closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Motorcycle Modifications Thread

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    That’s a nice elegant solution; it makes you wonder why they didn’t do that in the first place.
    Cheers Dave.... should make the bag easy to use, therefore more likely to use it👍👍

Master
    Very neat job that Enoch and looks really tidy, the Kriega luggage is top quality.

Steve

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Not a major mod really, but got a tank pad for my Striple RS, looks way better in real life, and nice quality.

Stuart
    Last edited by cinnabull; 19th March 2019 at 22:55.

My 1st "big bike" was a 600 Hornet. Clocks were iffy, so I installed a digital dash and went for a street fighter look.

Had a few in between.... Z750 with a tri oval Beowulf can. Hardly "modified" so I'll leave the pic off this thread.

Last one.. a Ducati Monster 750ie. It was yellow originally. Resprayed in black with a gunmetal tri stripe. Carbon seat cowl, carbon heel guards and a pair of Motad Venom cans. LOVELY deep thud from it... stupidly, I sold it on.

Couple of lo-res.. crappy 10 year old videos of it.. but you'll get the idea from the sound!

That’s a nice elegant solution; it makes you wonder why they didn’t do that in the first place.
    Agreed! The Bobber seat doesn't allow the normal fixing solution so that's a superb workaround.

Can't believe I forgot to include this one! My 929RR.

Tinted double bubble screen and a few anodised bit n pieces... but the mod that mattered, a Power Commander inside the single seat conversion. All setup and dyno'd by Philip McCallen who had a bike shop just a couple miles from where I live.

Truth is... I only ever rode it to MY limits and never got to exploit anything near what there are capable of. Glad I did it though (and am still here to tell the tale!).

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Can't believe I forgot to include this one! My 929RR.

Tinted double bubble screen and a few anodised bit n pieces... but the mod that mattered, a Power Commander inside the single seat conversion. All setup and dyno'd by Philip McCallen who had a bike shop just a couple miles from where I live.

Truth is... I only ever rode it to MY limits and never got to exploit anything near what there are capable of. Glad I did it though (and am still here to tell the tale!).

What a stunning bike!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    What a stunning bike!
    Best front end EVER I rode... like a scalpel in the corner. I don't have many pics without my ugly mug in them with the bike, so here's the only shot I have from the other side. Titanium/carbon Yoshimura can was a beauty..

Stumbled on my Z750 pics and you know what.. its "lightly" modded.. so I'll slip it in here!! Loved it.. loud as **** and I had to wear an ear plug on one side to stop the pain. Ah... mid life crisis...

Replaced all the tank bolts with black anodised from "Pro Bolt". Like a stealth bomber

Master
    Not really done much to this in 2yrs, cylinder head covers (carbon), bar risers (about an inch), Mudsling rear shock protector, flip attachment for the 'screen, oh, the biggest investment was a trip to Hilltop Motorcycles in Hinckley for a tune up; now it goes like it should do-none of your flatspots to get it through the emissions legislation; now it pulls like a train! roughly 16hp and 14 more torques at the back wheel, well happy with that! :)

Have not been happy at all with the stock Pirelli Phantoms that came on my bike. No confidence in anything but perfect dry road conditions and they tracked and squirmed on any imperfection like crazy - to the point that I was really losing confidence during turn in and anything damp or greasy. Not fun. I thought it must be me but I did not experience this at all on the MT07 I trained on and on speaking to other Street Twin owners and reading about it online it seems I was not alone. So today I bit the bullet and changed them out for Continental Road Attack 3's that have been highly recommended by other UK owners.

Wow. What a difference. These are so much better and it really feels like a different bike. No tracking issues, they go where I want to go and turn in positively and more quickly with loads of grip and hold the line whilst remaining rock solid over any imperfections. No squirm at all! Impressed.

Master
    Here's my Harley 48. Old pic so not quite up to date, but it's got short shot pipes, heavy breather kit, remap, single spring seat, whitewalls, saddlebag, side mount no.plate, drag bars, speedo relocation, front fender removed, smoked lenses, a few parts blacked out.. may change the tank colour soon too. Costs a fortune to mod these and it gets addictive! Shame I don't get to ride it much. Just turned 3yrs old with only 500 on the clock.

I’ve now got the front end on (zxr400), all the clocks, switchgear and bars sorted. The steering range could do with being a little larger but they would mean modifying the frame slightly and I’m trying not to do anything that stops me returning it to standard.

I’m happy with the look and now need to get it running as well as possible and start refurbishing the peripherals.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dougjb View Post
    Here's my Harley 48. Old pic so not quite up to date, but it's got short shot pipes, heavy breather kit, remap, single spring seat, whitewalls, saddlebag, side mount no.plate, drag bars, speedo relocation, front fender removed, smoked lenses, a few parts blacked out.. may change the tank colour soon too. Costs a fortune to mod these and it gets addictive! Shame I don't get to ride it much. Just turned 3yrs old with only 500 on the clock.

Looks really nice. Thought about a side mount plate on my Street Bob, how do you get on with it?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Looks really nice. Thought about a side mount plate on my Street Bob, how do you get on with it?
    I have the official HD bracket which is expensive, but I think it's great. You can fold the plate flat against the bike when not being ridden. Really cleans up the back end up!

The Motorcycle Modifications Thread

A couple of before and afters. Next mods will be satin black rims, thicker back tyre and polished stainless spokes.

It does look a lot different to when you got it.

I like it!

The Motorcycle Modifications Thread

It does look a lot different to when you got it.

I like it!
    Thank you very much Dave, I wanted to create something different to anything else, with the suspension mods and loss of weight the handling is in another league as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Simple Satnav Solution

I thought I’d show my simple satnav solution...

I’ve had this old Nüvi 300 lying around for years, and I remembered I still had lifetime map updates for it, so thought, ok, let’s get it up to date and see if I can use it on the bike..

So I bought a cheap handlebar mount off eBay £1.43. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F282710242862

I then needed an adapter to convert the Bobber charging point under the tank from DIN to USB or car type power socket.
    eBay again £8.94. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F153383596878

Finally all I needed to do was route the cable under the tank.

I can easily remove the satnav when not needed, and the plug tucks up out of sight under the tank when not in use...

Not bad for around £10 quid

Master

Cool New Seat

Been to collect my new seat today from Mark at Dragon Seating. Motorcycle seats and saddles custom motorbike and trike seats by Dragon Seating

Some may be interested to know that Mark does all the seats for the Triumph factory development and prototype dept, so he’s obviously held in high regard by the factory.:smile2:

Anyway, to the Seat. I wanted a gell insert and that’s exactly what I got. The colour is a good match for the swing arm bag too

Then a memory foam on top

And finally genuine leather with pleats

Have to say, I’m over the moon with the look, and the gell is a real step up in comfort..

I fitted some bar end weights as I was getting some numb hands after about an hour or so on the R9T.

Minor job. 10 mins tops!

had this bike from new in 2000 for about 6 years.....very much regret selling it! Ducati Monster 600 that I caff'd with clip-ons, Rizoma mirror, vented side panels, tail end tidy, D&D pipes sounded awesome. Got tail-ended by a car at a roundabout, D&Ds got damaged and replaced with Arrows but never sounded the same.....hence moved it on but wish I'd kept it

[IMG][/IMG]

Cheers!
    Mark

Lovely, Mark - I like the Monster a lot, and still feel rather lustful towards the 821 Stealth despite loving my Street Triple.

How did it ride with the clip-ons?

Clip-ons vastly improved the handling a lot Tony, made it a lot more 'planted'. Also one important mod that further transformed the handling was taking it to DWR in Aylesbury, Dave would size up the rider and in my case simply put thicker fork oil and that further improved the front end. A very cheap mod in the end!

The M600 was replaced by a M1000 which although was more powerful obviously, the 600 was more fun I''m certain I've got some pics of the M1000 somewhere, I'll try and dig 'em out.

Cheers!
    Mark

Master

Bar end mirrors

Thought I’d update this thread with my latest mod....

I’ve never been happy with the Xdiavel bars, too high, and too wide, and look a bit crappy.. I discovered that the new Diavel 1260 uses exactly the same switch gear and on sitting on one in the showroom the bars were much more to my liking, so I ordered a set, expecting them to be a straight swap.... well they weren’t quite a straight swap so I had to modify a few bits to make them fit...

The bars themselves are different in that they’re lower, narrower, and as I discovered much thicker tubing.

The outside diameter is the same, but inside is smaller so bar ends from the X won’t fit directly into the new bars

Bars fitted and all switchgear in place

Xdiavel bars ID 17mm

1260 bars ID 14mm

This meant the brass wedges wouldn’t fit

So I turned them down to fit the new bars

And ended up with this

Now the problem is that my free bar end mirrors off my mates Thruxton won’t fit the Ducati bar ends.. Now I could easily turn down the Ducati bar ends, but they’re steel so I’d have to paint them, or I could use a set of alloy bar ends that I had sitting on the shelf which are perfect OD for the Triumph mirrors but don’t fit the Ducati bars.

The solution, turn down the original Ducati bar end, and fit it inside the alloy ones.

Anyway, the end result is that I now have bar end mirrors and bar end weights that fit and look pretty damn good... just need to do the other side now

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Top engineering skills and a good job there Enoch

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Great to see home-engineered solutions, Enoch. Top work!

Nice job Enoch; good to see you’re wearing your Rolex whilst doing the work!

I really need to get myself a lathe and milling machine!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Been to collect my new seat today from Mark at Dragon Seating. Motorcycle seats and saddles custom motorbike and trike seats by Dragon Seating

Some may be interested to know that Mark does all the seats for the Triumph factory development and prototype dept, so he’s obviously held in high regard by the factory.:smile2:

Anyway, to the Seat. I wanted a gell insert and that’s exactly what I got. The colour is a good match for the swing arm bag too

Then a memory foam on top

And finally genuine leather with pleats

Have to say, I’m over the moon with the look, and the gell is a real step up in comfort..

That's a Beauty!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Lovely, Mark - I like the Monster a lot, and still feel rather lustful towards the 821 Stealth despite loving my Street Triple.

How did it ride with the clip-ons?
    Got an 821 a few months ago and it’s a fantastic bike, put over 1000 miles on her in a couple of months. Limited mods apart from full titanium system, engine remap to sort out low speed fuelling and a K&N filter. This has transformed the bike with added bonus it now makes about 90 horsepower.

Other mods are the shorter tail tidy and comfort seat make this, imo a very good looking and useable bike.

I’ve now got the front end on (zxr400), all the clocks, switchgear and bars sorted. The steering range could do with being a little larger but they would mean modifying the frame slightly and I’m trying not to do anything that stops me returning it to standard.

I’m happy with the look and now need to get it running as well as possible and start refurbishing the peripherals.

Nice love an old Zed could do with a period exhaust like a kerker oh and the back wheel painting 😁

Quote Originally Posted by ragerover View Post
    Nice love an old Zed could do with a period exhaust like a kerker oh and the back wheel painting
    I can’t disagree re the exhaust and I’ve sourced a standard four into two for my other GPz for when I get round to it.

Both wheels really need painting; it’s still a work in progress although it did pass it’s MOT last weekend. I’ll ride it for the summer and do bits and pieces of cosmetics along the way.

Of all the things I’ve done, fixing the pillion pegs so they stay up when not needed has probably given me the most pleasure, even though the solution was very simple.

Thought I’d update this thread with my latest mod....

I’ve never been happy with the Xdiavel bars, too high, and too wide, and look a bit crappy.. I discovered that the new Diavel 1260 uses exactly the same switch gear and on sitting on one in the showroom the bars were much more to my liking, so I ordered a set, expecting them to be a straight swap.... well they weren’t quite a straight swap so I had to modify a few bits to make them fit...
    Nice work!
    Love it when parts are modified correctly to do their job.
    Rather than folding and reaching for the parts catalogue.
    Proper modification there!
    10/10

Master
    That’s the job done for now..... next job make a tail tidy.....

Got my mate to paint the radiator sides and headlamp surround in satin black... I also painted the exhaust black...

Had my first ride with the new bars, and I have to say, they’re a big improvement, much more comfy...

[/quote]

Master
    Blog Entries
    I can’t disagree re the exhaust and I’ve sourced a standard four into two for my other GPz for when I get round to it.

Both wheels really need painting; it’s still a work in progress although it did pass it’s MOT last weekend. I’ll ride it for the summer and do bits and pieces of cosmetics along the way.

Of all the things I’ve done, fixing the pillion pegs so they stay up when not needed has probably given me the most pleasure, even though the solution was very simple.

As you like classic Kawasaki’s

That’s the job done for now..... next job make a tail tidy.....

Got my mate to paint the radiator sides and headlamp surround in satin black... I also painted the exhaust black...

Had my first ride with the new bars, and I have to say, they’re a big improvement, much more comfy...
    You've almost created a full 'Dark/Stealth' model - looks much better IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    As you like classic Kawasaki’s

That’s a cracking collection, where are they?

Making a couple of assumptions from the way they’re lined up, I’d say (from left to right) the list goes like this:-

Air cooled

KH250 (or400)
    GPz550
    GPz750
    GPz750 turbo
    GPz1100

Water cooled

GPz600
    GPZ750 (could be a 900)
    GPX750
    GPZ1000RX
    ZX10

I think that’s pretty much correct. I do like the old Kwaks but could probably identify most of the other Jap stuff from that era too!

Meanwhile, the battery seems to have made a full recovery.

Master
    Blog Entries
    They belong to the owner of this bike shop it’s his personal bikes.
    He had 2 750 turbos at one time,he has other stuff as well all immaculate like a blue CB900f etc.
    They are at the back of the showroom open to view.

https://www.hughendenm40.co.uk/

I never quite got on with the Z750 Turbo, probably because I don't ride flat out all the time.

The engine was flat unless the engine was already under load and the turbo was spooled up. Overtaking up hill was a breeze, but open the throttle cruising down hill and nothing.

Preparing for overtakes I got into the habit of trailing the rear brake to get the engine to work harder to get the turbo going to avoid the lag.

Still a great experience though

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Master
    My version of a tail tidy.....number plate needs sorting, but I’ll see how f I get hassled by the law before I spend anymore time on it...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I never quite got on with the Z750 Turbo, probably because I don't ride flat out all the time.

The engine was flat unless the engine was already under load and the turbo was spooled up. Overtaking up hill was a breeze, but open the throttle cruising down hill and nothing.

Preparing for overtakes I got into the habit of trailing the rear brake to get the engine to work harder to get the turbo going to avoid the lag.

Still a great experience though

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    There was a few turbos around that time non really succeeded,I remember reading about the lag but never rode one.
    I believe you where better of with a bigger engine rather than a turbo,glad they did it though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My friends an ex ASM he’s refurbished some Nissin 4 pots and replaced my OEM 6 pot Tokicos for me.
    They have much better feel and less maintenance in the long run.

The bike I bought last year needing no work for which I paid a premium, has needed more work than any bike I’ve had in a long time.

My fault I trusted and didn’t check.

There was a few turbos around that time non really succeeded,I remember reading about the lag but never rode one.
    I believe you where better of with a bigger engine rather than a turbo,glad they did it though.
    Honda CX650T, Yamaha XJ650T, Suzuki XN85 and Kawasaki GPz750T were all available at around the same time. The Kawasaki was far and away the best of the four although the Honda wasn’t too bad. The Yam and Suzi are best forgotten.

Craftsman

I do love a ZX11 , Had a few in my day and broken a few for the heads and cranks in my aircooled dragbikes

A couple of other aircooled Zeds

Master
    Blog Entries
    I do love a big old Kawasaki,who doesent?

The last photo is that the bike shop near Wheatley?

Craftsman
    I do love a big old Kawasaki,who doesent?

The last photo is that the bike shop near Wheatley?
    No Bordon in Hampshire , long long gone

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    No Bordon in Hampshire , long long gone
    I was also in Bordon a very long time ago when motorcycle city was the big bike dealer in the area.

Craftsman
    I was also in Bordon a very long time ago when motorcycle city was the big bike dealer in the area.
    This was a guy who ran his own place it was basically in a small unit behind what is now a Shell Station , it was early 90's and the guy sponsored me and would do the occasional job on the bike and store it for me

DR800 sidestand foot made from a Rolls Royce Merlin engine piston.
    You won`t find one of these in a manufacturers authorised accessories brochure or Touratatt catologue..

(tartan slippaz shown for size comparison purposes)

Master

Cool Bobber luggage project

Thought this may be of interest to fellow owners....

I’ve been fancying the Triumph pannier kit, but have been put off by the price..

A single Bobber pannier is £179 and on top of that you need the rail which is another £62 So all in for a pannier set is £482

Anywho, on discussing this with one of the sales chaps at my local dealer, he commented that why don’t you just buy the Thruxton kit which is on offer and make it fit.... Mmmm a bit of research says this should be pretty straight forward.
    At £141 for the complete kit, it’s got to be worth a bit of effort.:wink2:

The kit comes complete with both panniers, fitting rails, and all nuts and bolts. On checking the rails, they’re really a close fit, but would require a bit of cutting and shutting, so with that in mind, I’ve ordered the Bobber specific Motone black rails which are £77 delivered.

So to fit the panniers to the Motone rails, I’m going to get 2 bars welded to the rails and bolt the panniers through them onto captive nuts on the back

Total cost will be £141 for the kit, £77 for the rails, £18 for stainless bar, nuts, bolts and washers, and £25 to get the rails professionally welded

Total cost £261 and a bit if time and effort.

I shall update as I go along...

triumph owners looking for kit need to keep an eye on the triumph outlet - some cracking bargains come upon there >
    https://www.triumphfactoryoutlet.com/