closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Garage Doors: Hormann sectional vs SWS SeceuroGlide Roller

Garage Doors: Hormann sectional vs SWS SeceuroGlide Roller

I know we have a few experts here, opinions would be welcome!

I've been informed Hormann provide the 'better' sectional door, whereas SWS provide the 'better' roller door. Question is, which to go for?

• Sectional will require room overhead to retract, whereas the roller only requires a ~350mm internal box above the door
    • Roller will require a few inches on the door opening as part of fitment, whereas the sectional doesn't therefore the sectional offers a marginally spacious entry path

Neither of the points above make or break the decision so far. Aesthetics of course plays a part.

Are there any core differences?

Me personally, I'd go with the roller for, as you say, the aesthetical difference.

Master
    Myself and at least 3 neighbours have Hormann sectional doors and have never had a problem with them.

All look good even though some are now getting on a bit.

FWIW: I've had roller doors and now have a sectional (Hormann) and the latter 'feels' more robust overall.

Both locations are subject to strong winds face-on to the garage and the slats on the roller were a bit noisy in bad weather, not so the sections on the Hormann.

There's more metalwork involved on the sectional, the rollers are more neater viewed from the inside.

Other than those points there's probably not much either way, choice of finish/colours would be the primary motivator if I were buying again.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Sectional for me.

I prefer the asthetics of them from the exterior and they look sturdy from the inside.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Me personally, I'd go with the roller for, as you say, the aesthetical difference.
    Interesting, as the consensus seems to be that most think the sectional type look better. All personal preference of course...

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    FWIW: I've had roller doors and now have a sectional (Hormann) and the latter 'feels' more robust overall.

Both locations are subject to strong winds face-on to the garage and the slats on the roller were a bit noisy in bad weather, not so the sections on the Hormann.

There's more metalwork involved on the sectional, the rollers are more neater viewed from the inside.

<PIC>

Other than those points there's probably not much either way, choice of finish/colours would be the primary motivator if I were buying again.

R
    Very helpful indeed! I had not considered the wind noise aspect, and as you say, the larger chunkier sections of the sectional (!) would appear to be less 'rattly'.

I'm assuming now you have had sectional, you wouldn't go back to roller? What made you switch from roller in the first place?

EDIT: additionally, in your helpful pic, I see the strip light above. Presumably the door clears this comfortably when open. We have a strip in almost exactly the same place and were concerned about relocating it or placing it further 'up between the batons rather than ON the baton. Basically, was the installer concerned at all with the presence of that light?
    Last edited by cman; 4th November 2018 at 13:02.

I’ve got a roller door and haven’t noticed it as being noisy at all. I personally prefer the neater finish of the roller with just a box above the opening. The slats on mine are made of ali and filled with insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    I'm assuming now you have had sectional, you wouldn't go back to roller? What made you switch from roller in the first place?

EDIT: additionally, in your helpful pic, I see the strip light above. Presumably the door clears this comfortably when open. We have a strip in almost exactly the same place and were concerned about relocating it or placing it further 'up between the batons rather than ON the baton. Basically, was the installer concerned at all with the presence of that light?
    Due to the build of this garage a roller system would have protruded below the opening and there's no concern about the strip lights as although they are close to the opened door they're LED so no heat issues.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    I can’t really comment on the different brands as I’m not sure what make my roller shutter is...

But I can make a few comments re roller shutter v sectional.

I have an internal roller shutter, so it rolls on the inside of the garage, it’s insulated, has been up for around 15 years, and has not given me a single problem. It’s noisy in operation in that it clatters on start up as the slack is taken up in the slats.
    When open it doesn’t block my garage lighting, and because it’s fitted inside, the internal side runners are also inside so I get the full width of the openning if that makes sense.. it seals extremely well, and if I’m in the garage with the door shut, there is no telltale light around the edges of the door. If I had to replace it, I’d go with a roller shutter again.
    I also think the roller shutter is a little more secure than a sectional

My neighbour that has an identical garage to me, has a sectional, he’s had a bit of trouble with it over the years, the worse being that in hot weather, the garage door expands, and the motor isn’t powerful enough to drag the door open or closed. He has to do it manually.
    His door also when in the open position blocks much of his strip lighting, and as he like to work on bicycles, he has to have the door shut to see what he’s doing.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I’ve got a roller door and haven’t noticed it as being noisy at all. I personally prefer the neater finish of the roller with just a box above the opening. The slats on mine are made of ali and filled with insulation.
    The garage we had them on had rather wide and high doors so perhaps that was a contributory factor.

R

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Due to the build of this garage a roller system would have protruded below the opening and there's no concern about the strip lights as although they are close to the opened door they're LED so no heat issues.

R
    Thank you - will have keep that in mind if we go for sectional: either change the light type to LED, or move it.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I can’t really comment on the different brands as I’m not sure what make my roller shutter is...

But I can make a few comments re roller shutter v sectional.

I have an internal roller shutter, so it rolls on the inside of the garage, it’s insulated, has been up for around 15 years, and has not given me a single problem. It’s noisy in operation in that it clatters on start up as the slack is taken up in the slats.
    When open it doesn’t block my garage lighting, and because it’s fitted inside, the internal side runners are also inside so I get the full width of the openning if that makes sense.. it seals extremely well, and if I’m in the garage with the door shut, there is no telltale light around the edges of the door. If I had to replace it, I’d go with a roller shutter again.
    I also think the roller shutter is a little more secure than a sectional

My neighbour that has an identical garage to me, has a sectional, he’s had a bit of trouble with it over the years, the worse being that in hot weather, the garage door expands, and the motor isn’t powerful enough to drag the door open or closed. He has to do it manually.
    His door also when in the open position blocks much of his strip lighting, and as he like to work on bicycles, he has to have the door shut to see what he’s doing.

Hope that helps.
    Very helpful, thank you! A really valid point regarding the blocking of light whilst the door is fully open. Whilst we have windows are the rear - opposite the proposed garage door - light is definitely a consideration! Your comment regarding being more secure I think is also correct, as the SeceuroGlide Excel roller type from SWS boasts about being the first garage door to obtain Police and Insurance approval (whatever that means these days).

Garage Doors: Hormann sectional vs SWS SeceuroGlide Roller

Mine like Enochs is fitted to the inside, is around 3.5m wide and the only time I found it noisy when shut is if it isn’t fully shut, by that I mean that although when the bottom rubber hits the floor its needed an adjustment to make sure that the motor unrolled a few more inches to ensure that each slay was tight against the one before/after. This sort of locks all the slats tightly together.
    Last edited by IAmATeaf; 4th November 2018 at 16:14.

I’ve had 3x sectional Hormanns installed, all the 40mm-ish insulated models.

Chosen as I figured four sectional “joints” would be less trouble and more stable than the couple dozen on a roller; in 20 years use honestly can’t fault them.

Blog Entries
    Had both over the years and now have up and over IMO sectional every time especially in the looks department just to add mine were on a double garage and never had an issue with contraction or expansion i just think that roller doors are a little “ industrial” but agree that positioning or maybe repositioning of lighting could be an issue.

Master
    Mine and my neighbours doors

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Mine and my neighbours doors

I have the door on the left side and can confirm that they are problematic in the summer due to expansion.

Master
    I went with a roller for space reasons. With a work bench, shelving and lighting a sectional would not allow me to work with the door up in a standard single width garage. No issues with wind noise that I’ve noticed.

Craftsman
    I have two of the SWS compact roller doors. I went with the roller over the sectional mainly because of the blocking out the light when open.
    I had to go with the compact as I was installing under the lintel and reveal fit. I couldn't afford to loose the length off the garage if I went for face fit.
    They are very well made and mine came with the Somfy control and motors. These are very reliable and I have fitted the Somfy Connexion RTS so I can control the door from my phone through an app. The door will open when I get to about 150 metres from home. This can be changed.
    Very pleased with them.
    This is the only picture I have from the inside.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Roughly how much would a door like either of these cost, say for a single garage door?

I had a made to measure electric sectional Hoorman door (somewhere between and single and double door). Insulated, good quality, fitted with mechanism etc. If I remember correctly it was somewhere between 1.5 and 1.7 last Christmas.

We're moving house at the moment and wouldn't hesitate to get another.

The light comment made by someone else above is valid but if we were that bothered we could just move the light. Wouldn't stop me buying another if I needed a door.

Craftsman
    I paid just over £1300 per door but that included the extras, which was the Somfy motor and control, colour of the door and the full top box and frame in the same colour. I then paid £500 for fitting both doors, new soffit and a trim I wanted. He also disposed of the old doors.
    Maybe not the cheapest out there but I was happy! Brother in law fitted his own he bought for about £600 and I can see the difference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk