closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who's on here from British Blades then?

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Another BB Alumni here

It seems Edge matters is heading the same way as BB did and imploding
    Was just thinking about going to have a look there, hmmm

still there must be other forums where we can talk about sharp items ;-)

gadget

Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post
    Was just thinking about going to have a look there, hmmm

still there must be other forums where we can talk about sharp items ;-)

gadget

There is another that started once the EM events came into the public eye, but I don't think it's really been taken up yet.

http://thecuttingedge.boards.net/

Apprentice

British Blade Knifemates

My apologies for popping in under false pretences to say hello having stumbled on the TZ-UK Forum and found fellow ex-BBers are here. I still miss BB. Don't expect many posts from me as my interest in watches is negligible.

Best wishes all round.

David

Hello David. Pop round to Real Outdoors Forum, you might find a few people you know...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Hello David. Pop round to Real Outdoors Forum, you might find a few people you know...
    Thanks very much. I trust all is well with you.

David

It is, thank you. It’s good to hear from you, too

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by JimTheBob View Post
    @johnbaz - Do you know how Russell White is doing lately? I have always regretted not getting something by him when he was making and selling on BB frequently.
    Sorry Jim, I didn't see your question last year!!

Last I heard Russ was very ill in hospital, never heard any more after that whether he was better or not, Some time before I dropped him a bench drill and bandsaw off to help his home making easier, Never saw him after that

John..

Apprentice
    I spent a fair bit of time and money on BB. Shame it disappeared. I bought a really nice Russell White drop point hunter, RWL34 if i recall correctly in desert ironwood. Some one else made the display sheath which is great. Still have the knife.

That’s a shame BB is gone, I was a member but only posted once or twice but mainly just read posts..

I have a couple of Nordic blades here and a few bits of handle material but really would like more materials and some different blades to try out, I have to try a full tang at some point and would love to actually make my own blades one day but I would have to move house for that..

Craftsman
    Wow.. only just returned to the online world and now found out BB is no more..

I went on a couple of the blacksmithing trips in late 2000's with Colin KC and others.. I;m still making the odd blade..

hope you are all doing well

Master
    Blog Entries
    Another ex BB member here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ugug View Post
    Wow.. only just returned to the online world and now found out BB is no more..

I went on a couple of the blacksmithing trips in late 2000's with Colin KC and others.. I;m still making the odd blade..

hope you are all doing well

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Another ex BB member here.
    Good morning Gents, nice to see you here.

Craftsman
    lovely

.. anyone have Martyns contact details (pm if poss).. would love to send him regards and thanks for all his work?

cheers

ug

I was "Jerseyman" there. I have happy memories of my time there.

Journeyman
    Wow, o nly a year late but I see some more response from people I knew

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

I was on there for several years, but with a few forums on the go and it being a while back I can't even remember my username to be honest.
    😬

I was on there - same username.

I have many regrets of knives that I sold: 2x MM FF, a CF and Ti Shing, a bayonet and scabbard for an SLR a Spyderco Mule Team blade, which I had peel ply scales applied to, and many others. There was also a guy who worked for Taylors Eye Witness who the company were allowing to make up the knives, without their logo, to sell. I assume he was paying for the materials. He made me a lovely bufallo horn(?) scaled 2-bladed knife. I came home one day to find the back spring had broken whilst it was just sat o the table. The maker was very ill at the time. I sent him the knife back at his request, but I never heard from him after that. I think that he probably passed away. I can't for the life of me remember his name. I recently picked up an MM FF and have also ordered one from MM. I still have a box full of knives, and have bought some more recently including a Boker Gnome, just to scratch an itch.

I didn't join edge matters because you could trial it before you paid your subs, so I stayed away.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    I was on there - same username.

I have many regrets of knives that I sold: 2x MM FF, a CF and Ti Shing, a bayonet and scabbard for an SLR a Spyderco Mule Team blade, which I had peel ply scales applied to, and many others. There was also a guy who worked for Taylors Eye Witness who the company were allowing to make up the knives, without their logo, to sell. I assume he was paying for the materials. He made me a lovely bufallo horn(?) scaled 2-bladed knife. I came home one day to find the back spring had broken whilst it was just sat o the table. The maker was very ill at the time. I sent him the knife back at his request, but I never heard from him after that. I think that he probably passed away. I can't for the life of me remember his name. I recently picked up an MM FF and have also ordered one from MM. I still have a box full of knives, and have bought some more recently including a Boker Gnome, just to scratch an itch.

I didn't join edge matters because you could trial it before you paid your subs, so I stayed away.
    Sounds like Russel White? He did fall seriously ill. I don't know what happened to him either, hopefully he recovered but just stepped out of the knife game.

I did wonder if it was you! Very long time no knifey speak.

My list of regrettable sells and non-buys on there is certainly lengthy. Sort of like the old days before my time on here with bargain basement Subs and GMTs, over there were extremely scarce Chris Reeves aplenty, and one particular Daniel Serrano fixed blade that I have been hunting for ever since.

I was never into the really costly knives. My favourite one is an IR Bailey. There were some interesting souls on BB.

It was indeed Russell White. Might need to ask Stu Mitchell but the odds are not good.

His health is more important than my knife. My consolation is that I have a Taylors Eye Witness 2 blade knife with stag scales. It's too good to use! I still carry a Spyderco Squeak daily, which does everything I need.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It was indeed Russell White. Might need to ask Stu Mitchell but the odds are not good.
    Last I heard from him was Nov 19 2021 when he said he was getting stuff ready to start making again. Haven't heard anything since. I know he had been very ill. No doubt Stu would know.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Is this Russell White's signature?

Is his work good? Collectable?

Is Lee White same family?

I took a punt on this from Ebay.com, it seemed pristine, reasonable value and Sheffield cutlery seems to be on its deathbed, so felt it should be repatriated.

I don't know much about it except Wharncliffe, pen, mother of pearl scales, nice file work and the signature looks like R. White to me. Taylors Eye Witness Premier range?

Anybody know anything else? I don't know much about knives, just a few SAKs and traditional Whittlers for....a bit of rudimentary, amateurish whittling!

(For anybody queasy about knives, it's legal, does not lock and the main blade is just 4cm)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I took a punt on this from Ebay.com, it seemed pristine, reasonable value and Sheffield cutlery seems to be on its deathbed, so felt it should be repatriated.

I don't know much about it except Wharncliffe, pen, mother of pearl scales, nice file work and the signature looks like R. White to me. Taylors Eye Witness Premier range?

Anybody know anything else? I don't know much about knives, just a few SAKs and traditional Whittlers for....a bit of rudimentary, amateurish whittling!

(For anybody queasy about knives, it's legal, does not lock and the main blade is just 4cm)
    That’s a lovely pocket knife.

Blog Entries

Russel White did work for TEW some years ago now. He was not well for quite a while, the last time I heard from him was November 2021. He is a well respected maker of folders and always seems a nice guy.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Russel White did work for TEW some years ago now. He was not well for quite a while, the last time I heard from him was November 2021. He is a well respected maker of folders and always seems a nice guy.
    Definitely a good un from everything I ever heard.

Rgds

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

RW did indeed work for TEW, in charge of its nicer folders, so the wharncliffe above could well be his work.

Thanks for the pointers. I was was vaguely aware of Russell White and quite pleased if it was made by such a renowned cutler.

Quite like this video of Stan Shaw and Sheffield knife making.

https://youtu.be/2ygT8HinVA8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the pointers. I was was vaguely aware of Russell White and quite pleased if it was made by such a renowned cutler.

Quite like this video of Stan Shaw and Sheffield knife making.

https://youtu.be/2ygT8HinVA8

Stan was a legend.

Stuart is still making knives in Sheffield.

Is this Russell White's signature?

Is his work good? Collectable?

Is Lee White same family?
    Could be..
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Thanks, signature looks the same. What’s that, horn?

Thanks, signature looks the same. What’s that, horn?
    Indeed it is Ox horn to be exact,

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...hlight=witness

The seller ''Plake'' was kind enough to send me the box and papers when he happened across them a little while after purchase,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Bargain!