closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: JLC vs Rolex....Thoughts

Blog Entries

JLC vs Rolex....Thoughts

Right, here goes boys, and I am sure this will generate some ............

A pair that I am interested in and have the possible ability to purchase are a brand new Jaeger LeCoultre Reserve de Marche and a few year old BLNR. The Rolex could be half as much again as the JLC making it on par with the RRP of the new JLC, not what I have a new one on offer at, so quite a bit more.

I sold my last JLC two years ago and is a big regret, for those having not owned a JLC, they are 'the watch makers watch' for a reason... simple quality and detail. The BLNR is nice, in fact very nice, but its no 16710, a chav maybe with its glitz and polish to some.

So, what would you choose??????

Pitch

Blog Entries
    You’ve already chosen Paul 😂

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    You’ve already chosen Paul 
    Awwww, and you with your jet black hair and mul.......

The JLC is in a different class from the Rolex, IMO.

There’s not much crossover between the brands really imho. Difficult comparison to make. No point me saying which I think as it’ll just be personal pref that’ll decide for you

Very different watches.

But I'd take the BLNR due to being far more functionally and visually interesting.

JLC make some cracking watches, but that one really does zero for me.

Craftsman

Jlc

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    The JLC is in a different class from the Rolex, IMO.
    No one would disagree on the quality of JLC, one of the great watchmakers ever and I would say that a few years ago they were at their peak of desirability, with the Compressor models, Reverso and the superb heritage tribute deep sea chronograph and alarm.

They have however appeared to have fallen off a cliff in regards to there current position within the market place at this present time with a very generic range of lacklustre designs. This is a company with a back catalogue of some of the greatest watches ever made but with the demand for sports watches ever increasing the best they came up with was the Polaris, the equivalent of a BMW or Mercedes, well made but bloody boring to look at.

Not a fan of the BLNR but at this moment that would be the choice.

Should have listened to your uncle dave
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    I have a sneaking suspicion you already know which one you want.

If its about the residuals, as it seems to be a lot these days, then the Rolex.

For me it would be an easy choice and it would be the JLC as i consider it to be altogether a different level and quality.

Those two watches couldn’t be further apart in style so it is a difficult comparison, for me it would be the Rolex, Jlc does nothing for me at all, but it’s your money.

Craftsman
    If i was in the position to choose between the two...JLC every time. Rolex do not come close for me.

Craftsman
    JLC everyday. I had a master geographic (which I sold on here) which I regret parting with. They really are a step up from Rolex.

Master
    In what way are JLC of higher quality? I haven't seen that on the models I owned. They're certainly not as reliable or tough. Or as accurate.

Do you love the JLC or love the idea of JLC?

If it doesn't stick, you'll take a hit, if it does stick, eventually you'll have the pleasure of interacting with the JLC servicing department, who don't seem to have the greatest of reputations.

Master
    A year back when I tried on a few JLCs of that type I must admit I was pretty underwhelmed. I thought the dials quite bland and, although I'm no fan of heavy watches, I also found them a little light on the wrist.

Of Rolex's current GMTs though, I would choose the black bezel over any other colour. For me it's the most elegant and least blingy of the lot, and the green GMT hand the pick of the bunch.

I have no experience of JLC but I do love my BLNR. PCLs really are scratch magnets though. I don't think it's as bling as it seems in pictutes. I've worn it out a few times and nobody has commented on it. I think it's only us who notice watches nowadays!

BLNR any day of the week but I think I'd have the bracelet brushed. I have zero interest in the JLC though.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    I have a 1954 Rose Gold JLC Powermatic which I only use as a dress watch, so now a days since being retired, that means no use at all.

The one downside of JLCs is their servicing arrangements. They strictly hold on to their spare parts so as you have to go back to them. About 5 years ago the winding knob fell off along with the connecting shaft and it had to go back to JLC for a service.

They insisted on doing a full service and the bill came to just over £1200 which was a bit eye watering.

I love the 'idea' of JLC as mentioned above and have come close to buying one a few times, but the nightmares I've read on here about getting one serviced have always put me off, maybe I'm wrong, please tell me if this isn't the case, I'd love a JLC dress watch like one of the Moon phase models

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    In what way are JLC of higher quality? I haven't seen that on the models I owned. They're certainly not as reliable or tough. Or as accurate.
    It used to be said that JLC was Patek quality at a Rolex price. That's not true anymore if ever it was. And God help you if you need service from Richemont.

Pity, I've always hankered after a Reverso.

Master
    i had a JlC Night and day Reverso and still have a Polar Exp II. that JlC was stunning in the details but I love the Exp II which is why I still have it but my heart belongs to JlC esp the Reversos, the Master series and the Memovox.

Craftsman
    Hoping to get a Day/night Reverso in a few weeks, won't be replacing any of my Rolex and am worried about ever having to send it back for a service after reading the horror stories.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Servicing issues rule JLC out for me.

Rolex = chav.

JLC= connoisseur.

Just decide which you want to be.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Craftsman
    I like JLC but not that model.

Rolex do it for me but my collection of modern SS sports Rolex is big enough.
    [Note to self; get 250 posts ]

So I'd pass on both.

YMMV

jambobbyb
    Last edited by jambobbyb; 22nd May 2019 at 10:27.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Rolex.
    Now please say that in your Jonathan Ross voice
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by luddite View Post
    Rolex = chav.

JLC= connoisseur.

Well, somebody's got to be the Chav. Wonder where that word derives from? Apparently it's been in use since the middle of the 19th century. And, apparently, you have to be young, maybe under twenty.
    So that let's most people on TZ off the hook.
    Last edited by paskinner; 9th November 2018 at 15:23.

Quote Originally Posted by luddite View Post
    Rolex = chav.

JLC= connoisseur.

Rolex Cellini definitely not chavs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Well, somebody's got to be the Chav. Wonder where that word derives from? Apparently it's been in use since the middle of the 19th century. And, apparently, you have to be young, maybe under twenty.
    So that let's most people on TZ off the hook.
    Out of interest a very quick google gave me:

Origin

1990s: probably from Romany chavo ‘boy, youth’ or chavvy ‘baby, child’: sometimes said to have originated in Chatham, Kent, and to be a shortening of that name.

I had always known of it as the romany until the early 00's when I heard the acronym Council House And Violent.

There are a few 1900's references to the romany so i assume thats the likely source.

It’s a shame that has been your experience as I don’t believe that is generally true. Certainly I don’t believe that Rolex make anything quite like this, and specified at +/- 0.5spd.

https://youtu.be/-p-2mQTCR6E

Both fantastic makers, JLC more for the complications, elegance and rarity, Rolex more for consistency and simplicity IMHO. I have one of each and I’ve travelled all over the world with my JLC, so no worries about robustness there (accepting that it isn’t a dive watch of course).

Nice choice to have

Craftsman
    Both very different watches, so depends very much what you’re after.

I have both brands (not same watches though) and jlc is very high quality, in a different way to Rolex. Jlc is very elegant, detailed and traditional workmanship, could be equated to a piece of artwork. I haven’t experienced their servicing yet, which i’m a bit concerned about having read this.

Rolex on the other hand is solid, highly engineered, reliable etc.

I’d say get the one you like the most right now!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    Both very different watches, so depends very much what you’re after.

I have both brands (not same watches though) and jlc is very high quality, in a different way to Rolex. Jlc is very elegant, detailed and traditional workmanship, could be equated to a piece of artwork. I haven’t experienced their servicing yet, which i’m a bit concerned about having read this.

Rolex on the other hand is solid, highly engineered, reliable etc.

I’d say get the one you like the most right now!
    +1, agree with this on all counts. I too, have both brands and they both mean different things to me.

Get the watch you want the most!

Journeyman
    I have the Master Compressor Chronograph and the Daytona and the Daytona' s staying.......

I suppose it comes down to how much you love the watch in question as the heart rules the head with these decisions.

I've had four JLCs and more than twice that number of Rolexes. I wouldn't count myself as a "fan" of any brand but based on my own experience with JLC and their service (and attitude to customers) I will never have another. Of my four watches, three had problems when newish and the standard of service/support from JLC was unbelievably poor. I have never had a single problem with a Rolex that wasn't standard servicing in the nearly 30 years of ownership.

I want to like JLC as i think some of their designs are beautiful and they have been a fabulous watchmaker but I just can't bring myself to deal with a company whose (my own experience only) products are so fragile and who treat their customers with borderline contempt. I realise my experience is probably a little extreme as they would be out of business by now if they treated all customers like me but I've made my own judgement on them.

It's still a nice problem to have though OP :-)

Blog Entries
    Cheers fellas, much appreciated thoughts.

This is a head vs heart decision and fortunately I have a great one in Mrs P who has made the decision very very easy for me.

Have enjoyable weekends all.

Ta
    Pitch

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

This is a head vs heart decision and fortunately I have a great one in Mrs P who has made the decision very very easy for me.

Ta
    Pitch
    Don’t leave us hanging like that....

What’s the decision??

Must be a new Kitchen

Ta
    Pitch
    That sounds like she's either said you can have both or the money needs to go elsewhere and you're having none

Blog Entries
    Hehehehehe, cheers guys.

New kitchen last year and in the middle of a bathroom refit at the mo (which I have been grafting my conkers on), so probably as I am being one hell of a husband, which I am and she IS (eyes roll) punching above her weight, she is being very nice to me.

Pitch

Hehehehehe, cheers guys.

New kitchen last year and in the middle of a bathroom refit at the mo (which I have been grafting my conkers on), so probably as I am being one hell of a husband, which I am and she IS (eyes roll) punching above her weight, she is being very nice to me.

Pitch
    The Mrs will probably pinch the BLNR to bling her outfit and you’ll get your JLC

Had a JLC master compressor memovox and the bracelet is exquisite! Though Rolex’s marketing tactics are 2nd to none...

Hehehehehe, cheers guys.

Pitch
    Where did I go wrong?
    I have tiled & grouted the hall, kitchen/diner, utility room, downstairs cloakroom & snug, floors. Kitchen wall and cloakroom splash back.
    I got myself a Field Engineer Chronograph. Admittedly I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both. A JLC Deep Sea Tribute (Alarm) and a host of vintage Rolex inc a 1665.

For me the Rolex is a bit more special and certainly more robust, but you cannot question the quality of the JLC.

However the real kicker for me is that to get most of my Rolex service costs about £500 where as the JLC would cost over a grand.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche