closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Couple of nights in London

Master
    Blog Entries

Couple of nights in London

Looking for a 2 night family break near Christmas to get into the festive cheer. Been to Alton towers the past couple of years so thats done to death. Was looking at Disneyland but the costs mount up and TBH looking at YouTube video it wasn't filling me with excitement.

Was thinking maybe a trip down London to see Hyde park and maybe a Theatre. Only ever being to the big city a couple of times I just wondered if any good folks here have some good knowledge of where to stay, what to see, best way to travel there from the Midlands, train or drive (cheap parking if there is such a thing) any other things to consider while there?

Is it worth it? Is winter wonderland any good? Or does anyone know of anywhere else to get a nice Christmas feeling? Unfortunately all this is on a low budget so the likes of Lapland is just a dream.

There are way too many things to see in London to list, but very few of the tourist sites I would personally suggest would be 'Christmassy' themed, which it sounds like you are looking for. In the nicest possible way, I would not go to London to see Christmas tat when there are so many other things available, but I don't have kids to be fair.

With kids in mind, Hamleys, Regent St lights generally, Oxford St shopping and lights, Covent Garden buskers/jugglers etc and all the usual west end tourist traps will be nice enough if you don't get into town much.

If you can use the train, use it.
    Driving in London is utterly pointless if you can get there by train particularly when you don't know where you are going. If you drive, it will likely ruin your weekend.

If you want to see an evening show, then pick somewhere to stay relatively near the theatre if you don't want to travel great distances at night without knowing where you are, but be aware they do know how to charge for hotels in that area!

Winter wonderland is mostly shit, apart from the ice bar but not that great with kids.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for that. I shall look into those suggestions and I'm sure Google maps will be our guiding star while we are there. Our little one has never been to London and she wants to see the main sites of London after learning about the big fire at school.

I shall check out where the theatres are and look for hotels in that area. I suppose close to Hyde park would be a bonus also.

Maybe this will be of interest, weather permitting:
    https://www.london-walking-tours.co....ondon-walk.htm
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

when my kids were younger we often took them to London between Christmas and New Year

always had a good time

shops, open top bus, London Eye, Dungeons, Tower of London, HMS Belfast etc etc .... never bored

show in the evening .... only thing is it all adds up £££wise.....

Owl1
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Looking for a 2 night family break near Christmas to get into the festive cheer. Been to Alton towers the past couple of years so thats done to death. Was looking at Disneyland but the costs mount up and TBH looking at YouTube video it wasn't filling me with excitement.

Was thinking maybe a trip down London to see Hyde park and maybe a Theatre. Only ever being to the big city a couple of times I just wondered if any good folks here have some good knowledge of where to stay, what to see, best way to travel there from the Midlands, train or drive (cheap parking if there is such a thing) any other things to consider while there?
    Park at Stanmore train station and get the jubilee line into central London (junction 4 off the M1), iirc it costs about £15 for the week end , if there isn't any space in the station car park the locals let you park on their drive for a reasonable fee and they are very friendly.

Seem to recall that the Time Out city guide to London used to be free in the Apple App store.
    May be worth checking if that is still the case.

Lots of 'family day out' deals on the train franchise websites too, which often include London Dungeon ticket deals, kids travel for free on weekends etc etc.

Master
    The Wonderland in Hyde Park gets crazy busy on a weekend, I’d not rush back there.

The wife did this last year. Said it was good if you like that sort of thing.

Both 'London' and 'Christmas' I suppose...

https://toweroflondonicerink.co.uk/

Master
    We're going to see this
    https://www.dinosaurlive.com/tickets#uk-ireland-dates
    Train down on 27th, show 28th, back 29th.

Sure there will be plenty to fill the rest of the time.
    Just take your little one to all the tourist sites, Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, Hamleys, M&M shop in Leicester Square, St Pauls Cathedral - depends what your child is into. Just get the Tube everywhere it's so easy. Do not drive down. Or drive to an outer tube station and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by sweeney View Post
    The wife did this last year. Said it was good if you like that sort of thing.

Both 'London' and 'Christmas' I suppose...

https://toweroflondonicerink.co.uk/
    In similar vein, the Natural History Museum has an ice rink this year - might be a nice combination for the kids.

Master
    If going after Christmas there is Disney on Ice at the O2 depending on the kids ages.

Look out for deals we have often got discounts due to travelling by Train.

We always spend a few days in London from Christmas to New Year. We stay away from the hell of Oxford Street etc and enjoy peace and quiet doing some nice walks, pubs, cooking at home (a luxury for me) and try to fit in a show, some live music and or comedy and some eating out.

Seems like there are lots of outdoor ice rinks in London now! This is the one I recommend, and they cater to the little ones too.

https://www.somersethouse.org.uk/wha...somerset-house

Whatever you do, don't go to the Hyde Park winter wonderland. You have to queue for ages, then it's too busy inside. Not good if you have kids in tow.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Seem to recall that the Time Out city guide to London used to be free in the Apple App store.
    May be worth checking if that is still the case.

Lots of 'family day out' deals on the train franchise websites too, which often include London Dungeon ticket deals, kids travel for free on weekends etc etc.
    Keep an eye on Timeout.com , they have plenty if listings of events coming up for your weekend and now the Christmassy events should start to be advertised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely the Tower of London but you have to get on a Beefeater tour to get the most which is included.

Train will entitle you to their 241 attractions tickets, check out the website it lists all the participating attractions.

Museum of London is good for kids and isn’t too big, its near st pauls, monument (fire london) and the tower london / tower bridge. So lots nearby with some included in 241.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

London on a budget? Is that possible?

London Dungeon was great when I was in their many years ago. How old are the kids though, as some of the displays are fairly horrific, including the guillotine act?

Train to get there, but book well in advance to get the cheaper tickets. Rail fares are getting stupidly expensive.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the info folks. Just got a family & friends rail card which seems to reduce a train ticket from £108 to £62. From what i can tell if you choose london zone 1-6 as a destination we will be able to use the transport system all day. Regards hyde park i we will see how busy it is on the day and make a decision. The tower of london sounds good. Will deffo check out the museum and the fire monument.
    Last edited by sprite1275; 31st October 2018 at 13:57.

Not forgetting Covent Garden, Leicester Sq/Picadilly Circus, Piccadilly/Fortnum & Mason, Regent St/Liberty, St James and Knightsbridge/Harrods which will be nicely lit and albeit busy, have that festive feeling about them. Natural History Museum (South Ken) is a good shout, alongside other attractions already mentioned above. Do not get fixated on the Hyde Park fair grounds, plenty of things to see around :)

PS Personally, I'd avoid Oxford St, unless you want to see too many people in one place at the same time who have no idea why they are there..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    Christmas carols at the Royal Albert Hall.
    Various productions, each with multiple dates.
    Always a quality orchestra and only the greatest hits.
    Expect plenty of audience participation / sing-a-long. Lyric books will be available in the foyer.

EG:
    https://www.royalalberthall.com/tick...l-albert-hall/

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tick...carol-concert/

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tick...ith-bloodwise/

Lots of other events, see RAH site: https://www.royalalberthall.com/tick...00__1577750400