relationship with a trusted watchmaker and keeping the original hand, which then means somehow sourcing a spare GMT hand. Otherwise you'll more than likely destroy the value should you ever decide to sell. But anyway, with the white dial I think white on white looks a bit girly TBH but orange works rather well, if you did decide to go for it.

The orange gmt hand does look rather cool, I would be tempted. But not the white, that just looks odd imho.
    J

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

For me the orange hand on the Explorer II is what makes it quirky, a little out of the box for Rolex.

The red option, works as well... But white, I guess everyone to their own..

Master
    Not keen on the white or orange but if you could source a red date wheel then sublime...

Last edited by Captain Morgan; 9th November 2018 at 13:19.

Master
    I like the orange option a lot. I quite like the white, actually. Red - no. I don't like it.

Master
    I’d go orange and get rid of the cyclops too

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Blue. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Interesting to see this post as I've sometimes felt the same about the black face - it looks good with the red hand but every time it's covered by the minute hand it looks even better. I'd quite like a black hand on black dial combo but I wouldn't have the courage to actually do it unless I knew I could change it back easily. This would mean having a good relationship with a trusted watchmaker and keeping the original hand, which then means somehow sourcing a spare GMT hand. Otherwise you'll more than likely destroy the value should you ever decide to sell. But anyway, with the white dial I think white on white looks a bit girly TBH but orange works rather well, if you did decide to go for it.
    Yep I agree, the white on white looks a tad girly. Love the Orange. The black on black with a white tip or orange tip would look the Rottweilers dangly bits and macho.
    But definitely use a spare hand so it can be reverted to original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    That watch face needs a little colour so not white, just pick your favourite, mine would be blue.

Master
    Definitely option 1 which IMHO looks fantastic in the mock-up, and probably would look even better in the flesh.

The wrist shot with the white GMT hand and strap wouldn't look out of place over on the Bamford Watch Department website, and might just work if aimed at women or even those in warmer climes.

Craftsman
    Orange looks goods and gives it a modern feel.

Craftsman
    Actually think the white looks pretty cool and in my view makes the watch look very modern.

Orange looks good and add an orange strap, the white looks really cool and would be my favourite.

I voted white because I find GMT hands distracting. The white makes it less visible and easier to read the main time at a glance.

Journeyman
    The white looks lovely, but I would thicken up my skin for people telling you that you have a fake watch if I were you :|

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I voted white because I find GMT hands distracting. The white makes it less visible and easier to read the main time at a glance.
    I'm with the white also. Same reason as above.

I think the orange set it’s off the best and would be my choice

Orange looks good but I’m happy with standard red..

Saying that have you tried photoshopping the hand black so everything is black and white, could be called the Mono Explorer or Ska Explorer.. I’ll get my hat!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Love something different as have a Black Explorer 2 with polished not brushed bezel which always get attention.......

Surely Michael Korrs already make watches like that?

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I like the white, it hides the hand nicely. Have you looked at blue? A baby blue would look good with the white dial.
    It's your watch, do whatever makes you happy.

I went orange, I think that is a really nicely subtle mod.
    If there were a button for that I would also urge leaving the white rubber alone altogether...
    Dave

Master
    Orange for me. Or just get 42mm explorer 2.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    I don’t see a lot of difference between a red and orange hand so sticking to the original for me..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I went orange, I think that is a really nicely subtle mod.
    If there were a button for that I would also urge leaving the white rubber alone altogether...
    Dave
    Haha, there’s been a few comments about the white rubber - I should have said that would be a strictly Summer only option. Wore both my black dial Milgauss and my 1655 on a white rubber during the heatwave (remember that!?) and it somehow seemed more fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Orange for me. Or just get 42mm explorer 2.
    I tried one of the newer 42mm explorer 2’s when the first came out but it’s lug to lug measurement is huge and it looked way too big on me.
    Last edited by gcleminson; 10th November 2018 at 12:07.

Craftsman
    I like the white actually!

Master
    Why on earth mess with it, sacrilege, LEAVE it alone.

Journeyman
    Given there must be tens (or 100’s ?) of 1000’s of non-altered versions out there, I reckon the world can stand losing one to experimentation - go for it! I think the orange version looks sharp. And why not lose the cyclops whilst you’re at it...

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Have always thought that orange would look better than red on both the black and white dialled 16570s.

Apprentice
    For me, if I miniaturise those images down to about the size of a watch at normal viewing distance, the white one requires a double take to spot which one is the GMT hand. So on legibility grounds I'd exclude it.

If Rolex actually offered both red and orange, based on photos I'd probably lean towards the orange. But since they don't, I don't think the difference between them justifies modding the watch.

The world would be very dull if we all had the same tastes though, so if you find it much more pleasing with an orange GMT hand, go for it.

Master
    I never quite liked the red on the Polar Exp II when I had it but I do like that orange.

The white, especially on the white strap, makes it look a 50quid fashion watch :(

Leave it as it is please