closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japanese kitchen knives - who owns them?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk3y View Post
    I guess I don't know enough about knives to be tainted by brands. It seems that many members have good things to say about global so I am leaning more towards these! Maybe a black Friday or Christmas present for myself!
    It's entirely personal. There are members who've stated that a £5 knife from Tesco is enough. For them, it may indeed be the case. I started with victorianox, and have tried many different brands at many price points, be It global or otherwise. I'm a chef though, and as such it becomes about so much more than being sharp, I have to find something which doesn't feel like a chore to use in terms of how often it needs a proper sharpen vs putting it on a steel, or comfort, grip, blade profile etc. Robert Welsh were pretty damn close, amazing knives for the money, but i took the plunge and bought a kai shun and havnt looked back. If I was just cooking at home though, and dicing one onion instead of 40, then a victorianox would almost certainly have sufficed.

Craftsman
    I have a set of Globals plus another couple also. Got the set on offer at Aldi I think, the offer comes round now and again. I agree they seem to need sharpened fairly often, only ever used on a wooden board too. I use a mino three stage wet sharpener and it does an excellent job every two months or so. The knives don't get used every day tho'.

Master
    I have a Kin Santoku knife that was a Christmas present a few years ago. It's the Gordon Ramsay signature model (not that I'm a fan of his, but it was in stock when I ordered...). It is fantastically sharp and a joy to use with fantastic balance. I have a ceramic whetstone which has kept it sharp since purchase with minimal effort. It wasn't cheap but I would recommend spending money on a good knife if you are keen on cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Thejoker View Post
    i met the guy who sells I.O Shen knives a while ago. I know nothing about them other than he thinks they are the best! Anyway, some interesting info on his website:

http://ioshen.co.uk/

I also found the articles on chefslocker helpful
    I.O. Shen came out very well indeed in a knife test/review in the Guardian 2 or 3 years ago. Still more than I'd pay for domestic kitchen use.
    F.T.F.A.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    I snapped a Henckels knife doing a similar thing, sent it back with a letter mentioning "could of lost an eye" and a new one arrived in the post

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
    Might consider contacting them :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Must confess I am a wimp. For the mandolin, the potato peeler and the zester/grater, always use one of these:
    So do I; mercifully I already had one for opening oysters as I rather think the glove costs significantly more than the mandolin.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I was fortunate enough to be given a set of three carbon steel knives from Blenheim Forge, a little business based in a railway arch in Peckham - they forge their own Damascus steel and make all the handles etc themselves. I’ve had the knives for nearly 3 years, used them daily and with a little care (gentle steeling, monthly oiling and the occasional sharpen on a fine stone) they have performed wonderfully.

The steel isn’t stainless, so needs looking after if you want to avoid rust, but that’s about the worst of it.

Master
    I have a set of Global knives but just bought this from amazon.
    It makes the Global feel like a butter knife. I’m actually a bit scared to use it!

Master
    Ive used these guys before https://www.japanny.com/ the guy literally knows most of the craftsman on a first name basis.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    I have a set of Global knives but just bought this from amazon.
    It makes the Global feel like a butter knife. I’m actually a bit scared to use it!
    I was never really impressed with our Global knives but now they’ve been professionally sharpened it’s made a massive difference, still prefer the Kai Shun ones though.

As an aside I always admire the turquoise blue handle knives James Martin uses on his Saturday morning TV show. A little Google search didn’t shed any light on a maker.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post

As an aside I always admire the turquoise blue handle knives James Martin uses on his Saturday morning TV show. A little Google search didn’t shed any light on a maker.
    Is it these?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Is it these?
    Don’t think so, looks like more info has turned up since the last time I checked and it appears to be this make, having seen the price I’ll stick to admiring from afar

https://www.kinknives.com/itou-knive...180mm-130.aspx

Master
    I've a small selection of really well made Japanese knives from Masakage, their Yuki range, beautifully balanced, great edge and look fab. Easy to keep razor sharp due to the carbon steel core.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Your knives won't stay sharp! That's a good one.

Buy a cheap knife from Asda/Tesco/Sainsburys etc that you like the look of, five pounds should do it.

Buy whatever you fancy to sharpen it, ceramic, whetstone, whatever.

Practise on the cheap one every time you use it. Learn how to sharpen, learn that it works and that whatever you do, you don't really damage or hurt the knife.

Once you've learnt how to sharpen your knife and have built up confidence in sharpening, go and buy your expensive knife.

Admire your expensive knife while you use your cheaper one because it's sharper, you're more comfortable with it, and it doesn't matter if you dull it because you can always sharpen it again.

Finally, sell the expensive knife because you never use it and there's nothing wrong with the cheaper one.
    Fair comment really. A lot of fuss is made of 'carbon steel' which is a bit of a hangover from the days when the only stainless blade steels didn't take such a good edge as readily. It's fine if you want to spend time with it making sure it doesn't rust and tarnish, and although it readily takes an edge it doesn't hold it so well. The modern stainless steels are a different thing altogether although you have to pay a premium for them as the cheap stainless blades are the old fashioned stainless. Steels such as RWL34, made by Damasteel in Sweden, which is a stainless powder steel will take as good an edge as carbon steels and will hold it longer. Slight downside is it's a bit harder to sharpen but normal methods can be used. Also made by them is stainless damascus using RWL34 and PMC27 both excellent stainless steels. In the end it's just personal preference I suppose like most things.

Interesting piece about Damasteel here if anyone is interested in blade steels..............http://damasteel.se/about-us/

Craftsman
    Carbon steel or stainless steel?

My wife and I are in Tokyo and are going knife shopping tomorrow. We want a good quality chef’s knife.

I’ve done a lot of reading on the differences between CS and SS, and the main disadvantage I see to CS is the care and upkeep required to stop it rusting.

The knife we buy will be used every day, so I don’t want a laborious maintenance regime for the knife. That being said, I’d love to hear what people’s experience has been with CS knifes, are they difficult to maintain?

Aritsugu knife from Kyoto’s Nishiki market.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    Carbon steel or stainless steel?

My wife and I are in Tokyo and are going knife shopping tomorrow. We want a good quality chef’s knife.

I’ve done a lot of reading on the differences between CS and SS, and the main disadvantage I see to CS is the care and upkeep required to stop it rusting.

The knife we buy will be used every day, so I don’t want a laborious maintenance regime for the knife. That being said, I’d love to hear what people’s experience has been with CS knifes, are they difficult to maintain?
    See my post, and remember there are many excelllent Japanese cutlery stainless steels, for example VG10. Life's too short to have to worry if your knifes gonna rust!

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Fair comment really. A lot of fuss is made of 'carbon steel' which is a bit of a hangover from the days when the only stainless blade steels didn't take such a good edge as readily. It's fine if you want to spend time with it making sure it doesn't rust and tarnish, and although it readily takes an edge it doesn't hold it so well. The modern stainless steels are a different thing altogether although you have to pay a premium for them as the cheap stainless blades are the old fashioned stainless. Steels such as RWL34, made by Damasteel in Sweden, which is a stainless powder steel will take as good an edge as carbon steels and will hold it longer. Slight downside is it's a bit harder to sharpen but normal methods can be used. Also made by them is stainless damascus using RWL34 and PMC27 both excellent stainless steels. In the end it's just personal preference I suppose like most things.

Interesting piece about Damasteel here if anyone is interested in blade steels..............http://damasteel.se/about-us/
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    For the last 10 years have used a set of Global knives, that I use everyday. I think they are excellent , well balanced and cover all the range of uses - from slicing to chipping to vegetables paring to cheese and bread.

For cleaning I have always used a dishwasher, being careful to not bang them with other metal, and drying them well when out. Occasionally I get a shadow of surface rust, promptly removed with the dedicated pad (Minosharp Remover). And keep them well sharp using a Shinkansen Minosharp (dead easy to use).

I know there are more sophisticated knives on the market, but my Global excel in all I do, and will last me forever.

Another vote for Global. I got a 20cm cooks knife for my 18th birthday, and 18 years later is still going strong. The only knife I ever really use for the majority of kitchen cutting.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Shun and Kasumi for me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by emgee View Post
    I've a small selection of really well made Japanese knives from Masakage, their Yuki range, beautifully balanced, great edge and look fab. Easy to keep razor sharp due to the carbon steel core.

i have 3 of these, can’t remember the exact names but in layman’s terms, a big one, a small one and one that looks like a mini cleaver (Nakiri?). A pain to keep clean but lovely to look at.

Master
    I continue to be surprised by my shun. OK, it's not shaving sharp, but it's now a year to the day since I got it, and it will still slice a tomato one handed. Not sharpened it once in a year while using it daily in a commercial kitchen, simply hone it on a steel once a week or two. When I use my Robert Welch knives at home, they seem positively barbaric.

I have loads of cheap steel knives and keep them all very sharp. Spending a load of money on a fancy knife is a waste. Mastering sharpening technique is the thing.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Stating the obvious but... what are you cutting on, wood block, plastic cutting boards or like my wife any ceramic plate she can lay her hands on!
    Ok things she does to destroy a knifes edge are, cutting on a kitchen plate, wiping the knife on the edge of the frying pan, dropping it into the sink with assorted cutlery plates etc and putting it in the dishwasher cutlery basket.
    Probably a good thing really as she also cuts herself quite regularly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I have loads of cheap steel knives and keep them all very sharp. Spending a load of money on a fancy knife is a waste. Mastering sharpening technique is the thing.
    You say it's a waste, and while I agree, in that any knife can be made sharp, read my post. I spent a load, well £200, so peanuts tbh, and It is of such a quality that a year later and my knife sharpening technique is irrelevant and it continues to be sharper than the other knives my colleagues get sent off for a professional sharpening every month. As a chef, my single shun has been the best investment I've made. Can you get a victorianox as sharp, sure, but it's still a pig to use.
    Last edited by hafle; 15th March 2019 at 21:43.

Craftsman
    This is mine. Dead sharp even after years of use. Sharpened using the bottom rim of a ceramic plate every so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I've got a Petty, Santoku and a Gyuto from here https://www.togknives.com

absolutely love them

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Spending excessive time sharpening cheap knives is arguably a waste of time. Spending excessive amounts on knives is arguably a waste of money.

Buying good value with knives with decent steel and sharpening a few times a year makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    A few things to bear in mind, I have a whole load of different knives including most of the ones mentioned above.
    Global stiff knives are very brittle, if you drop them on a stone floor, you stand a chance of cracking them across the handle. I have done it twice.
    Global flexible knives are a totally different steel and not wothwhile at all, no ability ot hold an edge at all. Do not buy them
    Second this point - a complete shear across the tang of my favourite Global when it got knocked off the counter top led me to this thread in search of a replacement. I had a set of 5 Global and pretty much only ever used one bade, so am going to treat myself to a housewarming present for when we move in a couple of weeks (hopefully) - something like this maybe https://www.chefslocker.co.uk/store/...ife_180mm.html

For others looking at Global, regular maintenance is a good idea, in my experience the blades 'notch' quite easily if they are not well cared for, but they are super sharp and I love the handle shape and balance.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Got a few Globals and I must say I was surprised how quickly the blades dulled... but I bought the handheld quick sharpener thing (two wheels, slide blades between them a few times) and boy it brings them right back to life again.... used the main knife this evening after sharpening and it is like a razor!!
    This is broadly what I do. I have 2 Globals and give them a quick swipe on the ceramic steel before every use + sharpen on the ceramic handheld wheels every 2-3 months. They stay extremely sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    For cleaning I have always used a dishwasher, being careful to not bang them with other metal, and drying them well when out.
    FWIW, Global explicitly advise NOT to wash their knives in a dishwasher.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    FWIW, Global explicitly advise NOT to wash their knives in a dishwasher.
    I know that full well, I do not trash them but carefully arrange them away from other metal.

After ten years are still perfect, so I do not care of what Global says.

Craftsman
    We spent a few hours in Tsukiji and Kappabashi on Saturday knife shopping. It was a most enjoyable experience. Given what the knife will be used for, every shop told us to go stainless over carbon steel.

We tried scores of SS knives and the winner by some margin was a Wüsthof Ikon. The weight and balance was nicer than any Japanese equivalent. As they’re cheaper in the good ole EU we didn’t buy in Tokyo buy ordered when we got home.

Quote Originally Posted by emgee View Post

I really like the look of these on Cutting Edge's website and am thinking of placing an order - they look fab, would you mind sharing some more thoughts on it and also which size your went for, i'm undecided between the 180 and 210 gyuto.

Cheers

Master
    I always liked the thought of having some decent kitchen knives, but just couldn't bring myself to pay more than £20 for a knife, so I spent years using and sharpening cheap knives and was reasonably happy with them.
    I heard nice things about Global knives, but when I looked at the price I decided I would be disappointed if I paid 8 x the price for a knife that wasn't 8 times as good as the ones I have.
    Then a couple of years ago, completely randomly, the mother in law couldn't think what to get me for Christmas and bought me a set of 3 Global's.
    They are absolutely brilliant and I'm really happy with them, but I'm still not convinced I would buy them myself.

This is the set I got:

https://www.hartsofstur.com/global-3...set-g2338.html

They were on offer at £99 for the 3 and included the Global knife stand.