closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Japanese kitchen knives - who owns them?

Hybrid View

Journeyman

Japanese kitchen knives - who owns them?

My current knives never stay sharp. I'm thinking of upgrading them at some point but there's so much choice. Does anyone own japanese kitchen knives? I hear they are the best!

Japanese kitchen knives - who owns them?

Knives don't stay sharp, you need to keep them sharp. There's lots of info on Youtube on this, and even if you spend a lot on knives you still need sharpening skills. I'd see what you can do with your current knives before spending on new ones. I use a couple of cheapies the wife got with some vouchers at Tesco a few years ago. They take a good edge, which I keep with regular use of a steel and an oilstone.

Last edited by magirus; 3rd November 2018 at 08:33.
    F.T.F.A.

Hmmm it does seem there's whole generations of people who think you buy a knife once and it stays sharp forever.

Strange. Try this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Moli...780160255.html

Journeyman
    I'm well aware of knife sharpening! My blades lose their edge after a few days use! And I have to resharpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk3y View Post
    I'm well aware of knife sharpening! My blades lose their edge after a few days use! And I have to resharpen.
    What on earth are you cutting? Concrete?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Blog Entries
    I have some Global knives…. They’re the nuts…. Clean and sharp

Don’t bother getting a big collection

One large cooks knife a smaller pairing knife and carving knife are all you’ll ever need realistically

Get any old bread knife (I wouldn’t spend money on one)

Craftsman
    When i set up my house in the early nineties my wife and i had little money so we bought some Sabatier kitchen knives from Boots. We still use them and they take a razor edge to this day with an oilstone, or wetstones if i have a bit more time.

A friend has a super dooper Japanese knife, looks really nice and takes a razor edge too. Waste of money really when it comes down to it. You can either sharpen a knife or you can not. Knife snobs buy expensive Japenese knives that take en edge just as keen as mine and they pay a fortune for them.

Mmmmm i wonder what hobby is also like that?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    When i set up my house in the early nineties my wife and i had little money so we bought some Sabatier kitchen knives from Boots. We still use them and they take a razor edge to this day with an oilstone, or wetstones if i have a bit more time.

A friend has a super dooper Japanese knife, looks really nice and takes a razor edge too. Waste of money really when it comes down to it. You can either sharpen a knife or you can not. Knife snobs buy expensive Japenese knives that take en edge just as keen as mine and they pay a fortune for them.

Mmmmm i wonder what hobby is also like that?
    In terms of sharpness, it can certainly come down to snobbery. But at the same time, like the hobby you allude to, there is a lot more to it than a single function. I used my Robert Welsh knives in a kitchen for years, and always though them supremely comfortable. Since getting my kai though, at 4x the price, it's redefined comfort though. Like you might feel going from a typical functional bracelet, to say one with a good quick adjustment clasp. But again, like that other hobby, knives are certainly a case of diminishing returns. To you it might be a waste of money, but to me it has proven to be one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Brands like kai, global, and so on, they're a bit like rolex though, they're "expensive" but anything but high end.

Owl1
    I use an Esee izula 2 for everything in the kitchen , apart from bread which i buy sliced anyway.

Blog Entries
    Global but the pick for me is a couple of Flint and Flame santoku', the weight and balance is a joy.

Edge wise, they are unbelievable, hold very very well and they are pretty good at taking the end off fingers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Global but the pick for me is a couple of Flint and Flame santoku', the weight and balance is a joy.

Edge wise, they are unbelievable, hold very very well and they are pretty good at taking the end off fingers as well.
    I have a pair of Flint and Flame Santoku knives and agree that weight and balance is exceptional. Exceedingly sharp too, so much so that Lynn refuses to use them.

Nasty mess of your finger there! Cuts are more normally associated with blunt knives, not sharp ones.

I've also got a pair of Tramontina chef's knives we've had for around 20 years that hold an edge very well too. Not as well balanced as the F&F's but used for different purposes.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    I did a Cordon Bleu course many years ago. They issued us with a set of basic Victorinox knives which are still going strong in my kitchen.

During the course the mantra we were taught, and it still rings in my head today when reading threads like this ..

“How often do you sharpen your knife?”

“Every time you use it”.

Your knives won't stay sharp! That's a good one.

Buy a cheap knife from Asda/Tesco/Sainsburys etc that you like the look of, five pounds should do it.

Buy whatever you fancy to sharpen it, ceramic, whetstone, whatever.

Practise on the cheap one every time you use it. Learn how to sharpen, learn that it works and that whatever you do, you don't really damage or hurt the knife.

Once you've learnt how to sharpen your knife and have built up confidence in sharpening, go and buy your expensive knife.

Admire your expensive knife while you use your cheaper one because it's sharper, you're more comfortable with it, and it doesn't matter if you dull it because you can always sharpen it again.

Finally, sell the expensive knife because you never use it and there's nothing wrong with the cheaper one.

Blog Entries
    For the last 10 years have used a set of Global knives, that I use everyday. I think they are excellent , well balanced and cover all the range of uses - from slicing to chipping to vegetables paring to cheese and bread.

For cleaning I have always used a dishwasher, being careful to not bang them with other metal, and drying them well when out. Occasionally I get a shadow of surface rust, promptly removed with the dedicated pad (Minosharp Remover). And keep them well sharp using a Shinkansen Minosharp (dead easy to use).

I know there are more sophisticated knives on the market, but my Global excel in all I do, and will last me forever.

Craftsman
    I have global and I find them excellent; however there are a couple of things to consider:
    They’re very lightweight (I like this, but my friend went with Wustof, as he preferred the heavier weight).
    They’re very sharp due alloy used and the steep angle of the blade. They will require more regular sharpening than a hardened steel knife (but will sharpen easily). You will need a global specific sharpening tool, or a whetstone; to maintain the sharpness.

I have a varied collection. I also have a global knife which I've owned for nearly 20 years and it's only required 1 whetstone in this time.

I have had a masamoto vg10 240mm with Western handle from Japanesechefsknives.com. I've been using it for about 7 years now.

Today I'd probably opt for knife in aeb-l or 13c26 stainless for a fine yet easily sharpened edge.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I have a few Globals and have had then for over 16 years. We have managed to snap one as a result of someone trying to separate a two frozen chicken breasts!!!!!!!!

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy them again.

Depending on what mood I’m in, I will sharpen them using a three stage approach on a waterwheel and two grades on a oilstone, or just a quick slide up and down an sharpening iron.

B

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    I have a few Globals and have had then for over 16 years. We have managed to snap one as a result of someone trying to separate a two frozen chicken breasts!!!!!!!!

Depending on what mood I’m in, I will sharpen them using a three stage approach on a waterwheel and two grades on a oilstone, or just a quick slide up and down an sharpening iron.

B
    I’ve got a hardened steel stellar for this type of job! It was fairly cheap; but it’s great for hacking at frozen things.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido-K View Post
    I’ve got a hardened steel stellar for this type of job! It was fairly cheap; but it’s great for hacking at frozen things.
    She now know’s not to use a Global for this type of chore.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post

B
    I snapped a Henckels knife doing a similar thing, sent it back with a letter mentioning "could of lost an eye" and a new one arrived in the post

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    I snapped a Henckels knife doing a similar thing, sent it back with a letter mentioning "could of lost an eye" and a new one arrived in the post

Kind of them to give you a second chance at that eye.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post

Might consider contacting them :-D

Aritsugu knife from Kyoto’s Nishiki market.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    Carbon steel or stainless steel?

My wife and I are in Tokyo and are going knife shopping tomorrow. We want a good quality chef’s knife.

I’ve done a lot of reading on the differences between CS and SS, and the main disadvantage I see to CS is the care and upkeep required to stop it rusting.

The knife we buy will be used every day, so I don’t want a laborious maintenance regime for the knife. That being said, I’d love to hear what people’s experience has been with CS knifes, are they difficult to maintain?
    See my post, and remember there are many excelllent Japanese cutlery stainless steels, for example VG10. Life's too short to have to worry if your knifes gonna rust!

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Fair comment really. A lot of fuss is made of 'carbon steel' which is a bit of a hangover from the days when the only stainless blade steels didn't take such a good edge as readily. It's fine if you want to spend time with it making sure it doesn't rust and tarnish, and although it readily takes an edge it doesn't hold it so well. The modern stainless steels are a different thing altogether although you have to pay a premium for them as the cheap stainless blades are the old fashioned stainless. Steels such as RWL34, made by Damasteel in Sweden, which is a stainless powder steel will take as good an edge as carbon steels and will hold it longer. Slight downside is it's a bit harder to sharpen but normal methods can be used. Also made by them is stainless damascus using RWL34 and PMC27 both excellent stainless steels. In the end it's just personal preference I suppose like most things.

Interesting piece about Damasteel here if anyone is interested in blade steels..............http://damasteel.se/about-us/
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Another vote for Global. I got a 20cm cooks knife for my 18th birthday, and 18 years later is still going strong. The only knife I ever really use for the majority of kitchen cutting.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Shun and Kasumi for me.

Master
    Stating the obvious but... what are you cutting on, wood block, plastic cutting boards or like my wife any ceramic plate she can lay her hands on!
    Ok things she does to destroy a knifes edge are, cutting on a kitchen plate, wiping the knife on the edge of the frying pan, dropping it into the sink with assorted cutlery plates etc and putting it in the dishwasher cutlery basket.
    Probably a good thing really as she also cuts herself quite regularly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    This is mine. Dead sharp even after years of use. Sharpened using the bottom rim of a ceramic plate every so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I've got a Petty, Santoku and a Gyuto from here https://www.togknives.com

absolutely love them