closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steinhart Military Vintage VS Tudor Black Bay ETA

Steinhart Military Vintage VS Tudor Black Bay ETA

I've had my heart set on a Tudor for a while now, and the money is in place, and I'm looking at a few, an ETA red bezel BLack Bay Heritage, an in house movement Black Bay, and a Pelagos. Google took me down a rabbit hole earlier when I found the Steinhart Military Vintage, for 340 quid, it seems to use more or less the same movement at the ETA BB, so I'm now wondering if it's worth dropping the best part of 2 grand on something, when I could get similar, cheaper. This is a watch to wear every day, I have an old Oris that's on it's last legs but has huge sentimental value, so I'll be keeping that too, I'm not a collector, I'm a user, so what should I do? What would you do in my position?

Never owned a Steinhart but I know they are well thought of.
    One thing I have done is flipped a lot of watches! I have been in a similar situation, If your like me, you will look at your wrist (good watch as the Steinhart is) and still think of the Tudor!

I'd throw another option in and suggest a Ginault. I much prefer it to the Tudor I had previously, find it better finishing and although it's double the price of the Steinhart it's far cheaper than the Tudor.

Journeyman
    Dont think id ever heard of them until now so i did some poking and found this which fills in gaps that the official website completely fails to fill from what i could see.

https://amateurhorologist.wordpress....brand-history/

Seems like a good deal to be had and there one on ebay barely used for 299 currently,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steinhart....c100752.m1982

Rgds,
    Si

Apprentice
    Brother in law has a Steinhart Military Vintage.
    It's a nice watch and outstanding bang for buck.

I already have a Steinhart Ocean One, but if you have the funds I would def go for the Tudor, being the 79220N my choice. (or in a smaller size, the fifty eight)

Cheers

I have a Tudor, a Ranger so not a model you’re looking at, but I can at least say the build quality etc is fantastic - however I am looking at getting a Steinhart in the near future. Not as a replacement, just because I want one!

The movement in the Steinhart is a lower grade ETA than Tudor use, and Tudor then make a lot of in-house modifications to the ETA. However, nearly everyone I’ve read on forums who’s had a Steinhart says they have great accuracy and are probably regulated during production.

The bracelet, clasp and lume on the Tudor will be levels above the Steinhart. The Tudor will also have a ceramic bezel, whereas the OVM is alminium. Also, the OVM for £340 is the 42mm and the most reported flaw of Steinhart watches is the fit of the 42mm’s due to the very long & flat lugs. I’m looking at 39mm Steinharts only for this reason. The OVM does come in 39mm but it’s a limited production via Gnomon Watches and not as easily acquirable (and more expensive).

If it’s a watch you’re gonna wear everyday and want to have for the rest of your life, and you can afford the price difference, go for the Tudor.

One other option could be to buy the OVM and see how you get on with it. Steinharts retain their value so you could sell it and put the money back into the Tudor fund jf you didn’t like it 👍

To follow on from my previous post, I think the best thing you can do is decide exactly how much you want to spend on watch, as there’s a fair difference between £340 and £2k. Just say to yourself “right, I can justify £X on a watch, which is the best on the market and most attractive to me at that price?” then go for it. You can always save money by getting something different, but there will be corners cut on a Steinhart that haven’t been cut on a Tudor even though they are a great value proposition. I know this from going down similar rabbit holes! Plus if it’s a diver you’re after there’s a whole host of offering between those two price points.

I’d say set a definite budget first, then get researching.

Journeyman
    If you’re looking for an everyday watch, go with the Pelagos. Dress it up, dress it down. In house movement has a 70 hour power reserve and the titanium is tough and you can beat the crap out of it because it will take it. Just my opinion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I'd throw another option in and suggest a Ginault. I much prefer it to the Tudor I had previously, find it better finishing and although it's double the price of the Steinhart it's far cheaper than the Tudor.
    Seconded.

All external finishing on my Ginault (dial, case, bracelet (which has a superb glidelock)) is fully on a par with the Rolexes I've owned. The Tudor won't offer you anything more except whatever value you place on the brand.

I recently wrote a mini review of my new Steinhart OVM which may help you form your decision.
    Normally the advice on the forum is to buy what you really want, since accepting a substitute will simply lead you to buy twice. If as you say you're after a wearer, I can't recommend the OVM highly enough. It's not as well finished as a Tudor or Rolex but it does offer superb value for money. I had to have mine regulated but it now runs to a second a day.
    So I'd say check out the OVM and if you don't like it or still want a Tudor, sell it and go for the Tudor.
    Or have both.
    Good luck.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Not all ETA movements are born equal, and a watch is far more than just its movement alone.

Respectfully, before spending your money I’d do more research into what differentiates the Steinhart & Tudor, try one on if possible, and then decide whether or not it’s worth paying the extra for.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Not all ETA movements are born equal, and a watch is far more than just its movement alone.

Respectfully, before spending your money I’d do more research into what differentiates the Steinhart & Tudor, try one on if possible, and then decide whether or not it’s worth paying the extra for.

If you scroll down to the bottom of this article there is probably the most in—depth exploration of the modifications Tudor make to the ETA movement that I’ve been able to find.

https://timelessluxwatches.com/revie...ranger-review/

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Very true. I'd add that even a 'standard' ETA can be regulated to improve accuracy (as mentioned dkpw above), so unless it's something like the power reserve that's the OP's top priority—and which can't be adjusted—then I'd focus more on how the watch wears, how comfortable it is, how much you like the look of it etc.

Stein Hart is a perfectly nice watch, especially as an everyday piece

But the nature of the hobby is such that if you got it, you'd probably want the Tudor anyway.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Thanks for all the comments everyone, the one that rang true with me was 'The Tudor won't offer you anything more except whatever value you place on the brand.' That to me sums it up, I think, I place enough value on the brand to try one out, I know if I buy a cheaper alternative I'll always wonder about the Tudor. Thanks to those who suggested Ginault, I have been looking at those, and if one came up at the right price I'd probably give it a go.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Seconded.

All external finishing on my Ginault (dial, case, bracelet (which has a superb glidelock)) is fully on a par with the Rolexes I've owned. The Tudor won't offer you anything more except whatever value you place on the brand.
    I've never handled a Ginault but my experience is that generally more expensive watches are better finished, although of course the law of diminishing returns applies.

In any case I would put a fair amount of value on the movement and internal finishing, on both of which Rolex would be ahead of Ginault I assume, so would consider these too.

Journeyman
    Steinhart are better "value for money" as far as the basic requirements of a "proper" Swiss watch goes. It ticks all the boxes as far as features go: Swiss movement? check. Surgical Steel? Check. Sapphire crystal? Check etc. etc. You get a watch which provides essentially all the same elements at a fraction of the price with Steinhart.

But as you go up the price chain there is a lot more refinement.

An obvious one is movement grade (as people pointed out already) but on pretty much every point you get more sophisticated implementation with the Tudor (or any higher priced brand for that matter). For example, Steinhart uses a very basing spring tab system with a single tab to lock the bezel and produce the "click", whereas Tudor uses the Rolex setup which is more complex and (IMHO) reliable. The fit, finish and polishing/sandblasting on the Tudor is also a lot finer than Steinhart. Basically everything will have had more manhours put into the Tudor.

That isn't to say one is better than the other. It just depends on what you see as more important. I wouldn't fret too much on trying to get the "best" watch possible and just get what you like the best at the price that works for you. As superior as the Tudor is to the Steinhart, the likes of Omega and Rolex will do everything to a higher standard than Tudor. By the same token, Patek, Vacheron, Lange will take it a step up from Rolex.

Well, I’m the end I bought a Sinn UX, I like it, but there’s still an itch that needs scratching.... might be time for a Ginault!