closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Trafford Centre and good wander around.

Trafford Centre and good wander around.

With it being half term and me not having classes all week me and the wife took the kids for a gander around the Trafford Centre, of course I ha d already planned a few stops to check out some watches that interest me. What I never expected was my eldest lad (14) who has some interest in watches and a two watch collection (SKX007 and CWC G10) would not leave my side! So each shop I went in to look he went with me! After the first where he kept asking are you buying this today!? If become very enjoyable having him there to bounce my thoughts off!

Anyway! The first shop I visited was Leslie Davis and I have to say was very impressed with both the member of staff and the watches. The two that caught my eye was the Maurice Lacroix Pontos Day Date.
    Both the white and blue dial versions. I’m sure there would be a discount to be had or certainly money to be saved by buying online, the watches themselves felt quality and just looked right on the wrist. Both priced at £1400 and having tried both on I’m not certain which I want but I know I will certainly be trying one soon!

The staff went out of his way to talk about the brand and show more of the other watches they can order can’t fault both his enthusiasm and the welcoming feel.

Next it was onto Goldsmiths on the Ground floor, this was purely by chance as I noticed they had a white dial explorer in the window. Again the lady who brought the watch out was very pleasant and couldn’t fault her at all. Just a shame after trying the watch on I was left disappointed! I have wanted one of these for a long time. Yet having it on my wrist I realise it’s not for me and if I am to get one (as I still love them!) it would need to be the older version as the new case just felt unnecessarily big compared to my sub. Now here’s the nice part and she did surprise me with this after I had mentioned the Explorer was mainly to be a holiday watch for sun and pool use, I’d said I felt the Explorer was too big and I was looking for a lighter dial than my normal watches she disappeared and returned with an OP39 grey dial, and explained as I knew it would be fine for pool use and she also said depending where I go it’s more under the radar!

Anyway the pictures!

The OP was outstanding I loved it! This is now something I am seriously wanting! It just felt right. The tiny splash of blue just made it for me.

Next for me was onto the Omega boutique for a nosey at the new Seamaster got to say in the flesh the blue dial on the blue rubber strap was very tempting, loved the display back and could see that getting a lot of wear. The lady also brought out the steel and yellow gold and steel and everrose gold both on the bracelets the everrose was nice but of the three it was the plain blue that really struck a chord. Anyway enough rambling more pictures

On the whole a thoroughly enjoyable day! I did pop in to look at the Tudor Black Bay bronze and was left cold with the service! Was not allowed to put the watch on without and glove on my hand and over my sleeve! As I will ruin the finish of the watch if they let it touch my skin!! Think I will have a closer look at this one in another place! I can’t remember the name of the place was on first floor near the entrance to the food area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by woodacre1983; 25th October 2018 at 21:42.

Nice post, I enjoyed reading it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    I did pop in to look at the Tudor Black Bay bronze and was left cold with the service! Was not allowed to put the watch on without and glove on my hand and over my sleeve! As I will ruin the finish of the watch if they let it touch my skin!! Think I will have a closer look at this one in another place! I can’t remember the name of the place was on first floor near the entrance to the food area.

Nice write up. This is fairly standard practice for the Black Bay Bronze and has the warning stickers on the coffin boxes. The staff are also not allowed to touch the watch without gloves as the oils in the skins start to react with the bronze and start the patination. If you want to try on, best to try and find one preowned.

The OP39 looks absolutely cracking in that photo. Perfect size for you. That would be my pick of the day by a clear margin.
    J

Journeyman
    I enjoyed reading it too and seeing the pictures. The Maurice Lecroix is definitely a nice looking piece. Love the Seamaster, esp the steel version (not the two tone). I'll have to swing by next time I'm in Manchester!

Craftsman
    Rolex white dial explorer looks great to me, keep trying to get around to seeing one and trying it on.

Great post and fantastice pictures, your lad may grow up to have some expensive tastes....lol

Master
    Blog Entries
    Oyster grey dial definitely more restrained. Agree it will fly under the radar but also nice in the direction of something 'dressy'

Craftsman
    The OP39 is the pick of the bunch for me. That touch of blue makes all the difference.

Master
    I liked the Maurice Lacroix Pontos Day Date, it's definitely got something.
    I hadn't realised there was so many watch boutiques in the Trafford centre??

Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    I liked the Maurice Lacroix Pontos Day Date, it's definitely got something.
    I hadn't realised there was so many watch boutiques in the Trafford centre??
    There are a good 5 or so worth a gander at. The Day Date was definitely worth a look and can be had for not too bad money.

Good write up and some nice watches. The OP looked like the Rottweilers dangly bits on you. I would add that would be a great everyday wearer even for going out for a formal occasion.
    Keep us posted if you pull the trigger on any.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

There are a good 5 or so worth a gander at. The Day Date was definitely worth a look and can be had for not too bad money.

Found a grey version £1k
    https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/produc...hoCIwEQAvD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Spoiled for choice there arent you, not a bad watch amongst them.

Nice post, blue Seamaster on rubber was my favourite, best photo I've seen of it so far.

Maurice Lacroix Pontos Day Date in white looks like a nice one.

The others, oh dear.
    The Rolexs look like a microbrand on massdrop.

The omegas; well i just dont like skeleton hands.

Interesting read thanks for posting.

Nice write up.

Was the Tudor agent Beaverbrooks?

What Submariner do you own? (if you didnt like the 42mm Explorer 2 then you should try the old 40mm mode!)

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Nice write up.

Was the Tudor agent Beaverbrooks?

What Submariner do you own? (if you didnt like the 42mm Explorer 2 then you should try the old 40mm mode!)
    Honestly can’t remember the name of them. It was on the first floor near the food hall.
    The sub I have already is a 14060m and to me that’s the perfect fit!

Went to continue my looking today with thought on maybe pulling the trigger on the OP but unfortunately my local AD didn’t have the grey dial one I was looking at but it did give me a chance to try on this little number. Again 39mm

Again same watch but different dial colour. I’m sold on the fit and feel on the wrist. But now grape or grey? I’m sure the grey would be the more easy to wear but the grape is a lovely dial! And before someone says it both would result in a divorce!

Craftsman
    Honestly can’t remember the name of them. It was on the first floor near the food hall....
    If it's on the upper mall it's Goldsmiths.

I would say the grey dial looked perfect on you. If it was between these two I would go for the grey. Have you tried on the new white or black dials?
    J

Master
    Two days of serious watch shopping, half term or no classes this looks like a mission to me. Its been said so many times before, buy the watch that sings to you . As on here you will find equal measures of grape and grey.

Im guessing you went into Preston today to pull the trigger on a OP grey, now the grape has confused you.

My suggestion sleep on it , you have both wrist shots , think where , how you will wear it, then decide.

Ps I think the grape pops , but thats my simple view. Enjoy half term

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Two days of serious watch shopping, half term or no classes this looks like a mission to me. Its been said so many times before, buy the watch that sings to you . As on here you will find equal measures of grape and grey.

Im guessing you went into Preston today to pull the trigger on a OP grey, now the grape has confused you.

My suggestion sleep on it , you have both wrist shots , think where , how you will wear it, then decide.

Ps I think the grape pops , but thats my simple view. Enjoy half term

Steve
    Steve I think you was right. I’ll definitely be sleeping on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardine32 View Post
    I would say the grey dial looked perfect on you. If it was between these two I would go for the grey. Have you tried on the new white or black dials?
    J
    White is the one I wanted to try as well. Will have a look for one of these. Try that too

Craftsman
    Thanks for posting this - nice to hear that you had a worthwhile trip, and good service in the various shops.

I do like that OP, and agree that the splash of blue looks very understated, but adds a flash of interest.

If I recall correctly, there was an example that sold recently on SC. Unfortunately I wasn’t quick enough!

Master
    The Oyster Perpetual is my favourite Rolex model and perhaps the only one I would buy from their range at present.

It looks good in black but I really love the white dialled version. Also available in 36mm which is probably a better size for my small wrist.

Master
    Love the blue Seamaster but only wish they still made a quartz version.

Cheers
    Neil

I hope you did actually use the term "everrose" in the omega boutique... It will have caused a certain member of staff great irritation to know that rolex marketing holds sway even in enemy territory... 😁

Went to continue my looking today with thought on maybe pulling the trigger on the OP but unfortunately my local AD didn’t have the grey dial one I was looking at but it did give me a chance to try on this little number. Again 39mm

Again same watch but different dial colour. I’m sold on the fit and feel on the wrist. But now grape or grey? I’m sure the grey would be the more easy to wear but the grape is a lovely dial! And before someone says it both would result in a divorce!

Take it that's in Whittles?

Have they finished the Rolex room yet?

Master
    I tried on the explorer 2 on Thursday in goldsmith Trafford - same opinion I was massively disappointed in the flesh. The dimensions are way off and I think it looked really cheap.

Also tried on a datejust 41 and really liked it ( black ). Tempted to order the blue the said it would only be a 2 week wait.

As for the new seamaster on the rubber in the flesh they are brilliant - only thing I hate is the bracelet. Bang that on a speedy pro bracelet and you have a winner.

Apprentice

Again same watch but different dial colour. I’m sold on the fit and feel on the wrist. But now grape or grey? I’m sure the grey would be the more easy to wear but the grape is a lovely dial!
    I have the grey and really love it! The grape is a beautiful dial, but as someone who isn't in a position to have a box full of Rolexes, I appreciate the versatility of the rhodium dial. It goes with any casual outfit and many fairly formal ones, more on a leather strap. The blue hour pips are virtually invisible unless you're close-up, and I love the look of the non-lumed indices - which I know annoy some people.

Personally I find the grape dial far more interesting in those pics.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Personally I find the grape dial far more interesting in those pics.
    Me too but it is always fun to spend someone else’s money

The Explorer was actually the nicest on your wrist IMO. OP looks great too though

Just to update this. Unfortunately watches and such have taken a back seat for a while now due to the sudden loss of my Dad last night. Leaves me with his estate to sort out and decisions to make I hoped not to have to make for a while yet! So this watch eventually now will take on more sentimental significance as it will be my gift to myself once all this is resolved and bought in memory or this fantastic man!

Master
    Just to update this. Unfortunately watches and such have taken a back seat for a while now due to the sudden loss of my Dad last night. Leaves me with his estate to sort out and decisions to make I hoped not to have to make for a while yet! So this watch eventually now will take on more sentimental significance as it will be my gift to myself once all this is resolved and bought in memory or this fantastic man!

Sincere condolences to you, know how you feel buddy. Take care.

Sorry for your loss, I didn’t need to read this,
    But once the estate is settled, certainly buy a watch that will remind you of Him. That every time you look at it you see your Dad

So sorry to hear this. I lost my dad fairly suddenly 2 years ago and still miss him like mad.

The watch I have to remember him by is his own, serviced and refurbished and brought back in to use. it is both the least valuable and the most valuable watch in my collection.

Really sorry to read this turn of events. My condolences and best wishes to you and your family.

Master
    My condolences. I lost my mum a week ago and am in the same boat as yourself. Like you I will be buying a timepiece that I can wear in their memory once the estate is settled.

Well with my Dads estate finally due for settling tomorrow it was time to seriously look at this again and get a piece that I can say has come from them.

So went to local AD day and it came as a straight choice between 2 OP36s

Close call but I went with

Last edited by woodacre1983; 11th April 2019 at 17:45.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those; and the Omega I bought in similar circumstances still reminds me of them whenever I wear it. Whatever you chose it is the right decision.

Nice choice and a great way to remember your dad👍

Master
    I'd have gone for the rhodium (?) too. Close call, mind you. The 'losers' are also very attractive.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk