closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lisa Fischer

Lisa Fischer

What a voice, and sex on legs too, 4.06 . . .

Master
    This is one of my favourite tracks and I've always wondered who the backing singer was. I have to say though, without the backing singer this track would be nothing so it would be more fair to say co-vocalist. Anyhoo, a few weeks back I Googled it and found out it was a lady called Merry Clayton who was dragged out of her bed and in to the studio at midnight. Amazingly, she nailed it in a few takes and went straight home. She was pregnant at the time and tragically lost the baby in a miscarriage not long after leaving the studio.

Listening to her vocals on their own are just incredible and I love the whooping from someone in the studio (at 19s). Although I've never noticed it before, you can hear it in the final version of the song (3:02). Great stuff and the full story is here:

http://www.openculture.com/2013/06/m...e_shelter.html

Last edited by benny.c; 7th December 2018 at 18:54.

A piece of trivia:

Merry Clayton was one of the backing singers on the album version of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama.

Here she is out-Turnering Tina on the Who's Acid Queen from Tommy Live At the Rainbow:

______

​Jim.

Loved that!

Bob, if you haven't seen '20 Feet From Stardom' I reckon you'll enjoy it.

Re: Lisa, it seems to me she's been with the RS for ever.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Thanks for the replies gents! I'll hunt that out Ralph.

20 Feet From Stardom is available on Nexflix. It was available on the iPlayer, but I think (haven't checked!) it's time-expired.
    ______

​Jim.

Going along with the 'backing singers' theme then...

On the Pink Floyd DSOTM album there's Clare Torry singing on The Great Gig In The Sky and I can vividly remember when I first heard the album just how much that track and her vocals had such an impact on me both then and again when I subsequently saw her perform live with the band as a special guest at Wembley in the late '80s.

Whilst many singers have tried to emulate the recording, few have even come close IMO.
    But one live performance with the Australian Pink Floyd tribute band does stand out for me (albeit with two singers sharing the vocals):

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    A piece of trivia:

Merry Clayton was one of the backing singers on the album version of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama.
    I didnít know that. Every dayís a school day.