closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Motorcycle Modifications Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Probably, but Im not sure how much that would cost, and it cant be moved from bike to bike.

I think 120 ish to sort it out is OK😎
    TuneECU is a free remapping program that works on Triumphs and a few others. The mk1 arse dynamometer can be a tricky beast to calibrate properly if you dont have anything to work with but a straight 6% across the board should be fairly straightforward.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    TuneECU is a free remapping program that works on Triumphs and a few others. The mk1 arse dynamometer can be a tricky beast to calibrate properly if you dont have anything to work with but a straight 6% across the board should be fairly straightforward.
    Ive read a bit about TuneECU, I have a mate thats really into all that stuff. Hes forever mucking about with it. A little tweak hear, a small adjustment there.
    The honest truth is I couldnt be bothered with it. Computers leads, and the possibility of being a total numpty and mucking my bike up, put me off.

I know the booster plug works for me, so Im happy to plug one in and forget all about it.

ive used tune ecu to remap my 11 plate speed multiple times - its (fairly) easy to use once you have the correct maps downloaded - some model years the ecu is locked.

triumph twin power offer mapping solutions for speedmasters etc but i think these only go up to 2016

Quote Originally Posted by simesman View Post
    I was in a car with the family, just going to cook some hot dogs in the forest when I saw you coming towards me. I said to everyone in the car that I knew that bike from the TZ forum and I don't think they believed me.
    But yes, the yellow bars gave the game away!

Do you partake in motorized velocipede activities yourself (have you got a `bike)?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    ive used tune ecu to remap my 11 plate speed multiple times - its (fairly) easy to use once you have the correct maps downloaded - some model years the ecu is locked.

triumph twin power offer mapping solutions for speedmasters etc but i think these only go up to 2016
    Its the multiple times bit that puts me off🤪🤪🤪

It’s the multiple times bit that puts me off浪浪浪
    hehe , was easy enough i have never done anything like it before - i was changing from 3-2 high level arrow cans to a 3-1 (i tried a few maps for the 3-1 )

you simply match your vin number and ecu to the map you want , i.e high /low exhausts no cat , ron level fuel etc etc .

the program itself it pretty useful even if you dont change maps as it instantly tells you what any error codes are as well as do things like remove the 'service' lcd spanner (if you service the bike yourself ) and do other things like adjust idle as well as multiple system testing , i'll admit i could not get it to work with my laptop (and i know what im doing with computers, it just didnt want to play ball with the laptop i was using) - the andriod version worked perfect right away with the obd cable

the easiest way is just to ask on your bikes specific forums what exactly you can do with it with your year and model , as i said above some years ecu's are locked - this still might mean you can use the diagnostics etc sections which makes it a pretty useful free program .

Master
    As an example of my technophobia, here is a picture of my phone.👍

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Do you partake in motorized velocipede activities yourself (have you got a `bike)?
    My latest is the GS1000E that you commented about the indicators on the 'other' thread. Rebuilding my old faithful Armstrong MT500 right now and I have a BMW R9T GS which is a great bike, but the GS1000 seems to be getting all the riding of late. I also have a GSX1400 which I mothballed about 5 years ago. I can't bear to part with it. Regretted selling so many bikes, so now I am determined to keep them! Wouldn't say no to a DR750/800 too, but run out of room now!

^^^^Yes, i made the connection with the GS earlier.
    I thought i recognised the location of that pic - looks like to be somewhere on The Solent/ Soutampton water somewhere?

Craftsman
    Yep, had a little ride out to Calshot on Sunday.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Looking good Enoch, mind you there was never any doubt in my mind it wouldnt, especially looking at the bits you have done on the other Triumph you had.

I cant wait for Wales to open up so I can have a scoot, and always a pleasure to meet up in Bala or wherever. Would love to see the new creation in the flesh. I actually went up to Devils Bridge weekend before last, yeah nice roads, but still prefer Wales. My main ride buddy has sold his S1000RR and got a Porsche 911 now, he says hell get another but not this year. Well see.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Yes... will be good to meet up Stuart. got to say Im quite enjoying my little jaunts into Shropshire and Cheshire. Will be nice to get back into Wales, considering the border is at the bottom of my road, but the Shires have thrown up some nice routes that Ive never bothered with before, and much quieter than our normal Welsh runs👍👍

Master
    Yes... will be good to meet up Stuart. got to say Im quite enjoying my little jaunts into Shropshire and Cheshire. Will be nice to get back into Wales, considering the border is at the bottom of my road, but the Shires have thrown up some nice routes that Ive never bothered with before, and much quieter than our normal Welsh runs👍👍
    Shhh, dont tell everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by simesman View Post
    Yep, had a little ride out to Calshot on Sunday.
    Curious!
    I was down at Ashlett creek on my R9t Urban Gs the other day!

.....i was over Calshot last night....

Craftsman
    Now that tops everything! What are you flying?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Curious!
    I was down at Ashlett creek on my R9t Urban Gs the other day!
    I will look out for you as I am mainly on the same bike. Not that many Urban GS's around here. We came down the Calshot, then went past Ashlet Creek, over the Itchen bridge and down to Weston Shore. Then off around the Forest. Great little ride.

So, for the second October in a row I have just finished a bike (well, nearly).
    I need to work on my timing, and finish the next one in May, hopefully in time to enjoy some good weather.

I started with this

A 1997 Aprilia Pegaso, with only 20,000 km on the clock.

I toyed with the idea of a total transformation into a mid-weight scrambler (new tank, seat, etc etc), but I came to the conclusion that a simple update would be best, and that the single best thing to do to this poor unloved bike would be to make the burgundy disappear.
    As one of my mates commented "just think, someone actually went into a dealership and asked for that colour"........

The spec on this generation of Pegaso is quite impressive. The Rotax 5 valve 650cc single is pretty good.
    The forks are USD, and a lot stiffer than many contemporary bikes.
    The wheels are alloy rims with SS spokes, and these 23 year old wheels are in way better condition than my 2013 Triumph wheels, which are made from pretty poorly chromed steel (rims and spokes).
    So, a strip and rebuild of the carbs, airbox rebuild (it was melted/ cracked in 3 places), conversion to all LED illumination, new hand guards, new paint (VW indium grey and black), new leather seat cover, wheels bearings and normal service consumables and decals later, it is ready for its new MOT, scheduled for Friday.

A great improvement, to my eyes. It looks a lot younger than its 23 years.

It pulls pretty hard, stops well, and corners in a surprisingly agile manner. The arrow exhaust is nice, not too loud, and crackles a little on the over-run. As it owes me less than 2k in total, and costs under 50 to add to my insurance, it's also fairly budget motoring.
    Just in time for winter

Dave

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good job,well done.

Looks great, nice job

Today I fitted/installed a Roadlok immobiliser (immobilizer as they call it) to the GS: it came off my Super Duke R but was nice and clean by the time I'd finished with it...no more Xena lump
    Last edited by Stanford; 16th October 2020 at 21:42.

Great job on the Pegaso! I had a 1999 (cube ?) They are good bikes although I never got mine to stop well despite changing pads,lines,tyres etc. You did well with the Arrows the originals rot and would probably write the bike off now.

A massive improvement!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Got my R9T Urban GS about where I want it in terms of mods and just sold my DRZ400 dual sport bike....
    so got an incoming with a few mods already done/in pro..

currently has an EVO tuning kit and a few bolt on goodies, and just having the White power suspension tuned for my weight and height...should be, um,entertaining.
    close on 80bhp in a 145kg chassis with stiffer frame than the KTM equivalent.
    was tempted with a KTM 500EXC but the 600mile oil change and 1500mile engine strip are a little hard to swallow for a bike that won't see competition use.
    merry christmas bike buddies....

Master
    Got quite a few mods planned for the XDiavel, first of which is to change the yokes for black ones. So bought a second hand set from eBay and got my mate to paint them.

I dont like hitting bearings to fit them, so I spent today making spacers so I could pull them into place with threaded bar..

Fitted the bottom bearing nice n easy, so tomorrow will be spent removing the old yokes, fitting the new races and refitting my black yokes.

Journeyman
    I have a few project bikes, this is one of them..

Started with this

Currently looks like this, though I still want to make a few more mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Merch131 View Post

Started with this

That looks interesting.
    Genuine featherbed frame?

Started with this

You can't stop now. You have to show more of this one
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blimey, that's amazing! A really tastefully done piece of work. I was pleased with myself when I managed to fit a silencer for my bike which was designed to fit my bike!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by manganr; 1st February 2021 at 19:40.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    That looks interesting.
    What a cracking conversion , I can see that being featured in a Paul Smart Story

Steve

R9T getting a suspension upgrade for the new season...

Journeyman
    That looks interesting.
    No its based on a Featherbed clearly, but its made by a small workshop in Wales. They made a few for the later Evo engine, but I commissioned them to make this frame to fit the earlier Ironhead XL1000 motor.

Here's a couple more pics, first when the alloy tank was left unpainted.. a pita as it scratches so easily. Engine is lightly tuned, with home hydraulic clutch conversion, lots of one off parts.. eg the velocity stack was machined from a solid billet alloy.

I have a couple of other projects on the go too, keeps me busy when I'm not walking the dog or drinking tea..

Very impressive result.
    I am not sure about the exposed bollocks ripper but it must be a hoot to ride

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Very impressive result.
    I am not sure about the exposed bollocks ripper but it must be a hoot to ride
    In use its not a problem, but it looks untidy. Just need to cut the unused part of the buckle off. Not done it yet as it'll then need rechroming, which always takes months. Not had chance to ride it much, but maybe this summer the lockdown will be over and there will be places to go.

Below is my Guzzi project, started life as a Cali 3, a HD cruiser look a like. Its had a few changes since then. Took the bodywork to the painter last Sept, I'll be ready this week he tells me. The tank and seat are both handmade in alloy. Except for a couple of old Ducatis, all my other bikes are 'specials', bitsas or whatever they are called these days.

Impressive Guzzi too, reminiscent of the original V7 turned cafe racer

I always ride with the panniers on my GSA and the winter months can wreck them so I got some plates laser cut at work to strap onto the pannier bars for mounting Kriega look a like soft luggage to.
    Gave me something to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No its based on a Featherbed clearly, but its made by a small workshop in Wales. They made a few for the later Evo engine, but I commissioned them to make this frame to fit the earlier Ironhead XL1000 motor.

Here's a couple more pics, first when the alloy tank was left unpainted.. a pita as it scratches so easily. Engine is lightly tuned, with home hydraulic clutch conversion, lots of one off parts.. eg the velocity stack was machined from a solid billet alloy.

I have a couple of other projects on the go too, keeps me busy when I'm not walking the dog or drinking tea..
    Below is my Guzzi project, started life as a Cali 3, a HD cruiser look a like. Its had a few changes since then. Took the bodywork to the painter last Sept, I'll be ready this week he tells me. The tank and seat are both handmade in alloy. Except for a couple of old Ducatis, all my other bikes are 'specials', bitsas or whatever they are called these days.
    It looks great, very reminiscent of a Triton or Manx, but with decent brakes. Seat looks unusually comfortable too.
    Would have been nice to have left the tank unpainted, but would mean a lot of polishing.
    The Guzzi is looking good too

Master
    It looks great, very reminiscent of a Triton or Manx, but with decent brakes. Seat looks unusually comfortable too.
    Would have been nice to have left the tank unpainted, but would mean a lot of polishing.
    The Guzzi is looking good too
    With the V twin, more like a Norvin... bur either way, great looking bike, and great vision to come up with it. Very impressive👍😎

Journeyman
    With the V twin, more like a Norvin... bur either way, great looking bike, and great vision to come up with it. Very impressive

I guess its a much cheaper version of a Norvin, though having ridden a couple of Vincents, they didnt seem very impressive to me. Back in 1950 they would've been awesome, but not so much 50 plus years later.

Here's one I made earlier. has a lightweight frame, 2 ltr aftermarket Evo engine, six speed box and Nitrous.. used it on the quarter mile only. I also built something similar for the road, that one has a 131 cubic inch motor.. 2150cc. It goes pretty well for a 'Harley'. Both have no HD parts except the petrol tank, and that was modified lol

Quality work Sir!
    Always fancied a lightweight frame with a HD motor, I believe wasp/Rickman and so on will do them...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Quality work Sir!
    Always fancied a lightweight frame with a HD motor, I believe wasp/Rickman and so on will do them...
    Don't know if Rickman or Wasp are still making frames? Metisse made a few frames for HDs over the years, but again I dont think they are still in business.
    That said there are still a few small outfits that can make you whatever you might want.

My mate has a decent home workshop, where we make stuff, he has a frame jig too, so can modify or fabricate a frame from scratch if needed. Below is the frame of my latest project on the jig being worked on...

Don't know if Rickman or Wasp are still making frames? Metisse made a few frames for HDs over the years, but again I dont think they are still in business.
    Rickman have gone, but as far as I can tell Wasp and Metisse are still operating.

From what I've seen, Metisse are doing higher end classic Triumph builds in the Steve McQueen mould. I was going to say that Wasp are fine as they built the sidecar subframe for my K75, but I've realised that was more than 20 years ago!

I was at wasp just a few months ago....going strong and would build whatever I wanted inc frame to take a HD motor

Wow, just wow! This thread is off in a totally different direction now........ How can the rest of us compete, a tail tidy and a quick lick of paint is just not going to cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    How can the rest of us compete, a tail tidy and a quick lick of paint is just not going to cut it.
    I've ended up going somewhat further than my original premise of a tidy and a quick lick of paint.

As I so often ended up doing, once I've disassembled to a point of only doing what I set out to do I then convince myself tht it'd be silly to ignore something else I've spotted, so off comes a bit more to attend to the newly spotted issue and then something else appears...

As it was when I decided to give it a bit of corrosion treatment.

As it is now...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Wow, just wow! This thread is off in a totally different direction now........ How can the rest of us compete, a tail tidy and a quick lick of paint is just not going to cut it.
    The engineering isn't that difficult. Since I bought the frame and the engine went straight in (ish). Making the downpipes was probably the most tricky, never again lol.

I have a couple of mates who build much more complex bikes, and help me out when I get stuck. Here are a few of theirs, while the last pic is my an early pic newest project.. a 1978 Z650 frame with a big bore 1170 GPz engine squeezed in. To do so meant cutting the frame in half and widening it by 20mm.

The engineering isn't that difficult. Since I bought the frame and the engine went straight in (ish). Making the downpipes was probably the most tricky, never again lol.

I have a couple of mates who build much more complex bikes, and help me out when I get stuck. Here are a few of theirs, while the last pic is my an early pic newest project.. a 1978 Z650 frame with a big bore 1170 GPz engine squeezed in. To do so meant cutting the frame in half and widening it by 20mm.

Others may see monster power and clever engineering.

What I see is a comfy seat and a sensible riding position!

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Others may see monster power and clever engineering.

What I see is a comfy seat and a sensible riding position!
    Agreed, its all there!

Its still a big, heavy beast though!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Agreed, it’s all there!

It’s still a big, heavy beast though!
    Felt a bit like the Jota 1200, except on fast, sweeping curves where the Laverda was much more reassuring. Oh, and the kawa was sooo smooth...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Agreed, its all there!

Its still a big, heavy beast though!
    But still 145lbs lighter than the behemoth I'm having delivered soon.

I so hope they don't need me to unload it from the van.