closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: AP Royal Oak anyone?

Master

AP Royal Oak anyone?

Okay so a few weeks ago I show my wife a Royal Oak in blue (stock internet photo) which she doesn’t like - she is quite into watches. I tell her I like it and maybe one day . . . . . Fast forward to last night about 10 - 10.30pm and we’re on the tube having just left Andrea Bocelli at the O2. I point a watch out to her and ask her what she thinks - she thinks it’s stunning/great presence. I tell her it’s the blue AP I showed her a picture of . . . . Stranger the guy opposite the guy wearing one also has the same watch (blue as well).

I’ve never seen one before in the flesh, I’ve now seen two and I like it.

Firstly anyone got one? Great to see a pic if you have (any colour).

Secondly are they buyable? Or is the blue a ‘daytona’ or ‘Nautilus’ type watch?

Cheers.

I've heard that the 15202ST (the 39mm, extra thin model) in blue is fairly tough to get your hands on but not to the same extent of Nautilus, Daytona, Pepsi levels.
    Seen a couple in the flesh and think they are rather nice. A more 'masculine' alternative to the 5711 and cooler (to me) as the original Gents designed luxury sports watch.

It’s a beautiful thing. The 15400 wears quite large at 41mm, though.

Craftsman
    Im a big fan of the AP and regret not purchasing one when I had the chance. The blue dial is the boutique addition and as has already been said you can expect a wait to get your hands on one. When i was looking at getting one the AP boutigue in Las Vegas stopped taking deposits for the blue dial on the 11th January this year and had only received one blue dial at the time of my visit (March). So certainly not 5711 length waiting times.

The black, grey or white dials are fairly easy to get hold of (usually a 4-6 week wait) at most AD's
    Last edited by Gerald Genta; 3rd November 2018 at 17:34.

If only the bracelets had micro-adjust!

Master
    Here’s the 36mm 14790ST with blue dial. It has the thin profile of the 15202ST in a size that works for slim wrists and wears large due to the octagonal bezel. It used to be the more attainable one, inevitably lately that’s less and less true. On the bracelet, you can get a 1.5 link from AP but even then you have to be lucky with the fit. Lovely things, though the 15400ST is quite oversized compared to the original, unless you have large wrists. No such problem with the 15202ST, and the older 15300ST is another option if you can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Okay so a few weeks ago I show my wife a Royal Oak in blue (stock internet photo) which she doesn’t like - she is quite into watches. I tell her I like it and maybe one day . . . . . Fast forward to last night about 10 - 10.30pm and we’re on the tube having just left Andrea Bocelli at the O2. I point a watch out to her and ask her what she thinks - she thinks it’s stunning/great presence. I tell her it’s the blue AP I showed her a picture of . . . . Stranger the guy opposite the guy wearing one also has the same watch (blue as well).

I’ve never seen one before in the flesh, I’ve now seen two and I like it.

Firstly anyone got one? Great to see a pic if you have (any colour).

Secondly are they buyable? Or is the blue a ‘daytona’ or ‘Nautilus’ type watch?

Cheers.
    I love the "Jumbo" without a second hand. I really can't justify it though, as I already have a steel Nautilus, no money, and a hankering for something else entirely - which I also can't afford at the moment!

I believe they are a boutique-only watch, and quite difficult to get hold of.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/in...jumbo-complete

Journeyman
    Here’s my 15202 - had it about 2 months now and have to say I love it. Thought the lack of second hand maybe an issue, but it’s no problem.

The dial also changes depending on the light, so I find myself constantly looking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks all - great replies and fantastic pics.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If you can stomach the price...........

https://www.acollectedman.com/collec...oyal-oak-jumbo

Stephen, a word of warning, its a slippery slope when you start looking at the upper echelons of the Horology world ;-)
    AP is a superb manufacturer and produce some awesome timepieces, most of which sadly, are way too big for me.
    I am already looking forward to seeing it! LOL

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Stephen, a word of warning, its a slippery slope when you start looking at the upper echelons of the Horology world ;-)
    AP is a superb manufacturer and produce some awesome timepieces, most of which sadly, are way too big for me.
    I am already looking forward to seeing it! LOL
    Ha ha early days Tony . . . . But who knows eh. I’ll of course let you see it first :-)

Craftsman
    No well not yet anyway, I put my name down a few months ago and was told to expect a 2 year wait for a 15202st

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have a 15202ST (39mm blue) & a 15450ST (37mm white).

Prefer the fit of the 15450 on my skinny wrist. Both watches wear on the larger side due to the case shape.

I tried on the 15400 but it’s simply too big for me.

Journeyman
    I never really understood the appeal of these, until I saw one in the flesh. They really are lovely. I'd very much like to have one in my collection, at some point in the future!

I have a black dialled 15300 and it really is a fabulous watch. Prices for the 15300 with any colour dial appear to be going only one way and going that way very very quickly. I would suggest getting one whilst you still can if seriously interested, you won't regret it.

Craftsman
    Looks very nice but I don't think I could cope with the lack of a second hand. I don't own a watch without a second hand, I like to see something moving so I know it's still working lol

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer2016 View Post
    I never really understood the appeal of these . . . . . . . .
    Neither have I.

After the RO was launched I bought a "Huitième" in preference because I thought (and still think) it was infinitely more elegant . . . . .

But then, I'm a heretic: I can't see the attraction in the Nautilus or the Daytona either

Luckily, it takes all sorts to make a community . .

I suppose in this day and age when the nautilus appears to be harder to get than striking a lottery the RO has its place as a high end sport watch.

Master

AP Royal Oak anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by kinyik View Post
    I suppose in this day and age when the nautilus appears to be harder to get than striking a lottery the RO has its place as a high end sport watch.
    Well I’m glad that you suppose that the original high end sports watch that invented the whole category of high end sports watches has its place! How reassuring...

Sure AP UK are quoting a while on both 15400ST blue and 15202ST.

I prefer the 41mm variant but then I have quite a large wrist.

I’m lucky enough to own my AP grail and a 41mm RO with a difference, pics taken over lake Neuchâtel while staying at Palafitte last week while visiting Audemars Piguet and Renaud & Papi

Master
    Like the designs or not, they are beautifully made and this jumps out at you when you put one on your wrist.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Sure AP UK are quoting a while on both 15400ST blue and 15202ST.

I prefer the 41mm variant but then I have quite a large wrist.

I’m lucky enough to own my AP grail and a 41mm RO with a difference, pics taken over lake Neuchâtel while staying at Palafitte last week while visiting Audemars Piguet and Renaud & Papi

Your're a very lucky man, that is also my grail watch. One day!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    Your're a very lucky man, that is also my grail watch. One day!
    Thank you, I’ll be honest post purchase I did a few watches off as they just didn’t get a look in!

Hopefully next year will see another AP grail arrive fingers crossed.

Master

Here’s my Royal Oak I got in October of this year was around a 16 months wait but now is over 3 year +

I’ve owned pretty much most Nautilus and sport watches but Inlove the 15202 the best.

Master
    Stunning watch, one which I aspire to own some day. That said 39mm looks a bit big....!

So much more elegant than some of the other watches they design

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Stunning watch, one which I aspire to own some day. That said 39mm looks a bit big....!

So much more elegant than some of the other watches they design
    My wrist is like 6inch super thin, like a child’s so don’t use it as a benchmark

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post

Here’s my Royal Oak I got in October of this year was around a 16 months wait but now is over 3 year +

I’ve owned pretty much most Nautilus and sport watches but Inlove the 15202 the best.

That looks stunning mate!

I could easily wear the 15400 - someone put my name forward to a guy he deals with at a boutique and I thought I might get somewhere, but haven't heard back so looks like that's a non starter. Oh well next time I'm in London I'll enquire myself.

Craftsman
    I have the 15300 blue dial. just the prrfect size imo. unfortunately it is a scratch magnet. here is a pic of mine after a very minor brush on the door of an elevator. A bit of a character, otherwise a perfect watch.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I got my 15300or back recently from a service, dial and strap change (previously was white dial and brown strap)

Master
    I just remembered posting this thread about 16 months ago after reading about ‘expression of interest’ on another thread earlier.

So . . . . . Nearly a year and a half later I find myself up in the big smoke having left scone, jam and cream land for a couple of days . . . . And find myself in Harrods. First chance to try on a RO, albeit a rose gold version. It was a stunner though.

Anyway like you do I ask about availability of a blue 15500 or blue 26331 and I’m asked to fill out an ‘expression of interest’ form. I ask if there’s any likelihood I’ll get a call about one and I’m told these are boutique only watches, high demand, no timescales, but I will get a call.

Will that be:

A. Next 3 years.
    B. Never.

P.S. I did buy a sarnie in the food hall and a drink so I like to think I’ve now got spending history :-)

Sorry to be contrary
    I just couldn’t walk past a VC overseas for an AP though I very nearly bought a safari once...
    Probably puts me in a minority though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Sorry to be contrary
    I just couldn’t walk past a VC overseas for an AP though I very nearly bought a safari once...
    Funny you should say that but I wanted to look at one (they were about 4 metres away from AP) and couldn’t see one in there. Both sales people were busy so I didn’t ask to be fair.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Sorry to be contrary
    The VC and AP are on my grail list so I'd just try and buy which ever was in stock! I've kinda given up ever being allowed by the good lady to spend that amount of money on a single watch however!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz33 View Post
    Here’s my 15202 - had it about 2 months now and have to say I love it. Thought the lack of second hand maybe an issue, but it’s no problem.

The dial also changes depending on the light, so I find myself constantly looking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Brilliant!
    I had the luck to wear the original Royal Oak 5402 B series and it was just amazing. At the moment I would put the 15202 as my grail watch for sure...
    Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Funny you should say that but I wanted to look at one (they were about 4 metres away from AP) and couldn’t see one in there. Both sales people were busy so I didn’t ask to be fair.
    It’s funny how times change, I was trying to decide between the 15300 and the 15400 and was able to try both on in Harrods out the display. At that point the retail was just under £12k too.