closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steinhart vs Squale

Steinhart vs Squale

Two brands that I kind of mentally bracket in the same area, would anyone who has experience of both say that one was particularly better than the other and why?

From what I’ve looked at, Steinhart focus a lot more on homage but do make their own designs too, whereas Squale make more of their own designs but do have some homage pieces in their line up - is that fair?

Earlier today was looking at the Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military 39, and the Squale 20 Atmos Militaire

Both very similar in design and obviously homages to the Rolex MilSub. Similar price, same movement, similar size etc. Would anyone be able to say “definitely go for the Squale because...” ?

I’m not actually planning on getting either, just wondering about brand comparison.

Regarding Squale, one thing that puts me off is I find their font and logo cartoonish, sounds like a silly thing but it just bugs me a bit! Anyway thoughts from those in the know appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by davidj54; 1st November 2018 at 15:16.

Master
    Well, for one thing the Steinhart is WR to 300m rather than 200m!!! That is SO ESSENTIAL! No experience of Squale (yes, that logo is horrible!!!) but Steinhart's watches are good value and of decent quality. I like their hommages, but find some of their original designs a bit odd, but obviously that's a matter of personal taste.

Personally I would prefer Squale as a brand. They probably have a little more history as they previously made cases for some notable watch companies such as Blancpain and Tag Heuer amongst others. I’m not sure Steinhart has even this small claim to fame so to speak.

If this kind of stuff doesn’t bother you, just get the watch you prefer, as like you mentioned they are probably in the same bracket and not too dissimilar in quality.

Owned both. Build quality in my experience better on the steinhart. Better bezel action better resale value too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    Personally I would prefer Squale as a brand. They probably have a little more history as they previously made cases for some notable watch companies such as Blancpain and Tag Heuer amongst others. I’m not sure Steinhart has even this small claim to fame so to speak.
    My thoughts exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    My thoughts exactly!
    My too. I can't stomach Steinhart at all, I mean, they don't design ANYTHING, they just copy. How anybody can have any respect or put value into a brand like that I don't know.

Some more one-vs.-the-other opinions in this recent thread: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...inhart-dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    My too. I can't stomach Steinhart at all, I mean, they don't design ANYTHING, they just copy. How anybody can have any respect or put value into a brand like that I don't know.
    Is that tongue in cheek?

While they do a lot of homages, they also have some quite 'distinctive' and 'interesting' designs that you won't see many other manufacturers producing. Someone on the forum owns this, for example.

Master
    I'm fortunate enough to have a couple of Steinharts and one Squale GMT.
    Quality is fairly evenly matched I would say, although I prefer the Squale bracelet function and fit.
    The biggest plus Squale wise, is the shape of the case though and in particular the lugs which have a smoothe downward turn so it fits the wrist much nicer than the Steinhart case which is flat and therefore sits very flat on the wrist and not as comfortable. Well worth trying both out.
    Where are you located?

I looked at these two brands when considering getting a GMT.

Though, the Squale - especially the ceramic bezel looked awesome.
    The size of the case, was what made me decide to go with the Steinhart 39mm "Pepsi" version. And I have to say that it has surprised me, especially the ETA movement, which has been very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    I'm fortunate enough to have a couple of Steinharts and one Squale GMT.
    Quality is fairly evenly matched I would say, although I prefer the Squale bracelet function and fit.
    The biggest plus Squale wise, is the shape of the case though and in particular the lugs which have a smoothe downward turn so it fits the wrist much nicer than the Steinhart case which is flat and therefore sits very flat on the wrist and not as comfortable. Well worth trying both out.
    Where are you located?
    I’m in Yorkshire mate 👍

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    I looked at these two brands when considering getting a GMT.

Though, the Squale - especially the ceramic bezel looked awesome.
    The size of the case, was what made me decide to go with the Steinhart 39mm "Pepsi" version. And I have to say that it has surprised me, especially the ETA movement, which has been very accurate.
    Yeah, the Steinhart GMT39 is the one I’m eyeing up the most, on the jubilee bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    My thoughts exactly!
    nice to have someone agree with me for once!

I don’t think that’s strictly true. As I understand it they started out that way, but over time they have extended their repertoire to include original designs. The Ocean Titanium 500 is very nice. I think it’s just that their homage watches, especially the Ocean One, are their most popular as they have that Rolex look and come with a lot of spec for the money. At the end of the day they’re offering people good quality Swiss watches for a decent price, not everyone can afford £7,000 on a Submariner.

Between the two watches presented, I'd rather wear the Steinhart. The hands are bolder and longer, the bezel teeth are also bolder, and the bezel features minute markers all the way around, avoiding the 'naked' look of the Squale. Of course, the Steinhart logo is traditionally stylish, not weird like the Squale. The minute hand on the Squale doesn't seem to match the hour hand...it looks like it was stolen from a different type of watch!

Oh I dunno they do some non copies too. Of course they built their business model on homages, but that’s hardly unusual - dozens of companies have done the same albeit with less commercial success.

If it matters to you Squale lug holes are quite close to case and you are limited by thickness of NATO straps and really should use curved bars for any leather straps. Steinhart doesn't have that problem... plenty o space there

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    For Squale, I think it may depend on the model. I had a 1521 for a while and the finishing was impeccable and overall quality felt top notch but I remember hearing that the sub homages weren't up to the same level.

Master
    About a year ago I sold through this forum my Rolex GMT master after owning it for some twelve years, the reason was I preferred my Steinhart. The only thing I missed was the Jubilee bracelet, never liked the Oyster. Monday night browsing the Steinhart web page I noticed that they did a " Jubilee" bracelet. E mail to confirm suitability, answer in the affirmative 1000hrs Tuesday morning,, order placed and Fedex delivered 1100 Thursday morning .

I have had several transactions with Steinhart over the years, they are always quick to respond, and they always tell you to use their Fedex account.

untitled (2 of 2)-3 by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

Now doesn't that look nice?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
    About a year ago I sold through this forum my Rolex GMT master after owning it for some twelve years, the reason was I preferred my Steinhart. The only thing I missed was the Jubilee bracelet, never liked the Oyster. Monday night browsing the Steinhart web page I noticed that they did a " Jubilee" bracelet. E mail to confirm suitability, answer in the affirmative 1000hrs Tuesday morning,, order placed and Fedex delivered 1100 Thursday morning .

I have had several transactions with Steinhart over the years, they are always quick to respond, and they always tell you to use their Fedex account.

untitled (2 of 2)-3 by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

Now doesn't that look nice?
    That's an interesting story and so why do you prefer the Steinhart?

I prefer Steinhart, better resale value and good customer support.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    That's an interesting story and so why do you prefer the Steinhart?
    Funny really. In one way sort of reverse snobbery, difficult to explain. The Rolex, well everyone knows Rolex , it has a reputation, whereas the Steinhart is far more unique, far rarer. With Rolex you are just another punter out of millions, with Steinhart I have actually spoken to the boss.

I don't really have the answer. Recently I was in Hamonds in Leeds, the manager looked down at my wrist he said. " Lovely GMT Master" . I took the watch off and handed it to him. " That's gorgeous" he said. " who on earth are Steinhart". He examined it more closely. " Gorgeous, bloody gorgeous".
    Last edited by BrianT; 2nd November 2018 at 10:08.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
    Funny really. In one way sort of reverse snobbery, difficult to explain. The Rolex, well everyone knows Rolex , it has a reputation, whereas the Steinhart is far more unique, far rarer. With Rolex you are just another punter out of millions, with Steinhart I have actually spoken to the boss.

I don't really have the answer. Recently I was in Hamonds in Leeds, the manager looked down at my wrist and said lovely GMT Master, . I took the watch off and handed it to him. " That's gorgeous" he said. " who on earth are Steinhart". He examined it more closely. " Gorgeous, bloody gorgeous".
    Excellent and I think I understand...I have the Steinhart 39mm Pepsi on Jubilee and it's awesome except for the poor cyclops which I'll remove. I find it very difficult to read. I fancy the 39 LV as well which I would also like to pop on a Jubilee.

Great fun and great value.

Cheers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Excellent and I think I understand...I have the Steinhart 39mm Pepsi on Jubilee and it's awesome except for the poor cyclops which I'll remove. I find it very difficult to read. I fancy the 39 LV as well which I would also like to pop on a Jubilee.

Great fun and great value.

Cheers

In fact you have just hit the nail on the proverbial head.

" Steinharts are fun"

I have no knowledge of Squale but have a Steinhart Ocean 39 green and I can recommend it highly.

Very well built, oob it keeps within +-1s a day which is excellent.

If you like the "hommage" style, go with Steinhart.

Never owned a Squale, but I prefer the look of most of the Steinharts, and the two I've owned were well made, accurate and excellent value IMO.

I also know how to pronounce 'Steinhart'. Is 'Squale' 'squail'; 'squarly'; 'scal'; 'scale', or something else? Genuine question.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Never owned a Squale, but I prefer the look of most of the Steinharts, and the two I've owned were well made, accurate and excellent value IMO.

I also know how to pronounce 'Steinhart'. Is 'Squale' 'squail'; 'squarly'; 'scal'; 'scale', or something else? Genuine question.
    It’s sq-ar-lay

(French for ‘shark’ )
    Last edited by davidj54; 2nd November 2018 at 14:56.

Have to say that my 39mm Ocean gmt arrived last week on a jubilee from Gnomon and at first I was a bit “meh” and even put it up on Sales corner.

To my surprise there were not takers for a sale only, so I thought I’d give it a second chance and now love it.

I’ve owned a 42mm Ocean gmt but it was too big/heavy for me. The 39mm is spot on. I have a pink 39mm as well (which I never wear) so swapped the jubilee to that bracelet and it’s now perfect.

Now if only they did a vintage GMT in 39mm! I live in hope because the 42mm is too big and I won’t even comment on Christopher Ward’s abomination

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    For Squale, I think it may depend on the model. I had a 1521 for a while and the finishing was impeccable and overall quality felt top notch but I remember hearing that the sub homages weren't up to the same level.
    The 1521 crown was the most awkward annoying thing I’ve ever had to use.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    It’s sq-ar-lay

(French for ‘shark’ )
    Every day's a school day. I thought French for shark was 'requin'.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Every day's a school day. I thought French for shark was 'requin'.
    It is requin as well! In French ‘squale’ defines the shark as an entire species with all its variations, whereas ‘requin’ is a specific group of sharks within the species - the larger, ‘Jaws’ type I think and as such ‘requin’ is a more commonly used term.

(In English we just have the one term, ‘shark’, that covers the species and that we’d also use if we saw a Great White or Hammerhead, for example).
    Last edited by davidj54; 2nd November 2018 at 16:55.

Quote Originally Posted by messym View Post
    Have to say that my 39mm Ocean gmt arrived last week on a jubilee from Gnomon and at first I was a bit “meh” and even put it up on Sales corner.

To my surprise there were not takers for a sale only, so I thought I’d give it a second chance and now love it.

I saw your watch on sales corner. The Steinhart GMT39 with the Pepsi bezel is my next watch for sure, but current financial commitments mean it won’t be til after Xmas otherwise I’d have had it off of you! I was also surprised that there were no takers, but good that it stopped you being too hasty and allowed you time to come round on the watch.

I’m just undecided on whether to get it on the jubilee or oyster bracelet! Every time I think I’ve decided the other version pops up on my Insta and makes me want that instead!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by messym View Post

I’ve owned a 42mm Ocean gmt but it was too big/heavy for me. The 39mm is spot on. I have a pink 39mm as well (which I never wear) so swapped the jubilee to that bracelet and it’s now perfect.

Now if only they did a vintage GMT in 39mm! I live in hope because the 42mm is too big and I won’t even comment on Christopher Ward’s abomination

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they released all divers models in a 39mm option as it's proving to be such a hit, the OVM in particular.

My too. I can't stomach Steinhart at all, I mean, they don't design ANYTHING, they just copy.
    Most of the Steinhart you see in here are homages, but what you say just isn't true.
    Have you had a look at their range of models? They make plenty original designs.

I've had both, I love the 50 atmos but I think Steinhart make a much better watch. If is in the market again I'd go Steinhart.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    I saw your watch on sales corner. The Steinhart GMT39 with the Pepsi bezel is my next watch for sure, but current financial commitments mean it won’t be til after Xmas otherwise I’d have had it off of you! I was also surprised that there were no takers, but good that it stopped you being too hasty and allowed you time to come round on the watch.

I’m just undecided on whether to get it on the jubilee or oyster bracelet! Every time I think I’ve decided the other version pops up on my Insta and makes me want that instead!
    They sell the bracelets for £80 so get both if required

Craftsman
    I have been wearing the Squale Tropic which I think is the 30 atmos case.

I've been nothing but impressed with it's build quality, it stands up against the Tudor and Sinn's I've owned. Polishing vs brushing is sharp and there's a lot of subtle elements in the case that I really like about it. For example I really like the subtle bevel from back to front around the whole case (so the sides of the case are slightly angled).

It also came very well regulated from the factory at -2 a day.

People have complained that the end links are a little fiddly to refit on the bracelet, whilst this is true it does also mean there is absolutely zero play once fitted.

Not sure what the QC is like with Squale as I may have got really lucky and got one that's spot on.. But in my experience you get a lot for the money.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    The 1521 crown was the most awkward annoying thing I’ve ever had to use.
    Yep. Fair criticism, I think. The crown sits a little too recessed and it seems to be the most common complaint about the design.

I guess I must have relatively slim fingers as I never found it much of an issue and the upside is that, once the crown is screwed in, it feels very secure ;)

Squale case is way nicer, the Steinharts is horrible.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ejtrent View Post
    I have been wearing the Squale Tropic which I think is the 30 atmos case.

I've been nothing but impressed with it's build quality, it stands up against the Tudor and Sinn's I've owned. Polishing vs brushing is sharp and there's a lot of subtle elements in the case that I really like about it. For example I really like the subtle bevel from back to front around the whole case (so the sides of the case are slightly angled).

It also came very well regulated from the factory at -2 a day.

People have complained that the end links are a little fiddly to refit on the bracelet, whilst this is true it does also mean there is absolutely zero play once fitted.

Not sure what the QC is like with Squale as I may have got really lucky and got one that's spot on.. But in my experience you get a lot for the money.

Ditto above. Mines has stayed within +1 second over the last 3 days. I like my Steinharts but for me the better wrist hugging case / lugs shape, as my previous comment and better bracelet swing it Squales way, when it comes to this particular watch any way.

I think squale has the pedigree and history to back it up. Though the homages ruin it for me.

If I was going for the best made Submariner homage, I would go for Davosa.
    (MK2 is good but ridiculously expensive for a homage)

Master
    Ginauld.

Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post
    Ginauld.
    With a T

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    With a T
    Yes .. and that one also ..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post
    Ginauld.
    For quite some time I've thought I would get one of the Ocean Rover but after much research I just feel it's all too vague when it comes to the origins and background of the watch and so for me, I've decided not to pursue it anymore. I'll take the Steinhart or a Squale instead.

Master
    In that case Steinhart.

As much as I like Squale history and heritage, Sub just does not do the trick.

Steinhart is much better value for money.