closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Motorcycle Modifications Thread

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Yep - like that a lot. Great choice and agreed much prefer that to the red. Good find.
    Andy thats a fantastic tank, new bike Sunday, new tank Tuesday, 600 mile service Thursday and blacked out bits fitted by the weekend. Im in

Steve.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    That looks nice but whilst not wishing to be a pedant there is no supplier of the plate on the bottom. I only ask as my pal has a Multistrada and he was stopped recently by a traffic cop asking where was the plate made.

If you look at the image on the online configurator, it does show the required details, so with the seller claiming theyre legal, Id guess theyll be there..

Nice but a bit pricey

Master
    That looks nice but whilst not wishing to be a pedant there is no supplier of the plate on the bottom. I only ask as my pal has a Multistrada and he was stopped recently by a traffic cop asking where was the plate made.
    I can out-pedant you. :) The required details are there - maker's postcode, BS number. All that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    If you look at the image on the online configurator, it does show the required details, so with the seller claiming theyre legal, Id guess theyll be there..

Nice but a bit pricey
    Agreed. They are a bit more than most of the others - but I like that it's untouchable from a legal pov.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I can out-pedant you. :) The required details are there - maker's postcode, BS number. All that.

That is a neat job, full stop.

Master
    Agreed. They are a bit more than most of the others - but I like that it's untouchable from a legal pov.
    Agreed.. Ill probably be ordering some as Ive pushed my luck for long enough... couldnt find the discount code though, any chance you could post it up??

Master
    Agreed.. Ill probably be ordering some as Ive pushed my luck for long enough... couldnt find the discount code though, any chance you could post it up??
    It's not the most exciting discount but JDMP10 will get 10% off. Alternatively, you can get 15% if you sign up... https://www.jdmplates.co.uk/#signup

Master
    It's not the most exciting discount but JDMP10 will get 10% off. Alternatively, you can get 15% if you sign up... https://www.jdmplates.co.uk/#signup
    Thanks....every little helps..

Not particularly exciting, but tonight I took off the BMW screen on the R1200R and replaced it with the far larger custom-fit Puig 8165W.

Not the prettiest screen, but hopefully it'll make my naked R-bike more tourer like for my trip to France in a couple of weeks :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Not particularly exciting, but tonight I took off the BMW screen on the R1200R and replaced it with the far larger custom-fit Puig 8165W.

Not the prettiest screen, but hopefully it'll make my naked R-bike more tourer like for my trip to France in a couple of weeks :-)
    Gyp remember the French dropped all their speed limits by 10km in 2018. So often Sat navs tell you speed is higher than actual. Sone towns are now 20 kmh 12 mph, loads of people being done the last time I was over there.

Gyp remember the French dropped all their speed limits by 10km in 2018. So often Sat navs tell you speed is higher than actual. Sone towns are now 20 kmh 12 mph, loads of people being done the last time I was over there.
    Blimey - thanks for the advice.

Perhaps buying a screen to allow me to travel faster in comfort was the wrong thing to do!

Not quite. Motorway speed has not changed, nor did double carriageway national roads when they were 110 km/h.
    Some national and dpartementales roads are still 90 km/h, and the majority is 80km/h.

If youre using Waze the correct speed limit will be displayed.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Nice box of goodies arrived today.

New single seat and cowl, DNA air filter and stage 2 cover (a metal plate!) and a Fuel Booster plug in to give a slightly richer mixture.

Here's the old seat on the bike...

And the new one waiting to be installed...

Will probably be Friday or Saturday before they all get fitted now, collecting the new car tomorrow so no doubt will be playing with that and sorting out the infotainment system etc!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    First little mod today. Refitted my rear powder coated grab rail which allowed me to find somewhere to fit the Kriega loops..

Blog Entries
    First little mod today. Refitted my rear powder coated grab rail which allowed me to find somewhere to fit the Kriega loops..

Is this on the new steed?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Is this on the new steed?
    Yep....first service booked for next Wed..👍

Blog Entries
    Yep....first service booked for next Wed..
    Nice one

Blog Entries
    So () fitted the new seat and seat cowl, ECU booster plug (gives 5-6% more fuel on acceleration for smoother take up) and DNA Hi-flow filter.

Booster plug, simple plug and play install.

New DNA air filter installed with open metal manifold for better airflow (triangular bracket with a hole in it!).

Old restrictive filter cover that was taken off

New single seat and seat cowl fitted

Went for a bimble around this afternoon, took these when I got back. Starting to look how I want now and the new seat is excellent. Next thing is to tidy the rear light and indicators I think and get a smaller number plate, still legal though!

Master
    Looking good Ian....

Does the booster plug require the ECU to learn the new flow rates??

I fitted one in my Bobber, and the forums say you have to let the engine tick-over until the fan cuts in, then the ECU knows theres been a change and adapts to it accordingly..

Blog Entries
    Looking good Ian....

Does the booster plug require the ECU to learn the new flow rates??

I fitted one in my Bobber, and the forums say you have to let the engine tick-over until the fan cuts in, then the ECU knows theres been a change and adapts to it accordingly..
    Advice on fitting the new filter and exhausts was to let the bike idle for 10-12 minutes for the ECU to learn. No advice on the booster plug, but then it functions by telling the bike the ambient temperature is actually colder than it really is. Supposedly this fools the ECU into adding 5-6% more fuel on acceleration and helps smooth out the idle.

Info here--https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/cms-21.html

Seems to work as it feels more responsive, and there are no obvious downsides I've noticed with the filter and exhausts.

Master
    First service today.... and getting the engine cases changed over to black ones...👍

Blog Entries
    First service today.... and getting the engine cases changed over to black ones...

Very nice

I like the colour on the tank, are you leaving it that way?

Also like the look of what I presume is the battery box! Looks like one of the old hard rubber batteries with a lid!
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 11th March 2020 at 13:26.

Master
    Its getting a black and white tank Ian.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    This is going to look well nice Enoch. Cant wait to see it in real life pal.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Its getting a black and white tank Ian.

Very nice, reminiscent of the Phil Read helmet design.

Master
    Thats the service and engine cases done....Tomorrow is garage day and Im going to fit all my goodies...

Those casings look awesome!

Master
    Thats the service and engine cases done....Tomorrow is garage day and Im going to fit all my goodies...

Well thats my Thursday night sorted , looking at the satin black parts fitted to Andys bike, plus I guess the tank.

How does the 2020 Speedmaster compare to your outgoing bobber ? as its surely a similar engine.

Master
    Well thats my Thursday night sorted , looking at the satin black parts fitted to Andys bike, plus I guess the tank.

How does the 2020 Speedmaster compare to your outgoing bobber ? as its surely a similar engine.
    Its exactly the same engine, gearbox, gearing, wheels, tyre size etc..

As much as I loved my bobber, Im finding the Speedmaster a bit better in a couple of ways. The seat is much more comfortable, the rear suspension, although basic, does have some adjustment, and feels better damped than the unadjustable bobber unit, and the extra 3 litres of fuel is welcome..

I do think the Bobber was a better looking bike, but overall the Speedmaster is easier to live with, and a little more practical for day to day use..

Master
    Well that didnt go as planned... Thought Id get the job done today, but had trouble with the wiring on the multi function lights...

Got it sorted, and managed to get the canyon rear wheel and different rear sprocket fitted. And that was the day gone.

just noticed the bobber has pillion pegs , didnt think these came with a dual seat? they use the same frame as a speedmaster?

* hehe , just realised im looking at a single seat speedmaster- not a bobber :P
    Last edited by pugster; 12th March 2020 at 20:38.

Master
    Im calling it job done..

Handlebar risers fitted

And the finished product.

Before and after

I love that ^^^ great work

Agreed. That looks amazing. Vast improvement. I would buy that.!

Im calling it job done..
    Bloody fine job too

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Bloody fine job too
    Yep. That looks fantastic. Great work.

Master
    Seems it was worth the effort then👍👍. Glad you like it guys.😎

Seems it was worth the effort then👍👍. Glad you like it guys.😎
    Looks lovely, amazing how the changes have transformed it.

The Motorcycle Modifications Thread

The old GPz is now sporting a pair of Hel Performance radial calipers and 320mm discs!

With Hel braided brake lines leading to a Nissin radial master cylinder.

Oh, and an LED headlight for good measure.

Meanwhile, on the very slow going cafe racer, Im in the process of fabricating some footrest mounting brackets for the ZXR750 resrsets.

Im not even in lockdown (but the wife is hence much less time for the cafe racer project!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Looks lovely, amazing how the changes have transformed it.
    Im enjoying playing spot the difference, easy ones, wheels front mudguard, but then you get to covers and......

Ps Andrew did you panic buy WD40? :)
    Last edited by higham5; 10th May 2020 at 13:48.

Master
    Im enjoying playing spot the difference, easy ones, wheels front mudguard, but then you get to covers and......

Ps Andrew did you panic buy WD40? :)
    Looks that way doesnt it?

The truth is, that a couple of years ago I built a practice R6 for Joe Francis (BSB Rider from Chester). The year before he won the BSB Moto 3 championship, and his main sponsor was WD40.👍

This is the bike I prepped for him..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The old GPz is now sporting a pair of Hel Performance radial calipers and 320mm discs!

With Hel braided brake lines leading to a Nissin radial master cylinder.

Oh, and an LED headlight for good measure.

Meanwhile, on the very slow going cafe racer, Im in the process of fabricating some footrest mounting brackets for the ZXR750 resrsets.

Im not even in lockdown (but the wife is hence much less time for the cafe racer project!)
    Good work there Dave... GPz750 is still one of my favourite bikes. A mate had one back in the day, and had an accident that nearly cost him his leg. Whilst he was in hospital I fixed his bike, and he said I might as well use it. I did thousands of miles on it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Using one of these;

I made some crash bars. Then painted them yellow.

Hey, I think I saw you on the road today, about 11:45 along the A35, you were heading East towards Christchurch. I was waiting at the junction opposite Holmsley aerodrome. There simply cannot be another bike the same as yours!!!

Busted!

Did you see the crash bars first?

Craftsman
    I was in a car with the family, just going to cook some hot dogs in the forest when I saw you coming towards me. I said to everyone in the car that I knew that bike from the TZ forum and I don't think they believed me.
    But yes, the yellow bars gave the game away!

Master

Little mod today

Master
    Andy I dont even own a Triumph but I still watch in awe as you customise your bikes to suit you. The booster resonates with me as a common mod for BMW GS 650/700/800 is to fit a booster plug to clean up the slow speed throttle response.

If I remember it fools the ECU into thinking its 15 deg C colder that it is. Trouble is some of the latest GSs learn there is a resistor in the circuit and just ignore it.

Steve

Master
    Its actually 20 degrees C, but its a bit more complicated than that. Some folk think its just a simple resistor and it just chucks extra fuel into the engine.
    It does do that, but only when its required. Due to modern engines running closed loop. On a constant throttle, the lambdas correct the fueling to what is in the original map, and the booster is doing nothing.

Its only when you then adjust the throttle, the booster gives up to 6% extra fuel, this is what smooths out the response.

As I said in the video, I had the same plug fitted to my old Bobber, and it ran so much better, I also fitted one to my mates Thruxton and he felt the difference. Its a cheap mod, and easily removed so worth a try to get a smoother running bike..👍

i would have thought this could have been fixed with a remap enoch ? - im presuming the bobbers have an ecu like most modern bikes?

Master
    Probably, but Im not sure how much that would cost, and it cant be moved from bike to bike.

I think 120 ish to sort it out is OK😎