The 4x4 of watches.
    That’s mine on SC today then.........hehehehe

Trust all is well buddy

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    That’s mine on SC today then.........hehehehe

Trust all is well buddy

Pitch
    Hello my friend, all good here. You? Haven’t t been around here much of late, have I missed much?

Master
    It took me some time to get over the look. However they are cheap, robust, excellent functionality. I wore one on my two-week holiday to California this summer, it was brilliant. No need to worry about loss, damage, theft.
    And on the question of looks: there are some pricey brands that leave me cold.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    The 4x4 of watches.
    Yes, that's very probably the truest thing that has been said about them. How many people have 4x4 vehicles? Lots. How many actually need 4x4s? and how many 4x4s actually leave tarmac? Very few. So just like most G-shocks and their owners!

Master
    The 4x4 of watches.
    Really, I’ve not noticed a significant increase of them in Chelsea

Blog Entries
    Hello my friend, all good here. You? Haven’t t been around here much of late, have I missed much?
    All good buddy.

Not much lately, Tony has a girly bike and up and about on my manly '69 Vespa .......

Ta
    Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Yes, that's very probably the truest thing that has been said about them. How many people have 4x4 vehicles? Lots. How many actually need 4x4s? and how many 4x4s actually leave tarmac? Very few. So just like most G-shocks and their owners!
    Yea, but...

...how many owners of Rolex Deepsea dive to 3900 meters ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Yea, but...

Can't argue with you there! How many owners of even 'lesser' (WR to merely 200m) dive watches ever get their watches wet???

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Can't argue with you there! How many owners of even 'lesser' (WR to merely 200m) dive watches ever get their watches wet???
    I sweat a lot, so, my watches are wet every fu*king day ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    If you are out and about doing boys things a good ole G is a no brainer.

Stick a Mudmaster on your wrist and all will become clear, very clear.
    My Mudman would mist up when I took a bath.

Switched to Seiko Kinetic for work about 7 years ago, and think the BFK is nicer, tougher and longer lasting than any G--Shock I ever owned.
    I bought a Sportura Kinetic to replace the BFK, but it was just too nice to abuse on a building site … and the BFK doesn't actually need replacing.

I zip it in a jacket pocket and put it through the wash a few times a year - Comes out like a new sixpence every time!

Craftsman
    When it comes to G shock, I differentiate between my 5610 and the rest.
    I came across the 5610 when I developed a craving for a vintage lcd watch, and realised I can have a new watch that looks like the original from 1984.
    This model is the one watch I would pick if I need to absolutely rely on the time and or need something that can stand some abuse.

The 5600 models have a reasonable size and are ok to read.
    A lot of other models would look rather comical on my wrist and still make it hard for me to deciver the sub dials.

Interesting enough, after over a decade of wheeling and dealing on the quest for the perfect watch set, it is the only watch I never consider selling (to be fair this might have something to do with its comparatively reasonable price tag as well)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Ha!

Master
    My G-shock is my daily wearer as I don’t give two hoots what I do with it on, it is bartered but still works, something nicer and I would be precious of it, but then I’m known to abuse watches.

There is zero charm. But there's a lot of this:

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    They do a job. Very well. Function over form.
    Lightweight, super comfortable and cheap, so a great watch for hiking / biking / running / camping / skiing / sky diving / kayaking down the Zambezi or pretty much any other outdoor or physical activity. I like having one (and only one) in my collection just for that reason. Personally I prefer the ProTrek models, G-Shock's big brother, because I think their look is somewhat less lurid.

I've also found it to be an excellent choice for travel abroad due to the high level of multiple time zone functionality. And yes, I know I could track two time zones more elegantly with a Rolex GMT, but when I travel to far-away places I prefer to leave the expensive watches at home. One less thing to worry about.

G-Shocks and their kin certainly are not everyone's cup of tea, but for some of us they have a useful place in our collections.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    G-Shocks and their kin certainly are not everyone's cup of tea, but for some of us they have a useful place in our collections.
    Until the battery dies - Then it usually works out cheaper to replace the watch.

I have a Casio Waveceptor in a drawer upstairs that ran flat years back. Sending it to Casio to replace the 5 batteries and re-seal the case was 2/3rds what the watch cost.
    I opted for a £35 high street job … the watch let in water and malfuntuned … hence in a drawer upstairs.

Gshoks are the shit. If you want digital alpha man watches.
    Oddly enuf we bought one for our 7 year old (frogman titanium sort of) and after one week it was broken. Cracked leaking quartz crystal...
    However, it got repaired under warranty, which I didn't think possible. I told the ad, hey, it's a gshock, they chuck these out of jumbo jets and under steam rollers... see what you can do.
    And casio replaced the movement amd display.
    So I told my son, its a casio, japanese, proper watch, not a toy. Break it again I'll strangle you.

0_0 ciao

Your 7 year old must have big wrists - every frogman is massive!

I've had G's a long time since I was in the Police at 19. I like them, they can withstand a lot of hardship along with their owners LoL!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't think they have 'charm' any more than a nice hammer or screwdriver. It is very much a tool.

I used to wear a nice watch for everything, then damaged a PRS-17c and gunged up a few rotating bezels in the garden

I now have a couple of paint-spattered, scuffed G-Shocks and save the nicer watches for nicer occaisions. An Omega could cope but as used prices for decent mechanicals go up, why take the risk?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Yea, but...

Yesterday I took my Sinn U1 to the very bottom of the washing up bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Until the battery dies - Then it usually works out cheaper to replace the watch.
    True. My first ProTrek (actually back then Casio called the line 'Pathfinder') was battery powered and replacing them was rather expensive.

Which is one reason why, when I eventually replaced it with the newer one pictured above, I opted for a solar model — stays fully charged all the time, charging mostly off of indoor ambient light. It also syncs nightly with the North America atomic clock. That's a nice feature, too.
    Last edited by Ray; 13th November 2018 at 00:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I've had G's a long time since I was in the Police at 19. I like them, they can withstand a lot of hardship along with their owners LoL!
    But but but g shocks didn't appear until the early 80s??? How did you manage that??
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    Gshoks are the shit. If you want digital alpha man watches.
    Oddly enuf we bought one for our 7 year old (frogman titanium sort of) and after one week it was broken. Cracked leaking quartz crystal...
    However, it got repaired under warranty, which I didn't think possible. I told the ad, hey, it's a gshock, they chuck these out of jumbo jets and under steam rollers... see what you can do.
    And casio replaced the movement amd display.
    So I told my son, its a casio, japanese, proper watch, not a toy. Break it again I'll strangle you.

0_0 ciao
    Booooobi fantastic, where are you??? You and mr1973 are two of my favourite tz'er!!! Why don't you post more often??? Basta hasta luego

Ps please don't strangle your 7 Yr old kid, wait at least until he is 11!!
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    But but but g shocks didn't appear until the early 80s??? How did you manage that??

The bartender says, “We don't serve time travelers in here.”

A time traveler walks into a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Whatever but just so you know the skx you traded has changed my life for better
    Sorry for hacking this post guys!
    I always think of you
    Uh uh uh

Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Your 7 year old must have big wrists - every frogman is massive!

I fit it round his neck
    With a leash

Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    I spent 31 years as a fireman & most of us had them. Super tough.

Wear my gw5000 all the time. Does it’d job perfectly. Gets bashed about at work but no bother
    Light for telling time in the night. Feels super comfy on.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jel999 View Post
    I spent 31 years as a fireman & most of us had them. Super tough.
    Firemen or G-shocks?

Craftsman
    Practical and such but ugly as sin and no charm really.

Grand Master
    Aesthetically, I think they’re horrible. Same with the little black Casio things (F91?)I own one and I wear it when working on cars or running, but I don’t even like sitting wround the house in it, it just feels wrong, like sitting around the house in grubby overalls. These things are the ultimate tool watches, great in the right setting, but not something to wear day to day...unless you want to look like a tool! A bit like big ugly trainers and 4x4 SUV things, chunky and clumsy looking, the antithesis of style.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 14th November 2018 at 21:47.

My M5600 is a refreshing break from the rest of my watches, a sort of antithesis. It lays claim to no charm whatsoever and invites no judgement.
    It isn't at all needy, requiring no protection from knocks, scratches or any kind of shit. It's inexpensive, so I can leave it laying around or in the bottom of a bag. It requires no forethought, is always ready and always on time. It offers no distraction from the task in hand and digital time, which is just more convenient where time related charges apply.
    One downside, with a handful of exceptions it leaves me struggling to justify much of the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Aesthetically, I think they’re horrible. Same with the little black Casio things (F91?)I own one and I wear it when working on cars or running, but I don’t even like sitting wround the house in it, it just feels wrong, like sitting around the house in grubby overalls. These things are the ultimate tool watches, great in the right setting, but not something to wear day to day...unless you want to look like a tool! A bit like big ugly trainers and 4x4 SUV things, chunky and clumsy looking, the antithesis of style.
    I think some of them are horrendous whilst some are somehow ‘just right’. I think ‘style’ is a very personal thing, some mechanical watches might be considered stylish by one person but not by another. I’ve always thought an Omega Speedmaster can make the owner look like a wannabe spaceman who falls for marketing fluff, more nerdy than stylish - like a lot of ‘iconic’ watches they’re too obvious (imho). Lots of watches look stylish on the right person, some look downright silly. My personal bugbear is enormous watches on little wrists. I can wear a 44mm Panerai or a Casio frogman relatively easily, with no excess strap and without the whole watch overhanging my wrist - but I saw a new Rangeman in a store last week and that thing is like a dinner plate, just daft. You’d have to be Andre the giant to carry that off!