closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex for the common people

Master

Rolex for the common people

I wonder what your thoughts are about regarding the still expensive entry level watch. I am thinking of getting the other half one and I know, I should have bought it before the recent price rise. My only requirement is it should be 34 or above. This is since she “took” my seadweller and prefer the size.

I was looking at the 39 Oyster Perpetual and would prefer the new dial colour. The obvious contender is the datejust, which opens up the option of a jubilee bracelet. I am staying away from the fluted bezel for the moment. Then it got me thinking. I could have the Air King or the Explorer for similar money. I am sure she will go with my decision.

So if it is your money, which one will it be?

I feel the Explorer would be a much better long term bet - it’s the more sport/professional model. If you wanted more dressy, or even just the benefit of a date, then it would be the DJ for me.
    It's just a matter of time...

I’m not sure I understand the title.

Surely this is the Rolex for ‘common people’ as you so eloquently put it?

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 4th November 2018 at 08:52.

I think quite simply the title refers to watches the average person can walk into an AD and buy at the minute!
    It's just a matter of time...

I know it seems just a tiny detail, but the double markers at 3 6 9 on the OP36 make a difference when the watch is seen from a little distance, somehow gives the watch a handsome je ne sais quoi. That together with the red or white grape colours, mmm yum.

(Photo from here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?p=4661613)
    Last edited by Der Amf; 4th November 2018 at 09:15.

I recently purchased a Oyster Perpetual 39 (black dial) and have found it to be perfect all rounder for everyday wear. I did consider a Explorer for a while but was not keen on the smooth bezel and some how it felt bloated in size. The AK is far to busy in my opinion and i find the dial layout and colours not to my taste (subjective).

I love the simplicity of the dial on the OP along with how the lugs seem to taper into the bracelet, in my opinion it just works and is one of the better designs Rolex have released in the last few years.

Here is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I think quite simply the title refers to watches the average person can walk into an AD and buy at the minute!
    Fair enough. So with the removal of ‘average person’ and ‘common people’ I get that he means models that are readily available on the high street.

Thank you.

boring_sandwich - that is beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I’m not sure I understand the title.
    The average UK salary is over £27,000; the Oyster Perpetual 36, £4,100

If the average person wished to amend their priorities, this is well within the possible, though perhaps not the advisable. But, on a watch forum, sensible perspectives are, thankfully, long forgotten....

I picked up an OP 39 last year, blue dial. It's a beautiful and understated watch. No sparkly bezel and no cyclops, so it doesn't shout Rolex. Extremely accurate. The AD ordered it in from London, it arrived within a week and they even gave me a discount (without me asking).

Very chuffed with it.

https://timeandtidewatches.com/wp-co...al-39-KD-6.jpg

Rolex for the common people

I’d be asking your other half. I’ve learned from experience not to guess what my wife likes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

If the average person wished to amend their priorities, this is well within the possible, though perhaps not the advisable. But, on a watch forum, sensible perspectives are, thankfully, long forgotten....
    Thanks. I would not defend the price that Rolex is asking. I remember that when I first started buying watches, it is because I like them rather than what they represent. However there is no doubt the dominant position that Rolex has in the sector, helped by their publicity and popularity.

I bought a bi-colour datejust for the other half and a seadweller not so long ago and I can't even buy an Oyster Perpetual nowadays for that kind of money.

It’s not often we agree, but here we are.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I’d be asking your other half. I’ve learned from experience not to guess what my wife likes.
    This.
    I thought it would be nice to buy Mrs Beanie a watch to celebrate her, ahem, significant birthday. As she wears Ice watches of many different colours, I started by pointing her towards various Omega and Tag Heuer offerings (quartz grab and go and a bit shiny), she surprised me by choosing a Rolex OP with the grape dial!
    Just take her shopping and let her decide.

This! looking at pics she prefer a 36 blue dial....... walked out the store with this! (Pink 34!)

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    This.
    I thought it would be nice to buy Mrs Beanie a watch to celebrate her, ahem, significant birthday. As she wears Ice watches of many different colours, I started by pointing her towards various Omega and Tag Heuer offerings (quartz grab and go and a bit shiny), she surprised me by choosing a Rolex OP with the grape dial!
    Just take her shopping and let her decide.

I know it seems just a tiny detail, but the double markers at 3 6 9 on the OP36 make a difference when the watch is seen from a little distance, somehow gives the watch a handsome je ne sais quoi. That together with the red or white grape colours, mmm yum.

(Photo from here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?p=4661613)
    I wouldn’t normally go for a plain bezel, but that combination works so well, very nice.

I just hear this when reading the title and someone is going to link to it so it might as well be me!!

https://youtu.be/yuTMWgOduFM

Journeyman
    I have an OP39 with grape dial and it’s a great everyday watch, so comfortable I forget I’m wearing it sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Correct...would have never picked this for my wife but she loves it.

Be careful. My other half ‘borrowed’ my 17000 years ago and then when I got her a vintage Air King she decided that she liked having the choice of two...which wasn’t my plan.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    OP 39 Rhodium dial is great value for a Rolex (relatively speaking obviously..) I’d take that over the AK any day - far to many numbers on the AK for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 36mm datejust punched above its weight for sure .

Love this, and also (perhaps even more) the equivalent in white.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I recently purchased a Oyster Perpetual 39 (black dial) and have found it to be perfect all rounder for everyday wear. I did consider a Explorer for a while but was not keen on the smooth bezel and some how it felt bloated in size. The AK is far to busy in my opinion and i find the dial layout and colours not to my taste (subjective).

I love the simplicity of the dial on the OP along with how the lugs seem to taper into the bracelet, in my opinion it just works and is one of the better designs Rolex have released in the last few years.

Here is mine.

Journeyman
    I would go with an Explorer 36mm great dial...

Craftsman
    Being of a certain age mrs Gettinon had difficulty with a TT champagne dialed datejust midi and replaced it with a 34 OP with grape dial. It just looks so "right". Proportions spot and understated, she loves it.

That is a seriously nice watch. Didn't understand why the white dial seemed to get all the hype on launch from hodinkee & co.
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post

Here is mine.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    My OH got her first proper watch, black dial 31mm OP, just before the rise. Classic elegance, super accurate and robust - she loves it!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianwong View Post
    Love this, and also (perhaps even more) the equivalent in white.

Really smart in white. For the money you can’t go wrong

Master
    I always thought that a Rolex for the common person was a Tudor. Oh well....live and learn.

I have a mate who bought the 34mm. Outrageous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossmore10 View Post
    Really smart in white. For the money you can’t go wrong

Master
    One of the best things about Rolex is that they only work to one, high, standard. The least expensive model will still have the same precision and build-quality. The same durability and finish. This is what makes the 'basic' models such good value. They are, in the core features, every bit as good as the most expensive. Can't be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    I always thought that a Rolex for the common person was a Tudor. Oh well....live and learn.
    Imagining having a chat with some guy chosen at random in the Castleford Morrisons.

"Good afternoon, sir, would I be able to interest you in a Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36? Water resistant to 100m, certified accuracy, available for you to take away this very instant."

"Oh, that plain black one does look nice. How much is that then?"

"Just £4,100"

"Get over, you must be mad. You think someone like me has that kind of money?"

"I beg your pardon, sir. I know what, how about this Tudor Black Bay? No Rolex prices here, just a good honest watch."

"And how much is that one?"

"£2,630"

"Come on, Margaret, let's see if they've got the mince pies in yet. Two thousand bloody pounds? It's not even showing the right date."

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    One of the best things about Rolex is that they only work to one, high, standard. The least expensive model will still have the same precision and build-quality. The same durability and finish. This is what makes the 'basic' models such good value. They are, in the core features, every bit as good as the most expensive. Can't be bad.
    Ha, ha, ha, a luxury brand watch good value, now that, that is funny

Master
    Imagining having a chat with some guy chosen at random in the Castleford Morrisons.

"Good afternoon, sir, would I be able to interest you in a Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36? Water resistant to 100m, certified accuracy, available for you to take away this very instant."

"Oh, that plain black one does look nice. How much is that then?"

"Just £4,100"

"Get over, you must be mad. You think someone like me has that kind of money?"

"I beg your pardon, sir. I know what, how about this Tudor Black Bay? No Rolex prices here, just a good honest watch."

"And how much is that one?"

"£2,630"

"Come on, Margaret, let's see if they've got the mince pies in yet. Two thousand bloody pounds? It's not even showing the right date."
    Coffee all over the desk...!

I do hope you’re not stereotyping the good folk in the People’s Republic of West Yorkshire? Or people that shop at Morrison’s?

Surely in this comparison you’d be comparing the OP with the Glamour Date at £1800.00 ish? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Coffee all over the desk...!

I do hope you’re not stereotyping the good folk in the People’s Republic of West Yorkshire? Or people that shop at Morrison’s?

Surely in this comparison you’d be comparing the OP with the Glamour Date at £1800.00 ish? ;)
    Rest assured, I have shopped in the Castleford Morrison's on multiple occasions. Good range of bread.

Very fair point about the Glamour Date, dammit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Ha, ha, ha, a luxury brand watch good value, now that, that is funny
    In the context of Rolex pricing it is good value. You can always play the 'you get get an accurate watch for £30' card, but it misses the point. You can always get a cheaper anything.....

Craftsman
    Rest assured, I have shopped in the Castleford Morrison's on multiple occasions. Good range of bread.

Very fair point about the Glamour Date, dammit.
    Who knew watch-spotting in Morrisons was an actual thing?! I may have to start helping the missus with the weekly shop....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

MrsV has a 36mm datejust which she's nuts for. ^
    I think they're more of a favourite with women than the OP/Exp models as they're less austere.
    That said, the 36mm OP that Der Amf suggests would get my vote behind the DJ.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I have a mate who bought the 34mm. Outrageous.
    The latest Bark & Jack post on Youtube featured a white dialled one. I was really surprised at how well it looked.