closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Are they having a laugh?

Master

Are they having a laugh?

This thread might cause a bit of stick because it’s . . . . . Another Rolex thread. If so just ignore it.

Just can’t believe the price, it’s gone mad - £19,950 for a Daytona. They obviously think someone will pay it.

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/...94/item/124325

It’s not even new

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Well, it does have stickers.

Craftsman
    Nope, they've got a degree of hold over the market and are taking advantage of that position, if they hold much of the stock they'll just push the prices up to see how far they can go. The only solution is to buy what is available and preferably new - from an AD, or don't participate at all.

This bubble is effectively ruining the watch collecting hobby for us mere mortals.

Craftsman

Laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    This thread might cause a bit of stick because it’s . . . . . Another Rolex thread. If so just ignore it.

Just can’t believe the price, it’s gone mad - £19,950 for a Daytona. They obviously think someone will pay it.

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/...94/item/124325

It’s not even new

Watchfinder have been having a laugh for quite sometime and the need it now crowd have been feeding this comedy that is Rolex secondary pricing. The white dial Daytona does appear to be the one to have of the two and seems to turn up less frequent but just like the Pepsi pricing etc, these kind of prices are not sustainable. Not sure how much credit facility Watchfinder has on its books but with the amount of stock they currently have it would maybe be wiser to reduce some pricing and get stock out the door.

Trust me someone out there would bite the bait. That’s what’s driving the insane prices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Watchfinder have been having a laugh for quite sometime and the need it now crowd have been feeding this comedy that is Rolex secondary pricing. The white dial Daytona does appear to be the one to have of the two and seems to turn up less frequent but just like the Pepsi pricing etc, these kind of prices are not sustainable. Not sure how much credit facility Watchfinder has on its books but with the amount of stock they currently have it would maybe be wiser to reduce some pricing and get stock out the door.
    They are part of the Richemont group now so don't think their "credit facility" will be an issue.
    Last edited by johnnyhayward; 8th November 2018 at 19:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman LMAO View Post
    This bubble is effectively ruining the watch collecting hobby for us mere mortals.

Only if you insist on collecting desirable Rolex watches. There’s plenty of great, much cheaper watches available.

these kind of prices are not sustainable.
    I wouldn’t be so sure about that!

Master
    Since many (non-WIS) Rolex buyers judge desirability by price, I wouldn't be surprised if jacking the price up means they sell even more!

Probably bought in about £13k.

Master
    £20k and you can’t even tell the time.

I have noticed the silly price GMT’s aren’t selling now over on TRF. Day they came out some nutter paid $20k for one and even posted saying he didn’t even know why he bought it! There’s been one in the sale section for a while now, still stupid money but it as much as the initial lunacy and not going anywhere.

And how about this one, its sheer madness.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f30/fs...a-4810607.html

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Sanity may prevail though, that as is 3 weeks old. At time of launch they were over $20k and it would have sold instantly, now they’re sitting around at $18k

Quote Originally Posted by kinyik View Post
    Trust me someone out there would bite the bait. That’s what’s driving the insane prices
    It would be quite some hangover the next morning when reality kicks in.

The reliability of Rolex as currency means that they are by now the number 1 choice for moving money across borders. They are as good as cash.

I think there's more to the grey prices than simply a load of chavs have to have them.

Everyone says the bubble will one day burst. I don’t see this happening in the near future anyway seeing as to how Rolex isn’t about to ramp up their production 10 fold to meet the 100 fold increase in demand.

Quote Originally Posted by kinyik View Post
    Everyone says the bubble will one day burst. I don’t see this happening in the near future anyway seeing as to how Rolex isn’t about to ramp up their production 10 fold to meet the 100 fold increase in demand.
    But most of the hundred fold in demand is purely to move them on at a profit.

If they increase production ten fold it would eliminate the 100 fold brigade in an instant … and leave Rolex in Breitling or Tag company.

I saw a Rolex in the window of Goldsmiths in Leeds the other day, £19k also, can’t think which model now, it was a two-tone one. They also had a yacht master on the rubber strap for about £11k, a few two tone Datejusts for about £8k and some OP’s for around the £4K mark. I’m back there next week, gonna have a look to see how many of that lot are actually left. There’s a Preston’s opposite but their Rolex range is poor, they seem to get much more interest in the Tudor’s from what I can tell - they have most models, brand new.

Makes the black one at £16,250 seem somewhat of a bargain.

Craftsman

WF buy in

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Probably bought in about £13k.
    Not sure Ally if WF would even pay £13k buy in price if my experience with my Daytona 16520 white dial is anything to judge by. Full set with everything including booklets, swing tags etc and RSC service, a watch which they are currently selling at £42k, offer to me was £14k possibly £15k.

I think the days of WF being the best place to sell your watch are over, have noticed a significant change in buy in pricing and selling prices, they are getting more like Chisholm Hunter every week.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    The reliability of Rolex as currency means that they are by now the number 1 choice for moving money across borders. They are as good as cash.

I think there's more to the grey prices than simply a load of chavs have to have them.
    Yep, huge potential for thieves and crooks to launder money etc. It can also be used as a hedge, I for one, would rather hold a Daytona than the equivalent amount in GBP at the moment!

Oh, so you've noticed? Second hobby of mine to have gone up the tubes.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Oh, so you've noticed? Second hobby of mine to have gone up the tubes.
    Out of interest, what was the other?

Master
    The market always finds its own level. If the demand is there, it will sell. If it is overpriced, it will stick, simple as that.

Master
    My favourite Daytona is the 16520 Zenith Daytona. They are now £20k. I was on the waiting list for one back in 1998. The retail was £3600 but they were trading at £7000 due to there being the usual waiting list which was quoted at 5 years but was more like 7 years. I missed the boat as it got discontinued before I could get one. I resorted to buying one a few years later at the inflated price. The price now is out of reach of most people and to be honest, very disappointing to see all of the massively over inflated prices.

Watchfinder are not really responsible, yes they are trying to get what they can, but Rolex can roll these and other sports models out to every retailer if they want to. But they dont because they are the limiting supply to create hype, demand and sky high prices. Rolex than can therefore have complete control over the market and raise prices at will.

Journeyman
    Let's see how quickly it sells.

Craftsman
    That is just silly.

It's now into Royal Oak Chrono territory.

& to think a the fool that I am sold a Dec 2017 WG Daytona for £22K
    Last edited by Van Diemen; 9th November 2018 at 13:08.

Quote Originally Posted by clockwatcher View Post
    My favourite Daytona is the 16520 Zenith Daytona. They are now £20k. I was on the waiting list for one back in 1998. The retail was £3600 but they were trading at £7000 due to there being the usual waiting list which was quoted at 5 years but was more like 7 years. I missed the boat as it got discontinued before I could get one. I resorted to buying one a few years later at the inflated price. The price now is out of reach of most people and to be honest, very disappointing to see all of the massively over inflated prices.

Watchfinder are not really responsible, yes they are trying to get what they can, but Rolex can roll these and other sports models out to every retailer if they want to. But they dont because they are the limiting supply to create hype, demand and sky high prices. Rolex than can therefore have complete control over the market and raise prices at will.
    Don't see how Watchfinder will be influencing prices Worldwide, so no, of course it's not them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyhayward View Post
    They are part of the Richemont group now so don't think their "credit facility" will be an issue.
    Coincidentally they’ve given a half year update:

Richemont’s luxury jewellery sales pop

Swiss luxury group Richemont (CFR.VX), which owns brands like Cartier and Montblanc, reported first-half results on Friday.

Sales were up 21% to €6.8bn in the six months to 30 September. Operating profit dipped by 3% to €1.13bn due to acquisition costs. Clothing sales surged by 433% in the half, boosted by Richemont’s takeover of online luxury retailer Yoox Net-A-Porter, which completed in May. Jewellery jumped by 15%.

“Excluding Online Distributors, sales growth was primarily driven by strong performance of the Jewellery Maisons and double digit increases in the Maisons’ directly operated boutiques and online stores,” chairman Johann Rupert said in a statement.

But Rupert also mentioned “growing volatility in consumer demand, partly attributable to an uncertain economic and geopolitical environment” and sales growth in September was weaker than expected. Shares were down around 6% in early trade.

Out of interest, what was the other?
    Ancient beads.

You think Rolex price increases are crazy?

I stopped checking prices on nine eyed dzi once they past half a million dollars
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    At today's exchange rate that's £14,175. There's a dealer on eBay asking £14,850 - nearly 5% more.

Master
    I think the days of WF being the best place to sell your watch are over, have noticed a significant change in buy in pricing and selling prices, they are getting more like Chisholm Hunter every week.
    Last WF accounts were to 31 March 2017.

Sales £86.7m with a gross margin of 17.3%.

Stock was £22.8m - so c 3 months sales.

Main funding was £10.5m of medium term bank loans.

I suspect that the figures for the year to 31 March 2018 will be even more "healthy".

Craftsman
    Some guy had one on the bay yesterday (116500) with a white face for £23500

I have just checked and he has reduced now to £20,000 plus 50 postage 👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawbreaker5000 View Post
    Some guy had one on the bay yesterday (116500) with a white face for £23500

I have just checked and he has reduced now to £20,000 plus 50 postage 

There does seem to be a huge "hope" premium in eBay asking prices and then new listers use those as their benchmark! I'd love to know what the various scarce models actually change hands at.

Journeyman
    Some muppet just listed new PEPSI here for $27,500. Was bought overseas so he would have paid 10 - 20% less than retail and thus tax free....and is selling for 3 x purchase price...”a fool and his money are easily parted”.
    Sadly, it is this situation that prevents genuine buyers from getting access to such pieces.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Don't see how Watchfinder will be influencing prices Worldwide, so no, of course it's not them.
    I was not suggesting worldwide prices. I was referring to WF's advert!!!

Quote Originally Posted by clockwatcher View Post
    I was not suggesting worldwide prices. I was referring to WF's advert!!!
    You said they weren’t responsible (for high prices presumably). I was agreeing, just pointing out that this was obvious.

Journeyman
    The 116500 Daytona seems to be hyper-inflated everywhere else too to be fair; it starts at about £15k on Chrono 24 as well.

Seems ridiculous that people are willing to pay well over the RRP for a still in production watch, but I guess the price is what the market will bear.

Master
    When you consider what the aquanaut and nautilus are selling for, it is not surprising that the Daytona is being advertised at £20k now.

This has always been the watch that was one of the most difficult to buy at RRP even when others were selling below RRP (I remember a few years back a nautilus sitting on SC below RRP)