closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch winder: Swiss Kubik Startbox vs Barrington Single Watch Winder

Apprentice

Watch winder: Swiss Kubik Startbox vs Barrington Single Watch Winder

Hi Guys,
    I've recently obtained my second automatic watch, a Rolex Explorer II (ref 16570). As both my automatic watches has a power reserve of around two days I've thought about getting myself a watch winder. I've looked through the market, and I'm honestly shocked, both with regards to the pricing and the hideous design of most winders. However after weeks of research I've narrowed to two winders; the SwissKubik Startbox and the Barrington Single watch winder, both in black. As i live in a dorm the winder is going to be located in the same room at i sleep, thus the quietness of the winder is of great importance.

Does any of you have any experience with any of the winders? The SwissKubik winder is nicer, in honestly every way, but it is in Denmark 2,5 times as expensive as the less expensive Barrington. Do you have any experience with regards to noise, durability etc. on these two winders?

very thankful for your help!

Master
    If the Barrington single is aka the Jura watchwinder which I have then I wouldn't like to keep it next to my bed as I find it quite noisy especially in the quiet of night. I keep mine in the back bedroom.

Master
    Why not just rewind the watch; takes maybe one minute.

Craftsman
    As above, I'd just wind the watch manually when i want to wear. It really doesnt take long at all

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Why not just rewind the watch; takes maybe one minute.
    +1.....watchwinders are a stupid pointless accessory targetted at the modern watch enthusiast who sees a winder as a ‘must have’. I use one for testing purposes but apart from that I woudn’t own one.

Standard TZ UK exchange

OP: I've decided to do x. Which way is better, y or z?
    Advice: don't do x

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1.....watchwinders are a stupid pointless accessory targetted at the modern watch enthusiast who sees a winder as a ‘must have’. I use one for testing purposes but apart from that I woudn’t own one.
    The one exception in my view is where you have an older watch without a quick-set date which you want to wear from time to time. Manually winding through up to 30 days isn't a lot of fun.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Right, straight to the charity shop with mine.

Apprentice
    I completely agree that a winder is a stupid accessory. However I think I would just find a convenience in not having to wind and set the time every time i change watches. Also isnt it a little unhealthy for the crown to be unscrewed that often? On the other hand it is anyway changed at every service.
    From what I've read there is much debate to whether the lubrication in the watches clumps if the watch is not worn for longer periods.

As the Barrington seems to make a bit of noise that is a no go for me. Although i live in the city it would just make me crazy if I could hear it during the night.

Thus the only choice left, if a winder is needed for me, gotta be the Swiss Kubik Startbox. It is however quite expensive... Anyone around hear got some experience with those?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    If the Barrington single is aka the Jura watchwinder which I have then I wouldn't like to keep it next to my bed as I find it quite noisy especially in the quiet of night. I keep mine in the back bedroom.
    For good order's sake, the Jura winders are not made by Barrington.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Standard TZ UK exchange

OP: I've decided to do x. Which way is better, y or z?
    Advice: don't do x
    hehe

To the OP:

If noise is an issue I’d recommend a Wolf. I’ve got a Windsor double winder. It was stupidly expensive, but it is as good as silent.